PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Redskins Article...

scott
10-06-2004, 07:23 PM
http://g.msn.com/0MNBUS00/2?http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6187825&&CM=EmailThis&CE=1

Duff McCartney
10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Man..what's the fucking deal with that site? It's making my IE crash.

ducks
10-06-2004, 07:55 PM
it is msn's page

MSN SUCKS!

scott
10-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Here you go...

Woeful Redskins make for sad Snyder
Seems no matter what Washington owner does,
who he hires or how much he spends, his team stinks

COMMENTARY
By Tony Kornheiser
Columnist

Updated: 9:21 p.m. ET Oct. 6, 2004

You're Dan Snyder, and you must be wondering: "What do I do now?"

You spent all the money in the world, and your team is 1-3.

Your team has no offense. Your coach has no timeouts left when he needs them. And your players can't hold onto the ball.

You have the highest payroll in the history of pro football. After four games you have one win, and you haven't even played anybody good yet.

You're Dan Snyder, and you must feel like you're sinking.

From the moment you bought the Redskins you've poured your heart and your money into the team — your team, the team you worshipped and adored as a child — and nothing seems to have worked. You brought in big-name players like you were in a Fantasy Football draft. They stunk. You cut them. You brought in big-name coaches. They lost. You fired them.

You inherited Norv Turner, and you couldn't wait to get rid of him. He made the playoffs one time so you had to wait a year or so. Then you bounced him out 13 games into the season — with a winning record! Who does that? You replaced him with Terry Robiskie on a look-see basis, and after the players wheezed under Robiskie, he was gone, too.

You were sensitive to criticism that you meddled too much into football affairs, so you reached out for a man who was two parts coach, and two parts battalion commander, Marty Schottenheimer.

You gave him total control.

You regretted it instantly.

He took total control. And then some.

You hated him.

You kept wanting to bring in more players. He kept wanting to hire more of his relatives.

The team started 0-5. But you kept Schottenheimer as coach, even though it was plain to everybody who talked to you that you were miserable.

You wanted to show what a patient man you were. You wanted to prove the critics wrong. The team rallied impressively to 8-8, and then you fired him. Go figure.

You hired Steve Spurrier, the coach you'd wanted in the first place. You paid him more money than any coach in the history of the NFL.

Imagine how much you would have paid him if he'd actually coached, say, one NFL game before you hired him. You loved Spurrier. You brought him everywhere.

You told people you were such good friends you were going to take vacations together. This was going to last forever. This guy, Steve Spurrier, was the right guy.

Halfway through his second season you couldn't wait for him to leave. Too many Gators. Too many college coaches on Spurrier's staff. Too many losses. Not enough coaching 'em up.

You're Dan Snyder and you could hear the boos and sense the discontent. You were making money — you've always been great at making money. But you weren't making friends. You wondered what you could do to turn things around. Bringing in high-priced veterans didn't seem to do it. Changing defensive coordinators every single year didn't seem to do it. Even when you went through the draft and snagged players like Jon Jansen, Chris Samuels and LaVar Arrington, you still weren't winning. How could this be? You loved the team. You opened your wallet. You were the kind of owner every fan should want. Couldn't they all see that? What more could you possibly do?

So you took the longest shot of all. You called Joe Gibbs, who hadn't coached in 11 years. Who had retired from football. Who seemed unattainable.

You said, "Come home."

You're Dan Snyder, and you thought you hit the lottery. You got the coach of your youth, the coach of your dreams — the one you truly wanted all along, but assumed you had no shot at whatsoever.

You're Dan Snyder, and finally you did something so right it couldn't go wrong.

Now they'd all have to love you.

