PDA

View Full Version : Pistons fans......

td4mvp21
05-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I know a lot of you have said that you only want to face the Spurs in the Finals. So if the Spurs got knocked out before the Finals, would you guys be severely disappointed or would you feel relieved knowing you would beat down the Mavs/whoever else comes out of the West? Or do you think you will beat us down if you face us in the Finals? Would you consider this championship a tad dissappointing if you didn't face the Spurs?

Dunc
05-06-2006, 04:04 PM
It would be disappointing if the Spurs didn't make the Finals to face us. A championship is a championship, but I personally would prefer facing you guys by far.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Nope, not at all. The ring is the thing, not who they beat to get it...

Leetonidas
05-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Nope, not at all. The ring is the thing, not who they beat to get it...

If I was a Pistons fan, I would be disappointed. The Spurs were the team that beat you, on their floor, they're the champs. Beating any other team wouldn't mean as much.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Put it the other way around, I don't necessarily care if we played the Pistons again in the Finals.

I would like to see somebody at least remotely challenge them in the East.

05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
If I was a Pistons fan, I would be disappointed. The Spurs were the team that beat you, on their floor, they're the champs. Beating any other team wouldn't mean as much.

Not yet. If the Spurs were to beat them again this year, then I'd want them to play again in the Finals in '07. Losing once to a team, you just give it up and say they were the best team that year. When it becomes a trend, then I want whatever my team is to beat the living shit out of that team. Kinda of like the Lions and the other 31 teams in the NFL...

ObiwanGinobili
05-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Looking at this question from the flip side.

Sure , I'd prefer to match up with the Pistons in the finals.... but in the end I don\t care whose ass we kick as long as we got the ring.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Disappointed?? No only if we didn't make The Finals. I would love to face the champs and give you some payback for taking us down last year.

JamStone
05-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I'd love a rematch of last years NBA finals.

But, if the Pistons make it back to the NBA finals, I won't be the slightest bit disappointed if the Spurs don't. I can respect the Spurs, but, at the end of the day, the only team whose success I truly care about is the Detroit Pistons.

To be honest, I think the Spurs are more beatable than the Mavericks. Dallas brings a different tempo, a different style, different problems that the Pistons are not as familiar with. The Pistons know the Spurs a little bit better, and thereby, know their tendencies a little bit better.

Detroit got blown out by the current Mavs one time, so it wasn't really a good look at thier team because the starters spent most of the second half on the bench and it was played like a blowout game for nearly 44 minutes of the game. In the second game, Josh Howard was missing and Marquis Daniels got into a lot of foul trouble, so the Pistons didn't get a real good look at the team then either. Being less familiar with the Mavericks present several more problems in a potential match-up and that is a major reason I think the Mavs would be more difficult to play than the Spurs.

Now, if the Spurs are healthy, they are likely more talented, especially defensively, and probably the better team. But, again, 11 games in the last two seasons has gotten the players on each team infinitely more familiar with each other. I wouldn't say the Pistons would win easily, but for some reason, I think that familiarity works in the Pistons favor, at least with respect to comparing the Spurs to the Mavs as a possible Finals opponent.

I wouldn't be disappointed at all if the Spurs don't make it back to the Finals to meet the Pistons (assuming the Pistons make it back). But, I'd love to see the matchup again.

Question: if the Spurs don't make it back to the finals, how active will this site be then?

MannyIsGod
05-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Active. This place never dies.

I want to face the Pistons. It was an epic matchup, and it will be another epic matchup. I really hope it comes to be.

05-06-2006, 05:04 PM
This place never dies.

We the gangs of SA will never die - just multiply...

whottt
05-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Question: if the Spurs don't make it back to the finals, how active will this site be then?

More active than it usually is probably...offseason has always been the busiest time of the year for Spurs boards...it's probably less busy if we do win a title than it is if we don't.

The day the Spurs resigned Tony Parker was the record day for most active users online at this site for quite a while.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 05:35 PM
If the Spurs get ousted before the Finals, just by himself AHF will have 5000 posts in the first week.

