PDA

View Full Version : what do pacers do in offseason?

ducks
05-04-2006, 09:48 PM
trade oneal?
peja was hurt missed almost all games do nothing?

JamStone
05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
1. Don't try to re-sign Peja. Danny Granger has to be the starting small forward starting next season.

2. Keep Jermaine O'Neal. As much as the fans probably want to trade him, unless they get a legitimate power forward who can put up at least 18 and 8 consistently, it's a bad move to trade an elite power forward.

3. Trade Tinsley and Stephen Jackson for whatever they can get.

4. Draft a point guard. Hope that AJ can play one or two more seasons at a decent pace and groom the future point guard. They should be able to get a player like Rajon Rondo or Jordan Farmar at the spot they're at.

5. Get a starting shooting guard who can consistently score, maybe via trade for Tinsley or Stephen Jackson, like Morris Peterson. Maybe JO can convince his buddy Bonzi Wells to take the MLE to come to Indiana.

1Parker1
05-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Trade Jackson?! I don't think they will.

Trade Tinsley + Peja for someone who's actually good.

ducks
05-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I think jackson goes if they need to package him in a trade to get rid of tinsley
I think they keep peja

Vinnie_Johnson
05-04-2006, 11:16 PM
How about Fire Rick my players don't listen to me Carlisle.

ducks
05-04-2006, 11:28 PM
nice post jamestone

J.T.
05-05-2006, 02:38 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Darrin
05-05-2006, 03:19 AM
trade oneal?
peja was hurt missed almost all games do nothing?

I keep no one. Think back on this era. For all the talk about how this team is going to be the Beast of the future, they have been out of the first round exactly twice since 2001.

Everyone keeps waiting for them to be tough. Their mettle was tested this season, and they buckled. They made two tactical errors - relying on Ron Artest and trading Al Harrington for Stephen Jackson. They have been prone to injuries and off-court issues interferring into on-court issues. I just want to make it clear that's not code for the brawl. They had deaths and illnesses in the families in 2002-03 and that's why they went from Central Champs and runaway number one seed to a 3rd seed that loses to the 6th-seeded Celtics in the first round.

I'd keep Danny Granger and David Harrison, maybe Fred Jones and put everyone else on the block. If you want Jermaine O'Neal, you have to take Peja. If you want Jeff Foster, you have to take Jamaal Tinsley. If you want Stephen Jackson, you have to take Scot Pollard. I'd clear out all the roster garbage in terms of mental toughness and bloated salary.

I'd get New York, Atlanta, Minnesota, Portland, Denver, Philadelphia and Seattle on the phone. I'd ask them if they had any interest in the roster pieces

I'd search the NBDL and the CBA for projects. I'd want draft picks and use them on experienced, winning, stable, and mature individuals. I'd forge a mentality and identity before worrying about talent. That's Rick Carlisle's specialty. At some point the Pacers organization has to realize that their reclimation project didn't work.

Darrin
05-05-2006, 03:22 AM

Yeah, he's the problem.
How about getting some players who will listen? His problems were Isiah Thomas'. The leeway for the players is all used up.

velik_m
05-05-2006, 03:40 AM
bring Lorbek from Europe

ducks
05-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I am not a big s jackson fan
but would you trade barry for jackson
why pacers do it
barry can play back up point
why spurs do it
get younger

Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah, he's the problem.
How about getting some players who will listen? His problems were Isiah Thomas'. The leeway for the players is all used up.

He is part of the problem that slow down half court milk the clock until the end then force up a bad shot. Are you a new piston fan or did you just forget how it was when he was with Detroit. Yes we played great defence but our offence would hit these 9 plus min dry spells.

z0sa
05-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I think if the pacers could have stayed healthy and not had any trouble with artest, this season would have been alot different - they were my pick to make it out of the east before the season started

baseline bum
05-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I would explore sign and trade deals for Stojakovic, or just let him walk if I couldn't get one. Maybe I'd try to trade Jermaine O'Neal and Stojakovic for Garnett and Marcus Banks or Garnett and a first rounder, but otherwise O'Neal would be untouchable.

Darrin
05-05-2006, 03:51 PM
He is part of the problem that slow down half court milk the clock until the end then force up a bad shot. Are you a new piston fan or did you just forget how it was when he was with Detroit. Yes we played great defence but our offence would hit these 9 plus min dry spells.

Yes, I remember him. I also remember that the Pistons, on both ends of the court, were one of the most efficently executed teams in the NBA down the stretches of games. I remember going 10-0 in overtime games, for example, in 2002-03. I remember that the Pistons, before he arrived, were one of the worst down the stretches of games. I remember the same offensive spells when Larry Brown was here.

Isiah Thomas ran an wide-open offense and had great relationships with his players. He never made it out of the first round in 3 seasons. Carlisle's great at minimizing players' weaknesses and for being able to win short-term when a key component is missing from the lineup.

He isn't the problem, and the proof is in the fact he's coached 5 seasons in this league and last night was the first time he didn't win a playoff series.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Use Jasikevicius more. The guy is a playmaker, a leader, and a threat from three point land. He has good ball handling, court vision, passing. This year he was used just as a shooter from the bench, that was a huge mistake. This guy isn't a bench player, start him, give him minutes to play; he'll deliver.

Keep Jermaine O'Neal. You won't get something better unless some team is willing to do a very stupid trade (KG, Stoudamire).

Get rid of Tinsley. The guy is more athletic than Jasikevicius, but he isn't a real point guard, and he spends a lot of time injured. Keep Anthony Johnson as a backup.

Don't waste too much money trying to re-sign Stojakovic. The Pacers could get another shooter without wasting that much money on a another unreliable player. If that shooter can play defense, that would be even better, but in that case, the Spurs should try to sign that player too!

