PDA

View Full Version : Some Random Thoughts

xrayzebra
05-03-2006, 09:26 AM
This from Mr. Thomas Sowell. The man is one of the most down to earth
people I have ever read. Read, enjoy and learn.

Random thoughts

By Thomas Sowell

May 2, 2006

Random thoughts on the passing scene:

Some people think they have bad luck when the real problem is that they took bad chances.

Parents who are both conscientious and realistic discover sooner or later that they cannot do the job to their own complete satisfaction, much less to their children's complete satisfaction.

In a democracy, we have always had to worry about the ignorance of the uneducated. Today we have to worry about the ignorance of people with college degrees.

Helen Thomas has been called "the dean of White House correspondents." After some of her recent remarks, someone suggested that she should be called the Howard Dean of White House correspondents.

I love cheap watches. For no other product are the cheapest versions just as effective for their basic purpose as versions costing ten or a hundred times as much.

Does it tell you something about our times when a representative of the Taliban is welcome on the Yale University campus but representatives of our own military forces are not?

President Bush says that it is "unrealistic" to think that we can deport 12 million illegal immigrants. It is also unrealistic to think that we can catch all murderers, but does that mean that we should de-criminalize murder? Or turn loose the murderers we do catch?

The political left loves to depict its ideas as "new" — a practice which is itself centuries old on the left, as are the ideas themselves.

As rising rates of intermarriage erode race as a biological reality, political hype makes it an increasingly heated issue.

How can people who say we don't have enough troops in Iraq advocate that we intervene militarily in Darfur?

The biggest enemy of real equality is make-believe equality. Some peoples, such as the Scots and the Japanese, lagged far behind for centuries before moving to the forefront of achievement. Pretending that they were equal during the centuries when they were not might have prevented the changes that developed their ability.

Speakers at big rallies urging "guest worker" status for illegal immigrants remind me of no guest I have ever seen, except Sheridan Whiteside, the overbearing title character in "The Man Who Came to Dinner."

Compromising by splitting the difference may solve many immediate problems by creating bigger long-run problems. Splitting the difference rewards the side with the most extreme and most intransigent position, guaranteeing continuing unreasonable demands and the continuing strife this generates.

I am so old that I was on Jeopardy before Alex Trebek was on Jeopardy and on Meet the Press before Tim Russert.

Many of the same people who claim that mental tests are not valid for college admissions decisions, or for employment decisions, nevertheless consider these tests valid for deciding that a murderer cannot be executed when he scores low on such tests — even though he has no incentive to score high.

People who go ballistic over the high pay of some CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation seldom bother to figure out whether, if that CEO agreed to work for nothing, that would be enough to bring the price of a one-dollar product down to 99 cents.

Some people say it is "name-calling" if you refer to someone as a liberal. There is nothing inherently negative about the word "liberal." If it has acquired negative overtones, that is because of what liberals have done and the consequences that followed.

A number of the nation's leading colleges — including Harvard, Amherst, the University of Chicago and the Naval Academy — will admit students who have not finished high school. Many outstanding students would do well to get out of high schools that are wasting their time and go straight into college.

One of the few encouraging signs in the current political scene is that Senator John McCain finished behind several other candidates in a Republican straw poll for Presidential candidates. Apparently his self-centered opportunism has not gone unnoticed, despite the good press he has gotten by pandering to the media.

Thomas Sowell is the prolific author of books such as Black Rednecks and White Liberals and Applied Economics.

Read more about Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Sowell, Thomas Read more about Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One by Sowell, Thomas

Copyright © 2006 Townhall.com

Find this story at: http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/thomassowell/2006/05/02/196035

The emphasis is mine not his......

Nbadan
05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Sowell is an idiot.

Nbadan
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
By the way, did you know that not even the U.S. State department classifies the Taliban as a terrorist organization...

In the latest State Department report last Friday, one item went unnoticed by the press, until now: the US doesn't classify the Taliban as terrorists -- and haven't for the last six years.

