PDA

View Full Version : ben wallace will get dpoy on tuesday, WTF

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2006, 02:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2436694

FUCK HIM, BOWEN IS ROBBED AGAIN

Borosai
05-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Who votes for this shit anyway? That sucks...Bowen deserves it.

v2freak
05-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Ridiculous...

Pistons < Spurs
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
it's been pretty obvious for a few weeks now that Ben was gonna win, but I agree that they got it wrong.

v2freak
05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
^Well then again supposedly Wallace wasn't going to get the award last year, but he did.

DETROIT_PISTONS
05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
:elephant Big Ben Is The Best !!!

Vinnie_Johnson
05-07-2006, 04:52 PM
You don't know what Ben does for The Pistons if you don't think he earned it.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-07-2006, 04:54 PM
You don't know what Ben does for The Pistons if you don't think he earned it.
well you don't know what Bowen does for the Spurs if you think he didn't deserve it more

J.T.
05-07-2006, 05:16 PM
The NBA is rigged...this, along with the attempt to let Mavs take HCA away from Spurs today, proves it.

ObiwanGinobili
05-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Ben deserved all his DPOY awards ...... except this one. this was not a Ben Wallace king of Defense year.

And Bruce was our savior in an incredible # of games. But becasue he is not playing Center or PF gettign block shots & rebounds stat #'s racked up to high heaven he is over looked. Bruce shuts people down like no other. that man was robbed.

FreshPrince22
05-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Ben deserved all his DPOY awards ...... except this one. this was not a Ben Wallace king of Defense year.

And Bruce was our savior in an incredible # of games. But becasue he is not playing Center or PF gettign block shots & rebounds stat #'s racked up to high heaven he is over looked. Bruce shuts people down like no other. that man was robbed.

IMO, the fact that the D hasn't slipped with a new coach coming in that doesn't focus on D at all solidifies it. His minutes are down thus his numbers are down (though he averaged a career high in steals), yet he's still the only player in the top 10 in boards, steals, and blocks. He's the only guy in the league that you can plug into any team and make them a very good defensive team. He zones the floor up like no one else in the league.

PistonsNation
05-07-2006, 06:01 PM
That's what the f#ck I'm talking about. Let's burn this mother f#cker down Pookie!

Ben earned it and deserves it. Long live Ben Wallace, King of defense!

samikeyp
05-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I have no problem with Ben or Bruce winning it. I would have preferred Bruce to win it but Ben Wallace is IMO deserving every year.

JamStone
05-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Bruce probably deserved the DPOY just as much as Ben Wallace, especially this season. But, it's hard to argue that Bruce overwhelmingly was the better defender all season long. I think Bowen deserved it this season, but I wouldn't say that Ben doesn't deserve it.

PistonsNation
05-07-2006, 06:23 PM
^Exactly, you don't just give it to Bowen because Ben has won the last 4/5. He's got to take it from Ben, and he just didn't do that. The people who vote have a clue about what they're voting for. Ben deserved it.

Darrin
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Who votes for this shit anyway? That sucks...Bowen deserves it.

I agree; Bowen deserves it. He was my pick, and I made my case in another thread for why he should get it. I think it pathetic that Ron Artest has won one and Ben Wallace has won four while Bowen has never been recognized. He's just as good as Artest on the perimeter, and just as undrafted as Ben Wallace.

That being said, we are talking about a guy who finished top 10 in the 3 defensive catergories for a 64-win team. When he's out of the lineup, the Pistons are a sub-.500 team (3-5 with Rasheed Wallace and Rasheed Wallace). He set a career-high in steals this season (146). He joined David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, and Sam Lacey as the only players with six-straight seasons of 100 blocks and 100 steals.

It was a big deal his first season in Detroit that he led the team in Steals, Blocks, and Rebounds in the same season because he was the first to ever do it. Six years in, this is his sixth year of doing it. It's so common, no one even mentions this fact anymore. Oh, and he did this all by averaging his lowest minutes per game since 2000-01, his first season in Detroit.

Bruce Bowen probably won't ever win a Defensive Player of the Year trophy and that's the most frustrating thing about Wallace winning this award. But don't let that take away from what Ben Wallace has done. It's not like Steve Nash winning the MVP this morning.

kidd
05-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Ben wallace getting MVP is a joke. He isn't as good as he used to be.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Ben Wallace deserves MVP more than Nash does.

Okay, maybe not. :)

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Ben Wallace deserves MVP more than Nash does.

Okay, maybe not. :)

LOL

Darrin
05-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Ben wallace getting MVP is a joke. He isn't as good as he used to be.

The guy just had a career year in steals. He is just as dominant as ever, the difference being that he has teammates who are capable of helping him in the areas he dominates.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Teammate Rasheed Wallace became animated and extremely vocal in his mock surprise when asked about Wallace's fourth defensive player of the year award.

"They gave that #$$@ to him again?" Rasheed Wallace said, loud enough so that Ben Wallace could hear as he exited the locker room. "Ah, dog, that's felonious. It's felonious. Fe-lone-e-us. He was not even in my top three. Honestly, they only gave it to him because we the Pistons."

