PDA

View Full Version : Is an organized sway tactic not allowed during opponents FTs???

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Why don't we do it? Steve Kerr once mentioned on his yahoo column that this tactic employed at Duke really works.... Everyone behind the backboard section moving side-to-side in a syncronized fashion....

Kori is this something we could organize for the next home game maybe with flyers that describe the tactic and its effectiveness???

We know the balloons don't work because the background looks like "noise" and can be filtered out by focusing on the rim.... when the background however, pops to the foreground on account of the syncronized motion, lining up a shot becomes a more difficult for task for the shooter.... If anything it makes them think more about their shot and that is distraction enough...

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Or wear orange shirts.

I wish I could have seen the PHX game last night in HD to see how that view looked.

Ginofan
05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
It was hard enough to get people to buy tickets to Game 5, you actually think you can get something like this together? Good luck, SA fans are spoiled and lazy.

nkdlunch
05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
An army of Bravatars would do the trick for me

LilMissSPURfect
05-03-2006, 11:06 AM
sounds good....(now if someone is willing to give me a ticket i would definately participate ;-)!!!!!!!

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 11:12 AM
It was hard enough to get people to buy tickets to Game 5, you actually think you can get something like this together? Good luck, SA fans are spoiled and lazy.

It can be organized through that respective section's jumbotron... Also, the task can be delegated to the cheerleaders facing that section...

Of course in that section you would probably have to deal with apathetic fans, drunk fans, opposing fans, or you hit the nail on the head.... lazy fans.

We need to get Angel_luv to shove some people around and enforce this policy. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-03-2006, 11:12 AM
http://myspace-995.vo.llnwd.net/00592/59/90/592300995_l.jpg

Imagine this. ^^^

Well, with a winning program, butts in the seats and multiple people with basketball boobies jumping up and down on free throws and that's it.

If you look directly behind the cheerleader on the left of the pic and see a blue-shirted arm, that's me. I can attest to the effectiveness of Lindsay's basket-boobs. We had one of our own players do a double-take on an inbounds play, then go on a 7-point run, steal, rebound and 2 blocks in a span of two minutes.

We've had opposing players miss FTs and one double-take and have a pass go off their hands and out of bounds.

Believe me, we let them have it the rest of the game, and it was much easier since we were three feet from the court.

Spurs fans, that can be you with orange balls on your breasts.

ShoogarBear
05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah, but how would you focus that distraction on just the opposing players if everyone in the crowd was wearing them, JB?

bdubya
05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
At the Palace, we use cups filled with liquid instead of with silicone.

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 11:21 AM
The only reason I bring this up is cause I'm tired of people coming to our house to get bailed by the refs and then getting free points.... Let's make them nervous... let's make them lose their aggresiveness toward our hoop... Let's make them fear the line.

Kevin '80's haircut' Martin is frickin' 16 for 16 from the FT line at the AT&T Center... (27 for 27 for the series)... It's the fans' job to make the trip to the FT line a more difficult task for the opponent by being smart and organized as opposed to being rude and unruly (though there are times for the latter....)

We all know when Timmy starts missing his free-throws he somehow seems to infect the team with it... it's a major momentum killer.... We too can influence the game and kill the other team's momentum with this tactic...

We need to find a way to get this organized!!!

angel_luv
05-03-2006, 11:24 AM
It can be organized through that respective section's jumbotron... Also, the task can be delegated to the cheerleaders facing that section...

Of course in that section you would probably have to deal with apathetic fans, drunk fans, opposing fans, or you hit the nail on the head.... lazy fans.

We need to get Angel_luv to shove some people around and enforce this policy. :lol

We need to move the club 200 people down and let the rich snobs look down on everyone from above.

Granted there are some great lower level fans we should let stay down there- Dr, Schwartz for one. He is always into it. :)

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
:monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey
:monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey :monkey

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
or

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

See how hard it is to focus on a stationary point when the background moves???

Unfortunately I can't put more emoticons than that to get a better feel for the effect...

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Kori.... is this even possible???

LEONARD
05-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Instead of concentrating on ways to make other teams miss, maybe the Spurs should just work on their own FT shooting?? :oops

Jimcs50
05-03-2006, 12:04 PM
The Aggies sometimes will be totally quiet right up until the shooter is ready to release the FT, then they all yell in unison and it always make the FT shooter flinch, it seems to be the most effective tactic.

ggoose25
05-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Why don't we do it? Steve Kerr once mentioned on his yahoo column that this tactic employed at Duke really works.... Everyone behind the backboard section moving side-to-side in a syncronized fashion....

