PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Kings notebook: Van Exel wants shot at more playing time

Manu20
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Spurs-Kings notebook: Van Exel wants shot at more playing time
Web Posted: 05/05/2006 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050506.4D.BKNspurs.notebook.cdf6620.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Nick Van Exel was glad to be on the court Tuesday. He hopes to be there again tonight.

Van Exel didn't play in the second half of Game3 or at all in Game 4 after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich elected to use Beno Udrih to back up Tony Parker. On Tuesday, Popovich went back to Van Exel, who had two points, four assists and four rebounds in 14 minutes.

The Spurs signed Van Exel last summer hoping his experience and clutch shooting would help in the playoffs. He scored 11 points in his first seven minutes in the series opener but hasn't hit a shot since the second quarter of that game.

"It's real tough because I want to play," Van Exel said. "But I know the situation I'm in, so I just try to stay focused and stay ready.

"Whenever he calls for me, I just try to give that lift whatever way possible."

Van Exel needed three cortisone shots in the regular season to relieve pain in his left elbow caused by bone chips. He plans on retiring after the season and likely will have surgery to clean out his elbow.

But the injury, he said, won't keep him from contributing in his final playoffs.

"I kind of think (Popovich) worries about my knee and elbow, but I'm fine," Van Exel said. "It's basically if I tell him I can't go, then I can't go.

"But," he added with a laugh, "I didn't tell him that in Game 4."

Parker's smooth stroke: After struggling in Game 3, Tony Parker maintained he hadn't lost confidence in his jump shot. He proved that Tuesday by often making Sacramento pay for sagging off him.

Only one of his eight baskets in Game 5 was a layup. Of the other seven shots he made, six were from at least 16 feet.

"If they're going to give me that jump shot, I have to take it," Parker said. "Especially if it's wide open like that."

Parker's inconsistent shooting largely contributed to his playoff struggles the previous four seasons. As a result, the Spurs added Chip Engelland, one of the game's top shooting coaches, to their staff last summer.

Parker has steadily improved over the course of the season. In five games this series, he's also made 23 of 26 free throws.

Endorsing Bonzi: Kings coach Rick Adelman isn't certain he will be back next season. He is in the final year of his contract, and the team's owners, Joe and Gavin Maloof, have not committed to re-signing him.

If Adelman does return, he said he would like to see Bonzi Wells back. Wells is a free agent, and his outstanding play in the series has likely driven up his asking price this summer.

"Obviously, the way he's played, he's definitely changed a mindset," Adelman said. "If there was a mindset someplace else, he's definitely changed it. It's a good balance when you have him and Ron (Artest), and you've got Kevin (Martin). You've got a pretty good mix there.

"I like the mix of this team. That's the best way to answer it. But free agency is such a crapshoot because there's so many people involved: His agent, him, ownership, other teams. But I certainly appreciate everything he's done, and I think it's a very workable situation."

pache100
05-05-2006, 10:19 AM
IMO, if Van Exel wants more playing time, he should have stepped up a little in the playing time he got during the regulation season. He had flashes of brilliance, and still does, but that's not enough right now.

greensborohill
05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
I agree. NVE needs to prove he can

1. defend someone

2. Be more than a chucker on O

spurschick
05-05-2006, 10:36 AM
The article headline is midleading. He doesn't demand more playing time in the article, he simply says that he would like to play more, but that he understands his role. Leave it to the Express-News to try and sensationalize something.

travis2
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Van Exel needed three cortisone shots in the regular season to relieve pain in his left elbow caused by bone chips. He plans on retiring after the season and likely will have surgery to clean out his elbow.

I don't think I've ever seen this in print before...

pache100
05-05-2006, 10:39 AM
The article headline is midleading. He doesn't demand more playing time in the article, he simply says that he would like to play more, but that he understands his role. Leave it to the Express-News to try and sensationalize something.

Yeah, I caught that. But, where there is smoke, there is usually fire. That's why I made the comment I did. He has not seemed happy all season to me, and that is not something I read in the newspaper, it's a personal observation. I just don't think he believes they are tapping his talent and it makes him sullen and resentful. We don't need that. He's wasted so many opportunities.

pache100
05-05-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't think I've ever seen this in print before...

Me, neither.

Manu20
05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
AllHipHop.com: How many more years do you plan on playing? Do you have an estimate in mind?

Nick Van Exel: I plan on making this year my last. After that, I can go ahead and do other things.

This was from an interview back in February.

pache100
05-05-2006, 10:44 AM
This was from an interview back in February.

Oh, ok. Thanks, I had not read that. Wonder what he has in mind for the future?

leemajors
05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
as long as he runs the team smoothly like he did in game 5, i have no problems letting tony get more of a breather.

boutons_
05-05-2006, 11:56 AM
"letting tony get more of a breather"

So WTF is with Pop playing Nick alongside Tony? As if we had a scarcity of SG/SF.

