PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Officially Wins DPOY

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) - Detroit center Ben Wallace won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award for the fourth time in five years, a person within the Pistons organization told The Associated Press on Sunday.

The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the award has not been announced, said Wallace will be presented with the award Tuesday night before Game 2 of the second-round series against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Wallace joins Dikembe Mutombo as the only four-time Defensive Player of the Year in league history. The muscular 6-foot-9, 240-pounder also won the award last year in 2003 and 2002.

Detroit won an NBA-high and franchise-record 64 games during the regular season, helped by the work Wallace did while being honored as an All-Star for the fourth straight year.

Wallace ranked fourth in the NBA in rebounding (11.3), ninth in blocks (2.2) and 10th in steals (1.78) - the only player among the top 10 in all three categories - and led one of the NBA's top teams at the defensive end of the court.

He became the fifth player in league history to have 100 blocks and 100 steals in six straight seasons, a list that includes Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, Sam Lacey and David Robinson.

Wallace scored 7.3 points a game this season, and has not averaged double digits in any of his 10 years in the league.

Despite his lack of scoring, he is a key reason the Pistons have become one of the NBA's best teams in recent years. And Wallace - with his trademark Afro or cornrows - is clearly a sports celebrity in Detroit. His popularity is rivaled only by that of Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman, who might retire this offseason.

Detroit acquired Wallace from Orlando along with Chucky Atkins in a sign-and-trade deal for Grant Hill before the 2000-01 season. The building block for the Pistons' turnaround helped them advance in the playoffs in 2002 - for the first time since 1991 - to the conference finals in 2003, win a title in 2004 and get to the finals last year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5583310

This is complete Bull Shit. :pctoss

myhc
05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
:madrun :depressed :pctoss :rolleyes :oops

Leetonidas
05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, that sucks.

Spurologist
05-07-2006, 03:03 PM
It's all about the numbers I guess. Sadly, I don't know if Bowen will ever win one.

Borosai
05-07-2006, 03:03 PM
:grim:

Lame...Bowen deserves it.

Spurs Dynasty
05-07-2006, 03:04 PM
This is bullshit. When will Bowen get his due? Have you looked at the players stats that he guards... all season vs. being guarded by Bowen. This is astounding !

themvp
05-07-2006, 03:04 PM
That really, I mean really sucks.

I like Big Ben, but Bowen should be DPOY of this year.

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:06 PM
It's all about the numbers I guess. Sadly, I don't know if Bowen will ever win one.

Obviously it can't be about the numbers...Wallace has some blocks and steals, but Bowen has a better offensive game so that cancels it out. Wallace doesn't have impressive numbers across the board either. What amazes me is that of the Pistons games I have watched this season, Ben Wallace hasn't been as great as he has been in previous years.

Bowen on the other hand has been clearly, clearly outstanding. Today's game is just a testament to that. It can't even be called homerism, because I honestly thought this season it was clear-cut that Bruce is the leagues DPOY.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Remember, these are the same voters who think we live in the Era of Steve Nash Domination.

(although Ben is actually a reasonable choice)

Supergirl
05-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Bowen showed today why he deserves DPOY. This just proves that the people who get to vote don't actually watch basketball. Bowen guarding Dirk so effectively, to say nothing of how he guards the Kobe Bryants of the league (high scoring guards) is so much more impressive than ANYTHING BEN WALLACE HAS EVER DONE IN HIS ENTIRE F-ING CAREER.

This is bullshit. I really thought this was the year the committee pulled their heads out of their asses and gave it to Bowen. Apparently not.

Leetonidas
Obviously it can't be about the numbers...Wallace has some blocks and steals, but Bowen has a better offensive game so that cancels it out. Wallace doesn't have impressive numbers across the board either. What amazes me is that of the Pistons games I have watched this season, Ben Wallace hasn't been as great as he has been in previous years.

Bowen on the other hand has been clearly, clearly outstanding. Today's game is just a testament to that. It can't even be called homerism, because I honestly thought this season it was clear-cut that Bruce is the leagues DPOY.

Why would his offensive game cancel it out? This is Defensive Player of the Year.

rayray2k8
Figured this would happen..
This was a lazy pick.
But I'll bet bruce would prefer the June Hardware instead.
GO SPURS GO!!!

Horry For 3!
05-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Whoever picks the winners = fuckin stupid

BruceBowenFan
05-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Whoever picks the winners = fuckin stupidi agree with him

Spurologist
05-07-2006, 03:11 PM
has a better offensive game so that cancels it out

it's a defensive award but you make some good points. Wallace hasn't played well as in previous years but they are giving him the nod because of his style of play.

The commentators are blowing him on any single good play he makes. Add the print media to that list. Bowen never gets enough respect. :pctoss

Texas_Ranger
05-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Bowen was better in defense than Ben Wallace. Thats a big shit. :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun

sprrs
05-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Big load of bullshit. This was arguably the best chance he's ever gonna get to win that award and he gets shafted. I only hope it doesn't affect his game, that he doesn't bother playing defense anymore. I'm pretty sure he knows better than to give up, and it might just fuel him, but it has to hurt.

:pctoss

Tek_XX
05-07-2006, 03:16 PM
These idiot voters gave it to Artest one year so they really have no excuse for not giving to Bowen other than the fact that they don't respect his game and they believe that he's "dirty"

NCaliSpurs
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
C'mon, Ben Wallace is a good pick. It is not completely ridiculous like the Nash landslide.

The Pistons deserve some regular season awards for an absolutely great season.

Congratulations Ben Wallace.

Bruce - You are All-NBA 1st Team, and definitely All-World 1st team.

T Park
05-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Ncali,

you honestly think Wallace deserved it over Bowen!??!

God PIstons fans said he didn't deserve it.

God you post like Dirk Nowitzki.

~Sweetmelody~
05-07-2006, 03:27 PM
C'mon, Ben Wallace is a good pick. It is not completely ridiculous like the Nash landslide.
The Pistons deserve some regular season awards for an absolutely great season.
Congratulations Ben Wallace.
Bruce - You are All-NBA 1st Team, and definitely All-World 1st team.

I wouldn't say Ben Wallace was a bad choice, he would be my second choice, but I was really wishing Bowen would get it so yeah, it hurts that Bowen didn't get it.

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't say Ben Wallace was a bad choice, he would be my second choice, but I was really wishing Bowen would get it so yeah, it hurts that Bowen didn't get it.