The press coverage was phenomenal. Everybody lined up to praise you for bringing Joe Gibbs back. Everybody said Gibbs would set things right; Gibbs was exactly what this organization needed. Everybody was in favor of Joe Gibbs. If Bill Parcells could go to Dallas and take a team that went 5-11, 5-11 and 5-11 in the three years before he got there, and immediately coach them to 10-6 and the playoffs, so can Joe Gibbs. Heck, Joe Gibbs can take the Redskins to 11-5 or 12-4. Joe Gibbs has magic. Joe Gibbs has miracles in pocket.

You're Dan Snyder, and it was music to your ears. Everybody loved Joe Gibbs so much and was so optimistic about the Redskins they even bought your obstructed-view seats. You're Dan Snyder, and you were making even more money. And smiling. And everything was great. When people said the words "Super Bowl," you didn't discourage them. In your wildest dreams you were there, holding the Lombardi Trophy over your head as the confetti rained around you and the cheering never stopped.

You're Dan Snyder, and you beat Tampa Bay. That's one.

And now that's it. One. You lost to the Giants, who hated their coach so much they wanted to mutiny. You lost to Parcells and the Cowboys here, at home, on Monday night; oooh, that stung. Then you lost to the Cleveland Browns, who stink, and your big fish, Clinton Portis, the most expensive running back in the league, couldn't hold onto the ball again. The red-flag challenges are lost. The timeouts are lost. The games are lost.

For the first time Joe Gibbs looks like less than an immediate savior. You're Dan Snyder, and there's nothing left to throw at the team, because you threw in the kitchen sink when you hired Gibbs. That was the biggest and best move you ever made.

You're Dan Snyder and you must be wondering, "Now what?"

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

maxpower
10-06-2004, 09:24 PM
You have the highest payroll in the history of pro football. After four games you have one win, and you haven't even played anybody good yet.

Is he still trying to buy his way into a good record. Isn't this the same song and dance he tried however many years ago before Deion went into broadcasting...?

bigzak25
10-06-2004, 10:49 PM
why don't you guys worry about your sorry sack of shit team that hasn't done shit since '95......

we got one more playoff win since then than you since then....and you know what...it doesn't mean shit....superbowls are what count...you got 5...congrats....we're gonna catch up....beleeeve dat.

samikeyp
10-06-2004, 11:38 PM
that sorry sack of shit team...that has 13 of 14 over Washington? :p

You're still my bro, Zak...but I had to drop that one. :)

Jimcs50
10-07-2004, 01:02 AM
But other than that 13-1 record, Washington has a better record, a winning record in that time frame, and Dallas has a losing record....Dallas is a one trick pony.

bigzak25
10-07-2004, 08:41 AM
that record against us is impressive for Dallas, and just plain shameful for my Skins....no denying the facts....no offense meant mike....i got a healthy respect for dallas, even though i hate that team with a passion...(i personally don't think hate is too strong a word...i hate the lakers too....)...and i was posting from the tavern after a couple, and it's hard to keep the true feelings down.....but anyway...

Here Is an Even Better Article-

Joe Gibbs Reminds Struggling Team That He’s Joe Gibbs

WASHINGTON, DC--After getting off to a 1-2 start and struggling badly on offense, the Washington Redskins hardly have the look of a Joe Gibbs coached football team. They haven’t been particularly efficient or disciplined, and there have been times when they’ve actually resembled last year’s much maligned group. Gibbs was hired to bring credibility back to the Skins and to show the players what it means to be on a winning team and play tough, mistake-free football. However, he has failed to inspire his players thus far and has spent the last week of practice reminding them that he is, in fact, hall of fame coach Joe Gibbs.

“I am Joe Gibbs, people,” Gibbs told his players at practice yesterday. “Remember? I won three super bowls. I am an elder statesman of the game that brings credibility and respect to our franchise. I am a stoic, old school, disciplined leader that is supposed to inspire reverence as well as confidence. Come on, get it together. I’m ****ing Joe Gibbs.”

When the team announced the hiring of Gibbs last spring, Redskins fans rejoiced. After two years under the inexperienced Steve Spurrier, the players and the fans were craving a respected coach that could lead the team to the promised land. Gibbs brings the track record, but so far his team has yet to respond to his awesomeness.