Try to trade some role players, but only if they can get something better in return. Croshere, Foster, Pollard, Fred Jones, etc.

The Rock
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Re: what do pacers do in offseason?

Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Yes, I remember him. I also remember that the Pistons, on both ends of the court, were one of the most efficently executed teams in the NBA down the stretches of games. I remember going 10-0 in overtime games, for example, in 2002-03. I remember that the Pistons, before he arrived, were one of the worst down the stretches of games. I remember the same offensive spells when Larry Brown was here.

Isiah Thomas ran an wide-open offense and had great relationships with his players. He never made it out of the first round in 3 seasons. Carlisle's great at minimizing players' weaknesses and for being able to win short-term when a key component is missing from the lineup.

He isn't the problem, and the proof is in the fact he's coached 5 seasons in this league and last night was the first time he didn't win a playoff series.

You make some good points that was a great year we had winning all the overtime games. But he did do some darn bonehead Rick stuff too. He is very set in his ways just like never letting Prince play so he could play old Mike Curry. Yes Pacers have alot of problems and need to change the makeup of this team. The players that are there have tuned Rick out I did watch alot(nba pass) of Pacer games.

picnroll
05-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Poor pooh.

RON ARTEST
05-05-2006, 05:13 PM
You make some good points that was a great year we had winning all the overtime games. But he did do some darn bonehead Rick stuff too. He is very set in his ways just like never letting Prince play so he could play old Mike Curry. Yes Pacers have alot of problems and need to change the makeup of this team. The players that are there have tuned Rick out I did watch alot(nba pass) of Pacer games.
what they need to do is get rid of pejas pussy ass who cant even play through the smallest injury. its so sad that pacer fans were so excited about the trade saying they got something in return for artest when all they got was a little girl who makes clutch shots as many times as the warriors make the playoffs. so sad

Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2006, 05:51 PM
what they need to do is get rid of pejas pussy ass who cant even play through the smallest injury. its so sad that pacer fans were so excited about the trade saying they got something in return for artest when all they got was a little girl who makes clutch shots as many times as the warriors make the playoffs. so sad

Boy he sure is soft you are dead on there. :spin

Kamnik
05-06-2006, 09:13 AM
they have a 6-10 PF Erazem Lorbek playing in Italy

i think he could help them a bit this year and evolve into a good player

he rebounds, has 3-pt range, very smart player, plays for one of the best euro clubs and is a starter there, still very young

after watching him in euro championship in Serbia i cant wait for him to get to the NBA (pacers drafted him somewhere around 55-60; a real steal imo)

mavsfan1000
05-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Fire Rick Carlisle. Simple as that.

Darrin
05-06-2006, 03:30 PM

The Curry-Prince "didn't play him" I believe is a little overblown. Curry was the Pistons communicator on defense which was important for a transtion from a losing culture to a winning one. He was their defensive leader. That being said, he still was only averaging 19.9 minutes a night in Tayshaun's rookie year. It was Corliss Williamson that was eating up all his minutes.

To use a war medaphor, Carlisle was the Drill Sargent that made raw young men into soldiers. Larry Brown was the hard-ass General that led them in battle. His players not listening is a sign that he's not leading them. But I'm more inclined to stay with Carlisle on this issue and dump the players considering their track records when they weren't together.

Darrin
05-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Fire Rick Carlisle. Simple as that.

Why?

samikeyp
05-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Hire Pooh. :)

Reggie Miller
05-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Use Jasikevicius more. The guy is a playmaker, a leader, and a threat from three point land. He has good ball handling, court vision, passing. This year he was used just as a shooter from the bench, that was a huge mistake. This guy isn't a bench player, start him, give him minutes to play; he'll deliver.

Keep Jermaine O'Neal. You won't get something better unless some team is willing to do a very stupid trade (KG, Stoudamire).

Get rid of Tinsley. The guy is more athletic than Jasikevicius, but he isn't a real point guard, and he spends a lot of time injured. Keep Anthony Johnson as a backup.

Don't waste too much money trying to re-sign Stojakovic. The Pacers could get another shooter without wasting that much money on a another unreliable player. If that shooter can play defense, that would be even better, but in that case, the Spurs should try to sign that player too!

Try to trade some role players, but only if they can get something better in return. Croshere, Foster, Pollard, Fred Jones, etc.

Yep. That's pretty much it.

The Pacers are supposed to play an inside-outside game. They need a reliable (as in shows up ready to play 70+ games) shooter and another reliable inside scorer. Jackson was supposed to do a little of both, but he obviously doesn't listen to Carlisle and is easily rattled.

O'Neal gives you a decent inside presence, but his injury problems are a concern. JO does not seem to be a strong leader, either. I have always been suspicious (Jailblazer).

Tinsley could be the reincarnation of Oscar Robertson, but it wouldn't matter. It's like LOTTO: You gotta be in it to win. The Pacers need to trade him while someone is dumb enough to give value.

The Pacers' two main problems are as follows:
1) They don't draft smart. How many of their first round picks currently start for them?
2) They have too much money tied up in all of their role players, which makes them hard to move.

In other words, they are a typical Eastern Conference team, and no real threat to anyone, except David Stern. For example, the Pacers could still be relied upon to upset the LeBron Show next spring...

kidd
05-07-2006, 06:45 AM
They will hang on to Rick, Peja, and Jermaine.

The will trade tinsley and SJax.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-07-2006, 09:49 AM
They will hang on to Rick, Peja, and Jermaine.

The will trade tinsley and SJax.

Good plan but those two are crap who would want them?

mike detroit
05-07-2006, 10:00 AM
disband the team, start over in a new city