The find was made by CSMonitor.com's Tom Regan. The US does classify other groups on the US hit list as terrorists -- such as Hezbollah, al Qaeda and Hamas.

"In an article entitled 'Terrorism's Dubious "A" List,' the non-partisan Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) reports that the religious extremist organization has never been listed as a terrorist group by the US, Britain, the EU, Canada, Australia, or any of the coalition partners, despite the fact that during its six year rule in Afghanistan, it provided save haven for Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, and currently is staging terrorist attacks against coalition forces and waging a national campaign of intimidation and fear," Regan notes.

"In a CFR Q&A on the Taliban, Chistopher Langdon, a defense expert at the Institute for International Strategic Studies, describes the group as "an insurgent organization that will periodically use terrorism to carry out its operations," he adds.

Raw Story (http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/US_doesnt_classify_Taliban_as_terrorists_0503.html )

Nbadan
05-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Dubya transformation into Richard Nixon is almost complete...

http://mysite.verizon.net/res063d1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bush-balancing.jpg

Well, except, Nixon managed to get the troops out of Vietnam.

Yonivore
05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Sowell is an idiot.
Care to qualify that statement? Oh, and it being your opinion doesn't count.

xrayzebra
05-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Sowell is an idiot.

Yeah dan, you should wish you were such an idiot. Instead of
being just the ignorant person that you are. Or could I just call
you a racist, like you would me for making the statement that
you did.

SA210
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah dan, you should wish you were such an idiot. Instead of
being just the ignorant person that you are. Or could I just call
you a racist, like you would me for making the statement that
you did.
racist!

Nbadan
05-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Care to qualify that statement? Oh, and it being your opinion doesn't count.

Sowell clarifies that statement with every new column he writes.

Frank Brickowski
05-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Thomas Sowell:

A.B. Economics - Harvard University
A.M. Economics - Columbia
PhD Economics - University of Chicago

Idiot, I think not. Me thinks Dan doesn't like Mr. Sowell's political leanings.

Nbadan
05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Thomas Sowell:

:rolleyes

Ahmed Chalabi has a PHD in Mathamatics. So what?

A liar is liar.

Yonivore
05-03-2006, 03:54 PM

Ahmed Chalabi has a PHD in Mathamatics. So what?

A liar is liar.
First he was an idiot now he's a liar? Waiting for you to support two characterizations now...

JoeChalupa
05-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Sowell always bashes the left but I read his stuff all time so I can be fair and balanced like FauxNews.

Frank Brickowski
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Dan,

I think I understand now. Anyone who has different political, social or economic views than you do is an idiot and a liar.

JoeChalupa
05-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Thomas Sowell:

Those are great degrees he has and I'm sure there are many so called "left-wing liberals" with great credentials as well.

An idiot he is not...but then again Bush has a degree from Harvard..no?

Ocotillo
05-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Those are great degrees he has and I'm sure there are many so called "left-wing liberals" with great credentials as well.

And Yale.....ouch. legacy

JoeChalupa
05-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Dan,

I think I understand now. Anyone who has different political, social or economic views than you do is an idiot and a liar.

That also appears to be the case with many other posters in this forum from BOTH sides.

Yonivore
05-03-2006, 05:00 PM

And, the President's not an idiot either. What's your point?

JoeChalupa
05-03-2006, 05:10 PM
And, the President's not an idiot either. What's your point?

That is a matter of opinion. I'm sure your opinion of Clinton differs from mine and you probably think I'm an idiot. :lol

Nbadan
05-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Dan,

NO, anyone who it took till last year to finally admit there were no WMD's in Iraq is an idiot.

jochhejaam
05-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Sowell is an idiot.
You're so articulate. :clap

scott
05-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't agree with all of his political takes, but Thomas Sowell is no idiot. He's a good economist, as evidenced by his writings on economic matters. How he applies that thinking to other subjects, however, is up to the reader to decide.

