PDA

View Full Version : No More Soda in Schools

Spurminator
05-03-2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/03/AR2006050300319_pf.html

Nearly All Sodas Sales to Schools to End

By SAMANTHA GROSS
The Associated Press
Wednesday, May 3, 2006; 8:31 AM

NEW YORK -- The nation's largest beverage distributors have agreed to halt nearly all soda sales to public schools, according to a deal announced Wednesday by the William J. Clinton Foundation.

Under the agreement, the companies have agreed to sell only water, unsweetened juice and low-fat milks to elementary and middle schools, said Jay Carson, a spokesman for former President Bill Clinton. Diet sodas would be sold only to high schools.

Cadbury Schweppes PLC, Coca-Cola Co., PepsiCo Inc. and the American Beverage Association have all signed onto the deal, Carson said, adding that the companies serve "the vast majority of schools." The American Beverage Association represents the majority of school vending bottlers.

The deal follows a wave of regulation by school districts and state legislatures to cut back on student consumption of soda amid reports of rising childhood obesity rates. Soda has been a particular target of those fighting obesity because of its caloric content and popularity among children.

"It's a bold and sweeping step that industry and childhood obesity advocates have decided to take together," Carson said.

A man who answered the phone at Cadbury Schweppes' London headquarters said no one was available for comment. Calls seeking comment from the other distributors were not immediately returned early Wednesday.

Nearly 35 million students nationwide will be affected by the deal, The Alliance for a Healthier Generation said in a news release. The group, a collaboration between Clinton's foundation and the American Heart Association, helped broker the deal.

"This is really the beginning of a major effort to modify childhood obesity at the level of the school systems," said Robert H. Eckel, president of the American Heart Association.

Under the agreement, high schools will still be able to purchase drinks such as diet and unsweetened teas, diet sodas, sports drinks, flavored water, seltzer and low-calorie sports drinks from distributors.

School sales of those kinds of drinks have been on the rise in recent years, while regular soda purchases by students have been falling, according to an ABA report released in December. But regular soda is still the most popular drink among students, accounting for 45 percent of beverages sold in schools in 2005, the report said.

The agreement applies to beverages sold for use on school grounds during the regular and extended school day, Carson said. Sales during after-school activities such as clubs, yearbook, band and choir practice will be affected by the new regulations. But sales at events such as school plays, band concerts and sporting events, where adults make up a significant portion of the audience, won't be affected, he said.

How quickly the changes take hold will depend in part on individual school districts' willingness to alter existing contracts, the alliance said. The companies will work to implement the changes at 75 percent of the nation's public schools by the 2008-2009 school year, and at all public schools a year later.

Many school districts around the country have already begun to replace soda and candy in vending machines with healthier items, and dozens of states have considered legislation on school nutrition this year.

The agreement follows an August decision by the American Beverage Association to adopt a policy limiting soft drinks in high schools to no more than 50 percent of the selections in vending machines. That recommendation was not binding.

© 2006 The Associated Press

ObiwanGinobili
05-03-2006, 09:54 AM
about fricking time.

I never figured out how any one thought coke in school was a good idea.

ShoogarBear
05-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Do they still sell Hos-Hos and Twinkies in public schools?

ObiwanGinobili
05-03-2006, 10:02 AM
there were never twinkies or ho ho's in MY public school.
there was hot lunch, cold lunch or salad bar.
juice, milk, choco milk.

ShoogarBear
05-03-2006, 10:08 AM
We used to have Twinkies and Ho-Hos in vending machines.
Right next to the cigarette vending machines.
I think they balanced each other off, so we didn't have this obesity problem.
I bet if they let kids smoke, those calories would burn right off.

Old School Chic
05-03-2006, 10:10 AM

You must be talking about the 70's or 80's :lol

ShoogarBear
05-03-2006, 10:11 AM
http://www.usps.com/images/stamps/99/fashion.jpg

Old School Chic
05-03-2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.usps.com/images/stamps/99/fashion.jpg

You Old School You :lol

ObiwanGinobili
05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
My mom used to smoke at school. she had to have a permission slip form her mom, it was a boarding school.

ShoogarBear
05-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, we could smoking in the designated "smoking area".

If you were under 18, you had to have a permission slip from your parents.

I didn't smoke, but occasionally made some $$ by signing permission slips. :)

SpursWoman
05-03-2006, 10:29 AM
My mom used to smoke at school. she had to have a permission slip form her mom, it was a boarding school.

The first year they quit letting that happen was my Freshman year at Roosevelt. :fro

I have no problem with this at all. NEISD has a parent portal online now so I can look at what my kids buy on their lunch account ... including extra servings, extra ice cream, cookies or whatever.

I'm all for independant thought and giving my kids certain freedoms and all of that crap, but kids (young ones especially) aren't exactly known for their will power to stay away from things that are soooo bad for them when they taste soooo good and mom's not looking.

But just the sodas aren't going to cut it. I went to eat lunch with my daughter a few weeks ago, and the only thing they offered that day in the lunch line anywhere remotely healthy was a salad...consisting of one paper thin slice of tomato and about 1/4 cup shredded lettuce. The rest was just crap.

