PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts on Game 1

MannyIsGod
05-07-2006, 03:54 PM
-Spurs fans, look at your tickets. They have a time on there. Show up before that damn time and be ready to go. Empty seats make me puke and I don't like puking.

-Spurs fans, fuck Arco arena, the AT&T is the loudest place in the leauge.

-Bruce Bowen is flat out incredible. Dirk will have to ask Bruce permission next time he wants to even think about scoring because thats how much Bowen has him on lockdown with absolutely no chance of parole.

-Dallas had one chance to steal one and it clanged off the rim like a Jerry Stackhouse jumper. The Spurs looked lethargic at times and the Mavs were coming off of 4 days of rest and they still coudln't get it done. How do they expect to win the next game?

-Duncan is the MVP. I don't care what Kobe, Lebron, or Nash do because Duncan will just post them up and score on them like little bitches.

-Don't even mention Dirk for MVP. He has to ask permission from Bowen before he's allowed to win any awards.

-How in the hell did Jerry Stackhouse manage to finish 10/21 from the field? The man was on fire early but still managed to take enough bard shots to shoot under 50% for the game. Thats just horrible.

-The rest of the leauge should be afraid if they saw the 2nd half today. That was shutdown basketball at its finest. That was Spurs championship basketball. When the Spurs play that kind of D, not even Detroit will beat them. Its fucking ON.

ducks
05-07-2006, 03:57 PM
nice post

oh when nve plays more then 10 minutes the spurs are 4-0

ShoogarBear
05-07-2006, 03:57 PM
When the AT&T actually sounds loud on TV, you know it must be rocking.

On the last play, Stack had the baseline and Dampier had Duncan sealed. I say, for the 78th time, what a dumbshit.

If Dirk even dreams about scoring, he better wake up and apologize to Bruce.

pking
05-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Ah, I'll give all the credit in the world to Bruce Bowen for doing a great job on Dirk but you guys are acting like the guy scored 6 points on 3 of 25 shooting.

NCaliSpurs
05-07-2006, 04:00 PM
The crowd must be getting up for a great Dallas team.

I wish I could be there!

T Park
05-07-2006, 04:02 PM
He has to ask permission from Bowen before he's allowed to win any awards.

:lol

The rest of the leauge should be afraid if they saw the 2nd half today. That was shutdown basketball at its finest. That was Spurs championship basketball. When the Spurs play that kind of D, not even Detroit will beat them. Its fucking ON.

Exactly right.

I'll give all the credit in the world to Bruce Bowen for doing a great job on Dirk but you guys are acting like the guy scored 6 points on 3 of 25 shooting

That guy is your franchise.

ANd when hes taken out of the game in the 4th quarter, like he was?

Thats pathetic.

Bring a skirt to game 2 Dirk, you didn't hit it past the red tees today bitch.

MannyIsGod
05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Ah, I'll give all the credit in the world to Bruce Bowen for doing a great job on Dirk but you guys are acting like the guy scored 6 points on 3 of 25 shooting.You're right. He didn't score only six points. Bruce mearly held him to 7 in the 2nd half and 2 in the fourth.

FUCK. Dirk was on FIRE.

T Park
05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Bruce mearly held him to 7 in the 2nd half and 2 in the fourth

Folks,

thats what we call

BOWNED

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:06 PM
The Spurs' D choked those bitches for the last 4 minutes of the game.

angel_luv
05-07-2006, 04:13 PM
The fans were awesome throughout- except the slackers who were late. :lol (I noticed that too Manny.)

The crowd really was fantastic. I hope all the same people come back Tuesday. :D

DubMcDub
05-07-2006, 04:14 PM
-Don't even mention Dirk for MVP. He has to ask permission from Bowen before he's allowed to win any awards.

You're absolutely right. Dirk will never be successful against Bowen.

It's crazy of the Mavs fans to even think that Dirk could ever had a great game if Bowen's guarding him. He may as well not even try.

Furthermore, how foolish of us to think that the Mavs might ever win a game in SA, and that such a win would come on the heels of a great performance by Dirk. We all know, as you so profoundly assert, that such a thing will never happen--and in fact, has never happened in the past. At least, not as long as Bruce Bowen is alive.

.......http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2006040724

:rolleyes

Shank
05-07-2006, 04:14 PM
And yet the Spurs only won by 2. You talk like it was a blowout.

