PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kennedy DWI coverup

Vashner
05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Flash from Drudgereport ...

KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Thu May 04 2006 17:12:05 ET

Police labor union officials asked acting Chief Christopher McGaffin this afternoon to allow a Capitol Police officer to complete his investigation into an early-morning car crash involving Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-R.I.), son of Sen. Ted Kennedy.

ROLL CALL reports: According to a letter sent by Officer Greg Baird, acting chairman of the USCP FOP, the wreck took place at approximately 2:45 a.m. Thursday when Kennedy's car, operating with its running lights turned off, narrowly missed colliding with a Capitol Police cruiser and smashed into a security barricade at First and C streets Southeast.

“The driver exited the vehicle and he was observed to be staggering,” Baird’s letter states. Officers approached the driver, who “declared to them he was a Congressman and was late to a vote. The House had adjourned nearly three hours before this incident. It was Congressman Patrick J. Kennedy from Rhode Island.”

Baird wrote that Capitol Police Patrol Division units, who are trained in driving under the influence cases, were not allowed to perform basic field sobriety tests on the Congressman. Instead, two sergeants, who also responded to the accident, proceeded to confer with the Capitol Police watch commander on duty and then “ordered all of the Patrol Division Units to leave the scene and that they were taking over.”

A source tells the DRUDGE REPORT: "It was apparent that the driver was intoxicated (stumbling) and claimed he was in a hurry to make a vote.

"When it became apparent who it was, instead of processing a normal DWI, the watch commander had the Patrol units clear the scene. The commander allowed other building officials drive Kennedy home."

This morning's incident comes just over two weeks after Kennedy was involved in a car accident in Rhode Island.

"I was involved in a traffic accident last night at First and C Street SE near the U.S. Capitol," Kennedy said in a written statement released by his office. "I consumed no alcohol prior to the incident. I will fully cooperate with the Capitol Police in whatever investigation they choose to undertake."

Developing...

Nbadan
05-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Kennedy Blames Accident on Sleep Medicine
May 4, 10:29 PM (ET)
By ANDREW MIGA

WASHINGTON (AP) - Rep. Patrick Kennedy crashed his car near the Capitol early Thursday, and a police official said he appeared intoxicated. Kennedy said he had taken sleep medication and a prescription anti-nausea drug that can cause drowsiness.

Kennedy, D-R.I., addressed the issue after a spate of news reports. His initial statement said, "I consumed no alcohol prior to the incident."

Later, however, he issued a longer statement saying the attending physician for Congress had prescribed Phenergan on Tuesday to treat Kennedy's gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and intestines.

Kennedy said he returned to his Capitol Hill home on Wednesday evening after a final series of votes in Congress and took "prescribed" amounts of Phenergan and Ambien, another prescribed drug that he occasionally takes to fall asleep.

"Some time around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote," his second statement said. "Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication."...

Funny how this non-story didn't slip by any of the so-called 'liberal' media today, but of course not, he's a Democrat.

Vashner
05-05-2006, 01:53 AM
At least he didn't drive into the river like Ted, hiccup..

shelshor
05-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Flash from Drudgereport ...
:drunk Like father, like son :drunk

jochhejaam
05-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Kennedy said he had taken sleep medication
Taking sleep medication my butt. Why would you take it when you're going to be on the road at 2:45 in the morning?
Lying sonofafemaledog, should have just said he fell asleep at the wheel, that's a much more believable lie.

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 09:45 AM
What's it going to take before something is done? Him flipping a '68 Olds off a bridge in Chappaquiddick and allowing his female passenger to drown?

Oh wait...that's been done and nothing happened there either.

This fool had an accident in Rhode Island last month. I wonder if it was prescription drug-related as well. Which, incidentally, is just as against the law as drunk driving in D.C. I wonder if his confession will get him arrested.

For the record, Mary Jo Kopechne was unavailable for comment.

Oh, Gee!!
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
If this was your average black guy, the cops would have shot him.

Oh, Gee!!
05-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Widespread corruption and abuse of power in the repug party doesn't get Yoni's blood boiling, but he's ready to pop an anuerysm because Ted Kennedy's son could potentially get away with a (gasps)....Misdemeanor. The humanity!!!

