PDA

View Full Version : I just finished a 15 page monster on the word "thou"

CharlieMac
05-06-2006, 05:08 PM
What's the hardest assignment you've ever had to do for school?

Jekka
05-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm currently working on my senior thesis (due Monday, hooray). I'm writing 35 pages on Christianity's growth and success in Late Antique Gaul.

ashbeeigh
05-06-2006, 05:42 PM
I just finished a 15 page one of the schizophrenic like psychosis of epilepsy for my abnormal psychology class with 19 sources. Which hasn't been the hardest.

The biggest pain. The hardest...was the 25 page on where we all had to develop our own psychological experiment, do a lit review (with at least 25 sources..mine went back to 1950 and had to interlibry loaned from like UTHSC), figure out wihch psych test to use for it, predict the outcome, critique the possible outcome, and present it. I'm pretty sure I signed myself up for a class with a paper like that again next semester, except this one is 30 sources and with rats and birds.

JAY-Z
05-06-2006, 05:43 PM
15 page paper on the environment impact of skiing in California

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 05:47 PM
All the other topics sound reasonable. I have no idea how you could write 15 pages on the word "thou".

CharlieMac
05-06-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm currently working on my senior thesis (due Monday, hooray). I'm writing 35 pages on Christianity's growth and success in Late Antique Gaul.

Shitty deal (the 35 pages), good topic though. How many pages do you have?

CharlieMac
05-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I just finished a 15 page one of the schizophrenic like psychosis of epilepsy for my abnormal psychology class with 19 sources. Which hasn't been the hardest.

The biggest pain. The hardest...was the 25 page on where we all had to develop our own psychological experiment, do a lit review (with at least 25 sources..mine went back to 1950 and had to interlibry loaned from like UTHSC), figure out wihch psych test to use for it, predict the outcome, critique the possible outcome, and present it. I'm pretty sure I signed myself up for a class with a paper like that again next semester, except this one is 30 sources and with rats and birds.

19 sources? damn.

See, that's type of teacher/professor I will never, ever be. I'm not going to assign anything that I don't want to really read. Much less have there be a ridiculous amount of resources like that.

CharlieMac
05-06-2006, 05:53 PM
All the other topics sound reasonable. I have no idea how you could write 15 pages on the word "thou".

Oh man, I stretched it. I wrote on the Indo European roots, a lot on the germanic base, and a shit load of Shakespeare. I mean I did learn that the implications of thou could be sarcastic, affectionate, or whatever, so I guess I did learn something. By page 11 I was completely out of content though.

E20
05-06-2006, 05:54 PM
College sounds EZ compared to HS, can't wait until I get there.

Jekka
Shitty deal (the 35 pages), good topic though. How many pages do you have?

I've got about 25 pages right now - I'm filling in with more examples that relate to my analysis - the analysis (the hard part) is pretty much finished. I just get to wade through some more of Gregory of Tour's History of the Franks for miracle stories, etc. I'm currently up to 32 sources, but there will probably be more by the time I finish.

ashbeeigh
19 sources? damn.

See, that's type of teacher/professor I will never, ever be. I'm not going to assign anything that I don't want to really read. Much less have there be a ridiculous amount of resources like that.

We only needed five. I just needed to define all the different types of epilepsy, where in the brain and what not. The topic was ours to pick and since I have epilepsy it sounded interesting.Other people picked things like is ADD real, diagnosis of PMDD, legal ethics, etc. After finishing the paper I'm just hoping i don't go crazy now. :lol

ashbeeigh
05-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Just wait until you have three of these papers and four tests over five chapters all in two weeks..all of which interfers with your drinking habit and basketball/football season.

Jekka
05-06-2006, 06:00 PM
By page 11 I was completely out of content though.

Oh I know the feeling. You get to a point sometimes where "I just have nothing left to say." I've done more than my fair share of BSing on papers with crazy topics - my favorites were a 10 page paper on Camus' The Stranger where my argument was that Camus' intention was to say nothing of consequence (damn Existentialists), and there was another 15 page paper I did on alcohol and Native Americans in the Colonial period, which was all about "how the Native Americans got taken advantage of in every way imaginable".

Your "thou" paper has a pretty cool topic though, it sounds interesting.

katyon6th
05-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I hardly had to write any papers during college. Yay for a Multimedia degree!

My hardest assignments, though, had to involve 3d modeling/animation. That shit kicked my ass. One of our final projects required that we build a 3d model and animate it for 20 seconds (the gist of it). I built a freaking banana, gave it arms/legs/eyes, and made the thing dance for 20 seconds. I thought it was fantastic. And others were turning in freaking cartoon network shit. Man, I sucked.

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh man, I stretched it. I wrote on the Indo European roots, a lot on the germanic base, and a shit load of Shakespeare. I mean I did learn that the implications of thou could be sarcastic, affectionate, or whatever, so I guess I did learn something. By page 11 I was completely out of content though.
"In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrast. Thank you."

