PDA

View Full Version : Why the Spurs are better than Minny and will have the best record in the L

RobinsontoDuncan
10-07-2004, 05:16 PM
I really think that the only thing stopping the spurs from a 60+ win season last year was their 6 and 7 record without Tim Duncan and their horrible start. The truth is that last year we had lost Parker and TD early and then we had no offense once they came back because of the lack of chemistry with the loss of significant players from the 2003 campaign.
Do the math: even if we won only half of the games TD missed, we would have had a better record then Minny. Then think of the games we lost early when we just sucked; I don't know how many of you remember, but last season I didn't know if we would make the playoffs at first we were just horrible. Then we go on a 15 game winning streak and were good. This season we wont lose any games to LA, def not the clippers, Griz, or nuggets (all teams we lost to last year) and then you have to take a hard look at the kings and think: hmmm... are they really any good?
To speak frankly, there isnt a game we should lose this season because we are the best team around period. You will not find a team more loaded with young developing players (as opposed to the Timberwolves which were on the decline before they got started, look : Sam-I-Am and Spree just looked old last year) and the Mavs cant play defense. The mavs are the second best team in the L right now right after SA. I think dampier does more positive then nash does as a negative and watch out i think Stackhouse is starting before the season is over which makes finley more dangerous because he doesn't run out of juice now in the playoffs. Debate this all you want because wether or not anyone else sees the Mavs as actual threats doesn't bother me at all. I just am trying to show you why this year our team will reign supreme.

CosmicCowboy
10-07-2004, 05:35 PM
I agree that Spurs will start a lot stronger than last year and that Dallas will be better than they get credit for in here...they haven't had a legitimate center for years...

exstatic
10-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Minnesota will have players on and off the DL at the whim of KG's temper tantrums. He will never be a leader.

mysterious_elf26
10-07-2004, 06:19 PM
I agree, but are you trying to say SA will be undefeated or what. Dude, you have to get with reality here because of the strenuous 80+ game season. They will have their good days where they beat all the teams they lost to last year, but they will certainly have their bad days and could easily lose to teams like Chicago or Cleavland.

As for Dallas being a contender, I have to disagree. Yes, they go better at the center position, but with who? A person that is inconsistant. At pg, they got someone as talented as Nash, but again with who? A pg that shoots first and passes later. Dallas has lost their only true playmaker in which could even lead to hurting their offense. They still don't have D, their offense may not even be strong as last year because the loss of nash. Heck, I seriously thought that dallas actually down-graded their team rather than up-graded it.

As for second best, their are plenty other teams to choose from. Houston, yao and t-mac could easily be the best 1-2 punch in the nba. Utah, they almost managed to make it to the playoffs with mailman and stockton. Think about them with arroyo, ak47 and now okur and boozer. Denver, they were good, now think of them with k-mart and many more. Dallas is good because their jamm-packed with all stars, but they have been that way for the last couple of years only to make less of an impact in the playoffs. Big D only consists of players that could only make themselves look good and no one else. No playmaking or sharing the ball without nash and today that is not a combination to be a dominating team.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-07-2004, 07:12 PM
you misunderstand me, i dont think they are going to go undefeated. I think however that they should win every game, as in they ought to becaus ethey are better than anyone else

Brodels
10-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Some great points, but also some things I'd like to question.

The truth is that last year we had lost Parker and TD early and then we had no offense once they came back because of the lack of chemistry with the loss of significant players from the 2003 campaign.

While it's true that scoring without Duncan is harder than scoring with him, the offense really grew when he was hurt. The motion offense was a big step for the team and Parker, and it will help them get off to a good start this season. A Tim Duncan injury is never a blessing, but at least one positive thing came out of him missing time.

Then we go on a 15 game winning streak and were good. This season we wont lose any games to LA, def not the clippers, Griz, or nuggets (all teams we lost to last year) and then you have to take a hard look at the kings and think: hmmm... are they really any good?

In the NBA, any team can beat another on any given night. Weak teams won't beat good teams consistenly, but you can bet that the Spurs will lose some games to the Lakers, Clippers, Grizzlies, and Nuggets. Memphis and Denver are playoff teams and are only going to be better this season. I can't understand why you would dismiss them so quickly. Will the Spurs be better? If healthy, of course they will. But SA isn't going to beat them every time.