Mavs win the next 3.

angel_luv
05-07-2006, 04:15 PM
-The rest of the leauge should be afraid if they saw the 2nd half today. That was shutdown basketball at its finest. That was Spurs championship basketball. When the Spurs play that kind of D, not even Detroit will beat them. Its ON.

Word! :fro

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:17 PM

Mavs win the next 3.

Not if they can't capitalize on a situation like today. But, I know, San Antonio has a large Hispanic population.

T Park
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM

Mavs win the next 3.

Win the next 3?

If you think Stackhouse will shoot like that again, your dreamin.

If you think Ginobili will stink like that and Horry and others will miss open shots like thata again, your in for a rude awakening.

FromWayDowntown
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM

Mavs win the next 3.

Probably so. In fact, it will probably be so bad that the Mavs will win that 3rd game and the league will call the series off.

I don't think anyone is acting as though the Spurs accomplished anything significant today. They held serve; but they did it under some pretty adverse circumstances. I think most honest Spurs fans were quite worried about this game, given the quick turn-around from Round 1. I was pleased that the Spurs showed a great deal of heart and a ton of mental toughness. I didn't think the Mavs played very well (though they also didn't appear rusty to me), but I also didn't think the Spurs played very well on the offensive end. It's a long series with a lot of ball to be played, but it's a solid start for the Spurs, which is all we could have asked for.

DubMcDub
05-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Win the next 3?

If you think Stackhouse will shoot like that again, your dreamin.

If you think Ginobili will stink like that and Horry and others will miss open shots like thata again, your in for a rude awakening.

And yet you seem to think Terry and Dirk will shoot as poorly as they did today for the rest of the series?

When the Spurs scorers shoot poorly, it's an anomaly. When the Mavs shooters do, it's somehow a "trend that must continue."

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
And yet you seem to think Terry and Dirk will shoot as poorly as they did today for the rest of the series?

When the Spurs scorers shoot poorly, it's an anomaly. When the Mavs shooters do, it's somehow a "trend that must continue."

Well, when Bowen's on a shooter, that's the case. :smokin

T Park
05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
nd yet you seem to think Terry and Dirk will shoot as poorly as they did today for the rest of the series?

If Parker and Bowen play that kind of defense, yes I expect it to continue.

When Ginobili misses open 10 footers in the lane, yeah, thats an anamoly...

DDS4
05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Probably so. In fact, it will probably be so bad that the Mavs will win that 3rd game and the league will call the series off.

I don't think anyone is acting as though the Spurs accomplished anything significant today. They held serve; but they did it under some pretty adverse circumstances. I think most honest Spurs fans were quite worried about this game, given the quick turn-around from Round 1. I was pleased that the Spurs showed a great deal of heart and a ton of mental toughness. I didn't think the Mavs played very well (though they also didn't appear rusty to me), but I also didn't think the Spurs played very well on the offensive end. It's a long series with a lot of ball to be played, but it's a solid start for the Spurs, which is all we could have asked for.

I was almost resigned to the idea that the Spurs were going to lose game 1. The mental edge and championship defense really showed up in the 4th. And Tim reminded us he's the key to our success.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Everyone, be it Mavs fans, ABC commentators and Spurs fans expected a Mavs' win today. It's not really surprising. Last series, the Spurs' playoff epitaph was already being written.

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:27 PM
If Parker and Bowen play that kind of defense, yes I expect it to continue.

When Ginobili misses open 10 footers in the lane, yeah, thats an anamoly...
Bowen hardly "shuts down" Dirk. Check out the box scores for the other 4 times they faced each other. Yall seem to overlook those stats. One game, he only scores 20, and he is owned. :rolleyes

exstatic
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM

Typical loser Mavs fan mentality. MOST playoff games after the first round are close. It's what separates the winners (us) from the losers (you). Deep playoff series are often decided on the basis of 1-3 shots over the course of a series.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Bowen hardly "shuts down" Dirk. Check out the box scores for the other 4 times they faced each other. Yall seem to overlook those stats. One game, he only scores 20, and he is owned. :rolleyes

I guess he had a cold today.

exstatic
05-07-2006, 04:29 PM

It's when, not how much, and stop looking back on the regular season. That's OVER.