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Widespread corruption and abuse of power in the repug party doesn't get Yoni's blood boiling, but he's ready to pop an anuerysm because Ted Kennedy's son could potentially get away with a (gasps)....Misdemeanor. The humanity!!!
The corruption is bi-partisan and my blood is boiling. I've already said those, in Congress, who are found to have violated the law should be arrested and prosecuted.

All I can do is vote.

As far as Ted Kennedy's son goes...I wonder how many "breaks" his father received from the police before he drove Mary Jo Kopechne off the bridge?

Oh, Gee!!
05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
2400+

Edit: Ooops, my bad. I thought you asked how many soldiers W has sent to die for this bullshit war.

Vashner
05-05-2006, 10:53 AM
WTF Ambian? It says on the bottle DO NO TAKE while driving or operating machinery.

You take it 15 minutes before bed.. WTF kind of excuse is that?

It's not legal to take prescriptions in a manner other than directed.

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I thought you asked how many soldiers W has sent to die for this bullshit war.
That's because you're an idiot or illiterate; or both.

Oh, Gee!!
05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
That's because you're an idiot or illiterate; or both.

or sarcastic.

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 10:59 AM
or sarcastic.
Nah, that takes wit.

Nbadan
05-05-2006, 11:00 AM
The officer who publicly claimed Kennedy smelled of alcohol wasn't even at the scene...

Louis P. Cannon, president of the Washington chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police, who was not on the scene, said the congressman had appeared intoxicated when he crashed his Ford Mustang into a barrier on Capitol Hill.

"The officers on the scene, it is my understanding, smelled alcohol. And based on his demeanor and their experience, believed him to be intoxicated," Cannon told Chen.'

CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/05/politics/main1590253_page2.shtml)

Fucken corporated media. Won't investigate the Cheney shooting for shit, but is all over this story like fucken white on rice.

fuck them!!

SA210
05-05-2006, 11:03 AM
WTF kind of excuse is that?
It's not legal to take prescriptions in a manner other than directed.

Damn, you're right Vashner,

Why couldn't Rush Limbaugh get it?

j-6
05-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Is this the same guy who was out picking up tramps with William Kennedy Smith in Florida fifteen years ago?

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 11:10 AM
The officer who publicly claimed Kennedy smelled of alcohol wasn't even at the scene...
I'm thinking the FOP representative heard this from the police at the scene. Because, you see, you can't speak truth to Democrat power without repercussions.

Fucken corporated media. Won't investigate the Cheney shooting for shit, but is all over this story like fucken white on rice.

fuck them!!
You've got to be fucking kidding! The hunting accident was top of heap for two straight weekly news cycles. We all know more about being peppered and the sizes of birdshot vs. buckshot, etc...than we ever wanted to know.

Nbadan
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
You've got to be fucking kidding! The hunting accident was top of heap for two straight weekly news cycles. We all know more about being peppered and the sizes of birdshot vs. buckshot, etc...than we ever wanted to know.

Then why did the police leave and come back the next morning?

Why hasn't anyone questioned why the only reported witness to the shooting has contradicted her own story?

Why didn't Cheney rush to the hospital to check on his friend? Wouldn't that have been the normal thing to do?

So many questions left unanswered. Man, it's like Colbert said in his piece. If we only had a media that stood up to this administration.

SA210
05-05-2006, 11:16 AM
A sign that conservatives are afraid of "loosing" this years election?

Ocotillo
05-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking the FOP representative heard this from the police at the scene. Because, you see, you can't speak truth to Democrat power without repercussions.

Bull.

The media were howling like a bunch of jackals. More about why didn't the national press get the story first. What we don't know. How much was Cheney drinking? Why was the Sheriff turned away and not allowed to speak with Cheney the day of the shooting? Why was there no sobriety test given to Cheney? Why didn't Cheney' accompany the man to the hospital?

I don't think the media is biased one way or the other, they are biased toward the sensational these days. Clearly, they rarely do any leg work and investigate things anymore.

SA210
05-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Continue Kennedy DWI Coverup investigation at all costs!

Meanwhile, Cheney's HWI (Hunting While Intoxicated) and shooting man in the face... Not important. Damn liberal bias!

-Vashner

:lmao

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM
"Voting for Democrats is like picking your nose. You like to do it, but you're not proud of it."

