PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed disappointed to see playing time steadily decreasing

ploto
05-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Opening a can of worms- but I do not recall any comments like this when Rasho moved to the bench in February or when he had stretches where he played little. Rasho said things like- whatever is best for the team. Even during the play-offs lastyear, you never heard a moan or groan from Rasho. I hope all of you who bashed NVE for his comments are ready to do the same for Nazr's.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Nazr Mohammed's playing time has dwindled to nil since he was on the court for 25 minutes in Game1 of the Spurs' series with Sacramento.

After scoring 18 points and grabbing eight rebounds in the Spurs' victory in the series opener, Mohammed played 24 minutes in Game 2, 10 in Game 3, 18 in Game 4 and zero in Game 5.

Before Friday's tip-off, Mohammed acknowledged the diminishing playing time upset him, but he tried to prepare himself for Game6 as though he knew he would be used.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't disappoint me," Mohammed said of being demoted from his starting role for Game4 and benched entirely for Game5. "Everybody wants to play. I'm just trying to work hard and stay ready."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has increasingly relied on small lineups to counter some of Sacramento's strengths in the series, although Rasho Nesterovic has continued to get playing time ahead of Mohammed.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA050606.11C.BKNspurs.notebook.38dc6f6.html

itzsoweezee
05-06-2006, 02:36 AM
i don't see the problem

MannyIsGod
05-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Maybe if he didn't suck so much. He'll play against a Pheonix or Detroit, but untill then he sits.

MissAllThat
05-06-2006, 03:01 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He's just being honest, and it's not like he said he thinks he deserves to be out there over everyone else. He said he's trying to stay ready. Way to bold only the negative parts.

TDMVPDPOY
05-06-2006, 03:10 AM
then again u gotto look at the matchup problemz,

T-Pain
05-06-2006, 03:16 AM
I hope we dont get rid of this guy. I like Nazr.

orhe
05-06-2006, 04:10 AM
we're going to need his rebounding against the dallas bigs now...
sorry nazr but bonzi and artest were monsters.

timvp
05-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Sheeeeyit, I'm disappointed that I'm not in the NBA.

Nazr better be mad he's not playing. I'd way rather hear that then him satisfied with being a 12th man.

He should see playing time against Dallas as he's played pretty well against them this year.

NCaliSpurs
05-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Nazr lost all fire.

Last year at least he went to the glass.

He doesn't even do that, and it hurts the team.

alamo50
05-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Where did that come from NC?
Nazr always goes glass.
It's his lack of defense that put him on the bench this series.

ploto
05-06-2006, 08:59 AM
He should see playing time against Dallas as he's played pretty well against them this year.
Would that be the April 7 loss to Dallas where Nazr played 25 minutes and had 1 point and 2 rebounds.

we're going to need his rebounding against the dallas bigs now...
Nazr has a grand total of 12 rebounds in 78 minutes in the 4 games against Dallas this season-- 3 rebounds per game in 19.5 minutes.On the other hand, Rasho has 14 rebounds in 54 minutes-- 3.5 per game in 13.5 minutes. The 2 games Nazr started, he had 7 total rebounds in 55 minutes. The 2 games Rasho started, he had 12 total rebounds in 41 minutes.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Of course, after last night's performance where he seemed to be single-handedly trying to give the game away, the Rasho supporters should by laying as low as humanly possible.

ploto
05-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Of course, after last night's performance where he seemed to be single-handedly trying to give the game away, the Rasho supporters should by laying as low as humanly possible. Those 2 turnovers (one a 24 second violation) had as much or more to do with NVE dribbling too much and getting the team into their offense with a couple of seconds left on the shot clock.

Neuromancer
05-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Nazr will without a doubt be 100% rested and energized, ready to give us a big game against a team he plays well against.

Nazr benching = CIA Pop? Certainly noone on the face of the planet could play worse ball than Rasho did in the second half last night.