Kori is this something we could organize for the next home game maybe with flyers that describe the tactic and its effectiveness???

We know the balloons don't work because the background looks like "noise" and can be filtered out by focusing on the rim.... when the background however, pops to the foreground on account of the syncronized motion, lining up a shot becomes a more difficult for task for the shooter.... If anything it makes them think more about their shot and that is distraction enough...

i went to duke. that tactic isnt as effective as some hairy guy that would strip down to a speedo and dance while everybody sat down and got quiet. the ft shooter missed like 50% of the time!

SA210
05-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Great Thread. :tu

Love the idea. Let's make it happen.

FromWayDowntown
05-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Instead of concentrating on ways to make other teams miss, maybe the Spurs should just work on their own FT shooting?? :oops

Probably because free throw shooting hasn't been a huge problem in the series. The Spurs are shooting 79.3% for the series and are 81-95 from the line (85.3%) at home in the series.

The Spurs missed 6 free throws in Game 3 and lost by 1, but the Kings took 10 more attempts in that game and missed 2 more free throws, so the misses were essentially a wash. In Game 4, the Spurs missed 10 free throws, but even if they had made all of those, they still would have lost by double figures.

SA210
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Maybe the Spurs themselves can work on that.

But this is about what us the fans can do to help any way we can.
I love the idea.

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 12:23 PM

It's about getting the fans to kill the other team's momentum and swagger... more so than the points...

You don't think hitting 27 straight free-throws gives the player added confidence to take a shot he probably would otherwise pass-up???

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
The Aggies sometimes will be totally quiet right up until the shooter is ready to release the FT, then they all yell in unison and it always make the FT shooter flinch, it seems to be the most effective tactic.

Even better Jim!!!

Let's combine both tactics.... a quiet sway back and forth with both hands above and square with the shoulders.... suddenly everyone yells!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH or Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccck!! !

Again,

Let's make them nervous...
let's make them lose their aggresiveness toward our hoop...
Let's make them fear the line. Instead of gaining confidence from it....

KingsFanWithoutName
05-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Even better Jim!!!

Let's combine both tactics.... a quiet sway back and forth with both hands above and square with the shoulders.... suddenly everyone yells!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH or Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccck!! !

Again,

Let's make them fear the line. Seeing that the next game is in ARCO, I get the feeling that you have all conceded game 6 and are getting ready to employ your tactics in game 7.

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Seeing that the next game is in ARCO, I get the feeling that you have all conceded game 6 and are getting ready to employ your tactics in game 7.

I'm talking about Dallas and Detroit :D

Brutalis
05-03-2006, 12:45 PM
In the late 70s and 80s when Arkansas Razorbacks Basketball was always in national contention, fans at the home games would sway left and right while waving.... dunno if it worked but was hilarious to watch.

FloppinIsGreat
05-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Or everyone in the building and jump up and down at the same time to see if we can make the baskets sway side to side... :lol :lol

George W Bush
05-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Or everyone in the building and jump up and down at the same time to see if we can make the baskets sway side to side... :lol :lol

STOP!

Be careful what you say there fella.

One jump by T Park and the whole arena comes down faster
than you can say Go Spurs Go!

:wow

We'd all be toppled quicker than Saddam.

God Bless America :tu

LEONARD
05-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Even better Jim!!!

Again,

Let's make them fear the line. Instead of gaining confidence from it....

Fear the line?? WTF?

Some of the people that post here are out of their minds...seriously...

Sasha
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Actually, lots of San Antonio fans would buy tickets if they could afford them.

Ginofan
05-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Actually, lots of San Antonio fans would buy tickets if they could afford them.

There were plenty of 11 dollar tickets available Tuesday morning...You can't get much cheaper than that for a playoff ticket to see the defending champs.

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Fear the line?? WTF?

As in "the trip to the line" :rolleyes

Just cause you don't understand it??? Thanks for clarifying that it is you who interprets what is sane and what is not.... :wakeup

Anyways not everyone in the league relishishes a trip to the free-throw line.... and it really depends on the circumstances of the game.... Ask Duncan if he wanted to go to the line in Games 3 & 4 of last year's Finals???