MoSpur
05-05-2006, 11:59 AM
The title is not misleading at all. He does want to play more. He would if he wouldn't jack up threes with 22 seconds left on the shot clock and no one underneath the basket to rebound.

leemajors
05-05-2006, 12:03 PM
"letting tony get more of a breather"

So WTF is with Pop playing Nick alongside Tony? As if we had a scarcity of SG/SF.

i am as confused as you about the dual pg lineup, it seems like instant offense for the other team.

boutons_
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Nick has always been a sour, needling little motherfucker. Nothing new here. I remember him first as the Mavs de facto spokeman in the 02/03 season. He was clearly pissed that those Mavs were to be broken up, saying how hard it was to put such a team togeher.

Of course he wants to play and contribute significantly, but he has to trust Pop as knowing best how to get Nick a ring.

MoSpur
05-05-2006, 12:13 PM
I will say this though. Nick will have a "Steve Kerr" moment. At least twice. He will go for like 4-5 from the three-point line in at least two games this post season.

pache100
05-05-2006, 12:18 PM
I will say this though. Nick will have a "Steve Kerr" moment. At least twice. He will go for like 4-5 from the three-point line in at least two games this post season.

Well, he better hurry up. He's cost us one game and nearly cost us another. One more and we're done. And Nick has no ring. And if that happens, if I were Michael Finley, I'd kill Nick.

MoSpur
05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
It will happen Pache. Don't worry. Its in his game to have one of those nights.

pache100
05-05-2006, 12:23 PM

I am praying you are right, MoSpur! For Nick...for the Spurs...and for us!

PM5K
05-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I think it is misleading, it's not like he's saying he's averaged twenty minutes and he wants to play thirty minutes, it sounds like he's saying that he didn't expect to not play an entire game, especially during the playoffs....

I think the worst part for Nick is that he misses floaters that he rarely ever used to miss, if he makes 80% of those like he used to he's scoring a lot more points...

greyforest
05-05-2006, 01:23 PM
NVE is shooting what 14% FGs this playoff season?

please don't give him minutes pop...unless its a blowout.

thispego
05-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Well, he better hurry up. He's cost us one game and nearly cost us another. One more and we're done. And Nick has no ring. And if that happens, if I were Michael Finley, I'd kill Nick.
yeah right :rolleyes

ducks
05-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Parker's smooth stroke: After struggling in Game 3, Tony Parker maintained he hadn't lost confidence in his jump shot. He proved that Tuesday by often making Sacramento pay for sagging off him.

Only one of his eight baskets in Game 5 was a layup. Of the other seven shots he made, six were from at least 16 feet.

keeps on getting better ahf :lol

pache100
05-05-2006, 01:35 PM
yeah right :rolleyes

? ? ?

maddnezz
05-05-2006, 01:37 PM
MoSpur has the insight of a Jedi Master! I also feel the force in Nick. All he has to do is wait for THE PASS then shoot like Fin or Brent does! :king

ducks
05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
nve did not cost a game this series
lack of d and wells did

spurster
05-05-2006, 01:43 PM
It's not like Beno is playing a whole lot better or more. So far NVE has played 51 minutes to Beno's 33. That indicates to me that neither has really stepped up in the playoffs except NVE in Game 1.

pache100
05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
It's not like Beno is playing a whole lot better or more. So far NVE has played 51 minutes to Beno's 33. That indicates to me that neither has really stepped up in the playoffs except NVE in Game 1.

:clap

thispego
05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
? ? ?

nve did not cost a game this series
lack of d and wells did
if van exel is responsible for one of our losses then i have been watching some other series

timvp
05-05-2006, 04:14 PM
He's cost us one game and nearly cost us another.

The Spurs are 3-0 in this series when Van Exel gets at least 10 minutes of action.

phyzik
05-05-2006, 04:31 PM
The Spurs are 3-0 in this series when Van Exel gets at least 10 minutes of action.

and what exactly was his stat line during those games? Are you saying he was an impact player or a good luck charm on the court?

To me, it seems like every time he has the ball and going back on offense, he just jacks a shot up way to damn early in the clock. Of course its not every time but it sure does seem like it.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-05-2006, 04:37 PM
and what exactly was his stat line during those games? Are you saying he was an impact player or a good luck charm on the court?

To me, it seems like every time he has the ball and going back on offense, he just jacks a shot up way to damn early in the clock. Of course its not every time but it sure does seem like it.

I thought he played great in game 1 and game 5

boutons_
05-05-2006, 04:39 PM
"The Spurs are 3-0 in this series when Van Exel gets at least 10 minutes of action."

His minutes and stats are so tiny as to be insignificant, esp in any positive sense.

FG% 17% !!!! Which is about 50% of his already horrible season FG%.

4 MPG (blame that on Pop)

His AST/TO is a solid 2.33 but Beno's is 8!

I'm not against any Spur making any contribution he can, but Nick's contribution, his so- called "action" so far, is minuscule, NOT 3 victory-impacting performances.

timvp
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Van Exel was the person who blew Game 1 open. He was running the show when the Spurs dominated the second quarter and ended the game before halftime. In Game 5, he was a +8 in his limited minutes. He passed very well and pulled down some big rebounds.