PDA

View Full Version : Tskitishvili wants trade

ducks
10-07-2004, 09:49 AM
ack of playing time for ex-first-round pick is reason for request

By Chris Tomasson And Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News
October 7, 2004

Denver Nuggets forward Nikoloz Tskitishvili, who has played sparingly in two seasons, has asked his agent to seek a trade.

Tskitishvili revealed Wednesday night he has made the request to his agent, Steven Heumann. He anticipates Heumann will discuss the situation with Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe when he visits Denver on Tuesday.

"I told my agent I really want to get traded," Tskitishvili said. "He said, 'Don't worry about it. I'm coming in Tuesday and I'm going to talk to Kiki.' "

This isn't the first time Tskitishvili has requested a trade. He said he instructed his agent last summer to seek a deal. The Nuggets looked but couldn't move him.

Tskitishvili, 21, barely has played since being the No. 5 pick in the 2002 draft.

With the off-season acquisition of forward Kenyon Martin, he sees little hope for the future.

"If you don't play, you don't get better," Tskitishvili said. "This is my time (to improve). . . . (The Nuggets) don't really want to let me go, but how are they going to play me? Five minutes. . . . (It will be) better if I change teams, go to a team that doesn't have a star forward."

Heumann could not be reached for comment. Vandeweghe is willing to discuss Tskitishvili's request.

"Skita's a part of our team," he said. "That's the first thing everybody's got to understand. I want the best for Skita.

"I've always said that if a player comes to me and really wants a trade, will I look? Yes.

"Will I do anything to hurt the team? No. . . . I think Skita's a good player and I think we need him. I will do everything to try to convince him this is a good place for him. Do I take those requests seriously? Yes. Do they change? Yes."

Vandeweghe said Tskitishvili "loves it" in Denver and his "only issue" is playing time.

"Skita is very competitive and he wants to be great," Vandeweghe said. "That's what I love about him."

The Nuggets must decide by Oct. 31 whether to pick up fourth- year contract options on Tskitishvili and forward Nene, whose situation appears to be a no-brainer.

Vandeweghe said he will wait until the deadline before announcing a decision on both.

CAMBY STILL HUNGRY: Enjoying the financial security that comes with a new eight-figure contract, Marcus Camby is ready to take a dive.

Repeatedly.

Never shy about drawing a charge or diving after loose balls, the Nuggets center insists he will not become spoiled by his new six-year contract that could be worth as much as $67 million if he meets various incentives.

"Championship. Every year, that's always been my No. 1 goal," Camby said. "You don't really play for money. If you're a real player, you play for pride and you play to win rings."

After missing 106 games from 2001-03, Camby averaged 8.6 points, 10.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocked shots in a career-most 72 games last season.

Camby is drawing added motivation from competition for the final spot in the starting lineup. Either he or Nene will start alongside Martin and small forward Carmelo Anthony.

"I'm a team player," Camby said. "If coach wants me to come off the bench, I'll do that, but I have pride and I want to start."

ETC.: The Nuggets will visit soldiers at Fort Carson on Wednesday afternoon, a day before their first preseason game, at the World Arena against the Milwaukee Bucks. The Nuggets will head to Fort Carson after practicing in Denver. They will stay overnight in Colorado Springs in preparation for the game against Milwaukee. The Nuggets have a history of supporting troops. They visited military bases overseas in 2002 and Vandeweghe leaves tickets for military personnel at home games . . . For the second consecutive day, Martin (bruised rib cage), Nene (strained hamstring) and guard Voshon Lenard (back spasms) missed practice. Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik said the injuries aren't serious.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3236224,00.html

Marcus Bryant
10-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Hmmm.

exstatic
10-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Horrible draft choice. Dude couldn't even get into games in Europe. I'm sure they're going to want to get value, but what's the value of a busto #5 overall draft pick?

He's not getting any better on their bench, yet that's where he remains.