Neuromancer
05-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Those 2 turnovers (one a 24 second violation) had as much or more to do with NVE dribbling too much and getting the team into their offense with a couple of seconds left on the shot clock.

What about when Rasho caught the ball, had an easy left hand layup, then chose to spin left to the middle of the lane into a defender and got ruined by a forward.

mrpach
05-06-2006, 09:21 AM
mabe nazr's 3 in game 1 has something to do with it

T Park
05-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Those 2 turnovers (one a 24 second violation) had as much or more to do with NVE dribbling too much and getting the team into their offense with a couple of seconds left on the shot clock.

Im a Rasho fan, but it was all Rasho's fault last night.

Quit being such a Rasho fuckin Homer.

ploto
05-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Nazr benching = CIA Pop?
Yeah- Pop benches a guy for 2 games in the play-offs as a secret ploy to hide him from the other opponents. Give me a break. Nazr sucked for almost the whole series. Rasho has one bad stretch of a couple of minutes in a series in which he played very well.

T Park
05-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Rasho has one bad stretch of a couple of minutes

no he had 1 bad game.

He played bad the WHOLE GAME.

Good lord.

greyforest
05-06-2006, 09:37 AM
i want to see more nazr personally.

ploto
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
no he had 1 bad game.

He played bad the WHOLE GAME.

Good lord.
Tell that to Bonzi's dunk. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah- Pop benches a guy for 2 games in the play-offs as a secret ploy to hide him from the other opponents. Give me a break. Nazr sucked for almost the whole series. Rasho has one bad stretch of a couple of minutes in a series in which he played very well.

Actually, in CIA Pop terms, it's probably to light a fire under his ass.

Pop, Nazr, the league, the city of San Antonio...they all know that Nazr is playing for a contract right now.

Nazr is best to this team (and his wallet) when he's coming up with 8 points, 12 rebounds and two or three blocks a night.

I expect Nazr will be the key role player in at least one game this series and moreso against a Phoenix, Lakers or Clippers team.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Anyone who says Rasho played very well except for a couple of minutes loses all credibility.

The fact is the Spurs have two very lame centers, who fortunately are at least lame in different ways. Thinking that one can be used to the exclusion of the other is a recipe for disaster.

T Park
05-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Tell that to Bonzi's dunk

wooowww 1 whole block

wheewwwww

that doesnt make up for his dumbass play in the 3rd quarter blowing a wide open 2 foot shot, that shouldve been a dunk, and his clusterfucking with the ball the next few positions.

You cannot defend that shit performance last night at all.

More Nazr this series, maybe, but if he continues to play shit defense, then you bench his ass nad play Horry more.

Amazing how good this team is when Horry plays more minutes.

weebo
05-06-2006, 10:20 AM
If you were to somehow magically combine both Rasho and Nazr into one person, you would still have a stiff on the court. Unfortunately, each of these guys will see playing time throughtout the playoffs at some point because of matchups. The Spurs should think twice about signing Nazr back and I would trade Rasho for anything...maybe for a couple of tee shirts

A-Train
05-06-2006, 10:24 AM
This was not a series for Nazr. Dallas is much more conventional with their 5 spot so I suspect that we'll be seeing plenty of him in the next series.

boutons_
05-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Nazr should be OK handling a befuddled klutz like Dampier.
Of course, Rasho could, too.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2006, 10:28 AM
If you were to somehow magically combine both Rasho and Nazr into one person, you would still have a stiff on the court. Unfortunately, each of these guys will see playing time throughtout the playoffs at some point because of matchups. The Spurs should think twice about signing Nazr back and I would trade Rasho for anything...maybe for a couple of tee shirts
Your lack of basketball knowledge is truly awe-inspiring.

NCaliSpurs
05-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Where did that come from NC?
Nazr always goes glass.
It's his lack of defense that put him on the bench this series.

