PDA

View Full Version : I've been reading up on random message boards.....

td4mvp21
05-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Most Mavs fans (and some non-Mavs fans) are saying the Mavs couldn't play any worse than they did today, and the Spurs couldn't play any better.

I think neither team played their best. Mavs did play better though, they just couldn't hold on in the fourth quarter. Dirk, Terry, Manu, and Parker all played below their norm.

What do you say?

Deb
05-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I think that is true. Both teams probably weren't at the level they could be. But, when the gut check came, we got it done.

ashbeeigh
05-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Spurs were coming off the series with the Kings, either drained or off the high of series, you pick and the Mavs were either well rested or too rested. Take your pick on each side. So neither team is really in it to win it yet, or so I think.

conqueso
05-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Most Mavs fans (and some non-Mavs fans) are saying the Mavs couldn't play any worse than they did today, and the Spurs couldn't play any better.

I think neither team played their best. Mavs did play better though, they just couldn't hold on in the fourth quarter. Dirk, Terry, Manu, and Parker all played below their norm.

What do you say?

Don't agree with the Mavs fans who say that. I agree that Dirk, Terry, Manu and Parker played below their norm. But Stackhouse played above his norm, as did Duncan (we'll see how many thirty point games he gets in this series from now on). Howard is the key to this series, and if he continues to play solid and gets one of Dirk's typical 27 point games, the Mavs are going to be very tough to beat.

Spurs Dynasty
05-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Dirk was guarded by Bruce Bowen, the REAL defensive player of the year, Bowen always shuts him down.

SPurs were exhausted due to Sterns freaking stupid and insulting schedule for the SPurs from round 1 to round 2

ShoogarBear
Statistically Stackhouse is never going to be any better.

And he'll personally screw up more big plays.

What are they smoking? Outside of Duncan, nobody on the Spurs played especially well.

sprrs
Spurs can play much better. They can knock down their open threes and grab a few more defensive rebounds, not to mention only Timmy had his game going on in the first half.

DubMcDub
05-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Dirk was guarded by Bruce Bowen, the REAL defensive player of the year, Bowen always shuts him down.

Except for when he doesn't.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Spurs beat the Mavs despite having the Spurs in as close to a back to back as you will see in the playoffs. It's hard to find a positive for the Mavs in their loss today. Now the Spurs will have over 48 hours' rest for Game 2 and then 3 full days to prep for Game 3 in Dallas. The Mavs needed this one today badly if they are to win the series.

pking
05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
As a Mavs fan, I'd agree that the Mavs played like shit most of this game. Decent in the first half...just needed to play better D on TD. But overall, especially in the 2nd half, we looked like shit.

However, I know alot of that had to do with the Spurs D. It was great.

And I don't think any Mavs fan is stupid enough to believe that the Spurs played their best game. TD was great, Bowen did a great job on Dirk as usual, but other than that, the Spurs didn't play a flawless game by any means. I doubt anybody would give Dallas' D any credit for that..but whatever :lol

td4mvp21
05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Dallas played good D. I was surprised. But, Mavs fans said this was our best game. Yes, the stupidity is apalling.

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Was it just me or did Tony look a little slower today? Also, Manu took about 2 quarters to get fully warmed up, Bruce got into a bit of foul trouble in the begining, Finley and Barry missed some pretty open 3 point shots. I say the have room to get better.

Mavs, Dirk didn't play as well, but that was becuase of Bowen's awesome defense on him. I believe Dirk only scored something like 2 points in the second half? :wow Harris still managed to do his thing, Stackhouse managed his usual choke job...now all the Spurs need is Van Horn to come back so they can seal the deal :) :lol

Just kidding, both teams have room for improvement, that was a very, very close game...as I expect the next 5 to be.

pking
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Dallas played good D. I was surprised. But, Mavs fans said this was our best game. Yes, the stupidity is apalling.

I haven't seen anybody saying that yet. Duncan, Bowen..yea, good games. Other than that, not so much. Good team defense, a stand out performance from your big guy, a clutch three from Bowen and of course his D on Dirk = Mavs loss.