:fro

ObiwanGinobili
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I went ot public school in CT so I have no idea what goes on in Texas... but from everythign my husband has told me....... ick.

tlongII
05-03-2006, 10:33 AM

We must have gone to the same school.

ShoogarBear
05-03-2006, 10:36 AM
We must have gone to the same school.

We also used to play dodgeball the old fashioned way.

Coach would leave us in the gym with a bunch of balls and say "see ya".

That was also a good way to combat obesity, though occasionally at the sacrifice of an eye.

Old School Chic
05-03-2006, 10:43 AM

That was also a good way to combat obesity, though occasionally at the sacrifice of an eye.

:lol

Oso you make me laugh every day

SpursWoman
05-03-2006, 10:45 AM

Man ... I loved it when it rained. :devil

Old School Chic
05-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Man ... I loved it when it rained. :devil

I assume you were one of the meanies :lol

tlongII
05-03-2006, 01:25 PM

There was a lot less child obesity back then. We actually had to go to gym class everyday. I don't think that's required any more.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
How long before Starbucks finds a way to swoop in to fill the void?

MissAllThat
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Coke isn't gonna do it. They took all that crap away from us a long time ago. Then they brought it back...or well some of it. The vending machines actually were taken away for longer, and we did get an extra water machine (dasani yay for that) in place of a coke one. I'm glad they're leaving the diet drinks in, because sometimes that caffeine is really really needed. As long as they keep vending machines though nothing good is going to happen. And I can't say that any of the crap they serve in the lunch line is even remotely healthy. It was all pretty gross back when i went there.

Vashner
05-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Coke isn't gonna do it. They took all that crap away from us a long time ago. Then they brought it back...or well some of it. The vending machines actually were taken away for longer, and we did get an extra water machine (dasani yay for that) in place of a coke one. I'm glad they're leaving the diet drinks in, because sometimes that caffeine is really really needed. As long as they keep vending machines though nothing good is going to happen. And I can't say that any of the crap they serve in the lunch line is even remotely healthy. It was all pretty gross back when i went there.

Sounds like you would thrive in an 1800's western school.

If you think todays food and drink are bad....

No AC and a huge 7 layer young ladies school dress. Plus crap rotten food and having to walk home a couple miles.

(Not picking on ya just saying put it in perspective and be happy to have basic things).

MissAllThat
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Ha Vashner, i never ate the food they served at school. I'm just saying it was all pretty unhealthy.

JoeChalupa
05-04-2006, 06:30 AM
We didn't even have vending machines when I was in school and the cafeteria food was pretty damn good.

Friendly Freddy
05-04-2006, 07:02 AM
I think kids should have a choice. :)

CharlieMac
05-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Ha Vashner, i never ate the food they served at school. I'm just saying it was all pretty unhealthy.

The food meets all of the nutritional guidelines it's supoosed to. It's a lot healthier than you think. Now whether it taste good or not is a different story.

On topic, I like this move, but I dont. I'd just buy my soda before I go to school either way, it's probably cheaper. But the kids should have options. I really would be suprised if Starbucks swooped in like someone mentioned earlier.

pache100
05-04-2006, 08:48 AM
On topic, I like this move, but I dont. I'd just buy my soda before I go to school either way, it's probably cheaper. But the kids should have options. I really would be suprised if Starbucks swooped in like someone mentioned earlier.

Me, too...like this move and don't. I certainly understand wanting kids to have healthier choices in schools...emphasis on choices. But, nutrition education should begin at home. Kids should know what healthy choices are and why.

We had Coke machines in our high schools in my junior and senior years of high school. And, it was the high point of my day sometimes, to go running to that drink machine at lunch time (or after school if I had a club meeting) and get an ice-cold bottle of Coke or Sprite...sometimes they were so cold, there were ice crystals on the outside of the bottle. I didn't have one every day; and I always asked my Mom before I left for school if I could get one. If she said no (like, "No, we are going to the baseball game tonight and you will want one there. If you'd rather have one at school, you can't have one later.") I pretty much only had one soft drink a day; the rest of the time, I drank iced tea, milk, or water. And, many days, I just didn't have any money for a Coke at school. And, you also have to bear in mind that in the deep South, where I grew up, Coca Cola ruled - their HQ was only 50 miles away in Atlanta. Nobody questioned it back then.

But, I think the difference between then and now is that kids are bombarded with unhealthy foods and drinks from all sides. And money is more available for junk food than it was when I was a kid. If that were the only place they were exposed to soda, I wouldn't have a problem with it in school. But, they get it whenever and wherever they want (at least the kids I know do), even at home; and I rarely see children drinking milk or water in restaurants any more. It sounds to me like this is one more area where kids cannot control themselves and/or parents cannot or will not control them, so the powers that be are taking things into their own hands. If that's what it takes (a baby step) to get kids' nutrition in line and cut down on obesity...I'd have to say, grudgingly, that I'm for it. :depressed