PDA

View Full Version : Family kicked out of buffet restaurant

T-Pain
05-07-2006, 02:58 AM
news.yahoo.com

(sorry if this has been already posted)

DES MOINES, Iowa - Wendy Dershem may think twice before leaving that egg roll on her plate at her next Chinese buffet. The Des Moines woman, her boyfriend and her two children were kicked out of a restaurant last week after management accused her of leaving too much food on her plate.

"They told us we are not welcome there anymore," said Dershem, a repeat customer at the Dragon House buffet. "We waste too much food. But the buffet is all you can eat. And you know kids. They won't always eat everything and they want something else."

Dershem said she paid her $5.95 fee on Saturday but was abruptly told to leave after eating one plate of food.

Employees said they had been watching her family on previous trips to the restaurant and were fed up with her habits.

"They just take one bite and throw it away," said cashier Lin Huyen. "They take four egg rolls and crab ragoon, take one bite of egg roll and throw the whole plate. That is wasting food."

Dershem said she was shocked by the scolding and complained to management when she paid her check. "It was embarrassing. ... If it's a one-stop buffet, post it," she said.

Dragon House manager Kent Cao said his restaurant offers all you can eat buffet, not all you can waste. Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again, he said.

"Shes done that too many times," Cao said. "We would welcome her back if she has respect and knows what she wants."

Bob Oberbillig, an adjunct professor at the Drake Legal Clinic, says the patron would have no legal case against exclusion from a business unless there are other factors such as racial discrimination or mental health issues.

"An establishment can exclude people if they smoke or waste food," he said. "It's still a private business."

Good call on the restaurant manager. I cant stand people who waste a whole plate of untouched food. I used to work in a kitchen at a restaurant and occasionally saw whole plates of food being wasted. I just wanted to kick their ass. Shows how much we as Americans take food and buffets for granted.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 03:05 AM
What's the big deal? Most of that Chinese shit is back in 20 minutes if you know what I mean.

The larger question is...why is this news? This ranks up there with 'teenager asked to leave Gap store in suburban Atlanta'...

Neo
05-07-2006, 03:05 AM
There is no need to eat in the Matrix.

gospursgojas
05-07-2006, 03:06 AM
I agree with you TPain.... Serves her right for taking advantage of the restaurant

T-Pain
05-07-2006, 03:11 AM
What's the big deal? Most of that Chinese shit is back in 20 minutes if you know what I mean.

The larger question is...why is this news? This ranks up there with 'teenager asked to leave Gap store in suburban Atlanta'...

How would you like it if you were cooking at a barbeque and you saw me pick up some meat, put it on my plate, take a bite out of it, throw it away, and come back for more? I would be pissed because I put work into cooking that meat and its simply a waste of food.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 03:14 AM
If you paid me $6 for the plate I probably wouldn't give a damn. How much exactly does an egg roll cost to make? If the Buffet Nazi can't stand someone not finishing their plate they might as well find a new business.

T-Pain
05-07-2006, 03:22 AM
If you paid me $6 for the plate I probably wouldn't give a damn. How much exactly does an egg roll cost to make? If the Buffet Nazi can't stand someone not finishing their plate they might as well find a new business.

dude they werent just wasting egg rolls. From the sounds of it, they had to have been wasting a lot more food than eggrolls to kick them out. Plain and simple, dont waste food.

Neo
05-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Plain and simple, dont waste food.Don't cook dogs then.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 03:29 AM
dude they werent just wasting egg rolls. From the sounds of it, they had to have been wasting a lot more food than eggrolls to kick them out. Plain and simple, dont waste food.

Dude, it's a fucking Chinese buffet. The model is based on people eating shitloads of cheap ass food. If they're worried about a few plates of food then they likely have more pressing concerns with their business.

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Mainly Yesterdays Leftover They Couldnt Sell

TheSanityAnnex
05-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude..................Chinese food sucks anyways, that stuff in knarly.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine

Spam
05-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Don't they have the "Take all you want, Eat all you take" sign that all buffets have?

HennyYoungman
05-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Sounds to me like that family bit off more than they could chew.

Vashner
05-07-2006, 12:44 PM
hum.. is this a booger or a pea in my fried rice?

exstatic
05-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Buffets of any kind are nasty, and I avoid them.

WTF? They don't know if their kids want or like eggrolls, but they take 4-5? Try one, cut it in half, and give half to each kid. If they like it, THEN go back for more. People just have no fucking brains.

CheapBastard
05-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I love buffets..pay for one and we all eat.

pache100
05-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Don't they have the "Take all you want, Eat all you take" sign that all buffets have?

I wondered about this, too. I don't really have a problem with it (the sign or the manager asking the woman not to come back). I don't see this as much different than not allowing sharing plates or not allowing people to take-out all you can eat stuff. These buffets are generally cheap and if you don't know if you (or your kids) like something, you should only take a little until you find out...you can always go back for more if you do like it, and this cuts down on waste.

There is a woman who frequents the CiCi's Pizza at the forum. I wish they'd do something about her. She and her kids take enough slices of pizza on one visit to equal 3 or 4 whole pizzas (she takes the equivalant of a whole one herself). And they only eat the topping! They leave the crust and just pile it up on plates on their table. Sometimes, it's falling over and going in the floor before the busboy can pick it up. And, I'm not talking about just the crust at the edge of the pan, but the crust on the whole slice of pizza; they scrape off the top with a knife. When these people are in the restaurant, there is never any pizza anyone wants on the buffet because they are standing there waiting for it, by the time they all get two or three slices each, there's none left for anyone else. It's disgusting. I have never reported it to the manager, but I have seen and heard other people complaining, and they never do anything. I think if people are going to do that, they should have to buy separate pizzas, or they should have to pay more. We have pretty much quit going there because of this situation. It's not just the way they eat pizza, either, but those kids act like wild indians in the restaurant, running around and shouting, and climbing on the booth backs.

No, I don't blame the manager at all. I applaud him.

Vashner
05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Make a "special pizza" for the family with some laxitive pills ground up.

Uh the mgr wanted me to send your family a special Supreme everything pizza
as a gratitude.

pache100
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Make a "special pizza" for the family with some laxitive pills ground up.

Uh the mgr wanted me to send your family a special Supreme everything pizza
as a gratitude.

:lol

chode_regulator
05-08-2006, 09:15 PM
There is no need to eat in the Matrix.
lol

ChaCho's Nacho's
05-08-2006, 09:39 PM
they should have went to chacho's