:tu

exstatic
05-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Within 48 hours, Bowen guarded Mike Bibby and Dirk Nowitski. I fucking challenge Ben Wallace to lock down a guard for an entire game, because Bruce has defeinitely locked down 7 footers.

This is bullshit. Wallace is good, but he's not good enough to win almost every fucking year.

Gin N Juice
05-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Funny how the Spurs without this seasons MVP, DPOY, MIP, COY or ROY managed to win the WC with 63 wins and yet no one outside the loyal Spurs fans thinks they can win it all. This team really is flying under the radar this year, just the way POP likes it. :lol

Go FUCKING SPURS Go!!!

T Park
05-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Within 48 hours, Bowen guarded Mike Bibby and Dirk Nowitski. I fucking challenge Ben Wallace to lock down a guard for an entire game, because Bruce has defeinitely locked down 7 footers.

This is bullshit. Wallace is good, but he's not good enough to win almost every fucking year.

Ben Wallace rebounds, and blocks shots.

He also guards bigs well.

But he couldn't guard a Dirk, or a Bibby.

NCaliSpurs
05-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Ncali,

you honestly think Wallace deserved it over Bowen!??!

God PIstons fans said he didn't deserve it.

God you post like Dirk Nowitzki.

:lol

That was a wicked burn.

My point was that the Pistons got no love in any regular season awards, but they had the best regular season of any team.

I don't think Ben Wallace was > Duncan really.

And I think Bowen was spectacular, but Wallace winning certainly isn't as ridiculous as Nash winning in a landslide.

MannyIsGod
05-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Complete and utter bullshit. Can someone send them the video of today's second half? You know, the second half where a supposed MVP candidate gets shut the fuck down?

NCaliSpurs
05-07-2006, 03:43 PM

But the Suns fans will tell you that the past doesn't matter.

I don't think Wallace was the DPOY, but somebody on that team needed to get a regular season award. They dominated the regular season, and only let off the gas when it was clear no one could catch them.

NCaliSpurs
05-07-2006, 03:44 PM

This sums up how I feel as well. I think Bowen is awesome, but he will never be appreciated for how good he really is until he is retired.

T Park
05-07-2006, 03:45 PM
don't think Wallace was the DPOY, but somebody on that team needed to get a regular season award. They dominated the regular season, and only let off the gas when it was clear no one could catch them

Bullshit.

The Spurs had a 63 win season.

A franchise record, where is the recognition for that!?!?!?

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't think Wallace was the DPOY, but somebody on that team needed to get a regular season award. They dominated the regular season, and only let off the gas when it was clear no one could catch them.

It doesn't work like that. Spurs won 63 games, one less than the Pistons, won the best record in the much harder WC, yet not one single Spurs player was considered in the Top 5 for any of the awards (unless you count Bruce finishing 2nd in DPOY voting).

lilmads
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
:(

Supergirl
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I have moved my outrage about this to my own blog:
http://basketballcommentary.blogspot.com/

Comments are definitely wanted. But I feel like for the most part, ranting about this here is preaching to the choir. Most people here understand how Bowen was robbed - AGAIN. My only solace is that Bowen could give a shit about this, and DPOY doesn't mean shit. Only titles do. Bowen's still got the edge on Wallace on that one.

NCaliSpurs
05-07-2006, 03:50 PM
It doesn't work like that. Spurs won 63 games, one less than the Pistons, won the best record in the much harder WC, yet not one single Spurs player was considered in the Top 5 for any of the awards (unless you count Bruce finishing 2nd in DPOY voting).

True. The Spurs are left out of this too.

I am not saying it is right.

I don't feel like I can win in this argument, because I felt like Bowen deserved it, but I do understand that Wallace was the defensive anchor of a great team that dominated the regular season.

Sure, the Spurs did quite well too, but the Pistons definitely let off the gas at the end and whooped us twice along the way to a 64 win season.

spurster
05-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Why should we be outraged? Ben deserved it. He plays great defense.

Of course, I think Bruce deserved it, too, but they can only give one.

texasqb2
05-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Remember, these are the same voters who think we live in the Era of Steve Nash Domination.

I'll believe Wallace as DPOY, but this Nash thing still gets me. They think he has been the league's most valuable player for 2 years in a row now? Any he wins by a landslide over Kobe and LeBron-GET REAL!

polandprzem
05-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna throw up. Realy.

Tht's not fair whatever you say it is not fair!!!

NOBODY DESERVES IT MORE THIS YEAR NO BODY!!!

Ask Iverson, Carter, Allen (or maybe not), Kobe, Bosh, Nowitzki, Randolph. Shit!

I'm calling Stern gotdammit!!!

polandprzem
05-07-2006, 03:59 PM
and :pctoss x1000000099930303030300403053050003050350305305030 5503012

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Eh, it's not really that big of a deal. They both deserve it and either would have been a solid choice...

Nash, OTOH, is a complete joke as B2B league MVP...

polandprzem
05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Eh, it's not really that big of a deal. They both deserve it and either would have been a solid choice...

Nash, OTOH, is a complete joke as B2B league MVP...

Fuck.. They both deserves it last year. This year was different

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Fucking candy ass, lazy ass voting is what it comes down to. Jackass voters aren't even watching the games, just checking the first name that comes to mind on defense.

Ben won this award off his reputation the last couple of years, not on what he did on the court this year - Bowen was better. This award should have an asterick next to it.

Ben Wallace - Defensive Player of the Year*

* voted on by a pack of dipshits who didn't even watch the games

Jimcs50
05-07-2006, 04:36 PM
This is bullshit. When will Bowen get his due? Have you looked at the players stats that he guards... all season vs. being guarded by Bowen. This is astounding !

I told you guys that it was announced last week on Dan Patrick, why are you surprised?

Get over it.

Individual awards are for losers.

The Finals MVP is the only individual award SA will win this year, and that is just fine with me.

:smokin

Spurologist
05-07-2006, 04:39 PM
I want to see the numbers from the voting. I want to see how idiotic the voters were.

jochhejaam
05-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks SB, I was frantically scrolling this thread for a voice of reason. :lol

Bowen will get his 1st team all defense again, how many years is that?

Pistons < Spurs
05-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I know you all are upset that your guy was completely snubbed when he was very deserving. But reading this thread, it seems that all of you, with few exceptions, seem to think that Ben doesn't even deserve to be mentioned as a possible DPOY, let alone the winner of said award.