To speak frankly, there isnt a game we should lose this season because we are the best team around period.

That remains to be seen. Minny has played together for an entire year and they'll be good. The NBA champion Pistons have improved. The Spurs aren't clearly the best team. They are certainly among the best though.

You will not find a team more loaded with young developing players

Eh? The Spurs have Tony Parker and Devin Brown. No other young players on the team have established themselves. There are other teams with more young developing players. None of them have the solid role players and single superstar like the Spurs, though.

Sam-I-Am and Spree just looked old last year)

Bullshit. Sam had his best season as a pro, and Spree played very well in that system even if he has lost a step. Don't think that Sam looked old last season because he broke down in the playoffs. He looked great the rest of the year.

The mavs are the second best team in the L right now right after SA.

:lol Earlier in your post you talk about how the Spurs had a lack of chemistry last season because they lost players and got new ones. Dallas did the same thing. If the Spurs had chemistry problems, won't the Mavs? Many of the best players on that team haven't even played together before. Dallas can't possibly be considered the second best team in the League (over the Champions, no less) until they play together. That's the silliest thing I've read today.

They have lost of talent. But to call them the second best team in the league? That's just silly.

sickdsm
10-07-2004, 09:17 PM
As any wolves fan or Sac fan can tell you, injuries are a part of the game. As much as it hurts to pretend what would have happaned, it still doesn't mean shit. Its okay to think what if duncan was around but its laughable to think that guys like troy hudson and wally wouldn't have helped win a few games huh? As much as people like to think that Duncan is an iron man, the truth is that is part of his game, those small inuries. The bottom line is the spurs played @ full strength (and i might add they were on fire at that time) against the lakers and lost yet most "experts" don't hesitate to say that with sam cassell the wolves are playing in the finals last year. Being that sammy C's game has little to do with athleticism, i think his old age means less than most athletes, such as Spree. This year has lots of question marks (don't most years though?). As much as people were doing backflips about Tmac and Yao being the next Shaq and Kobe right after the trade, there not being underated. Juwon Howard, Mutombo, Sura, Jimmy Jackson isn't a bad supporting cast. Nuggets? There either going to take the next step or slip back IMO. Dallas? Most people assume the same. There a legitamate title contender or they'll sorely miss Nash. Minn? Same situation. There either going to implode and break down or be there come June according to most people. If anything though I've always felt this and i think most people (outside of SA) agree that S.A. has always been constant, you know what your going to get.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-07-2004, 09:18 PM
well about the mavs:
Dirk and Finley have been together forever + after 82 games i think they will be the second best team in the league. Yeah in the regular season they may not be great, but as long as nelly is coach they'll learn to score points and a bunch of them. I have long seen the fundamental weakness of this team as their inability to play any real defense for any stretch of time in the low post, Dampier can hold his own down low so i think the rest will come together for them by june.

Quickly:
On Sam Cassels- you are right, Sam Cassels experienced one of the best season of his career but that basically means shit if your tired in the playoffs. I think we had a slight miscommunication, when i talk about the best teams in the league, i mean about who could beat who in a seven game series also, not just the regular season, but i def. understand your point.

On other teams with young players:
You can make a case that there are other teams in the league with more youth and what looks like talent, but i consider the already proven talent of Manu Ginobili (who although 27 hasn't reached his potential yet) Tony Parker, and Devin Brown established as legitamate player. Yes Dallas has Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard, two exceptional players, but I feel our three along with the addition of Beno Udrih who i see being better than Speedy Claxton ( I know everyone is going to yell at me that he hasn't yet stepped on the NBA court, but i have been following him closely, did a lot of research, and really like what i'm seeing) and Romain Sato will be, in my opinion, the next Bruce Bowen with perhaps more offensive ability. I have seen him a bit in college and he just think that will be a role he will excel at in the pros. That along witht the addition of Linton Johnson III should prove to be a dynamic young core of developing role players. Debate this all you like but that's what i see.

