PDA

View Full Version : Should we try to sign Bonzi this offseason?

superfedja
05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi guys!

I was just wondering if we should try and sign Bonzi Wells this summer. If we can't afford him we can try to make a sign-and-trade deal with another team and try to get rid of either rasho's or barry's contract. Bonzi could be the answer we were looking for replacing Bowen. What do you guys think? I would prefer JR Smith cuz he's younger but Bonzi is still good for a couple of more years.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
I think you need to learn more about the salary cap.

v2freak
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm surprised people still want Barry traded

jcrod
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
It would be nice, but it's not going to happen. Our best bet is J.R. Smith with Barry

krinkx
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
not to mention bonzi's attitude :(

PM5K
05-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Makes you wonder though, guys attitudes change when they are on winning teams, we've seen it with guys like Bonzi, and even with our own Glenn Robinson.

I wonder how the Spurs would fair if they were on the Hawks?

thispego
05-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm surprised people still want Barry traded
seriously... barry gets no respect
what will it take? he probaly has to hit a game winner/ot shot in the finals to satisy some people

Spurminator
05-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Sacramento does need a shot blocking center... Sign and Trade? [/wet dream]

Nikos
05-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Bonzi would probably play poorly on this team with their luck.....

SAGambler
05-02-2006, 11:21 PM
seriously... barry gets no respect
what will it take? he probaly has to hit a game winner/ot shot in the finals to satisy some people
Didn't he just hit a game saver a few nights ago? Seems I remember that 3 bouncing up and going in....

KingsFanWithoutName
05-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Makes you wonder though, guys attitudes change when they are on winning teams, we've seen it with guys like Bonzi, and even with our own Glenn Robinson.

I wonder how the Spurs would fair if they were on the Hawks?
Bonzi wasn't on a winning team until Artest showed up..........................invalid point.

ShoogarBear
05-02-2006, 11:22 PM
I guarantee Bonzi will not play anywhere close to this once he gets his new contract, whoever it's with.

Spurminator
05-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I guarantee Bonzi will not play anywhere close to this once he gets his new contract, whoever it's with.

Whether he's hitting shots or not, he can always be counted on to pound the glass and create matchup problems. I think in a winning situation he will be a solid player.

Just won't be here, unfortunately.

ShoogarBear
05-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Eh, I think Bonzi is just as likely to shut it off once the money's there. Unless he's in a situation where he's the unquestioned star, getting 20-25 shots a game and not having to play defense.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Bonzi, for all the genius he is currently displaying, does not have the character to do this night in night out. He showed that at Portland and Memphis. He is a cancer because of his attitude, much like Darius Miles, and once he has his money I think he will revert to type - that's what most people do after they get what they want, revert to type.

JamStone
05-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Do people forget what Bonzi when he was with the Portland Trailblazers?? He was the go-to perimeter scorer for two seasons, when they were still very good.

That was a winning team ... before playing with Ron Artest.

And, he's always been a great rebounder for a guard.

nkdlunch
05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
MOLY MOLY MOLY MOLY MOLY

Spurs would be too distracted with MR. MOLE.

I say don't get him. Also 'cause I see him as a round 1 or round 2 dominator, but not a champion contender.

efrem1
05-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi guys!

I was just wondering if we should try and sign Bonzi Wells this summer. If we can't afford him we can try to make a sign-and-trade deal with another team and try to get rid of either rasho's or barry's contract. Bonzi could be the answer we were looking for replacing Bowen. What do you guys think? I would prefer JR Smith cuz he's younger but Bonzi is still good for a couple of more years.

Cap problem. Nice thought though.

Texas_Ranger
05-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Bonzi will not come to the Spurs, I think.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Just won't be here, fortunately.

There, I fixed it for you.

Mark in Austin
Bonzi, for all the genius he is currently displaying, does not have the character to do this night in night out. He showed that at Portland and Memphis. He is a cancer because of his attitude, much like Darius Miles, and once he has his money I think he will revert to type - that's what most people do after they get what they want, revert to type.

Well said.

SA Gunslinger

:lmao

nkdlunch
05-02-2006, 11:33 PM
^ bullshit. he was money the whole series. JUst that we got Bowen, the anti-Bonzi

Nero
05-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Too expensive and will demand many years. Not the type of player that you give a multi year contract too.

trueD
05-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Sacramento does need a shot blocking center... Sign and Trade? [/wet dream]DONE.

Seriously, I don't think Bonzi gets away from Kings, he likes playing with Bibby and Artest and Maloof's owe us (fans) one for shamelessly offering Divac 2.5 million to stay on two years ago. Peja was never the same. So we traded him for Artest.

Okay, Bonzi for TD works for me.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-02-2006, 11:54 PM

That was a winning team ... before playing with Ron Artest.

You are a fucking moron. I know you don't follow the Kings, but you had to at least catch an episode or two of Sportscenter. The Kings were at least 8 games under .500 before Artest came, and that is with Bonzi.

Old School Chic
05-02-2006, 11:55 PM

Aggie-

Be nice

Winnipeg_Spur
05-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Wells has played his way well outside our price range. I'm actually quite curious how much extra money he's made by playing this well in the series.