FromWayDowntown
05-07-2006, 04:30 PM

You're right. The 13 points that Dirk had on 3-13 in Dallas was certainly not a night where Bowen affected his game in any manner. Nor did he have any impact on that 6-15 Dirk put up earlier this year in SA.

Wonderful take.

pache100
05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Mavs win the next 3.

Even if that happened? It's not gonna be enough.

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
It's when, not how much, and stop looking back on the regular season. That's OVER.
Funny how the regular season is over, yet those PAST championships continue to be yalls main argument. Yall are hilarious. It is truly a joy to see what kind of comments yall will make next.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Funny how the regular season is over, yet those PAST championships continue to be yalls main argument. Yall are hilarious. It is truly a joy to see what kind of comments yall will make next.

Actually, the main argument was just presented a couple hours ago.

As for the championships, yep, they're still there. Sorry.

Shank
05-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Everyone, be it Mavs fans, ABC commentators and Spurs fans expected a Mavs' win today. It's not really surprising. Last series, the Spurs' playoff epitaph was already being written.

Bullshit. Then why did Vegas have them as 5 point favorites?

You guys are fucking pussies. Boo fucking hoo - "our Spurs are disrespected - pay attention to us, everyone! please look at our team!"

Mavs win the next 3.

picnroll
05-07-2006, 04:33 PM
What's a yall?

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Actually, the main argument was just presented a couple hours ago.

As for the championships, yep, they're still there. Sorry.
Keep the BS coming. I am enjoying it.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Bullshit. Then why did Vegas have them as 5 point favorites?

You guys are fucking pussies. Boo fucking hoo - "our Spurs are disrespected - pay attention to us, everyone! please look at our team!"

Mavs win the next 3.

Weren't the Mavs supposed to win this one according to you?

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Keep the BS coming. I am enjoying it.

Yeah, I guess it's a positive for the Mavs that they couldn't beat a tired ass Spurs team today. Great argument.

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I guess it's a positive for the Mavs that they couldn't beat a tired ass Spurs team today. Great argument.

Keep it coming. Its truly humorous. Not arguing, just want to see what other things you will come up with.

I thought it was a great game today. We didn't execute at the end and that was the difference. I still feel that it will be a long series and it is not over by any stretch of the imagination. I felt like the Mavs were the best team til the end. Yes, thats when it matters most and props to the Spurs for finishing strong. However, yes I take a positive in the fact that we were the better team for the better part of 4 quarters. Just have to finish it next time. Props to the Spurs tho, good game.

pache100
05-07-2006, 04:36 PM
And yet the Spurs only won by 2.

Note to Shank: It only takes **1** point to win.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Speaking of overlooking stats, you might want to check his shooting percentage in those games. It's slightly more significant. Break it down further to just when Bowen was covering Dirk and it becomes even more glaring.

FromWayDowntown
I thought it was a great game today. We didn't execute at the end and that was the difference. I still feel that it will be a long series and it is not over by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree on all things, but I think the Spurs had an awful lot to do with the Mavericks not being able to execute at the end of the game.

That's where all those championships that you want to discount make a difference.

A-Train
Keep it coming. Its truly humorous. Not arguing, just want to see what other things you will come up with.

Only for a Mavs fan would referring to the actual game be considered inappropriate.

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Only for a Mavs fan would referring to the actual game be considered inappropriate.
What are you talking about?

FromWayDowntown
Speaking of overlooking stats, you might want to check his shooting percentage in those games. It's slightly more significant. Break it down further to just when Bowen was covering Dirk and it becomes even more glaring.

Middle games of the regular season series:

3-13 -- 13 points
6-15 -- 23 points (10 free throws)

9-28 (.321)

SpursWoman

Dirk v. Spurs

Game 1, 12-20, 34pts 60% shooting
Game 2, 3-13, 14pts 23% shooting
Game 3, 6-15, 23pts 40% shooting
Game 4, 11-24, 30pts 46% shooting

2005-06 average = 48%

Today: 8-20, 20pts, 40%

You act like he regularly does a Bonzi on the Spurs (:lol) ... when only the first game back in like December he's gotten at least his average.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:40 PM

The actual game. Not the fact that the Spurs have 3 titles and the Mavs have none. Sorry if that gnaws at you.