Crude, but apt. And, on a serious not, why on earth is a lost, pathetic nonentity like Patrick Kennedy a member of Congress? What possesses people in his Rhode Island district--does he have some connection with Rhode Island?--to vote for him? Can the people of Rhode Island possibly be proud of being represented by a slow-witted, uninformed young man with admitted psychiatric and drug problems? I assume not.

So why is Patrick Kennedy a Congressman? And why on earth can't the presumably-sane people who live in his district vote him out?

Obviously, Kennedy is a Congressman because of his last name. But the question is not an idle one. We live in an era in which most people are puzzled by the actions of Congress: Why are there earmarks? Why can't the majority rule on issues like immigration? Why is it impossible to talk rationally about issues like Social Security and energy costs? Why can't spending be cut? Ever, for anything?

I wouldn't push this theory too far, since, obviously, the Kennedys are close to unique in American politics. But still: maybe the dysfunction that is so obvious in Patrick Kennedy's case is a window onto a more pervasive problem. Maybe the same weird, but real, forces that result in a nonentity like Kennedy being an entrenched member of Congress help to explain why the institution as a whole is so unresponsive to Americans' needs and preferences.

JoeChalupa
05-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Kennedy...kennedy.....kennedy...swing batter swing!!!!

This is wrong. No way the first police officers should have been excused from the scene and a sobriety test should have been administered on the spot just like if it was my ass that had caused the accident.

JoeChalupa
05-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Oh, and I'm a Democrat and DAMN proud of it!!!!

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Vashner
05-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I want to see the police mgmt get fired more than this guy. The crime was the coverup not the DUI. It's the dirty cops that worry me.

Drunk congressman? That's normal...

JoeChalupa
05-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I want to see the police mgmt get fired more than this guy. The crime was the coverup not the DUI. It's the dirty cops that worry me.

Drunk congressman? That's normal...

I concur.

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Rich Galen (http://www.mullings.com/) looks at another Democratic Congressman with some woes of his own.

Thursdays papers were chock full of a report that a guy named Vernon L. Jackson had plead guilty to bribing Democratic Congressman William J. Jefferson of Louisiana on some Nigerian Internet deal he wanted to sell to the US government.

Jefferson denied any involvement, saying he was "surprised and disappointed to learn of Vernon Jackson's guilty plea."

We have a guy who has plead guilty to bribing Jefferson. Not guilty of ATTEMPTED bribery. Bribery.

Bribery requires a briber and a bribee. To believe that Vernon Jackson could bribe William Jefferson without William Jefferson actually taking a bribe from Vernon Jackson requires a suspension of disbelieve amounting to a religious adherence to the concept of an immaculate deception.

This is a pretty complicated case, bribe-wise, but the shorthand appears to be that Congressman Jefferson demanded that money be paid to a phony company set up by his wife and son. If Jefferson is going to claim that the money went to his family and not to him and so he was never bribed, he is going to be laughed right out of court and right into the federal slammer.

You have to read the whole thing to get a sense of the scale of this thing. According to the LA Times, the Vice President of Nigeria is involved. The Vice President of Nigeria is not exactly living in Nigeria.

No. According to the LAT federal agents, "obtained a search warrant against the vice president of Nigeria, who owns a mansion in Potomac, Md., where he lives with a wife who holds U.S. citizenship."

Talk about a Vice President in a secret undisclosed location.
Duke Cummingham must be grateful to have someone else take the spotlight for egregiously corrupt behavior. Of course, Jefferson won't get the play in the media that Cunningham (deservedly) or Tom DeLay (undeservedly) received. Nancy Pelosi will still intone about the "culture of corruption" despite all evidence that the culture is bipartisan.

101A
05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Crude, but apt. And, on a serious not, why on earth is a lost, pathetic nonentity like Patrick Kennedy a member of Congress? What possesses people in his Rhode Island district--does he have some connection with Rhode Island?--to vote for him? Can the people of Rhode Island possibly be proud of being represented by a slow-witted, uninformed young man with admitted psychiatric and drug problems? I assume not.

So why is Patrick Kennedy a Congressman? And why on earth can't the presumably-sane people who live in his district vote him out?

Obviously, Kennedy is a Congressman because of his last name. But the question is not an idle one. We live in an era in which most people are puzzled by the actions of Congress: Why are there earmarks? Why can't the majority rule on issues like immigration? Why is it impossible to talk rationally about issues like Social Security and energy costs? Why can't spending be cut? Ever, for anything?

