PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gardenhire

FromWayDowntown
10-07-2004, 03:54 PM
I thought Ron Gardenhire really screwed the Twins last night and managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But, with all of the hand wringing today about Gardy's decision to send Nathan out for the 12th last night, I didn't think that was his worst error.

I was appalled when Gardenhire let the rookie Jason Kubel hit in the 8th inning with 1 out and runners on second and third. The Twins had a chance to bury the Yankees going home after Koskie's double scored Torii Hunter. They had a runner with good speed at 3rd and needed only a sac fly to take the lead and likely win the game. Gardenhire let Kubel (who has 60 major league at-bats) stand in against Rivera, who managed to right his ship, regain his confidence, and keep the Yanks alive by striking the kid out on 3 pitches (all balls). I couldn't believe Gardenhire stuck with Kubel, given that he had both Matthew LeCroy AND Lew Ford sitting on his bench. All they needed was a ball in play, and either LeCroy or Ford was more likely to get that done than Kubel was.

Gardenhire made a bad decision with Nathan, but his decision to stick with Kubel probably cost them that game and may have cost them the series.

Jimcs50
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Maybe so, but the ground rule double cost the Twins the most, as they would have scored from 1st base and extra innings would not have come into play at all. The Yankees always seem to win these tight games in the playoffs. Jeter is perhaps the most clutch player in the history of the playoffs. Anyway, the Twins only need 1 win at home and they will have Santana in game 5.

Das Texan
10-07-2004, 04:12 PM
should of taken out nathan after the first walk.

Jimcs50
10-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Nathan who has some of the best control in baseball threw 8 straight balls, he should have been lifted right then and there. He was a one-two inning pitcher all year, he sould never have been in in the 11th inning.

FromWayDowntown
10-07-2004, 04:44 PM
I'd agree that the ground rule double went badly against the Twins but that's the way the game goes.

I still think Gardenhire's failure to lift Kuble for a more seasoned (and patient) hitter was huge because it snowballed and created the decision to keep Nathan in the game in the 12th.

A ball in play in the 8th gets them the lead. That's all. If they take the lead in the 8th, they can play the game on their terms -- Rincon in the 8th and Nathan for the 9th (and the 9th only). Think of the long-term consequences: by letting Kubel bat against Rivera, Gardenhire allowed Rivera to regain his composure and leave that game with a good feeling about himself. Not that Rivera is going to get down on himself based on a single bad outing, but the pressure on him would have been enormous had the Twins taken the lead. If the Twins take the lead at that juncture, Nathan pitches in normal rotation (and likely only for one inning) making him available to pitch in Game 3 -- at this point, I'd doubt that Nathan would face more than 1 or 2 batters if he pitches at all in Game 3. If Game 3 is close and the Twins need to slam the door, Gardenhire will really regret having wasted Nathan for 3 innings, but he wouldn't have even gotten to that point (most likely) if the Twins score again in the 8th. It's not like Kubel had some history of beating up Rivera -- he'd never faced him (and neither had LeCroy, but at least LeCroy has roughly 20 times more major league at-bats and post-season at-bats).

I guess I just don't understand why there isn't more focus on that decision. It seems to me to be the much bigger tactical error.

Jimcs50
10-07-2004, 04:59 PM
I still like this manager...but I guess even the best can make mistakes...well, except for Torre, he never makes tactical errors it seems like. He only used Rivera 2 innings and that was it.