It sure would be nice if Bonzi would go east, though.

JamStone
05-02-2006, 11:58 PM
KingsFanWithoutName,

I'm a fucking moron?

I was responding to PM5K's statement about Bonzi Wells not being on a winning team before.

I stated that Bonzi was on a "winning" Portland Trailblazers team for several years. He had a bad attitude then as well.

Did you read my post?

Fucking morons make wrong conclusions based on mistakes of fact.

You're a fucking moron.

Vingianx
05-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Jerome James anyone?

KingsFanWithoutName
05-03-2006, 12:00 AM
KingsFanWithoutName,

I'm a fucking moron?

I was responding to PM5K's statement about Bonzi Wells not being on a winning team before.

I stated that Bonzi was on a "winning" Portland Trailblazers team for several years. He had a bad attitude then as well.

Did you read my post?

Fucking morons make wrong conclusions based on mistakes of fact.

You're a fucking moron.My bad.............and yes, you are still a moron :lol

I read your jumbled statements wrong. I apologize. I see now you were mentioning the Blazers.

FloppinIsGreat
05-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Bonzi Wells is not this good, he is just having a hot streak at the right time. Hell, every dog has his day, and this series is Bonzi's. I won't believe that he is anything other than a dog with his one series until he proves otherwise in the future. He is playing very well right now, but to any team who is looking to sign him to a big contract in the future - beware. This is fools gold. This guy is normally a horrible outside shooter, but tonight he got hot. Don't count on that to last. And he may look calm now since he is playing well, but if he has any adversity he starts to act like a spoiled bitch with a horrible attitude. This is his one shining moment.

SenorSpur
05-03-2006, 12:04 AM
You don't wanna touch this guy with a 10-foot check. He's a big-time player but unfortunately he's also got some big-time attitude problems. Plus he's already played his way into a "fat", new contract.

NCaliSpurs
05-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Bonzi did this against Dallas like two years ago.

He is capable of doing it at any time.

Let's pray his game sputters at about 10:30 PM EST on Friday.

JamStone
05-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Bonzi Wells reminds me somewhat of Paul Pierce. He's got a really strong build but he's kind of short for a small forward. So, he's more of 2-guard, but he can play the post and he likes to slash. He rebounds really well for a guard. And, he can be a pretty explosive scorer. He doesn't shoot as many jumpers as Pierce, but he's still pretty good from outside.

Over the summer, as a Pistons fan, I wanted Dumars to make a move to trade for Bonzi Wells. Pistons didn't really have the pieces to make a deal. But, he would have fit in nicely as the third swing man with Rip and Tayshaun.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Eh, I think Bonzi is just as likely to shut it off once the money's there.

thekingrobert
05-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Nocioni

FreshPrince22
05-03-2006, 12:58 AM
I think it's safe to say Bonzi has earned himself a nice new contract. Probably twice what the Spurs can afford (MLE). He's not in "ring-chaser" mode yet since he's only like 28-29 or something. He'll get a nice big contract from Sacramento and call it good.

Slinkyman
05-03-2006, 01:04 AM
kings would be dumb to let bonzi go, he and artest are the kings right now. the Maloofs have the cash to pay bonzi whatever he wants and i expect them to do so.

also, if there's anybody out there i'd like to have it's jared jeffries from the wiz. 6-11 sf is just what we need and we could probably get him for the MLE or less. He's restricted so we might have to do a deal with washington, i wonder if they'd want barry?

toosmallshoes
05-03-2006, 01:06 AM
JUst that we got Bowen, the anti-Bonzi
What???? Bowen is Bonzi's bitch this series. Bonzi only looked bad for a few minutes because the spurs took out Bowen and exploited Bonzi's weakness... guarding.

cheguevara
05-03-2006, 01:07 AM
What???? Bowen is Bonzi's bitch this series. Bonzi only looked bad for a few minutes because the spurs took out Bowen and exploited Bonzi's weakness... guarding.

watch game 5 again. Whenever Bowen was on Bonzi, Bonzi struggled. THe thing is Bowen needs to prepare beforehand and needs to know who he will guard all game long.

THank GOD Pop finally came up to Bowen before the game and said, you will guard Bonzi all night tonight so be ready. and Bowen was ready. Watch the game again.

past 4 games, Bowen's task was to guard multiple players: bad idea

Slinkyman
05-03-2006, 01:10 AM
watch game 5 again. Whenever Bowen was on Bonzi, Bonzi struggled. THe thing is Bowen needs to prepare beforehand and needs to know who he will guard all game long.

THank GOD Pop finally came up to Bowen before the game and said, you will guard Bonzi all night tonight so be ready. and Bowen was ready. Watch the game again.

that's true, i think bowen was on bibby most of the time game's 1 and 2.

toosmallshoes
05-03-2006, 01:12 AM
whatever. I saw Bonzi dominate Bruce all game long. and then I saw the quick spurs guards dominate the heavy kings fours and threes. Bonzi is doing so well partly because he has to guard bowen. I never saw a single moment when I thought Bowen was in control of that matchup. 38 points???!! Even Kobe doesn't get that on Bowen. Bowen needs to guard the water cooler in the next game.