My point about our ability to win every night:
Your also right that some of those teams may beet us, somehow i think that our teams dislike of the lakers will push them to sweep that series, but the other teams may win a game against us, but we swept the Griz in the playoffs and if i remeber the game they beat us Duncan went down in the first. The Clips beat us when Duncan was hurt to and have become a much worse team. The nuggets are interesting because they will be tough, but i still think we win all four because they're success is tied to a young player who is much easier to frustrate then an established super-star, already battleharden when it comes to Bruce Bowen.

PS. That motion offesnse really helped against the lakers, when they statred beating tony up, we fell apart. There has to be an alternative game plan. I think we have the personel to execute one this season beacuse i think that Beno cannot be worse than Jason Hart, Charlie Ward, and Alvin Carter(whom i have tremenfdous respect for and whom i would like to see get more respect from our fans, he was a good man). Then the addition of Brent Barry who will be a huge step up over Hedo Chokealot.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Minn? Same situation. There either going to implode and break down or be there come June according to most people. If anything though I've always felt this and i think most people (outside of SA) agree that S.A. has always been constant, you know what your going to get.

Hey i respect your insight and your nonbiased post here but i want you to think about this, your team is built on an old foundation. That wont last long. I think last year was the equivalent of the raiders making the superbowl, the old team achived at its maximum potential and now the are on the decline. That is why building through free agancy isn't the way to go, a team should attemot to establish itself through the draft and pick up a few key role players in FA. In the west anything can happen but unless your really a homer you have got to give the spurs props for being the best team in L. They have in TD the best player in the L. Shaq is great but he is older and needs a guard to complement him and finish the game in the fourth when a center cant hit the big three. KG is not unstopable int he paint. Period, his low post game is good, but TD has the skills to tear any team that doesnt have shaq in the middle up everynight. KG will not score thirty on TD. Wont happen.

i dont know why that quote isnt working

sickdsm
10-07-2004, 09:35 PM
On Sam Cassels- you are right, Sam Cassels experienced one of the best season of his career but that basically means shit if your tired in the playoffs. I think we had a slight miscommunication, when i talk about the best teams in the league, i mean about who could beat who in a seven game series also, not just the regular season, but i def. understand your point.

What happaned to E.T. is a direct result in Troy being officially diagnosed as having THEE worst ankle sprain in history and being forced to cover for him. I know that, you know that and every die-hard NBA fan knows that. Sam was forced to play minutes that he couldn't deal with. It would be like Yao pushing 35 MPG and being gassed at the end of the year.

On your comments about Dallas: Supposedly Cuban has been insisting on a more defensive oriented team this summer. Its too bad Cuban is the owner of that team because i could really see myself pulling for them if he wasn't the owner. I can see right through his fake smile and personality so easy. He's done as much as HE can do, he needs to back off and let them play, i think they could do so much better with the right management. As long as they bring in stopgates such as Jamison/Walker/Stackhouse/Vince or whatever the hell underachieving tweener there after they won't be able to play to their potential.

sickdsm
10-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Well what's done is done so i'm not going to get into the joe smith fiasco but you do what you have to do and SINCE then the wolves have catapulted themselves into the elite by two crafty trades last year and brialliant pickups. Kevin Garnett, Troy Hudson, Wally, and Trenton hassell are all young quality guys that are locked in longterm. Trenton basically played as good as a lottery pick could have last year. You choose to highlight Sam and spree as the team to showcase the entire team is old. Spree has people waiting on the pine that wouldn't miss a beat subbing in for him and Sam doesn't need quickness for his game. As for the KG dropping 30 on TD, if he would play different it could happan every night. I was so dissapointed watching KG go against malone in the WCF. All the critics tell him that he needs to play in the paint but KG can take any forward, power or small off the dribble and he still has that very consistant midrange jumper. KG is too small to defend a guy like tim though, which is really a center anyway. You also can make the arguments against shaq but if i had a choice between the two guys, for one year only, i would not think twice about taking shaq. The guy gets it done. Tim is not capable of absolutely destroying quality players with double and triple teams coming at him like Shaq can. Theres a reason every one in the WC let loose a sigh of relief when shaq got traded. He may get all the calls but that goes with his game.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-07-2004, 10:37 PM
def. but shaq is getting older and he just lost the best compliant he ever played with, so now he is officially out of the championship picture. yeah he will be great next year but he doesnt have kobe to win the game for him in the fourth.