Jekka
05-06-2006, 06:11 PM

:lol My dad has always said that the most important thing you learn in college is bullshitting.

CharlieMac
05-06-2006, 06:31 PM

:lol

You know, I always try to nudge the professor to give an opinion on politics (not that it's hard to coax one out of a college professor) early in the semester. Then I just remember that when finals roll around. Then you throw in a line or two of political BS. I'm positive that I've gotten a bump up from a C to a B due to that.

ashbeeigh
05-06-2006, 06:38 PM
:lol

You know, I always try to nudge the professor to give an opinion on politics (not that it's hard to coax one out of a college professor) early in the semester. Then I just remember that when finals roll around. Then you throw in a line or two of political BS. I'm positive that I've gotten a bump up from a C to a B due to that.

I just gave a professor a horrible evaluation (for the 5th time!) because his polical views overshadow his teaching. And it doesn't help me any..because his views are crazy.

Horry For 3!
05-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Longest one I have had to write was 10 pages.

JAY-Z
05-06-2006, 07:05 PM
:lmao

MissAllThat
05-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Just wait until you have three of these papers and four tests over five chapters all in two weeks..all of which interfers with your drinking habit and basketball/football season.

Seriously, the "college sounds easy compared to high school" comment is crazy. Maybe it was just my high school though. HS was super easy. I did nothing and pretty much coasted through with all A's. It was like ok lets go out with friends on the weekend, not really pay attention and do homework in the morning right before class or pick up the book quickly before a test and glimpse over stuff to get an A. Now if you do that, you'll probably fail. Not to mention the papers. I think the worst/hardest ones I wrote were this semester. All of them were in history of colonial america and all were comparisons of books. It was quite horrible. Other than that, I had to do a sponsorship proposal that was a little difficult to get started on but not that bad once you did. I guess I haven't had that many super hard assignments, especially compared to the ones mentioned in here.

Buddy Holly
05-06-2006, 07:08 PM
I finished a 70 page dissertation on why some poop is brown while some can be pale or green.

Jekka
05-06-2006, 07:11 PM
History of Colonial America is one of my least favorite subjects - not to mention probably the one that incites the most cynicism in regards to national idealism.

E20
05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
College schedules are relatively easy compared to High School ones mind you. In college you have a much broader choice. High School is long and tires you out. Going to school for 7 hours everyday in the same classes isn't easy. On the other hand from what my teachers have told me and this is a direct quote take it for what it's worth:

College for some of you might be easier, just because of the scheduling differences, in college you might have 1 hour of actual class time depending on your setup and you'll have the rest of the day to study for other classes or do whatever.

ashbeeigh
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
High school really prepared me for college, I took a lot of AP and honors classes that made me bust some ass so my freshman year I ended up with a 3.8 while everyone else was bitching about their 2.0 because they didn't have any "ethic". And scheduling is the worst/best part of college. Making sure you have those breaks in between will save anyone from a hellish semester.

Boris
05-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I just use getacollegepaper.com

MissAllThat
05-06-2006, 08:18 PM
High school really prepared me for college, I took a lot of AP and honors classes that made me bust some ass so my freshman year I ended up with a 3.8 while everyone else was bitching about their 2.0 because they didn't have any "ethic". And scheduling is the worst/best part of college. Making sure you have those breaks in between will save anyone from a hellish semester.

I took all those classes in high school and they were still a joke. Maybe my real issue with what was hard in college was just those core subject classes/things I didn't feel interested in because they served no purpose. I actually really enjoyed this semester (with the exception of His of Colonial America....that class sucked horribly), since I took classes that were in the main section of my major/had to do with sports.

CharlieMac
05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah, those AP classes were pretty easy. By senior year I was never showing up for 1st period (Art 4), and when I did, I'd just show up with a few tacos for the teacher. I had to show up for second period, then after that I would leave. I had work study and I was in close with the people in the attendance office. It was just that easy. Always buddy up to people in a position of power. I never understood teh mentality of these peopel that try to act like a hard ass with someone that is their superior.

Extra Stout
05-06-2006, 09:52 PM
15 pages on "thou?" Did you get to include "thee" and "thine" in that? Did you reference that Nordic letter that looks like a 'b' on top of a 'p'?

ShoogarBear
05-06-2006, 10:56 PM
15 pages on "thou?" Did you get to include "thee" and "thine" in that? Did you reference that Nordic letter that looks like a 'b' on top of a 'p'?
:lol Really, that still blows my mind.

You're going to have to post that bad boy somewhere. Was this for some sort of lingiustics class?

ashbeeigh
05-06-2006, 11:31 PM
:lol Really, that still blows my mind.

You're going to have to post that bad boy somewhere. Was this for some sort of lingiustics class?

Yeah. My schizophrenia one was complex, but that one sounds like it would be pretty hard to drag out without any BS.

Samr
05-07-2006, 12:33 AM
I will be majoring in English writing and rhetoric. Plenty of bullshit writing assignments expected in my future. Ya for me!