Hopefully we can come back and take game 2.

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
As a Mavs fan, I'd agree that the Mavs played like shit most of this game. Decent in the first half...just needed to play better D on TD. But overall, especially in the 2nd half, we looked like shit.

And I don't think any Mavs fan is stupid enough to believe that the Spurs played their best game. TD was great, Bowen did a great job on Dirk as usual, but other than that, the Spurs didn't play a flawless game by any means. I doubt anybody would give Dallas' D any credit for that..but whatever :lol

Mavs transition D was very impressive. They also did a pretty decent job keeping Tony and Manu out of the paint. :tu

aaronstampler
05-07-2006, 03:36 PM
We could obviously play better. Everybody but Duncan played like total ass on offense. We couldn't shoot open 3s, we only had 11 assists, our starting backcourt had lots of horrible turnovers and poor decisions, it was like watching our team between '00 and '02.

When Manu and Tony play like their normal selves, we'll probably win by 10-15 points.

Our defense was good though, really sharp. We gave up a few too many offensive rebounds, like we always do, but aside from that we were pretty good. Stackhouse will probably be worse next game, but Terry will be better, so it'll even out. Howard and Dirk did about what I expected they'd do though.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I already said in another thread: that the best D I've ever seen the Mavs sustain for an entire game. Props to them and especially to AJ. :smokin

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:41 PM
:lmao I love watching Avery on the sidelines, bouncing up and down. When Harris made a dumb foul on Manu away from the play, all you see is Avery on the sidelines pulling imaginary hair from his head, screaming, "STOP FOULING!!!!!!"

Slinkyman
05-07-2006, 03:42 PM
If the mavs were going to win a game in SA this was going to be the game, they had rest and should have been ready to take this game. We know how well the spurs play on the 2nd night of a back 2 back and that's pretty much what this was and we still got the win.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 03:44 PM
The Spurs took Game 1 today from their toughest opponent all season: lack of rest.

Supergirl
05-07-2006, 03:45 PM

I don't know where you get that the Mavs played like shit today. They played almost FLAWLESSLY in the first half. They barely turned the ball over - I think officially they had 3.

Stackhouse was making some impossible shots, and Dirk was scoring despite Bowen's stifling D.

Spurs played like shit - they missed wide open 3's and I don't know how many layups and dunks, not to mention FTs. But they managed to grind it out and get the win. Great teams do.

Mavs will make some adjustments, and this will be a tough series. But I think this game sets a tone for the series - Mavs aren't going to go easily, but the Spurs are the better team.

Spurologist
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
:lmao I love watching Avery on the sidelines, bouncing up and down. When Harris made a dumb foul on Manu away from the play, all you see is Avery on the sidelines pulling imaginary hair from his head, screaming, "STOP FOULING!!!!!!"

:lol the little general can be funny

http://sportserver.nandomedia.com/images/gallery/basketball/nba/20050510/pho0305.0.jpg

1Parker1
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
:lol the little general can be funny

http://sportserver.nandomedia.com/images/gallery/basketball/nba/20050510/pho0305.0.jpg

:lmao I'm just waiting for that to happen this series.

T Park
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
And I don't think any Mavs fan is stupid enough to believe that the Spurs played their best game. TD was great, Bowen did a great job on Dirk as usual, but other than that, the Spurs didn't play a flawless game by any means. I doubt anybody would give Dallas' D any credit for that..but whatever

The Dallas D was good, but, its trouble is dribble penetration.

Ginobili was able to get to the hole quite easily as was Parker.

They just didn't have the legs today to finish.

Those legs will be back by game 2.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-07-2006, 04:01 PM
They just didn't have the legs today to finish.

Those legs will be back by game 2.
Word about the Legs...

but how the hell do these guys think that Spurs played their best game to eek out the win against the Dallas Mavs who couldn't play any worse? :lol

They both were off tonight, I think they were feeling each other out at best.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Hmmm...well, they might've played their best game coming off 36 hours of rest, I guess.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't know about the fans, but I sure hope the Mavericks believe that they saw the Spurs' best game today. IMO this was Dallas' best chance for a steal.