ShoogarBear
Is that the official MFFL motto?

pache100

"come up with" sounds like you think people here are making up stuff. They are talking about things that actually happened in the game today. And you don't want to hear it. It's just funny. :lol

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:41 PM
I agree on all things, but I think the Spurs had an awful lot to do with the Mavericks not being able to execute at the end of the game.

That's where all those championships that you want to discount make a difference.
Good post. Yeah the spurs locked it down in the 4th. No doubt. I do not want to discount those past championships. The only reason I even bring it up is because whoever it was said to stop looking at the regular season because it was "OVER". Just don't understand why a Mavs fan can't bring up recent past, but the other can. All in all, i respect most of you people and look forward to a great series and good posts.

T Park
05-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Game 2, 3-13, 24pts 23% shooting

23% shooting

OWNED

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:42 PM
No the conversation was about past things. Go back and read it.

Yeah, the game's 2 hours old. Can't bring that up.

Deb
05-07-2006, 04:43 PM
What's a yall?
LOL, think its some kind of boat isn't it? Boat, hell, WE ARE SHIPS. :spin :spin

pache100
05-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Just don't understand why a Mavs fan can't bring up recent past, but the other can. All in all, i respect most of you people and look forward to a great series and good posts.

Because, in the playoffs, the regulation season does not count. It's over. Past championships matter because of playoff experience (or lack thereof in some cases). That's all. I respect you too, and look forward to posting with you throughout the series (and hopefully longer...most of our Kings buddies have evaporated... :depressed ).

Obstructed_View
Middle games of the regular season series:

3-13 -- 13 points
6-15 -- 23 points (10 free throws)

9-28 (.321)
And in the 6 of 15 game, Dirk scored 9 or ten points at the end to make his stat line look respectable.

FromWayDowntown
Game 2, 3-13, 24pts 23% shooting

With all due reverence, SW, I think you had a typo there -- that was 3-13 for 14 points

3-13 FG
1-1 3pt
7-8 FT

Daniels had 24 that night.

pache100
05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Looks like you deleted your post, but this is what I am referring to:

I read it. You're missing the point. But that's ok. :spin

SpursWoman
05-07-2006, 04:49 PM
With all due reverence, SW, I think you had a typo there -- that was 3-13 for 14 points

3-13 FG
1-1 3pt
7-8 FT

Daniels had 24 that night.

Oops, I was just trying to give him more credit than he deserved I suppose. :oops

I fixed it. :lol

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Looks like you deleted your post, but this is what I am referring to:

I read it. You're missing the point. But that's ok. :spin
I deleted it, because I realized I would not win with the team effort from all you spurs fans. I applaud y'all (is that better? can we stop with the ridiculous posts about the word yall? are we not all from texas? its not a foreign term).

You got me on the shooting percentages. It just seems to me that you think Dirk is nothing to worry about. I still do not believe Bowen owns him by any means. I realize this is a Spurs board so it will always be biased, but some realistic posts would be nice to see now and then. If Dirk scores 30 shooting 46%, I don't consider that owned. I see your point on FG% avg tho. Yeah he stunk it up this game and I'll give SOME credit to Bruce. But, I think if y'all believe that will happen in every game, you will probably be wrong.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 04:54 PM
But, I think if y'all believe that will happen in every game, you will probably be wrong.

What's really sad, and what's really telling, is the fact that you have to use the word "probably" when referring to your MVP candidate superstar. It seems logical that an MVP caliber player wouldn't allow that to happen in any game, let alone every game.

Reggie Miller
05-07-2006, 04:55 PM
If you are a Mavericks' fan, I don't see how you can take anything positive out of this loss. Either the Spurs completely owned your team in the 3 minutes that counted, OR your team completely melted down.

Nowitzki could have lowered his shoulder and gone to the line for either two FTs or a +1. Stackhouse could have taken a relatively high % 2, but tries for an impossible 3 with Ginobili in front of him, beside him, and in back of him all at the same time. I'm not dissing the Mavs; this is the real WCF right here. However, this was not a "good loss" (assuming such a thing even exists).

The refs suddenly stopped making ticky-tacky calls in the 2nd half, which favored the Spurs. My main concern for the Spurs, as always, is that they seem to rely on an extra gear a little too often. That is, they sometimes act as if they don't need to play hard for 48 minutes. I don't like to see them develop (probably more like reinforce) bad habits. I'm not saying that the Spurs were duffing it today. However, last year's Finals were closer than they needed to be, and the Pistons would have game 7 at home this time...