I personally agree that Bowen deserved it this year. Many other Piston fans stated the same in various threads here. But it is not so ridiculious that Ben won.

Unfortunatly, the voters do not see all the games. I dare say members of this board watch and know more about basketball than the voters. They rely on ESPN's sportcenter, and published boxscores. They do not grasp what Bowen does night by night. Likewise though, people think Ben ONLY blocks and rebounds. He IS our defensive scheme, just as Bowen is yours. Most of what Ben does not show up on a boxscore. Also, arguments of Ben can't guard a guard, while Bowen can guard a 7 footer, is just plain stupid. They are different players at different positions, playing defense in a different way. Ben is a help side defender. Bowen is a man to man defender. Saying Ben doesn't guard the quality of player that Bowen does is silly. They defend and guard in a different manner. Bens' job is not to shut down a player, but to close down an area. Bowen is supposed to stick to his man, deny the ball, then force him into bad shots. It's apple and oranges.

Ben's #'s were down. Parlty age? partly being used differently by Flip? I thought it was Bowens year. If not now, when? To me, saying that Bowen will finish his career NEVER winning a DPOY is just as silly as Nash being a 2 time back-to-back League MVP. It sucks, and they got it wrong. But that doesn't mean Ben is a pice of shit defender.

I suppose many are just venting frustrations, and I shouldn't read too much into it. I know you're mad your boy, once again, didn't get the respect he deserves...but don't turn that into hate on Bens game.

Kori Ellis
05-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Bowen will feel fine when he wins another ring in June.

J.T.
05-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Ray Allen phoned all DPOY voters and said not to vote for Bruce.

exstatic
05-07-2006, 05:22 PM
I know you all are upset that your guy was completely snubbed when he was very deserving. But reading this thread, it seems that all of you, with few exceptions, seem to think that Ben doesn't even deserve to be mentioned as a possible DPOY, let alone the winner of said award.

I personally agree that Bowen deserved it this year. Many other Piston fans stated the same in various threads here. But it is not so ridiculious that Ben won.

Unfortunatly, the voters do not see all the games. I dare say members of this board watch and know more about basketball than the voters. They rely on ESPN's sportcenter, and published boxscores. They do not grasp what Bowen does night by night. Likewise though, people think Ben ONLY blocks and rebounds. He IS our defensive scheme, just as Bowen is yours. Most of what Ben does not show up on a boxscore. Also, arguments of Ben can't guard a guard, while Bowen can guard a 7 footer, is just plain stupid. They are different players at different positions, playing defense in a different way. Ben is a help side defender. Bowen is a man to man defender. Saying Ben doesn't guard the quality of player that Bowen does is silly. They defend and guard in a different manner. Bens' job is not to shut down a player, but to close down an area. Bowen is supposed to stick to his man, deny the ball, then force him into bad shots. It's apple and oranges.

Ben's #'s were down. Parlty age? partly being used differently by Flip? I thought it was Bowens year. If not now, when? To me, saying that Bowen will finish his career NEVER winning a DPOY is just as silly as Nash being a 2 time back-to-back League MVP. It sucks, and they got it wrong. But that doesn't mean Ben is a pice of shit defender.

I suppose many are just venting frustrations, and I shouldn't read too much into it. I know you're mad your boy, once again, didn't get the respect he deserves...but don't turn that into hate on Bens game.

Not fucking true. He's a worthy candidate every year, but give it a fucking REST. He's got a fucking shelf full of them already.

I congratulated Ben on his first THREE awards. I'll be damned if I do on this one. If that's poor sportsmanship, then so be it.

SAGambler
05-07-2006, 05:34 PM
No, it's not ridiculous that Ben won, but I just didn't think he had quite as good a year this year as last....

I think Bowen just doesn't get the credit for the job he does, because he isn't under the basket all the time to get blocks.

Actually, Ben would have been my second choice this year....

But, I'm sure Bruce will relish the trophy more than the DPOY award....

Dunc
05-07-2006, 05:37 PM

Did guard Dirk and shut him down at the Palace on March 28th. Arguably the stops he got off Dirk won that game for the Pistons.

Dunc
05-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Complete and utter bullshit. Can someone send them the video of today's second half? You know, the second half where a supposed MVP candidate gets shut the fuck down?

Would that have been LeBron? So... Tayshaun Prince is DPOY? that's awesome.

exstatic
05-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Would that have been LeBron? So... Tayshaun Prince is DPOY? that's awesome.

Hey dumbfuck: you're in a Spurs forum. When we say "today's game" assume we're NOT talking Pistons ball.

05-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Bowen showed today why he deserves DPOY. This just proves that the people who get to vote don't actually watch basketball. Bowen guarding Dirk so effectively, to say nothing of how he guards the Kobe Bryants of the league (high scoring guards) is so much more impressive than ANYTHING BEN WALLACE HAS EVER DONE IN HIS ENTIRE F-ING CAREER.

This is bullshit. I really thought this was the year the committee pulled their heads out of their asses and gave it to Bowen. Apparently not.

His entire career? By far, the dumbest take I've read on here in a long time.

Congrats!

texbumTHElife
05-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Just for shits and giggles someone should make a list.

In one column put the players Ben Wallace has had to guard this season. In another column put the players Bruce has had to guard. In both columns put the players season averages vs. their averages versus Ben and Bruce.

In my opinion this is a travesty. Bruce has to guard the best scorers in the league game in and game out and is incredibely effective. Ben Wallace has to guard ONE dominate post player with any regularity, Shaq, and gets owned msot of the time in doing it. Hell, didnt Dwight Howard have better numbers than Wallace in defensive categories (blocks, rebounds) this season? Oh and for the love of god ESPN and TNT noone gives two left nuts about how many steals he gets. Let alone having to hear about it 6 times in one game. The Pistons are a fantastic defensive team but Bruce is a far superior individual defender.

Das Texan
05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Bowen will feel fine when he wins another ring in June.

So true.

he still got the big ole snub. Bruce is the most versatile defender in the league by a wide margin and generally succeeds at any assignment given to him.

While you can argue the effectiveness of some of the other great defenders, you cannot argue their versatility when put up against Bruce.

samikeyp
05-07-2006, 05:50 PM
I would have liked to see Bowen win it but Big Ben is never a bad choice. Congrats.