I stand corrected from a numbers standpoint. I guess my impression of his ability to grab defensive rebounds was worse than reality, probably tainted by his overall bad defense.

Spurminator
05-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Nazr plays better when he feels he has to earn his minutes. If he's accepted as the starting center and expects 20 mpg, he gets complacent. I expect that at some point in these Playoffs he will play a key role.

weebo
05-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Your lack of basketball knowledge is truly awe-inspiring.

My lack of basketball knowledge? Don't let your homerism get in the way of the truth. Explain then how a PG like Bibby can drop lay ups on a seven footer? Rasho is a SOFT. Nazr isn't any better. He is always out of defensive position, his picks are soft, he can't handle a pass, and is constantly getting rejected under the basket. You know knumb nuts there's a reason POP doesn't play these two mother fuckers much.

Seriously, I don't understand the love some of you have for these two stiffs :rolleyes

Despot
05-06-2006, 11:41 AM
He just says he is disappointed with his playing time, And in the text of the qoute I take it as he is disappointed with the way he is playing. He didn't say he was angry with Pop or the Spurs. If it was Sean Marks making those comments noone would think twice about it. I still say we lose him this summer, not that I want to.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-06-2006, 01:27 PM
He's going to play a big role if we're going to win it all again. Sacramento was a bad matchup, but I think you'll see him start Sunday.

Spurologist
05-06-2006, 01:30 PM
No problem here. Move along.

Nazr's time will come.

TurkishTimDuncan
05-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Wee need to Nazýr. I think so Popovic should use to him

5ToolMan
05-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Anyone who says Rasho played very well except for a couple of minutes loses all credibility.

The fact is the Spurs have two very lame centers, who fortunately are at least lame in different ways. Thinking that one can be used to the exclusion of the other is a recipe for disaster.

The only thing lame is your knowledge of the game.

The Spurs are champions because they have Duncan, Manu, Tony AND several other pieces to allow them to excell playing many different types of hoops.

Against many bigger teams, the size of Rasho and Nazr combine with Tim to give the Spurs great interior defense, allowing the Spurs perimeter players to gamble and shade driving players to limit their offensive effectiveness. Against smaller less physical teams, Horry will get more minutes, as Tim can slide to center and still remain fresh.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2006, 01:55 PM
My lack of basketball knowledge? Don't let your homerism get in the way of the truth. Explain then how a PG like Bibby can drop lay ups on a seven footer? Rasho is a SOFT. Nazr isn't any better. He is always out of defensive position, his picks are soft, he can't handle a pass, and is constantly getting rejected under the basket. You know knumb nuts there's a reason POP doesn't play these two mother fuckers much.

Seriously, I don't understand the love some of you have for these two stiffs :rolleyes
LOL. Wow, the moronism continues. Where oh where shall I start?

Explain then how a PG like Bibby can drop lay ups on a seven footer?
You must literally mean a point guard "like Bibby" rather than actually meaning Bibby, because I pulled the shot charts for the entire series and here's the verdict on Bibby vs. the entire Spurs team:

Game 1 0 layups
Game 2 0 layups
Game 3 1 layup
Game 4 1 layup
Game 5 0 layups
Game 6 2 layups

Mike Bibby averaged 2/3 of a layup per game against the Spurs, but I won't let facts get in the way of your "truth".

You know knumb nuts there's a reason POP doesn't play these two mother fuckers much.

Again, I'm not sure who you are referring to here. Rasho and Nazr only started 81 of 82 games in the regular season. Yeah, Pop doesn't play them much. Once again, don't let facts derail ya, bro.

5ToolMan
05-06-2006, 01:57 PM

Tony has dropped layups on every player in the league consistantly all year, yet still gets swatted on rare occassions. When Tony gets to the hoop, it is about his advantage in quickness and not on the other player being soft. Bibby is not far behind Tony in the quickness department.