Sportswriter Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post has placed the blame for this oversight squarely on the shoulders of the players.

“You’ve got Joe Gibbs coaching here. Joe Gibbs. If you can’t win with that guy, there’s something wrong,” said Wilbon. “Just look at him. Look at him standing on the sidelines like an old battle-scarred commander overseeing his troops. Look at his perfectly parted hair and his meticulously tucked-in shirt. And those glasses that scream ‘Pay attention to me, son. You just might learn something.’ I’d go to war for a guy like that any day of the week. Hell, I’d strap on a helmet and join the team right now. I wonder if I’d be able to get the time off from PTI. They’re usually pretty strict about that kind of thing.”

With the addition of Gibbs, fans expected to see a huge contrast between this year’s team and last year’s team, coached by Spurrier. When they signed free agent running back Clinton Portis, those expectations rose even more. But much to everyone’s chagrin, very little has changed. Even the players themselves are at a loss. Veteran wide receiver Rod Gardner explains:

“I can’t understand why my play hasn’t improved under Coach Gibbs. I’ve always been a decent, middle-of-the-road type receiver but I though this year I would rise to a new level and be compared to guys like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. But not much has changed. Why? It’s puzzling. We’ve got Coach Gibbs now and I just figured his presence would transform me into a better player. I mean, just look at the guy. He’s a goddamn icon. It’s like being coach by General Patton. I’m actually waiting for him to whip out a machine gun and just start shooting people. That’s the kid of tough love this team needs.”

In order to light a fire under his players, Gibbs has embarked on a campaign to raise awareness about his accomplishments, accolades and winning personality. Yesterday after practice, the players and coaching staff were treated to a video montage highlighting Gibbs’decorated career. The coach is hoping it will instill in the players some of the greatness that has made him a coaching legend.

“Players are like children. They need to be reminded of things over and over again. Since we’re not undefeated and have not crushed each of our opponents with a cold, steel precision, it’s obvious that my presence isn’t having the desired effect. So I’m just going to beat into their heads that they’re playing under me, Joe Gibbs. I’ve got lots of great footage of me standing on the sidelines holding my chin looking thoughtful. If that doesn’t light a fire under the team, then I guess I’ve lost touch with today’s players.”

If there is one thing that’s changed in Washington this year, it’s the mentality of Daniel Snyder. The normally restless, impulsive owner has taken a patient approach to Gibbs’ coaching tenure. Regardless of the team’s early struggles, Snyder will never lose faith in his new coach’s abilities.

“I couldn’t be less worried,” he said. “I have complete and total faith in Joe’s coaching skills as well as those of his staff. I’m sure he’s just getting a feel for his players and today’s game. Eventually he’ll turn this team into the well-oiled machine that it was in the 80’s. It just might take a few years.”

Snyder believes that Gibbs should have a permanent place in Washington, regardless of how the team fares.

“Look, even if by some miraculous freak of nature the team fails, coach Gibbs will have a lifetime pass on the Redskins sidelines. Even if I eventually fire the guy, I could hire a younger, better coach and just leave Joe on the sidelines to inspire the team with his presence. All he would have to do is just stand there looking reflective and flash those shiny superbowl rings. Heck, maybe we could just have him bronzed and stick him in the tunnel so the players could rub his head for good luck on their way onto the field. Come to think of it, we can bronze Mark Brunell, too. But instead of using him for good luck, we can toss him into the Potomac.”

"I’m ****ing Joe Gibbs, Bitch!" -Joe Gibbs :lmao

http://www.thebrushback.com/gibbs_full.htm

Duff McCartney
10-08-2004, 01:44 PM
But other than that 13-1 record, Washington has a better record, a winning record in that time frame, and Dallas has a losing record....Dallas is a one trick pony.

Maybe so Jim...but nothing gets you more pissed than the fact that you are that one trick pony.