PDA

View Full Version : Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust

slayermin
05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
That is the description Tom Tolbert gave game three, using the football reference to describe the continuous barrage of post feeds to Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest. They have been using their football physiques to attack the rim and leaving Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili in their wake. They are also using their size advantage to create a mosh pit around the basket to dominate the glass.

I don't think it's soley the bigs fault for the Kings rebounding advantage. Pop has experimented with the lineup as if he was playing NBA Live which is part of the reason for the rebounding deficiency. Spurstalk has discussed the matchup problem Bruce is having with both Artest and Wells. Basically they are throwing him around like a rag doll. Since Artest and Wells are playing most of the minutes at the two and the three, Bowen's lack of offensive prowess has made him a non-factor this series.

I like timvp's suggestion of using Horry on Wells. I don't think he would be effective guarding Artest on a regular basis but Wells is another story. Wells is just a few pounds lighter, older, and less athletic than Artest. I like the Horry-Wells matchup because Rob has just enough of a size advantage to give Wells problems. Artest really hasn't been a problem on the Kings offensive end. It's his defense on Manu that has shifted the momentum of this series. It seems Adelman will feed Artest on offense to keep him in the flow but he is not their focus. Bibby and Wells are their go to guys right now. If Artest does become a problem, TD may have to play him.

Bottom line, Artest and Wells will have to be treated as bigs. The Spurs cannot let them shoot 9-11 or 12-17 from the field tonight.

Something that I heard from a HOFer soothes me in this 2-2 situation. It's ironic that it comes from a player I have labeled as overrated in my past posts. The quote is from Bill Russell before the seventh game in the '69 Finals.

He was asked by the reporter what he expected in the game seven he was about to play on the Lakers homecourt.

And Russell replies, "We've done it before."

These Spurs have been through plenty of 2-2 situations.

Will the Spurs win tonight? We will know in a few hours. But I do know one thing. The Spurs have done it before.

LakerHater0823
05-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Oberto needs to play against bonzi to box out. Not sure about Oberto's quickness but we need Bigs in the middle.

DarrinS
05-02-2006, 09:56 AM
We need someone to send a message to Bonzi and Artest. They can drive to the hoop if they want, but there's a price to pay. We can't give them those baskets uncontested.

Also, instead of taking so many jumpers, the Spurs should attack, especially Bonzi.

nkdlunch
05-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Please use all the fouls available for the bench

degenerate_gambler
05-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Game 5 has Game 1 written all over it.

boutons_
05-02-2006, 10:20 AM
The Kings have adjusted since Game1.

Note the Spurs horrible 3G shooting in Game3,4.

spursfaninnewmexico
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
I like timvp's suggestion of using Horry on Wells. I don't think he would be effective guarding Artest on a regular basis but Wells is another story. Wells is just a few pounds lighter, older, and less athletic than Artest. I like the Horry-Wells matchup because Rob has just enough of a size advantage to give Wells problems.
I like this matchup, too, but see foul problems for Horry. He would need to use the fouls to keep Wells in line, not ticky-tacks.

SenorSpur
05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
I like the suggestion of using Horry on Wells. It's time for Pop to start looking for any type of defensive answer for this guy. Hell, I'd even have Oberto go out and guard him on the wing for a spell. He can't do any worse than Bowen is now.

GiG's Doctor
05-02-2006, 12:02 PM
I like the suggestion of using Horry on Wells. It's time for Pop to start looking for any type of defensive answer for this guy. Hell, I'd even have Oberto go out and guard him on the wing for a spell. He can't do any worse than Bowen is now.
I see Wells blasting by Horry but I'm up for anything since they haven't had a answer for him yet.