LB7
05-07-2006, 04:58 PM
What's really sad, and what's really telling, is the fact that you have to use the word "probably" when referring to your MVP candidate superstar. It seems logical that an MVP caliber player wouldn't allow that to happen in any game, let alone every game.
Unlike many people here, I don't count my chickens before they hatch. You will never see me predict a score, a team's performance or a players. I am way superstitious and I hate to jinx.

I get your point that an MVP caliber player shouldn't let that happen, but you won't see me predicting as if I KNOW what is going to happen.

And Reggie, you can always try to take something positive out of every game. I've seen spurs fans still optimistic after a loss as well as those who want to fire every player. I choose to be one of the type who takes a positive away from it. Thats fine that you feel that way. BTW, Dirk did drive to the hoop on the play before, was clobbered (may or may not have been fouled), and got no call. He went hard. Shoulda done it on the last play, agreed, but thats how it goes and off to game 2 on Tuesday.

SAGambler
05-07-2006, 05:03 PM
If you are a Mavericks' fan, I don't see how you can take anything positive out of this loss. Either the Spurs completely owned your team in the 3 minutes that counted, OR your team completely melted down..

I was one of those Spurs fans that was saying "If only they can gut out this one", so, yeah, I had my doubts about today.

Like you say, this was there for the Mavs to take, and I don't see how they take one positive thing away from this loss. I feel much better about the series now. With some time to rest, I look for the Spurs to start lighting them up Tuesday.

But as usual the D made the series. The Spurs clamped down with the D on the Kings and now their D won this game....

I only see it getting better for the Spurs from here on in.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

T Park
05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Dirk did drive to the hoop on the play before, was clobbered

as was Parker and Ginobili too.

pache100
05-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I applaud y'all (is that better? can we stop with the ridiculous posts about the word yall? are we not all from texas? its not a foreign term).

I didn't say anything about you using "ya'll". That's a word I use a lot (being a displaced Georgian in Texas - I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could). It ain't a bad word nor a foreign term. :angel

LB7
05-07-2006, 05:12 PM
as was Parker and Ginobili too.
Parker maybe. Ginobili double clutched and lost control of the ball going up. Besides, that wasn't the argument. I was saying Dirk did try to drive hard and draw a foul and it didn't work. Never said the spurs didn't either.

LB7
05-07-2006, 05:13 PM
I didn't say anything about you using "ya'll". That's a word I use a lot (being a displaced Georgian in Texas - I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could). It ain't a bad word nor a foreign term. :angel
I was talking about on the page before. Wasn't you. That was directed at the two posters who were talking about it. Something about boats or something, it was quite dumb.

ALVAREZ6
05-07-2006, 05:15 PM
random thoughts....

NVE sucks

TD is great

Manu needs to step up on offense

Kori Ellis
05-07-2006, 05:16 PM
If I was a Mavs fan, I'd be damn worried. Parker and Ginobili were obviously tired as hell but still had decent/good games. Dirk had some baskets in the first half when Bruce was on the bench in foul trouble, but Bowen simply owned him in the second half. And TimVP (not my timvp but TimmyD) has obviously come to play.

Stackhouse played out of his mind. He'll probably shoot 2-for-18 next game.

duncan2k5
05-07-2006, 05:21 PM
i thought that last dirk drive was a foul too, but in the replay he just double pumped and forced up a bad shot...thats why he didnt even look at the refs...

J.T.
05-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Great game, Spurs came ready to play and played with the heart of a champion. Not only did we get to bitchsmack Cuban and Avery, but the league for trying to joust HCA away from us with their bullshit scheduling. Eat crow, Stern. If I am the Mavs, I have a lot to worry about because I just got outplayed in the 2nd half by a team that just finished a physical series less than 48 hours ago. Tim rocked, he exploited the mismatch and dominated. If we get that kind of play from him for the rest of the playoffs, then we will be unstoppable. Plantar Fasciitis? Please.

LB7
05-07-2006, 05:28 PM
If I was a Mavs fan, I'd be damn worried. Parker and Ginobili were obviously tired as hell but still had decent/good games. Dirk had some baskets in the first half when Bruce was on the bench in foul trouble, but Bowen simply owned him in the second half. And TimVP (not my timvp but TimmyD) has obviously come to play.