LEONARD
05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
As in "the trip to the line" :rolleyes

Just cause you don't understand it??? Thanks for clarifying that it is you who interprets what is sane and what is not.... :wakeup

Anyways not everyone in the league relishishes a trip to the free-throw line.... Ask Duncan if he wanted to go to the line in Games 3 & 4 of last years Finals???

Probably because Duncan is a terrible FT shooter and fears the airball'd FT like in Sac in game 4. I doubt if he ever TRULY looks fwd to "the line"... :lol

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Probably because Duncan is a terrible FT shooter and fears the airball'd FT like in Sac in game 4. I doubt if he ever TRULY looks fwd to "the line"... :lol

You don't think that same feeling can be instilled on other players no matter how good their FT percentage is if they start missing their FTs in any given game????

That's what I was talking about.

The Great One
05-03-2006, 01:29 PM
we tried that in la, but all of the 92 lbs women with eating disorders didnt make much of a difference. The rest of the women with fake boobs ended up knocking themselves out... silicone to the face is a crying shame...

The Great One
05-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Fear the line?? WTF?

I fear the line. Like the plague

Sasha
05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
There were plenty of 11 dollar tickets available Tuesday morning...You can't get much cheaper than that for a playoff ticket to see the defending champs.

No kidding??!! The cheapest we found were $85 - and this was even before the playoffs started!

Where do you go to get tickets that inexpensive? Thanks!

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Kori do you have enough connections to get something like this organized?

The fans could pull 'the tactic' out of their hat and stun the opposing team....

LEONARD
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Kori do you have enough connections to get something like this organized?

The fans could pull 'the tactic' out of their hat and stun the opposing team....

***crickets***

:smokin

bdubya
05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Maybe the Spurs themselves can work on that.

But this is about what us the fans can do to help any way we can.

Maybe if everybody behind the Spurs' basket pointed at the rim while slowly and clearly saying "BALL GOES THERE"?

SA210
05-03-2006, 04:17 PM
***crickets***

:smokin
The sound in Dallas after Spurs advance to the WCF's. :smokin

Kori Ellis
05-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I think the only person who could organize it and make it work is The Coyote.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2006, 04:22 PM
This is all a moot point anyway. You all are talking about college. College kids can have their concentration easily disrupted at the line. These guys are professionals! Professional basketball players don't miss free throws!! That's why they call them FREE! Just roll two points on the board everytime there's a foul. That's my idea.

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 05:21 PM
This is all a moot point anyway. You all are talking about college. College kids can have their concentration easily disrupted at the line. These guys are professionals! Professional basketball players don't miss free throws!! That's why they call them FREE! Just roll two points on the board everytime there's a foul. That's my idea.

Though a great deal of concentration is required by the player and his muscle memory would also take over..... the problem we would be introducing resides in how the human brain interprets its visual field under certain 'atypical' scenarios.

The brain is not used to seeing everything markedly move back and forth... and that begins to affect the player's balance. If you affect his sense of balance ultimately you can affect his shot....

Some have stronger focus than others but at the end of a game... this can affect their accuracy.

Phenomanul
05-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I think the only person who could organize it and make it work is The Coyote.

Can we give him a condensed version of this thread as a memo?? :lol :lol

SoCalSpursFan
05-03-2006, 06:03 PM
These guys are professionals! Professional basketball players don't miss free throws!! That's why they call them FREE! Just roll two points on the board everytime there's a foul. That's my idea.

/shaq

/tim

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2006, 06:05 PM
I need to always remember the blue.

ALVAREZ6
05-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Air horns. They work really well.

http://www.blowoff.com/images/big_prod_pics/blowit/horn.jpg

Phenomanul
05-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Air horns. They work really well.

http://www.blowoff.com/images/big_prod_pics/blowit/horn.jpg

Yeah they can also make you lose your sense of hearing permanently... I'll pass.

Ginofan
05-04-2006, 09:01 AM
No kidding??!! The cheapest we found were $85 - and this was even before the playoffs started!

Where do you go to get tickets that inexpensive? Thanks!

Manny had some from the Ticketmaster website Tuesday morning. Maybe they didn't release all the tickets at the same time and a bunch were released Tuesday morning, TM is notorious for that.