RandomGuy
05-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I will decide what is random.

http://media.funny.co.uk/files/2800.jpg

Yonivore
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
That is a matter of opinion. I'm sure your opinion of Clinton differs from mine and you probably think I'm an idiot. :lol
Clinton was no idiot, he was worse...and you? You're just a bleeding heart liberal.

Nbadan
05-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I'd comment on this article, but what's to comment about? Like most of Mr. Sowell's opinion pieces, this one doesn't make any real points. G-Town could have written this opt piece.

JoeChalupa
05-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Clinton was no idiot, he was worse...and you? You're just a bleeding heart liberal.

Thanks for proving my point. And you? You're just a bleeding heart libertar.., err, confused, close-minded, right-wing confused doofus. :lmao

Mr. Peabody
05-04-2006, 08:50 AM
This from Mr. Thomas Sowell. The man is one of the most down to earth
people I have ever read. Read, enjoy and learn.

Random thoughts

President Bush says that it is "unrealistic" to think that we can deport 12 million illegal immigrants. It is also unrealistic to think that we can catch all murderers, but does that mean that we should de-criminalize murder? Or turn loose the murderers we do catch?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Great analogy.

Phenomanul
05-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Yes, that's exactly what it means. Great analogy.

Yeah.... unfortunately that analogy is how many Americans want to view immigration.... as a flux of criminals instead of a flux of workers...

RandomGuy
05-04-2006, 08:00 PM
24% of lawns have some sort of lawn ornament.

RandomGuy
05-04-2006, 08:01 PM
C4 plastic explosive gets its name from the fact that it is comprised of four carbon atoms and its explosive kick from the fact that those atoms are arranged at 90 degree angles to each other.

RandomGuy
05-04-2006, 08:01 PM
A recent study of 2,500 men at the University of Bristol and Queens University of Belfast found that men who have at least three or more orgasms a week are 50 percent less likely to die from heart failure or coronary heart disease.

RandomGuy
05-04-2006, 08:02 PM
If you, ehem, expelled intestinal gas consistently for six years and nine months, enough gas would be produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

xrayzebra
05-05-2006, 09:20 AM
If you, ehem, expelled intestinal gas consistently for six years and nine months, enough gas would be produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

Or about one days worth of the "gas" expelled on this forum would do the
same thing.....
:lol

DarkReign
05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Or about one days worth of the "gas" expelled on this forum would do the
same thing.....

this was actually funny.

Nbadan
05-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Dispised in Germany we are...

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) - The official team bus to be used by the United States during the World Cup will not bear a flag for security reasons.

The 32 official buses were presented Thursday in Frankfurt and the other 31 buses have large national flags of the their teams painted on rear sides.....

The bus is predominantly blue in color.

MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5574344)

SA210
05-05-2006, 11:12 AM
the President's not an idiot either.
:lmao Stop it Yoni, you're killing me :lmao

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) - The official team bus to be used by the United States during the World Cup will not bear a flag for security reasons.

The 32 official buses were presented Thursday in Frankfurt and the other 31 buses have large national flags of the their teams painted on rear sides.....

The bus is predominantly blue in color.
So, all they have to do is look for the bus without a flag?

101A
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Dispised in Germany we are...

MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5574344)

Germany?

Great point.

The population of Germany is the most unbiased, open-minded, least likely group of individuals to collectively hate any group they are told to hate. They are learned, calm, even tempered and extremely just in all they have ever done.

We must be really bad for Germans to hate us.

scott
05-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah.... unfortunately that analogy is how many Americans want to view immigration.... as a flux of criminals instead of a flux of workers...

Well said, hegamboa

scott
05-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Germany?

Great point.

The population of Germany is the most unbiased, open-minded, least likely group of individuals to collectively hate any group they are told to hate. They are learned, calm, even tempered and extremely just in all they have ever done.

We must be really bad for Germans to hate us.

Great sarcasm!

Signed,

Guru of Nothing
05-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Great sarcasm!

Signed,

What a homer!

RandomGuy
05-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

xrayzebra
05-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

Except when you are a husband. Husbands always blink first!