Tim would dominate KG in any playoff series, if you look at the best year in TD's career right now he was a better player than KG was last year. (2001-02) The difference is that now TD is trying to let his team become the best that it can be and surrenders his will to constantly takeover game while KG is turning into just the oposite. He may be able to score from more places on the court but KG could never dominate a game the way TD can. He doesn't shoot as high a percentage, and he simply isn't strong enough to stop TD from getting anywhere at any time. We will probably never see a TD vs. KG head on battle though, because as KG steps it up, TD will simply step, and pass, around him.

timvp
10-08-2004, 12:59 AM
The T'Wolves are going to be damn good again. If you tell yourself otherwise, you're just fooling yourself.

Spree and Cassell are two hardasses ... especially in the playoffs. They won't hesitate to stab daggers into your heart. KG is a monster who seems to still be getting better. Wally, Hudson and Hoiberg can shoot the lights out. Ervin and Olowokandi aren't horrible. I also wouldn't discount Ebi or even Griffin from turning it on this season.

They will be a tough out in the playoffs.

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 01:11 AM
I question Cassell's health after something as bad as hip surgery. Also, Olowokandi had another surgery this summer. I don't know how effective he'll be (not that it really matters). And if they are really going to try to play Garnett at center for stretches as rumored, that might become an experiment gone bad. I think they are definitely one of the true contenders. But they still have some question marks.

Supergirl
10-08-2004, 08:38 AM
The Spurs, the Timberwolves and the Pistons will be the top teams in the league, and who comes out on top will depend in large part on injuries and timing. All three could have what it takes - they're all loaded with talent and have the chemistry and experience. Timberwolves are at a slight disadvantage due to age, IMO. But if the Pistons or the SPurs suffer from injury or misstep, they'll be right there to clean up.

The Heat will face the Pistons in the East finals, because Shaq will power them there. But there's no reason to think they're better than the Pistons - Shaq has less help than he did last year when he got spanked by the Pistons.

bigzak25
10-08-2004, 11:05 AM
agreed superG.

Iron Giant
10-08-2004, 11:29 AM
The Heat will face the Pistons in the East finals, because Shaq will power them there.
I'm not convinced that Shaq's supporting cast is sufficient to get them to the ECF--while Wade is good, and Eddie Jones is still solid, I still like Indy's chances if they catch the Heat in an earlier round (or Detroit's for that matter). Any injury to Shaq, at all, and this team goes nowhere.

Sportcamper
10-08-2004, 11:42 AM
A healthy Shaquille could lead his team to the ECF with Dr. Jim...Travis....Duff...And Slava Medvedenco....

But the fact remains The Diesel spends more time on the injured list every year....

RobinsontoDuncan
10-08-2004, 01:14 PM
well if shaq is as healthy as they say he is....

but you may think that the timberwolves are going to be good, but if you think they're better than the spurs timvp, your sadly mistaken

sickdsm
10-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Kandi's surgery was just minor clean up stuff. It was expected at the end of the season. Its nothing groundbreaking.

The difference is that now TD is trying to let his team become the best that it can be and surrenders his will to constantly takeover game while KG is turning into just the oposite.

I've respected everything you've said until this. That is just crap. Switch names around and rewind to '99 or so and whover said this would get laughed out of the house for spinning things. You make is sound as if Kevin's teamates had an off year. They didn't. Earvin, even with his stats, showed he could be the starting center on a contending team. Spree showed that even though he's lost a step he's still worthy of mention among the top sg's of the west. Sam, well, do i even need to say anything about his career year? Trenton Hassell earned himself a fat contract after other teams fighting over him less than a year after he was searching the want ads. Hoiberg too was cut.

If KG was all about himself it wouldn't have took him until game 7 of the semi's to lose the label of scared to take over games. Not only that but the guy wouldn't care about getting his teamates the rock, which only Larry Bird can relate to. 20/10/5