Kori Ellis
05-06-2006, 05:38 PM

After a few days a bitterness, very active. Because people will be flipping out on how the Spurs need to rebuild and what to do with the draft/free agency/trades, etc.

Weirdly, July is usually one of the busiest months for our site.

T Park
05-06-2006, 06:09 PM
We will be all salivating on who the Spurs can sign and trade Mohammed for.

Stephen Jackson is supposedly available in Indiana and they want a bigman next to Jermaine O'Neal :smokin

Tanya
05-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I always believe if injury free, the better team win. The spurs are the best playoff team, but if Dallas beat the spurs that probably mean Dallas is better than the spurs(at least this year). I will be very worried.

Pistons < Spurs
05-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I absolutely want to face the Spurs. I will be dissapointed if the rematch does not occur. In an ideal situation, you always want to beat the person/team that beat you.

If the Spurs do lose to the Mavs or another team I will feel like someone stole an opportunity from us. It will be a little deflating.

Of course I will still be happy if my team makes it to and/or wins the Finals, but it will feel a little less special.

I love the brand of basketball both teams play. More importantly, I enjoy watching them compete against each other. To me, last years matchup was one of the best basketball series I've ever seen. Sure, I'm biased, and many people may not agree nationally, but us playing eachother is what the League needs.

Also, I think both of these teams, and a continued rivalry between them, have the potential to be remembered along the same lines of the celtics/lakers of the 80's. Both are individually great teams. Both teams have the ability to end up in the Finals for the next 2 or 3 years. I would LOVE for these teams to have some sort of historical signifigance.

I want to see these 2 teams face eachother not just this year, but next year, the year after...etc etc.

In regards as to who I think we have a better chance against, I think JamStone said it very well. The Mavs simply bring a bit of the unknown. IMO my team would feel more comfortable going against the Spurs. Tendencies and habits are known. ....... but this is really a seperate argument best saved for a different thread.

I hope the Spurs make it ......and the Pistons BETTER make it! I'll be rooting for the Spurs from now till start of the Finals. And while I will be sad if we have to beat the Mavs instead of the Spurs to get our ring back......at the end of the day what is most important is winning the title regardless of the opponent.

FreshPrince22
05-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I would be absolutely pissed if the Spurs don't make it. You always want to beat the best. While sending Cuban home crying would be fun, I think Spurs/Pistons would make for a much better series.

And honestly, I feel more comfortable with the Spurs because I'm a lot more familiar with how the Pistons matchup with them.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I would be absolutely pissed if the Spurs don't make it. You always want to beat the best.

me too

Darrin
05-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I know a lot of you have said that you only want to face the Spurs in the Finals. So if the Spurs got knocked out before the Finals, would you guys be severely disappointed or would you feel relieved knowing you would beat down the Mavs/whoever else comes out of the West? Or do you think you will beat us down if you face us in the Finals? Would you consider this championship a tad dissappointing if you didn't face the Spurs?

I haven't really considered this possiblity. In the long run, a Larry O'Brien trophy is a Larry O'Brien trophy. You play the team that is infront of you and opportunities to play in the NBA Finals always have to be treated as fleeting because they are. Dallas, the Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Spurs - it doesn't matter. I want to see them hoist that trophy more than I want to see them beat San Antonio.

But make no mistake: I want to see the Spurs in the Finals. This season has been about chasing Game seven from last season, using that at motivation for one more opportunity, to stack the deck in their favor. That's why they played through injuries, played the Bobcats in February like they were in the Finals and didn't take games off until they had accomplished goals they set towards the postseason.

Let me turn this question back on you. Do you remember 2001, the West Finals against the Lakers? That must have pained you as a fan. So you get the re-match in 2002, and Robinson's not fully healthy, no home-court this time, a different TP is off his game, and they still beat you, right? Do you want a piece of the LA Lakers in 2003? Were you like the Mavs and Kings and the rest of the Conference that wanted someone else to knock off the Lakers, or did you want to see your team, the Spurs knock them off?