Dunc
05-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey dumbfuck: you're in a Spurs forum. When we say "today's game" assume we're NOT talking Pistons ball.

Um, no. We're talking DPOY, not Pistons ball. Anyway, just a little sarcastic humour from me. You seem sensitive, so I apologize.:)

RON ARTEST
05-07-2006, 06:12 PM
wow bowen will never win it. :lol ARTEST is a better defender anyway. he will win it next year trust me. ben wallace deserved it.didnt he have like 5 or 6 blocks today?

Dunc
05-07-2006, 06:12 PM
wow bowen will never win it. :lol ARTEST is a better defender anyway. he will win it next year trust me. ben wallace deserved it.didnt he have like 5 or 6 blocks today?

RON ARTEST
05-07-2006, 06:14 PM
damn he never allows layups does he? and prince should have been a fucking all star. he plays awesome in the playoffs.

MI21
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
This thread title is misleading.

I thought the best Piston defender, Rasheed Wallace, had finally got some recognition.

:)

JamStone
05-07-2006, 06:25 PM
1. I thought Bruce would get the DPOY award this year and is very deserving. That doesn't mean that I think Ben Wallace DOES NOT deserve it. I thought voters would look to vote for someone else since Ben has won it three times already.

2. If your argument is that Ben Wallace did not have as good a season as last year or other previous years he's won the DPOY, it's a poor argument. The DPOY award is based on the current regular season, not based in comparison to a player's previous seasons. Ben is judged against the rest of the NBA in 2005-06, not against himself and the stats he's put up in other years. By the way, Ben Wallace was top ten in the league in rebounds, blocks, and steals. Perhaps his numbers are down from previous years, but compared to the rest of the league THIS SEASON, he's still one of the best defenders in the game. You have to compare him to himself to say he's not that good. That's just not how regular season awards are voted, nor should it be.

3. Ben has guarded Dirk Nowitzki for long stretches and has done extremely well against him. Ben frequently switches on smaller guards and does reasonably well. But saying Bruce can guard Bibby and ask if Ben could do that is just outrageous. Could Bruce Bowen guard Shaquille O'Neal or Yao Ming? Well Ben can. What's the point in asking if Ben can guard both Dirk and Bibby. Regardless, I don't think Ben would do a bad job at all on Bibby. TODAY, Ben guarded LeBron James for long stretches in the second quarter and except for one 3-pointer, LeBron was neutralized by Ben Wallace.

Something to think about ...

exstatic
05-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Regardless, I don't think Ben would do a bad job at all on Bibby.

You had me right up until this. No fucking way Ben doesn't get crossed over and spun around and made to look like a fool.

FreshPrince22
05-07-2006, 06:36 PM
http://www.2ndstaff.com/images/bluesky/Kleenex.jpg

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Ben Wallace is awesome. While I was rooting for Bruce, at least Ben is deserving of the award, unlike certain MVPs.

exstatic
05-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Ron Artest will never win another individual award. He's toxicity to the NBA, incarnate.

exstatic
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.2ndstaff.com/images/bluesky/Kleenex.jpg
Keep that. You'll need it in a matter of weeks, trick ass.

FreshPrince22
05-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Keep that. You'll need it in a matter of weeks, trick ass.

Yea, we'll need them to wipe up all the Spurs tears in the visitors locker room at the Palace. :spin

Brutalis
05-07-2006, 07:18 PM
So we got robbed again, but who is honestly even surprised?

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I've said it before: I'll be surprised if Bowen came in second.

anthologyct
05-07-2006, 07:21 PM

I guess you didn't check out Detroit's last game against Dirk when Ben shut him down in crunch time.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2006, 07:24 PM
It's an insult to Bowen, because Bowen is an amazingly hard worker, and takes pride in his specialist status...At least Ben has a similar background in his game, so it's not bad that he got it, and not someone like Artest..

Oh well, it doesn't validate Bowen's talents anyway, the people who voted are easily swayed by "reputation" and Bowen's rep as dirty is sketchy in their eyes.

Anyone know if Pop threw in a comment about Bowen being jipped again, in support of his guy?

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Anyone know if Pop threw in a comment about Bowen being jipped again, in support of his guy?
I doubt anyone in the Spurs organization thinks that Ben is somehow underserving of the award.

sghspurs
05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
screw the stupid nba....Bruce does his thing night in and night out and it is so rare to find a guy who works as hard and takes pride in going up against the best perimeter players in the world as Bruce Bowen. The guy should be rewarded for his awesome defense and work ethic.

Its so rare to have a player like Bowen. when he's gone its going to be impossible to replace him and the spurs won't be same after that. ben wallace is a great defensive player and deserves a lot of credit for his work as well but defensive big men that block shots and rebound and play good all around D are more common than guys like bruce who can gaurd 4 positions on the floor. Shit I wish he would have won it. hopefully this just motivates him more and he takes it out on dirk for the rest of the series.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Ben does his thing night in and night out and it is so rare to find a guy who works as hard and takes pride in going up against the best players in the world as Ben Wallace. The guy should be rewarded for his awesome defense and work ethic.

Its so rare to have a player like Wallace. when he's gone its going to be impossible to replace him and the pistons won't be same after that. bruce bowen is a great defensive player and deserves a lot of credit for his work as well but perimiter defenders that play good all around D are more common than guys like ben who can block shots and rebound and gaurd 4 positions on the floor.

Your original post might be right, but the above reads pretty convincingly too.

FreshPrince22
05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Your original post might be right, but the above reads pretty convincingly too.

Exactly...

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Exactly...
Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous that Bruce hasn't won the fucking award yet, but I don't want to take it out on Ben, because he's a heck of a player. The voters are lazy, but what voters aren't?

baseline bum
05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Fucking candy ass, lazy ass voting is what it comes down to. Jackass voters aren't even watching the games, just checking the first name that comes to mind on defense.

Ben won this award off his reputation the last couple of years, not on what he did on the court this year - Bowen was better. This award should have an asterick next to it.

Ben Wallace - Defensive Player of the Year*

* voted on by a pack of dipshits who didn't even watch the games

Same thing happened with Mutombo. Don't tell me he was better than Mourning all those years.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Same thing happened with Mutombo. Don't tell me he was better than Mourning all those years.
And Mark Eaton. The guy had mobility that made Rasho look like a ballerina, but because he stayed in one place a blocked a lot of shots = defensive player of the year.