I wouldn't push this theory too far, since, obviously, the Kennedys are close to unique in American politics. But still: maybe the dysfunction that is so obvious in Patrick Kennedy's case is a window onto a more pervasive problem. Maybe the same weird, but real, forces that result in a nonentity like Kennedy being an entrenched member of Congress help to explain why the institution as a whole is so unresponsive to Americans' needs and preferences.

And in this veign, as someone who has voted for him twice, how the hell does GW have such a succesfull political career? If not for being his father's son, dude is an insurance salesman (and not a particularly good one).

This country has a serious problem of who is becoming politicians, and ultimately our leaders.

Bush, Gore, Kerry - you mean since '00 THOSE have been the sum total of our choices. I'll take door #4, thank you, and just go with whatever it is.

There is more serious, informed and passionate debate on this board, on both sides, than EVER exists in Washington, radio, TV or anywhere; I mean it's not just the politicians, its the idiots, knee-jerks and entertainers that cover them, as well. Has anybody ever met a Journalism major and thought, "damn, there's some brain-power there!"

Clinton was too slick, and smart enough to get over whenever he needed to, Bush is too dumb, Cheney's always up to something (not the least of which, net worth). AND there are not politicians on the near horizon who look like they have the stones and intelligence to change it.

Hillary? :lol

McCain? :lol

Even the debates are now ridiculous. It's just too easy to find enough stupid, corrupt or unpatriotic things any number of Republicans OR Democrats have done! I hated the way Democrats ran Congress. I hate the way Republicans are running Congress.

Gridlock, I believe, is the start of the answer. I think Democrats need to go ahead and grab Congress, then they can spend the next two years investigating Bush, and can't spend so much time writing bad laws.

Then they can take the White House in '08, while surrendering at least one house back to the Republicans, and we can get back to nothing happening - which is the most we can hope for, if we continue to make people like this our "leaders".

Yonivore
05-05-2006, 12:52 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0505062kennedy1.gif
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0505062kennedy2.gif
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0505062kennedy3.gif
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0505062kennedy4.gif

101A
05-05-2006, 12:57 PM
"Going to make a vote" :lol

Pulling that hoping the constitution would save his drunk ass.

Why was he even worried? He's a freaking Kennedy! A little bad press, but ain't nothing gonna come of this.

Vashner
05-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Yea he has the standard Kennedy "MEDIA PASS"

He was sleepwalking. Just like Ted when that lady was drowning underwater..

Damn that Ambien..

Vashner
05-05-2006, 01:58 PM
And in this veign, as someone who has voted for him twice, how the hell does GW have such a succesfull political career? If not for being his father's son, dude is an insurance salesman (and not a particularly good one).

This country has a serious problem of who is becoming politicians, and ultimately our leaders.

Bush, Gore, Kerry - you mean since '00 THOSE have been the sum total of our choices. I'll take door #4, thank you, and just go with whatever it is.

There is more serious, informed and passionate debate on this board, on both sides, than EVER exists in Washington, radio, TV or anywhere; I mean it's not just the politicians, its the idiots, knee-jerks and entertainers that cover them, as well. Has anybody ever met a Journalism major and thought, "damn, there's some brain-power there!"

Clinton was too slick, and smart enough to get over whenever he needed to, Bush is too dumb, Cheney's always up to something (not the least of which, net worth). AND there are not politicians on the near horizon who look like they have the stones and intelligence to change it.

Hillary? :lol

McCain? :lol

Even the debates are now ridiculous. It's just too easy to find enough stupid, corrupt or unpatriotic things any number of Republicans OR Democrats have done! I hated the way Democrats ran Congress. I hate the way Republicans are running Congress.

Gridlock, I believe, is the start of the answer. I think Democrats need to go ahead and grab Congress, then they can spend the next two years investigating Bush, and can't spend so much time writing bad laws.

Then they can take the White House in '08, while surrendering at least one house back to the Republicans, and we can get back to nothing happening - which is the most we can hope for, if we continue to make people like this our "leaders".

Straying off topic a bit? Bush is kicking ass ....

If you want to do a "door 4" or whatever make another thread.

let's talk about this subject.

Ocotillo
05-05-2006, 02:14 PM
If he was drinking and driving and got away with it, it's a crime.

If he was using sleeping pills and driving and got away with it, it's a crime.