This isn't a case where I'm cheering for the lesser team to win or the better matchup. I truly believe these Pistons can rack up 4 wins against any team in the league. I feel they would be worthy NBA Champions and that's the ultimate goal. But it would be worth something extra special if Manu and Duncan and Parker were the ones that had to watch us celebrate a Championship. If I'm building the ultimate sundae, it would be the extra whipped cream and chocolate fudge sauce on top. It would be like putting on warm clothes out of the dryer.

The Championship wouldn't just be about who was the best team this season, but a statement about the resiliency of this team to not fold under adversity. I think it would highlight the true nature of this teams' success - their belief they can always win; their mental toughness and preparation. Plus, like I have said before, I wouldn't mind turning the Pistons and Spurs into the Lakers/Celtics of the 1980s.

But I'd be willing to give that all up for the 2005-06 NBA Championship. No need to be too greedy.

td4mvp21
05-06-2006, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Darrin]
Let me turn this question back on you. Do you remember 2001, the West Finals against the Lakers? That must have pained you as a fan. So you get the re-match in 2002, and Robinson's not fully healthy, no home-court this time, a different TP is off his game, and they still beat you, right? Do you want a piece of the LA Lakers in 2003? Were you like the Mavs and Kings and the rest of the Conference that wanted someone else to knock off the Lakers, or did you want to see your team, the Spurs knock them off?

This isn't a case where I'm cheering for the lesser team to win or the better matchup. I truly believe these Pistons can rack up 4 wins against any team in the league. I feel they would be worthy NBA Champions and that's the ultimate goal. But it would be worth something extra special if Manu and Duncan and Parker were the ones that had to watch us celebrate a Championship. If I'm building the ultimate sundae, it would be the extra whipped cream and chocolate fudge sauce on top. It would be like putting on warm clothes out of the dryer.
[QUOTE]

I didn't see the 2001 series, I was not as into the Spurs as I am now. However,yes, coming into the 2003 season I wanted revenge against the Lakers. I wanted the Spurs to beat them and no one else. But yeah, I get what you're saying.

Beer is Good
05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Put it the other way around, I don't necessarily care if we played the Pistons again in the Finals.

I would like to see somebody at least remotely challenge them in the East.
Of course, because the Pistons didn't beat US. We beat THEM. I dont give a shit if we face the Pistons or the fucking Cavs. Take on all comers. Right now it's the Mavs.

veronicamae
05-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm praying we play Detroit in the Finals.

If not, we'll have HCA and my best friend will have to cancel her trip out to Phoenix to go to a concert with me, because the concert is the first day of finals and she won't miss a home game. :(

C'MON DETROIT!!

J.T.
05-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Spurs making the Finals is what's important to me, I don't care who the opponent is. I would like to face Detroit again too, but if they don't make the Finals then it means they weren't good enough, plain and simple. Same with the Spurs if they don't make it. But out of the 8 teams left, Spurs and Pistons got the best chance of making the Finals. If NJ nuts up and plays like they did down the stretch they got a shot too, Miami will choke and the Cleveland Lebrons are about to get raped.

Hassdabballman
05-07-2006, 12:14 AM
I simply want to play the spurs bcuz of revenge, and bcuz i think it will be an easier match up for us if we play u guys(not that we'd lose to the mavs, we'd just beat the spurs faster).

Leetonidas
05-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I simply want to play the spurs bcuz of revenge, and bcuz i think it will be an easier match up for us if we play u guys(not that we'd lose to the mavs, we'd just beat the spurs faster).

:lol

samikeyp
05-07-2006, 01:12 AM
my bold prediction is that the clippers and heat will be duking it out for the 07 LOB trophy!

ok but what about this year? :)

East Coast Babe
05-07-2006, 04:38 AM
what a load of crap! :rolleyes

pistons fans talk like they really want to face the Spurs but i actually sense they
are hoping for another team! :rolleyes

my take on this is that neither the pistons or the spurs will meet in the finals :elephant

my bold prediction is that the clippers and heat will be duking it out for the 07 LOB trophy! :elephant

Well, I hope you are wrong about that, but it wouldn't be impossible. The Clippers have tried so hard for so long to even get into the play-offs and now they are in the second round! It would be interesting if they finally got in and then just won it! Make all their trying worthwhile! :spin