It's also a crime that DRob only won it once. Robinson was probably the second-best defensive center of all time.

Spurs Dynasty
05-07-2006, 08:28 PM

I dont think anyone here is saying it is ridiculous that Ben Wallace won, he deserved a nomination and is a fine defensive player....but it is complete bullshit that Bowen DIDN'T win - if you get my meaning.

He has been screwed year in and year out by the voting dolts. I agree with your acessment that they probobly don't have the opportunity to see what Bowen does game after game to the superstars of the NBA.

If Bowen got his due from the media things might be different but Bowen along with the rest of the team get no respect from the national media and it completely boggles my mind.

shelshor
05-07-2006, 08:51 PM

This is bullshit. Wallace is good, but he's not good enough to win almost every fucking year. :tu :tu

LilMissSPURfect
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
:shootme :shootme :shootme :shootme :shootme :shootme :flipoff :flipoff :flipoff :bang :cuss :cuss :flag: :nutkick:

Rummpd
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17275.shtml

My response to this BS

ObiwanGinobili
05-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I have moved my outrage about this to my own blog:
http://basketballcommentary.blogspot.com/

Comments are definitely wanted. But I feel like for the most part, ranting about this here is preaching to the choir. Most people here understand how Bowen was robbed - AGAIN. My only solace is that Bowen could give a shit about this, and DPOY doesn't mean shit. Only titles do. Bowen's still got the edge on Wallace on that one.

Supergirl - awesome blog :tu :tu

I would leave a coment but I'm not going to sign up for blogwhateveritis.com just top leave one comment.

kudos :fro

LilMissSPURfect
05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.firekite.com/store/misc/pics/forum19/bullshit.jpg
http://hinessight.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/pure_bullshit_1.jpg

SlasherX
05-07-2006, 11:11 PM
They had to give detroit some kind of award for a great regular season. Ben is a best team defensive player no one can change a game defensively like ben, althougt bruce deserves it too but if its ben over bruce should be able to live with that.

leemajors
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
http://www.firekite.com/store/misc/pics/forum19/bullshit.jpg
http://hinessight.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/pure_bullshit_1.jpg

no, that's david cross! i guess everyone has to whine about this because bruce won't? we have a series to play here.

yavozerb
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
WOW, DPOY..............Who gives a damn.......Nobody could guard anybody one on one in the NBA!!!!Thats why you have 4 other guys helping one another...

Vinnie_Johnson
05-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Props to Bowen he is a top defender they should split the award IMO.

samikeyp
05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
^^^I'd go for that.

Kori Ellis
05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Congrats to Ben, I guess. :flipoff

:lmao

Just kidding. I don't think he deserved it over Bowen, but I can't exactly be mad at that guy. He's a very hard worker and, by all accounts, a good guy. You can't hate on him just because the voters don't watch Spurs games.

SequSpur
05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Bowen needs to lead the league or at least be in the top 5 of something before he is considered as the best at something.

He's not the DPOY, I don't think Ben Wallace is either.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Bowen needs to lead the league or at least be in the top 5 of something before he is considered as the best at something.

He's not the DPOY, I don't think Ben Wallace is either.

Who would you pick if you had a vote?

Darrin
05-08-2006, 12:03 AM

That's wrong. He pressures the ball in the backcourt, and does that mean Brad Miller is bring the ball up the floor? The Pistons are able to switch on screen-and-rolls because he can stand out of the perimeter and guard swingmen, even if it's only for 5 seconds or so before the team rotates him back into the paint. That five seconds can mean the difference between a great defensive sequence or a poor one. And I have one name for you: Kwame Brown. Watch him switch on a screen-roll with Steve Nash and you'll see a guy who picks up a foul or the team defense breaks down. Where Wallace gets most of his steals is in the high post because he plays the handoff on the pick-and-pop. One of his most infamous plays is stealing the ball as Payton comes around a screen. he precedes to dribble end to end and sky for a throw-down slam.

While it may sound ridiculous, there is a reason why Boston tried to make him a small forward. It's not that he can play the positions (which is why I think a comment like this is unfair). But he has the physical skills to make the team defense better tenfold by doing the little things. He would've been a Hall-of-Fame defensive lineman if he had chosen to pursue football in college.

05-08-2006, 12:10 AM
No use use trying to sway Spur fan. Those who really know basketball appreciate all the little things he does on both ends to help the Pistons win games. Saying all he does is stand in the paint, like Shaq, shows you are guilty of the same thing you lament the voters for: not watching the games. And the talk of Manu being a better "real" defender is laughable(blog)...

Most Spurs fans see nothing wrong with Ben winning it, just the injustice of BB never having won the award...

timvp
05-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Eh, I don't have a problem with Bowen not winning. He deserves one before he retires, but Ben Wallace ain't no chump. Wallace is a better defender than those centers who won that could only block shots like Zo, Mutombo, etc.

Bowen and BWallace both had to work their way into the league and they've earned what they have now. Besides, Bowen can take out his anger on the basketball court. If he had won, that'd give more incentive to other players to try to light him up.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Eh, I don't have a problem with Bowen not winning. He deserves one before he retires, but Ben Wallace ain't no chump. Wallace is a better defender than those centers who won that could only block shots like Zo, Mutombo, etc.

Bowen and BWallace both had to work their way into the league and they've earned what they have now. Besides, Bowen can take out his anger on the basketball court. If he had won, that'd give more incentive to other players to try to light him up.

Great Post post of the month IMO.

polandprzem
05-08-2006, 12:50 AM
It's an insult to Bowen, because Bowen is an amazingly hard worker, and takes pride in his specialist status...At least Ben has a similar background in his game, so it's not bad that he got it, and not someone like Artest..

Oh well, it doesn't validate Bowen's talents anyway, the people who voted are easily swayed by "reputation" and Bowen's rep as dirty is sketchy in their eyes.

When it will be announced Pop will say his words.

