PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp: Hard At Work

Kori Ellis
10-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Training Camp: Hard At Work

Video: Click to Watch Manu Interview (http://video.woai.com/launcher/45019,565/)

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

The San Antonio Spurs completed their second day of training camp Wednesday. Though it is too early to tell how things will pan out for those players fighting for roster spots, Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich seemed pleased with the squad.

“Guys were working hard, it’s a good group,” said Popovich. “I would be shocked if it was anything else.

"They’re really fine people -- good work ethic. Guys are excited. We had a good competition out there.”

Point guard Beno Udrih was held out of contract drills for the second day in a row to avoid banging his already bruised knee. Small forward Linton Johnson III sat out the morning practice with a sore ankle, but was expected to compete in the afternoon practice later in the day.

Popovich plans to ease in Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili after their long summer playing in the Olympics.

“Pop hasn’t been taking it easy that much,” laughed Ginobili. “I didn’t feel it. He told us that he was going to try to take us out of the scrimmage and contact for the first couple days. But the beginning (of camp) is more for conditioning and trying to the teach the new guys the system and the plays.”

The Spurs will continue two-a-day practices through Saturday. Then on Sunday, they will hold a scrimmage at the SBC Center at 2:00pm which is open to the public. Next week they will practice once a day as they prepare for the first preseason game on October 16th.

Kori Ellis
10-06-2004, 08:41 PM
It sucks that Beno is still hurting.

I hope he can get healthy and stay healthy.

TwoHandJam
10-06-2004, 08:46 PM
For some reason I have this pessimistic notion that he'll be somewhat like Speedy. He'll be great when he's healthy but he won't be healthy that often. I hope I'm wrong. If his style of play is really reckless and all-out as advertised, I could see him getting hurt playing against the larger and stronger NBA competition. He's going to need to do some strength training.

SequSpur
10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Beno is no better than Garcia or the other foreigner we had last year.

Dude has never played a lick in the NBA. He is going to get killed.

timvp
10-06-2004, 09:10 PM
For some reason I have this pessimistic notion that he'll be somewhat like Speedy. He'll be great when he's healthy but he won't be healthy that often.

Exactly

BronxCowboy
10-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Hopefully they notice Beno's tendency to injury in time to keep Marque Perry around.

wildbill2u
10-07-2004, 12:20 PM
I hope that someone who is able to attend the workouts and squad games will give us a day-to-day report about what's going on, who looks good, who's on the bubble, etc.

This thread looks like a good place.