Ben walked past, shook his head and said, "With guys like that in your corner ..."

That last line by Sheed is classic

SA210
05-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Everyone,
Signs at next game on Tuesday:

"BRUCE, You're our REAL DPOY!"

v2000
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2436694

FUCK HIM, BOWEN IS ROBBED AGAIN
of course you guys would say that. you are all homer spurs fans.

bdubya
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Coulda gone either way, IMHO. Ben and Bowen do very different things for their teams; it's apples and oranges, just that the apples can be quantified a lot more easily. Plus casual observers notice Ben more. Maybe if Bowen sprouted a mohawk or something next year, he'd get more recognition.

CubanMustGo
05-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Of course, it will be a cold day in hell before Dallas fans have to worry about someone being named DPoY.

Wallace is a worthy selection, but you don't see him being put on the opposing team's best player. I'd like to see him guard Kobe one-on-one. For that reason I would have like to see Bowen get it for a change ... but Big Ben's selection is not a travesty.

v2000
05-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Of course, it will be a cold day in hell before Dallas fans have to worry about someone being named DPoY.

Wallace is a worthy selection, but you don't see him being put on the opposing team's best player. I'd like to see him guard Kobe one-on-one. For that reason I would have like to see Bowen get it for a change ... but Big Ben's selection is not a travesty.
personally, i think both are very deserving of it, and could have gone either way. but i dont think there is a clear cut winner between the two, like some people think. its a close race. but those who say that Bowen should have unquestionably won it, are total homers.

as for your Dallas comment, i have no clue what that has to do with anything here. why dont you try to stick to the topic, instead of trying to insult the Mavs for no reason? that just shows a lack of debate skills when people do that.

JamStone
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Could you see Bruce Bowen checking Shaquille O'Neal?

Would Bruce be able to stop Dwight Howard from dunking the ball?

Bruce guards tall players like Dirk Nowitzki or Chris Bosh somewhat effectively because those 7-footers are perimeter players. Stick Bowen on even an average center that is strictly on the low block like Jamaal Magloire or even Eddy Curry, does he have success stopping them from getting dunks and lay-ins like 80% of the time?

Would Bruce Bowen guard Drew Gooden then Zydrunas Ilgauskas then LeBron James in the same game?

There are similar arguments against Bruce. However, there are many more exceptional swing men than there are dominating centers.

nkdlunch
05-08-2006, 12:04 PM
:lol are you saying Ben Wallace is somewhat succesfull at guarding Shaq????

hell no

CubanMustGo
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
as for your Dallas comment, i have no clue what that has to do with anything here. why dont you try to stick to the topic, instead of trying to insult the Mavs for no reason? that just shows a lack of debate skills when people do that.

of course you guys would say that. you are all homer spurs fans

Clear?

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 12:09 PM

And you've done an excellent job of reading the whole thread. :lol

JamStone
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM

hell no

You have to look at it in relative terms. No one can stop Shaq.

But, Ben will frustrate him more than most players. Ben will block Shaq's hook once in a while. Ben will make Shaq miss a little more frequently than most centers. And, Ben will play him straight up for the most part. And, Ben will at least hold Shaq back more often than most so that when Shaq does miss, he won't get the offensive rebound for a put-back dunk.

So, if Ben makes Shaq miss 40% of the time, at least that's twice as often as the average center.

Put it to you this way, with Ben playing Shaq straight up, Shaq only shoots about 55% from the field. With Bruce playing Shaq straight up, Shaq shoots 85% from the field, and the other 15%, Shaq will rebound 90% of those misses get putback dunks.

It would be analagous to seeing Kobe score 43 points on Bruce Bowen on 53% shooting, like he did against Bruce and the Spurs in the March 6, 2006 game, but had it been another defender, Kobe probably would have scored 60+ on 70% shooting.

Darrin
05-08-2006, 01:10 PM

hell no

The Pistons are 15-13 (.536) against Shaq's teams since Ben Wallace arrived in 2000, and Shaq hasn't won a playoff series (8-4). By comparison, the Pistons were 7-18 (.280) versus O'Neal's teams without Ben Wallace, losing their one playoff series (0-3).

That's the only stat that matters to me.

ForestBrain
05-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, here are some stats that cannot be denied.

Bruce:

Block shots per game: .37
Steals per game: .96
Rebounds per game: 3.9

Wallace:

Block shots per game: 2.21
Steals per game: 1.78
Rebounds per game: 11.3

Clearly, Ben beats Bruce in all of those categories, and he kicks his butt in rebounds per game.
Now, I like the Spurs. But I do not like Bowen, he's freakin' annoying and dirty and gets away with crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXRTV8522c&search=ben%20wallace

RON ARTEST
05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
maybe they saw bonzi abbusing bowen and they said damn he sucks. :lol

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
maybe they saw bonzi abbusing bowen and they said damn he sucks. :lol

Honestly, you could be on to something there...

Alert the Conspiracy Theorists! This is a Regular Season Award!

George W Bush
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Everyone,
Signs at next game on Tuesday:

"BRUCE, You're our REAL DPOY!"

ehh, protesters.

I find 'em everywhere I go!