Thats fine. Terry and Dirk both had off nights shooting. They can take up the slack.

Kori Ellis
05-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Thats fine. Terry and Dirk both had off nights shooting. They can take up the slack.

No, Terry and Dirk were defended well.

There's a difference between an off night and being owned by your defender.

Hook Dem
05-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Unlike many people here, I don't count my chickens before they hatch. You will never see me predict a score, a team's performance or a players. I am way superstitious and I hate to jinx.

I get your point that an MVP caliber player shouldn't let that happen, but you won't see me predicting as if I KNOW what is going to happen.

And Reggie, you can always try to take something positive out of every game. I've seen spurs fans still optimistic after a loss as well as those who want to fire every player. I choose to be one of the type who takes a positive away from it. Thats fine that you feel that way. BTW, Dirk did drive to the hoop on the play before, was clobbered (may or may not have been fouled), and got no call. He went hard. Shoulda done it on the last play, agreed, but thats how it goes and off to game 2 on Tuesday.
See if you can find your buddy on here and talk some sense into him ! Mavs win the next three??????? :lol :lol

LB7
05-07-2006, 05:34 PM
No, Terry and Dirk were defended well.

There's a difference between an off night and being owned by your defender.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Terry missed quite a few layups and open short shots. Dirk had quite a few good looks as well.

And Terry pretty much got to the hole when he wanted. Didn't always finish but had plenty of chances.

LB7
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
See if you can find your buddy on here and talk some sense into him ! Mavs win the next three??????? :lol :lol
Yeah I definitely wouldn't make such a prediction. The spurs might hold serve, and they should. I hope we can steal one because I would hate to go back to the AAC down 2-0. Anything is possible and it should still be a great series. The east is just flat boring right now.

Das Texan
05-07-2006, 05:41 PM
The Spurs were sluggish at times today. Especially on offense, relying way too much on Timmy in the first half (which isnt necesarilly bad)

Their defense also was a bit shaky at times, especially in the first half, but by and large in the second half the only easy buckets the Mavs got came off Spur turnovers.

Half court defense looked rock solid.

I expect to see better offensive production in Game 2 with some additional rest and for the defense to continue being rock solid.

I think the foot problems Timmy had for most of the year are slowly leaving if not pretty much gone. We have seen that throughout much of April and its quite evident.

Manu needs to find his shot from outside though, I dont know where it went today but it was horrible. But that pretty much goes for everyone today.

Das Texan
05-07-2006, 05:44 PM

That is the biggest key Kori. If Timmy is playing like the real Timmy at 100% strength or very close to it, it doesnt matter what team we play.

If he regains that confidence in the bank, then he can pop that little J anywhere from the elbows to near baseline with deadly accuracy.

And I think its all slowly coming together for Timmy. Awesome sign.

Reggie Miller
05-07-2006, 05:47 PM
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Terry missed quite a few layups and open short shots. Dirk had quite a few good looks as well.

Looking back, Terry was terrible. He doesn't take (and miss) those twelve shots, and the Mavs probably win this game. Some of it was the Spurs' D, but again, blown layups, etc. More importantly, the Dallas guards didn't distribute the ball well over the course of the game. As Shoogar Bear pointed out, (Mora voice on) "TWO ASSISTS... IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!" (Mora voice off). AJ may be able to kick some booty and correct this, but Stackhouse has been making bad decisions for a long time now.

All that said, Dallas looked pretty @#$% good while they were winning. It was only after the fact that some of these problems really stood out. The last possession was the real meltdown. Great team D by the Spurs, but several bad decisions in a row by Dallas didn't hurt.

Mark in Austin
05-07-2006, 05:48 PM
If Dirk even dreams about scoring, he better wake up and apologize to Bruce.

SequSpur
05-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Fuck the Mavs.

LB7
05-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Looking back, Terry was terrible. He doesn't take (and miss) those twelve shots, and the Mavs probably win this game. Some of it was the Spurs' D, but again, blown layups, etc. More importantly, the Dallas guards didn't distribute the ball well over the course of the game. As Shoogar Bear pointed out, (Mora voice on) "TWO ASSISTS... IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!" (Mora voice off). AJ may be able to kick some booty and correct this, but Stackhouse has been making bad decisions for a long time now.