Gee, a rich guy might be getting away with something the regular Joe wouldn't, like John Edwards said (and I said in an earlier thread) "two Americas".

It's wrong, I hope he has to pay for his offense in a manner becoming the circumstances.

Now back to Republican corruption and the fleecing of America.

Ocotillo
05-05-2006, 02:37 PM
^^ if that is in response to my post, that is not what I am saying at all. Folks on the right are going to spin this as a Kennedy getting away with something again. This is red meat for those folks and they will roll in it like a hound dog on a dead animal.

If he was "sleep driving" then it's just a terribly embarassing incident and thankfully no one was hurt.

As a Democrat, if we want to nail the Republicans to the wall on the corruption issue, we have to expect no less from our side. That is why I was glad to see Nancy Pelosi call for an ethics investigation on William Jefferson.

Your turn Mr. Hastert.

xrayzebra
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
May I just ask, what difference does it make what he did? He will go to
rehab, he will come out as the fair haired child and he will be re-elected. That
is the recent history of this country. Get over it. He is the from the family of
our American Royalty. Sad fact, but true.

Oh, Gee!!
05-05-2006, 03:40 PM
rehab, he will come out as the fair haired child and he will be re-elected. That
is the recent history of this country. Get over it. He is the from the family of

Sounds like Dubya

j-6
05-05-2006, 03:48 PM

That statement seems a little more Bush than Kennedy, but I see where you're coming from, especially after 101A's post.

Ocotillo
05-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Ray is probably right about being re-elected. Ultimately, when it comes to whether this is a big deal or not is up to the voters in his district.

Tom Delay was indicted, had several reprimands from the House Ethics Committee and is neck deep in the Abramoff thing, yet the voters (at least in the primary) voted to return him.

jochhejaam
05-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Louis P. Cannon, president of the Washington chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police, who was not on the scene, said the congressman had appeared intoxicated when he crashed his Ford Mustang into a barrier on Capitol Hill.

"The officers on the scene, it is my understanding, smelled alcohol. And based on his demeanor and their experience, believed him to be intoxicated," Cannon told Chen.'

[QUOTE=Nbadan]The officer who publicly claimed Kennedy smelled of alcohol wasn't even at the scene...

He reported what the "other" officers (you know, the ones that were dismissed) who were at the scene reported dan, quit being so dense!

TheThinkingMan
05-05-2006, 07:44 PM
What the hell was he thinking!?

jochhejaam
05-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Rep Kennedy seeks drug abuse help

Fri May 5, 2006 5:49pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - One day after he crashed his car near the U.S. Capitol, Rep. Patrick Kennedy, son of Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy, said on Friday he would seek treatment for a long-term drug abuse problem.

"This afternoon I am traveling to Minnesota to seek treatment at the Mayo Clinic to insure that I can continue on my road to recovery," Kennedy, a Rhode Island Democrat, told reporters.

Kennedy said he was a patient last winter at the clinic, receiving care for an addiction to prescription pain medicine.

His announcement came shortly after a U.S. Capitol Police report showed Kennedy, 38, was charged with three driving violations after he crashed his car into a Capitol Hill security barrier early Thursday.

In an earlier statement, Kennedy said he had become disoriented because of medicine and sleeping pills.

Kennedy said he had been "fighting this chronic disease since I was a young man" and wanted to continue working for his constituents in Rhode Island.

"I need to stay in the fight," said the six-term congressman who was re-elected with 64 percent of the vote in 2004.

Kennedy said he had no recollection of the crash. "I simply do not remember getting out of bed, being pulled over by the police or being cited for three driving infractions." Continued...

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-05-05T214904Z_01_N05287612_RTRUKOC_0_US-KENNEDY.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Hopefully he takes this rehab seriously before he hurts or kills someone.

sickdsm
05-07-2006, 06:29 PM
BS, he blames it on a drug that was just prescribed to him and tries to pass it off like it was a medication failure then the next day goes to rehab?

Regardless if it was alcohol, lsd or paint thinner. The dude was driving blitzed out of his mind.

Hell, here in republican SoDak we were so disgusted with Janklow's BS of saying it was medication (we're not as stupid) that not only did we vote Hereseth in over the repub challenger, we did it twice. And all he did was a stopsign violation. Most people its a daily occurence, although not in that extreme.