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2006, 01:16 AM
i got a 12page bs due in on thursday, gotto write about enviromental disclosure/legitimacy theory on reporting for accounting, fuckn bs! havnt started it yet, hopefull i get sum readin done by tonite

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2006, 03:49 AM
hey wat sort of regulating monitorin bodies deal with environmental issues guidelines besides EPA N GOVERNMENT STATUTE LAWS?? ANY OF U KNOW ANY OTHER BODIES?

DAMN ITS COLD IN MY ROOM 10 DEGREES, N NO HEATER HAHAHAAH

ploto
05-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Get a degree in math- no papers- just piles and piles of problems. Hardest class- far and away- three-dimensional differential calculus.

SpursWoman
05-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I hardly had to write any papers during college. Yay for a Multimedia degree!

I've written tons for me, and tons for my brother who was the baseball star at St. Mary's around the same time (:nerd). I'd won a place in this scholarship conference thing OLLU had each of my 3 years there...on papers written about the Virgin Mary, the History of Drawing, and some other one I can't remember, but none that seemed really that long or that complicated.

I love writing, and I'm very good at it...but yay for an accounting degree, too! :lol

travis2
05-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm just getting started on my dissertation research. I don't want to even THINK about how long it's going to be...

Jekka
05-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm just getting started on my dissertation research. I don't want to even THINK about how long it's going to be...

What is the subject of your dissertation?

travis2
05-07-2006, 10:05 AM
This is going to sound strange...but I'm not entirely sure...:lol

Basically, the work is going to involve using Bayesian analysis to derive topologies for certain gene regulatory networks.

The Bayesian theory I can handle (degree's in EE). It's the biology that I'm having to teach myself. :bang

MannyIsGod
05-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Just so you know Travis...

I consider myself an intelligent person and I have no fucking clue what you just said.

:)

ShoogarBear
05-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Now you know how I feel when certain people start talking about 70 thousand foot high storm tops.

Jekka
05-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Now you know I hwo feel when certain people start talking about 70 thousand foot high storm tops.

I usually counterract complicated weather jargon here with some sort of obscure history reference :lol

travis2
05-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Let me try again...though I don't know if I'll make it any better (my biology isn't so good...I'll probably fuck up the explanation)...

Proteins are created in the body due to the interaction of genes in the presence of environmental factors. Certain genes directly control the (eventual) creation of certain proteins. Some genes act as controllers for other genes...turning them on/up, or off/down.

Even though the majority of the human genome has been decoded, that doesn't mean we know what they all do or how they interact with each other.

Experiments can be conducted to measure what's known as "gene expression" due to certain environmental factors. Even then, all the measurement shows is a series of levels for certain substances. It doesn't show how they got there...which gene expressed/controlled another. Also, the measurements are not perfect. In fact, they're quite noisy. Further, even if we knew piece-wise which gene did what, that doesn't mean we could deterministically figure out a particular sequence of input to output...there's just too many combinations. So we try to figure things out probabilistically.

Bayesian theory is a way to use prior estimates and data with current estimates and data to produce (hopefully) better estimates. In this case, the end product of the analysis would be estimates of the network structure of a particular gene interaction (in other words...given a certain input, an estimate of which genes, in which order, at what magnitude, interacted to produce that particular output).

In my case, my first task is to find a way to combine several sets of dissimilar data into a model which would (hopefully) predict network paths better than current models do.

ashbeeigh
05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
That sounds really interesting travis. I had a feeling it was just a system of arranging gene expression. :tu

CharlieMac
05-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Let me try again...though I don't know if I'll make it any better (my biology isn't so good...I'll probably fuck up the explanation)...

Proteins are created in the body due to the interaction of genes in the presence of environmental factors. Certain genes directly control the (eventual) creation of certain proteins. Some genes act as controllers for other genes...turning them on/up, or off/down.

Even though the majority of the human genome has been decoded, that doesn't mean we know what they all do or how they interact with each other.

Experiments can be conducted to measure what's known as "gene expression" due to certain environmental factors. Even then, all the measurement shows is a series of levels for certain substances. It doesn't show how they got there...which gene expressed/controlled another. Also, the measurements are not perfect. In fact, they're quite noisy. Further, even if we knew piece-wise which gene did what, that doesn't mean we could deterministically figure out a particular sequence of input to output...there's just too many combinations. So we try to figure things out probabilistically.

Bayesian theory is a way to use prior estimates and data with current estimates and data to produce (hopefully) better estimates. In this case, the end product of the analysis would be estimates of the network structure of a particular gene interaction (in other words...given a certain input, an estimate of which genes, in which order, at what magnitude, interacted to produce that particular output).

In my case, my first task is to find a way to combine several sets of dissimilar data into a model which would (hopefully) predict network paths better than current models do.

Nerd alert. :lol

travis2
05-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Get it right, erik...it's geek. Any turd with delusions of adequacy can be a nerd, but it takes a EE to be a gEEk...:lol