It's an insult to Bowen.
He is working hard and the NBA does not appreciate what he is doing on the floor through all those years. That's just wrong.
last year you could say, ohh okay that's not right but you know it was close.
Now it was not that close and why they didn't gave it to Bruce?

polandprzem
05-08-2006, 12:53 AM

The excact same post you could write a year ago

pwilliam
05-08-2006, 01:04 AM
I hope that Bowen will someday win defensive player of the year award, but he is aging so the possibility is slim. :angel

polandprzem
05-08-2006, 01:06 AM
I hope that Bowen will someday win defensive player of the year award, but he is aging so the possibility is slim. :angel

yea he will be 78 years old

pwilliam
05-08-2006, 01:12 AM
I can't understand why they vote for Ben Wallace every year. Ben Wallace is good but a four-time DPOY? Bowen should have won it at least once or twice. :angel

FreshPrince22
05-08-2006, 01:46 AM
I can't understand why they vote for Ben Wallace every year. Ben Wallace is good but a four-time DPOY? Bowen should have won it at least once or twice. :angel

That's like saying, "The Bulls are good but 6 time Champs? The Jazz should have at least won it once". You're either the best or you're not. Close doesn't count. You don't give the 2nd place guy (though very good in his own right) the award just to "change it up".

Malone/Barkley ran into Jordan for titles. Bowen ran into Ben Wallace for DPOYs.

pwilliam
05-08-2006, 01:59 AM
That's like saying, "The Bulls are good but 6 time Champs? The Jazz should have at least won it once". You're either the best or you're not. Close doesn't count. You don't give the 2nd place guy (though very good in his own right) the award just to "change it up".

Malone/Barkley ran into Jordan for titles. Bowen ran into Ben Wallace for DPOYs.

NBA Titles are not decided by voting, awards are.

Malone is a 2-time MVP because he "stole" one from MJ, when the Bulls won "only" 69 games. It illustrates my point: voters DO vote for the second best in order to "change it up". In Bowen's case, I think he deserves a DPOY award.

pwilliam
05-08-2006, 02:11 AM
I don't think Ben Wallace is a better defender than Bowen. But they are just two types of defender which can't be compared directly. So I am not so sure whether it is fair to give Ben 4 DPOY awards.

toosmallshoes
05-08-2006, 05:07 AM
If Greg Popovich would just grow out some corn-rows, and Tony Parker would release a sex tape with Eva the Spurs would be on TV more often than a McDonald's commercial. Oh yea, and Bowen should help to instigate the most embarrasing event in NBA history like Wallace did. And Artest. I see this bullcrap, and suddenly I'm not so supportive of the "if the Spurs don't win the Championship, at least the Pistons should win it, because they're such a classy franchise", B.S. I'm now reverting back to, "I want the Spurs to win just so the NBA can suck it once again." I think I prefer the seasons where the Spurs win no league awards yet stick it in Howard Stern's side and twist it by winning the Championship. GO SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slomo
05-08-2006, 05:33 AM
BRUCE WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!! :flipoff

That is all!

admack35
05-08-2006, 06:39 AM

You must be talking about how LBJ didnt score a single point in the second half, guarded for a while by none other than Ben Wallace himself.

I admit that Bruce was a very powerful defender and he deserves a lot of credit for his defense this year but I agree with the pick.

jochhejaam
05-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Bruce has to be on the first team all-defense this year and that will be his 6th time selected, 3 times on the first team and 3 times on the second team. If he weren't on the 1st team that would be an insult but it shouldn't be considered an insult to finish with what will most likely be the 2nd highest vote total. IMO.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_defense_by_player.html

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Bowen was jobbed, but Im not complaining.

I think you will find the voting was very close (not that it matters).

Regardless, Ben changes the opposing teams tendencies completely. You might watch alot of Piston games, but not nearly as much as we Piston fans do. How many times is it blatantly obvious the guy shooting a baby-hook adjusted his shot because he knew Ben was around? It happens at least 10x a game. Players are weary of where Big Ben lurks.

So, yeah, I think Bowen deserved his due. I really believe he would win it (and deservedly so). But he didnt. Ben did. Cant say Im too pissed either.

JamStone
05-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Bruce Bowen deserved at least as much consideration as Ben Wallace. But, giving Ben the DPOY in no way means that it was a travesty. Bruce Bowen shuts down individual players. Ben Wallace shuts down entire teams.

Top ten in the league in blocks, steals, and rebounds.

Bruce makes a player change the way he plays. Bne makes entire offenses change their entire schemes.

I think Bruce deserved it this year. But, there's no way you can sincerely say Ben doesn't deserve it, even compared to Bruce, if you view it objectively.

Oh, and Spurs fans say that Bruce Bowen is the hardest worker don't know enough about Ben Wallace. Something that subjective is hard to measure. But, there is plenty of opinions that no one works harder than Ben Wallace on and off the court.

Rummpd
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Something that subjective is hard to measure. But, there is plenty of opinions that no one works harder than Ben Wallace on and off the court.

Does that include not going back into the game recently?[U][I]

It is far harder to guard a perimeter player with the new rules, period and BB is the best.

Bowen was robbed end of story, and 2nd should have been Duncan and 3rd either Artest or Mourning. Wallace should have been 4-6. Team defense was down by Detroit and Wallace is big part of that.

Chew on that one Pistons homers = in the paint Duncan is and has been as good as defender as Wallace all year long. ESPN insider has had several articles stating correctly Duncan NOT Wallace is better interior defender.
Plus Mourning and Camby at times this year outplayed Wallace in the paint.

This voting is a joke, end of story.
Duncan may not be a "showy" but is every bit as good if not better than Wallace and has been for years.

By the way, Shaq will eat Wallace alive in next round! (Had his way with him last year and if Wade not hurt, adios,Pistons)

SA210
05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Everyone,
Signs at next game on Tuesday:

"BRUCE, You're our REAL DPOY!"

JamStone
05-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Bowen was robbed end of story, and 2nd should have been Duncan.

Chew on that one Pistons homers = in the paint Duncan is and has been as good as defender as Wallace all year long. ESPN insider has had several articles stating correctly Duncan NOT Wallace is better interior defender.
Plus Mourning and Camby at times this year outplayed Wallace in the paint.

This voting is a joke, end of story.
Duncan may not be a "showy" but is every bit as good if not better than Wallace and has been for years.

By the way, Shaq will eat Wallace alive in next round! (Had his way with him last year and if Wade not hurt, adios,Pistons)

So one instance of Ben not being a team player means he doesn't work hard? Kicking an opposing player in the back, getting a technical, and then subsequently getting lit up by that player to lose the game ... well, let's just say every player has his moments. Stop hating.