Soft is just a lable idiots use who don't have enough knowledge to understand the multiple dynamics of hoops. Rasho will swat some shots, alter more, and yes, give up a few layups to players who get free in the lane.

timvp
05-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I was impressed with Rasho's 0-6 run that made Pop put the starters back in.

Props.

ploto
05-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Sacramento was a bad matchup, but I think you'll see him start Sunday.
Don't hold your breath waiting.

I should have known a story about Nazr would turn into a Rasho bash on here. The simple fact is Nazr played terribly against Sacramento and did not belong on the court. He did rebound poorly- don't be fooled by some garbage time rebound stats. He had no clue where he was supposed to be or what he was supposed to be doing. He kept getting in Manu's and Tony's way.

I do not and will not ever like players who moan about playing time to the press. When asked a question about it, you say that you are happy the team is doing well and that you will contribute in any way you can. Of course, you are upset but you don't gripe about it publicly. Surely, Beno wishes he was playing more- or I am sure Fabricio hoped when he signed here to play more, but do they bitch about it. If this was the first time Nazr griped about playing time, maybe I would not feel this way so strongly, but he moaned about it in December and January, too. He even went to Pop to complain about it a couple of times. Learn the defense and you will get to play more.

2centsworth
05-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Ploto you have the redass for Nazr plain and simple. Even when the guy grabs 20 rbs you have something negative to say about the guy.

He's been terrible of late and has shown no real improvement. Unfortunately, the same can be said of all our centers at times.

timvp
05-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Rasho had similar quotes when asked about the playoffs last year. He said something about he was happy for the team but he wished he could have played. Same thing Nazr said.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't disappoint me," Mohammed said of being demoted from his starting role for Game4 and benched entirely for Game5. "Everybody wants to play. I'm just trying to work hard and stay ready."

What is wrong with that quote? The reporter probably asked him if he was disappointed about not playing. Did you want him to say "no I like getting DNP's"?

I'm no Nazr fan but this is a little overboard.

ploto
05-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Rasho had similar quotes when asked about the playoffs last year. He said something about he was happy for the team but he wished he could have played. Same thing Nazr said.

What is wrong with that quote? The reporter probably asked him if he was disappointed about not playing. Did you want him to say "no I like getting DNP's"?

I'm no Nazr fan but this is a little overboard.
Rasho's quote came AFTER the play-offs were over- not during. That is the difference.

Actually it came in October of 2005:
"You want to play so bad because it's the best time of the year to be playing," he said. "Fortunately, other guys did a really good job. I was OK with that."

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 04:04 PM
The only thing lame is your knowledge of the game.

The Spurs are champions because they have Duncan, Manu, Tony AND several other pieces to allow them to excell playing many different types of hoops.

Against many bigger teams, the size of Rasho and Nazr combine with Tim to give the Spurs great interior defense, allowing the Spurs perimeter players to gamble and shade driving players to limit their offensive effectiveness. Against smaller less physical teams, Horry will get more minutes, as Tim can slide to center and still remain fresh.
Well, it's obvious where the Tool part of your name comes from.

That was about as big a "duh" post as there ever has been.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
yeah his minutes will vary from team to team...Didn't someone point out how Rasho fared better with the Kings in the regular season games? Nazr will be used later on in this postseason, I think.

I hope he uses his bench warming minutes as motivation. Actually it's GOOD that' he's disappointed, that means he's not content!

gameFACE
05-06-2006, 04:19 PM
ploto, your Rasho nut-riding has gone beyond "dog with a bone" proportions as well as your Nazr hate. It's laughable, really. Your too predictable. You start a thread you know will turn into Rasho bashing only so you can then bash Nazr right back. Weak.

Rasho was not the solution in this series. He was serviceable at times. But Pop eventually had to turn to Horry as a starter. Rasho's weak rebounding in the last three games (a grand total of 6 - stellar :rolleyes) provided no solution. After a while setting good screens only gets you so far. Thank you Horry.

Nothing wrong with Nazr's quote. He'll come up big again.