All that said, Dallas looked pretty @#$% good while they were winning. It was only after the fact that some of these problems really stood out. The last possession was the real meltdown. Great team D by the Spurs, but several bad decisions in a row by Dallas didn't hurt.
Agreed. Terry was terrible. He had a few nice finishes (the one over everyone where Damp almost took him out), but thats it. He missed a lot of open shots he normally makes. Floaters, 8 footers, etc. There was some good D, but he got to the hole and couldn't finish. Parker didn't stop him, and he didn't stop Parker. Overall, Spurs D good when it counted.

samikeyp
05-07-2006, 05:58 PM

Margin of victory is irrelevant...all that matters is the final score.

Personally I expect a motivated and tougher Mavs team in Game 2. Still a great game by two great teams.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Margin of victory is irrelevant...all that matters is the final score.

Personally I expect a motivated and tougher Mavs team in Game 2. Still a great game by two great teams.
Personally, I expect a prepared and rested Spurs team in game 2. Dallas sounds like they are completely psyched out.

Deb
05-07-2006, 06:27 PM
:owned :owned

LB7
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
So, by spurs fans standards...Manu was owned as well. :rolleyes

J.T.
05-07-2006, 07:08 PM
You're not owned if you win the game.

LB7
05-07-2006, 07:09 PM
LOL ok

J.T.
05-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I'd rather have 15 from Manu and a W than 38 and a L.

Deb
05-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Only if we had lost :spin :spin :spin

LB7
05-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I'd rather have 15 from Manu and a W than 38 and a L.
You will get no argument from me on that issue. My point was made on individual efforts alone. Yes, the W is more important. I wasn't talking more important, just stating facts.

FromWayDowntown
05-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Parker and Ginobili were obviously tired as hell but still had decent/good games.

What was most impressive to me about Parker today was that the vaunted Devin Harris difference wasn't any sort of difference at all.

Parker was able to blow by Harris regularly and didn't score only because he was met at the rim by a big. It's a small step from that to finding the open big -- they did it once, I think -- and getting an easier bucket still.

Harris may pick it up as things go along, but for today at least, with a banged up and weary Parker and a rested and recovered Harris, Parker seemed to me to be relatively unaffected by Harris' presence on the floor.

That, along with Parker's efforts to demonstrate to the Mavericks that the 18 foot jumper is very much a weapon in his arsenal, as it has been since about late February.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 07:24 PM
What was most impressive to me about Parker today was that the vaunted Devin Harris difference wasn't any sort of difference at all.

Parker was able to blow by Harris regularly and didn't score only because he was met at the rim by a big. It's a small step from that to finding the open big -- they did it once, I think -- and getting an easier bucket still.

Harris may pick it up as things go along, but for today at least, with a banged up and weary Parker and a rested and recovered Harris, Parker seemed to me to be relatively unaffected by Harris' presence on the floor.

That, along with Parker's efforts to demonstrate to the Mavericks that the 18 foot jumper is very much a weapon in his arsenal, as it has been since about late February.
Haven't you heard? Devin Harris is hurt. Otherwise he would have held Duncan and Parker to single digits.

T Park
05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
If Devin Harris had played 20 mins,

good lord, the 3rd world war would've started....

????????
05-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Parker can get into the lane. He just needs to realize when the bigs rotate and then find the nice little dish to TIMMY for the dunk. Once he does that a couple of times, the bigs wont be as quick to help and parker will be able to finish once again.

Great Game. Didnt play well but played well enought to win. I expect Manu and Tony to bring more consistency for the rest of the series. I expect Dirk and Terry to step up and take on more of the offensive responsibilities. Looks like a good series, but I think the deciding factor will be the fact that the Mavs still rely far, far, far too much on jump shots and especially fade away jump shots. They don't attack the rim like the Kings, and all of those fade aways will kill you in the 4th, like today. Plus, the Mavs dont have a big with scoring chops. That will be hard for them to overcome. This was the first Spurs game in a long time that I went in thinking it was 50/50. The lack of rest and the rested Mavs concerned me for this one game, and the fact that we could beat a rested Mavs team at approx. 80% due to fatigue is very Nice.

spurster
05-07-2006, 08:27 PM
My random thought is that both teams better execute their offense better in crunch if they expect to win this series.