Duncan AT TIMES is a better interior defender than Ben Wallace. That is only arguable at best. Ben Wallace is better ALL AROUND defender than Tim Duncan. Ben is more mobile. Ben plays the pick-and-roll better. Ben is more active in getting steals. Ben is a better shot blocker than Duncan. Ben is a better weakside defender. Even if it's true that Duncan is a better interior defender than Ben, that's only one aspect of defense that Duncan is only arguably better than Ben. Refocus, Rummpd. Your argument stinks. Just like your first round game 3 playoff predictions.

And, talking about Camby and Mourning outplaying Ben is no surprise. You probably look at blocked shots and use that to make a conclusion. Just like Bruce's intangibles aren't always taken into consideration, you fail to recognize how many deflections a game Ben makes that don't end up on the stat sheet. Or, the number of altered shots that don't end up being blocks. Or, a step in front cut off to force a player to not go all the way to the rack or pass it out.

Rummpd, you are as short-sighted as the voters you criticize.

Thankfully, your opinions don't matter. And, quite honestly, often times you were overtly wrong.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Teammate Rasheed Wallace became animated and extremely vocal in his mock surprise when asked about Wallace's fourth defensive player of the year award.

"They gave that #$$@ to him again?" Rasheed Wallace said, loud enough so that Ben Wallace could hear as he exited the locker room. "Ah, dog, that's felonious. It's felonious. Fe-lone-e-us. He was not even in my top three. Honestly, they only gave it to him because we the Pistons."

Ben walked past, shook his head and said, "With guys like that in your corner ..."

That last line by Sheed is classic

ftech
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Bowen Shouldve Won Defensive Not Wllace There Just Haters Out There I Hope Bowen And The Spurs Prove A Point

Go Spurs Go Win Or Lose I Still Love My Spurs

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 10:26 AM
This post delivers.

/sarcasm

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 10:28 AM
So one instance of Ben not being a team player means he doesn't work hard? Kicking an opposing player in the back, getting a technical, and then subsequently getting lit up by that player to lose the game ... well, let's just say every player has his moments. Stop hating.

Duncan AT TIMES is a better interior defender than Ben Wallace. That is only arguable at best. Ben Wallace is better ALL AROUND defender than Tim Duncan. Ben is more mobile. Ben plays the pick-and-roll better. Ben is more active in getting steals. Ben is a better shot blocker than Duncan. Ben is a better weakside defender. Even if it's true that Duncan is a better interior defender than Ben, that's only one aspect of defense that Duncan is only arguably better than Ben. Refocus, Rummpd. Your argument stinks. Just like your first round game 3 playoff predictions.

And, talking about Camby and Mourning outplaying Ben is no surprise. You probably look at blocked shots and use that to make a conclusion. Just like Bruce's intangibles aren't always taken into consideration, you fail to recognize how many deflections a game Ben makes that don't end up on the stat sheet. Or, the number of altered shots that don't end up being blocks. Or, a step in front cut off to force a player to not go all the way to the rack or pass it out.

Rummpd, you are as short-sighted as the voters you criticize.

Thankfully, your opinions don't matter. And, quite honestly, often times you were overtly wrong.

:tu

Did he say WE were being homers? Because that post was dripping with homerism.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Did we actually have to start a brand new thread for this, newbie?

Dunc
05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
DPOF? What's that, Defensive Player of Forever?

Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Bowen Shouldve Won Defensive Not Wllace There Just Haters Out There I Hope Bowen And The Spurs Prove A Point

Post of the year :lol

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Da Pinnacle of Finese?

SA210
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Everyone,

~Sweetmelody~
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Everyone,

That would Rock! :elephant

Darrin
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Big Ben is valuable and the fans on this site are well aware of that. I think a lot of the criticism is misplaced anger for Bowen never being recognized. That's an emotional response that is natural and understood, but one that I think leaves it unclear how much convincing can be done of Ben Wallace deserving this award.

That being said, Wallace just had one of his most important seasons for the Pistons. If I had to rank his defensive impact in terms of his seasons in Detroit, this is right behind 2001-02 and 2003-04. If there were an argument to be made he didn't deserve to win this award, it was last season. I'd rank that as the worst year for this team. He never seemed like himself on the basketball court.

This has been my favorite year watching him. He's smarter than he used to be. He doesn't play to the crowd like he used to. There was no one smiling bigger when talking about Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton making the All-Star Game. He's blown his top when the team has left him on a defensive island, something he never did in previous seasons.

And if you're looking for stats...
- He's was top-ten in the 3 major defensive catergories (4th in rebounds, 9th in blocks, 10th in steals).
- He was number one in the league in offensive rebounds (301).
- He set a career-high in steals (146).
- Surpassed 7,000 career rebounds (7,479 - 65th all-time)
- Surpassed 1,500 career blocks (1,600 - 24th all-time).

Side-note: This has nothing to do with this post. But since I was cruching the numbers, I thought perhaps some of you would like to know that Tim Duncan is 52nd in all-time rebounding (8,020). He's also 20th in blocked shots (1,690).

dmac
05-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Everyone,

"BRUCE, You're our REAL DPOF!"

thispego
05-08-2006, 11:47 AM

god i hate some spurs fans :depressed

kolko
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/bwallace_060508.html

RON ARTEST
05-08-2006, 12:49 PM
get over it.

admack35
05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Has any player ever been scared to go to the hole because Bruce Bowen was there?
I have seen plenty of players stop & pull up when they see Ben standing there. I really dont see BB as an intimidator like Ben, he is more like a nuisance.

Darrin
05-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Ben Wallace - 420 points (38%)
Bruce Bowen - 308 points (28%)

That's the largest share of the total voting that Bowen has ever received in the years that Ben Wallace has won this thing.

Darrin
05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Has any player ever been scared to go to the hole because Bruce Bowen was there?
I have seen plenty of players stop & pull up when they see Ben standing there. I really dont see BB as an intimidator like Ben, he is more like a nuisance.

They are both great at what their brand of defense requires.

George W Bush
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Everyone,

Sounds like a good idea fella,
but I don't much listen to polls..

ABDENOUR POWER
05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Teammate Rasheed Wallace became animated and extremely vocal in his mock surprise when asked about Wallace's fourth defensive player of the year award.