FreshPrince22
05-03-2006, 01:12 AM

Were you watching the same game I was? You know, when Bonzi had like 38 and 12. Yea, really held him in check. :lol

toosmallshoes
05-03-2006, 01:14 AM
The reason bibby is guarding bowen sometimes is because the kings are playing a zone and the spurs are switching spots on the weak side. It just looks like bibby is guarding bowen. He's really just filling space.

Slomo
05-03-2006, 01:59 AM
No

JamStone
05-03-2006, 02:07 AM
whatever. I saw Bonzi dominate Bruce all game long. and then I saw the quick spurs guards dominate the heavy kings fours and threes. Bonzi is doing so well partly because he has to guard bowen. I never saw a single moment when I thought Bowen was in control of that matchup. 38 points???!! Even Kobe doesn't get that on Bowen. Bowen needs to guard the water cooler in the next game.

*ahem!*

http://www.nba.com/games/20060306/SASLAL/boxscore.html

Kobe: 43 points against Bowen and the Spurs.

I know it's a tangental point, but still.

JamStone
05-03-2006, 02:09 AM
also, if there's anybody out there i'd like to have it's jared jeffries from the wiz. 6-11 sf is just what we need and we could probably get him for the MLE or less. He's restricted so we might have to do a deal with washington, i wonder if they'd want barry?

I think there will be several teams pursuing Jared Jeffries this summer, some with more than the MLE to offer. And, many of those teams can offer a starting position to Jeffries as well. And, I think Washington will likely try to keep him anyway.

And, no, Washington would not want Brent Barry.

MissAllThat
05-03-2006, 02:56 AM
I hate Bonz-eye, always have....i didn't remember that until this series, but I've never liked him. So...this is probably a good sign that the Spurs will get him at some point in time and I will have to try and not barf every time he's on the court.

gospursgojas
05-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Bonzi used to be the Spurs Killer back in his portland days

Then he got Paid in Memphis and disappeared

Now he will get paid in Sacto and disappear again

JamStone
05-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Bonzi didn't get "Paid" in Memphis. He was traded to Memphis when Nash decided to start getting rid of the bad apples in Portland. He was dumped to Memphis. It wasn't that Memphis gave Bonzi a big contract.

And, if you look at Bonzi's minutes in Memphis, he was still very effective considering he played less than half the game. Fratello has a hard-on for Shane Battier for some reason. Bonzi should have been playing 30+ minutes, but he played like 20 minutes a game. Had he played starter minutes, he would have put up better numbers.

I doubt he'll disappear if he stays in Sacramento. This series alone will make him a cult hero in Sacramento. And, if he stays, he'll put up some very good stats.

Kori Ellis
05-03-2006, 03:14 AM

Sorry but you're blind.

In the first half, Bonzi scored one basket on Bowen. In the second half, he scored 3 or 4 buckets on Bowen. For example in the second quarter, Bonzi had one basket on Bowen and then 10 points when Bowen was sitting. (I know for sure -- we keep logs at the game)

Bonzi scored the majority of his points with Bowen on the bench, or when someone else was switched onto him.

Despite Bonzi's 38, this was some of Bowen's best defensive work. He kept him out of the paint and off the glass.

Kori Ellis
05-03-2006, 03:17 AM

Your post is exactly right.

austinfan
05-03-2006, 06:26 AM

ITA. Bowen does best when he can pester a single player all evening long and get inside their head. Yes, Wells is on a streak right now, but how long is that going to last? Can he sustain it beyond 4 games? If Bonzi has a bad night--or, actually, a less than All-Star night--then the Kings are going to struggle, especially as Pop has made the adjustments against Artest that allowed Ginobili to score against him.

Put Bruce on Bonzi again on Friday for the whole game and I guarantee you it will reap good results for us.

A-Train
05-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Wells strikes me as a guy who's close to doing something incredibly stupid and destroying his career. Not sure I would give him $50 million, regardless of the cap rules.

Guru of Nothing
05-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Bonzi-hater here - I'd just like to point out Bonzi's missed FT in the last minute of game 2 cost the Kings the game, and possibly the series.

Back to the discussion.

A-Train
05-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Anyways, if the Spurs brought in Wells, they wouldn't change their offense for him, so he wouldn't come close to the production he's shown in this series. He also doesn't strike me as the guy who wouldn't have a problem with that.

baseline bum
05-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Bonzi Wells would never work on the Spurs. They don't need someone on the block taking shots from Tim. They don't need someone who routinely quits on his teammates. Wells would be a horrible player in San Antonio.

Slinkyman
05-03-2006, 11:31 AM
upcoming SF free agents i'd rather have then bonzi wells:

1. Jared Jeffries 6'11
2. Matt Harpring 6'7
3. James Posey 6'8
4. Jumaine Jones 6'8
5. Trevor Ariza 6'8
6. Rasual Butler 6'8

any one of those guys would fit perfectly into our system.