PDA

View Full Version : Spurs always start slow...

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2004, 08:12 PM
I have seen this tired cliche in thread after thread the last few weeks...and quite honestly don't believe it applies to the 2004-2005 Spurs...

I don't know exactly how the vbookie thing works but is it possible for a won/loss record prediction for say the first 15-20 games and let these naysayers put their vmoney where their mouths are?

obviously it is a stupid bet to put a lot of money on an exact record prediction but is it possible to do a "closest" takes all bet? can administrators do this or is vbookie a great add on (bowing to Kori and LJ) that can't be modified?

just curious...

I sense a lot of sucker money out there...

timvp
10-06-2004, 08:35 PM
obviously it is a stupid bet to put a lot of money on an exact record prediction but is it possible to do a "closest" takes all bet?

I'll look into it.

As far as a slow start goes, I agree that it isn't too likely this season. Their only excuse is that they plan to bring Duncan and Manu along slowly, but the Spurs have enough talent to overcome that.

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
you and Kori rock LJ...

BigVee
10-07-2004, 10:04 AM
This year's early schedule looks tougher however. They have @Memphis a 4th game in 5 nights, at ATL on a back to back, (remember last year?), @ Denver-home Utah back to back, and overall, 9 road games in the first 15, ending the month at Dallas. 11-4 would be a great start.

FromWayDowntown
10-07-2004, 10:14 AM
I don't know that we can expect the Spurs to come flying out of the gate to start the season, since Pop is masterful about building a team over the course of the season and having it play its best ball after March ("SPAM," right?). To save from burnout, Pop might keep his foot on the brake pedal a bit in the early stages. But, I think the main thing is to avoid the kind of disasterous start that kept them out of the #1 spot last year. From 9-10, the Spurs still got within a game of winning the division, and had they just taken that late March game in Minnesota, they would have won the stupid thing. But if the Spurs had started even 10-9, even with that late loss in Minny, the Spurs would have tied for the division title and would have clinched the #1 seed by virtue of a better conference record than Minnesota. Even with a horrendous start, it was that close.

Just get off "pretty good" this year, and everyone should have to win one to SA in the late spring or early summer to get that golden ball.

I'd take a 13-7 or even a 12-8 start, but I think they'll be better than that.

Ginofan
10-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Although it may not look like THESE Spurs could start slow...I still feel that it'll happen. Duncan and Manu are suffering from fatigue...that will hurt us a little bit even though Pop's going to manage their minutes closely. We also have to get Brent intigrated into the system. I don't think we'll be going slow for too long, but none the less it'll be a little bit of a slow start.

Jimcs50
10-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Spurs will start out 10-10 then run off 12 straight. :)