"They gave that #$$@ to him again?" Rasheed Wallace said, loud enough so that Ben Wallace could hear as he exited the locker room. "Ah, dog, that's felonious. It's felonious. Fe-lone-e-us. He was not even in my top three. Honestly, they only gave it to him because we the Pistons."

Ben walked past, shook his head and said, "With guys like that in your corner ..."

Only Rasheed....

mike detroit
05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Only Rasheed....

phonetically sounding out "felonious" made the whole quote.

Slomo
05-08-2006, 11:43 PM
2005-06 NBA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR RESULTS

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Ben Wallace, Detroit 58 39 13 420
Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 38 33 19 308
Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 12 11 28 121
Ron Artest, Sacramento 6 7 14 65
Marcus Camby, Denver 3 9 13 55
Tim Duncan, San Antonio 3 7 6 42
Shawn Marion, Phoenix - 7 12 33
Alonzo Mourning, Miami 4 2 3 29
Gerald Wallace, Charlotte - 7 6 27
Shane Battier, Memphis - 1 - 3
Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers - 1 - 3
Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia - - 2 2
James Posey, Miami - - 1 1
Raja Bell, Phoenix - - 1 1
P.J. Brown, NOK - - 1 1
Rasheed Wallace, Detroit - - 1 1
Andres Nocioni, Chicago - - 1 1
Eddie Jones, Memphis - - 1 1
Kevin Garnett, Minnesota - - 1 1
Tayshaun Prince, Detroit - - 1 1

Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2006, 11:59 PM
2005-06 NBA DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR RESULTS

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Ben Wallace, Detroit 58 39 13 420
Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 38 33 19 308
Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 12 11 28 121
Ron Artest, Sacramento 6 7 14 65
Marcus Camby, Denver 3 9 13 55
Tim Duncan, San Antonio 3 7 6 42
Shawn Marion, Phoenix - 7 12 33
Alonzo Mourning, Miami 4 2 3 29
Gerald Wallace, Charlotte - 7 6 27
Shane Battier, Memphis - 1 - 3
Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers - 1 - 3
Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia - - 2 2
James Posey, Miami - - 1 1
Raja Bell, Phoenix - - 1 1
P.J. Brown, NOK - - 1 1
Rasheed Wallace, Detroit - - 1 1
Andres Nocioni, Chicago - - 1 1
Eddie Jones, Memphis - - 1 1
Kevin Garnett, Minnesota - - 1 1
Tayshaun Prince, Detroit - - 1 1

Darn that was a close race.

SenorSpur
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
What does Bruce have to do to win this thing? What is the fucking criteria? This award is such a fucking sham. They should simply stop issuing it.

Texas_Ranger
05-09-2006, 08:37 AM
What does Bruce have to do to win this thing? What is the fucking criteria?

Yeah, WHAT THE FUCK HE NEEDS TO DO. THATS A BIG SHIT AWARD !!??:madrun :madrun :pctoss :pctoss :soapbox:

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I would like to talk to the 34 people (of 124, over 1 in 4) who left Bruce totally off their ballots and ask them

WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?

I can see voting Wallace over Bruce. After that the pickings are slim.

carina_gino20
05-09-2006, 10:35 AM
those who voted Ben for DPOY came up with a lazy-ass vote. Bowen has been stellar ALL year. But the fact is,his stats aren't as spectacular as Ben's. Not because he's not as good but because he defends a different territory. So when they vote, they go with the safe and lazy choice.

What does Bruce have to do to win this thing?

that's exactly what i'm thinking. does he have to go petition himself or something before they finally wake up and realize that every night, he goes out there and does about the best job anyone can do in guarding the other team's superstar? :pctoss

FoxMulder
05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
When?
When?
When?
When?
... the League will realize than Bruce (Lee) Bowen is the
DEFENSIVE
PLAYER
of The Entire
NBA
By far in the last 4 seasons?

greywheel
05-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I would like to talk to the 34 people (of 124, over 1 in 4) who left Bruce totally off their ballots and ask them

WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?

I can see voting Wallace over Bruce. After that the pickings are slim.

The only thing that I can think, is that some honestly believe that Bruce plays dirty defense, ie the voters from Seattle.

LilMissSPURfect
05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
imo....i still think it's east vs west.......the just dont SEE it!!

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
The only thing that I can think, is that some honestly believe that Bruce plays dirty defense, ie the voters from Seattle.

Doesn't pretty much EVERYONE outside the city of San Antonio think that Bruce plays dirty defense?

SA210
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Everyone,
Signs at today's game:

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Doesn't pretty much EVERYONE outside the city of San Antonio think that Bruce plays dirty defense?
Yes, just none of them can actually prove it.

SoundTheToll
05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
If Greg Popovich would just grow out some corn-rows, and Tony Parker would release a sex tape with Eva the Spurs would be on TV more often than a McDonald's commercial. Oh yea, and Bowen should help to instigate the most embarrasing event in NBA history like Wallace did. And Artest. I see this bullcrap, and suddenly I'm not so supportive of the "if the Spurs don't win the Championship, at least the Pistons should win it, because they're such a classy franchise", B.S. I'm now reverting back to, "I want the Spurs to win just so the NBA can suck it once again." I think I prefer the seasons where the Spurs win no league awards yet stick it in Howard Stern's side and twist it by winning the Championship. GO SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***Stares at computer screen with mouth open.***

That's 90 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

Seriously that's gotta be the worst composed piece of writing ever.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Why does everyone feel this award is so important?

NCaliSpurs
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Because people here feel that Bruce is an integral part of our very successful team and has never been given as much recognition as he deserves.

Some feel that not giving him the award is somehow a slight, so the award is that much more important.

Sportman
05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Why does everyone feel this award is so important?

Yes, i was thinking the same.............i just want to get the trophy :spin

Darrin
05-09-2006, 07:19 PM
i just want to get the trophy :spin

That's the most intelligent thing said on this subject. This isn't an important trophy this year. It's the first line of a career obituary. It would be nice if people would actually remember Bruce Bowen. In 20 years, I wonder if they will. They don't remember Dennis Johnson the same way they remember Dennis Rodman. That's all this is really about. It's about the league highlighting the best and the brightest this season to give people who didn't or couldn't watch 2005-06, a taste of where we were, who was the best. Besides the playoffs, that's what every award is about. That, and the bonus check.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 07:26 PM
They gave Robinson's award to Mutombo every fricking year just because Deke couldn't play defense. There is some similarity in the situation.