Deb
05-07-2006, 08:29 PM
God, that must be the gayest pic of all time

Tres_Till_it_MHz
05-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Random Thoughts...

Spurs really looked tired and somewhat unprepared, unfortunately for Mavs fans this was probably the best and only opportunity for ya'll to win a game in SA. X's and O's with a little rest and some home cooking for game two is not good for Mavs.

Bowen is one bad mutha, Dirk is gonna have nightmares.

Avery is a little bitch and so is his owner.

Game two, Fat Tire or Shiner Bock?

katyon6th
05-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Manny, your random thoughts on Game 1 are fucking superb.

My random thoughts have been covered so I won't be redundant but...

GO SPURS GO! Damn I love them!!

T Park
05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Spurs really looked tired and somewhat unprepared

Thatll happen on a 36 hour turnaround.

5ToolMan
05-07-2006, 08:55 PM

I thought it was a great game today. We didn't execute at the end and that was the difference. I still feel that it will be a long series and it is not over by any stretch of the imagination. I felt like the Mavs were the best team til the end. Yes, thats when it matters most and props to the Spurs for finishing strong. However, yes I take a positive in the fact that we were the better team for the better part of 4 quarters. Just have to finish it next time. Props to the Spurs tho, good game.

If you saw the Mavs as the best team until the end it might be time to get the eyes checked. LOL!

When you learn to see the game clearly you whould know Duncan owned the middle on both ends of the floor the entire first half and all of the 4th quarter. Without the Stackhouse anomoly this game is over by the half. Once the Spurs picked up the defense, and Timmy got just very a little help from his freinds, the writing was on the wall for anyone who knows how to read NBA hoops.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Thatll happen on a 36 hour turnaround.
No doubt. The Mavs missed a golden opportunity.

LB7
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
If you saw the Mavs as the best team until the end it might be time to get the eyes checked. LOL!

When you learn to see the game clearly you whould know Duncan owned the middle on both ends of the floor the entire first half and all of the 4th quarter. Without the Stackhouse anomoly this game is over by the half. Once the Spurs picked up the defense, and Timmy got just very a little help from his freinds, the writing was on the wall for anyone who knows how to read NBA hoops.
Sorry Duncan does not equal team. I still feel like the Mavs played the better game up until the end. Yes this is the time that counts most and the Mavs blew it. Good game by Duncan but I stand by what I have already said.

Saying Duncan killed us does not disprove to me that the Mavs didn't still play the better game. Sorry, don't really see your point there. He single handedly kept the Spurs in the game til the final quarter and we crumbled. I agree, he was awesome.

duncan2k5
05-07-2006, 10:32 PM
i agree with LB7...the mavs played better for the whole game barring the last 4 minutes...and thats the good thing for us. remeber when timmy was the only one scoring, and the rest of the team was like 5-20 or something like that? we still won. so imagine what will happen once we get the ball rolling...

gameFACE
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I still feel like the Mavs played the better game up until the end. Yes this is the time that counts most and the Mavs blew it.
This game pretty much illustrated where the Spurs and Mavs are. Pretty close all things considered. But the Spurs defense and their experience in using it in their system and at the right time could make all the difference in the outcome of the series.

LB7
05-07-2006, 11:50 PM
^You're absolutely right. If the Mavs don't do it for 48 min, it will be very very difficult to beat an experienced team like the spurs especially at home. Great game from both teams. Wish my team would have won, but I didn't expect this to be easy.

LB7
05-07-2006, 11:53 PM
God, that must be the gayest pic of all time

These are the people I don't have much respect for. You can talk all you want about the game, and I will respect your opinion. However, talking about 2 guys celebrating in ways I have seen all teams celebrate shows immaturity. I've seen the spurs players embracing. Ive seen other teams embracing. Its a team game and thats how people celebrate winning together. Just a sad showing from you Deb. But thats fine. I will continue to talk actual basketball with other spurs fans who show they can have adult conversations.

I'm not here to dog on anyone. I'm not a troll. I respect the Spurs and how good they are. In order for the Mavs to shed their reputation, we all know it goes through San Antonio. If I say anything that offends anyone, let me know. Just here to get the other side's take on each game on what has proven should be an awesome series to watch no matter who you are.

MannyIsGod
05-08-2006, 12:44 AM
You want to know the hallmark of Spurs Championship runs? Games like this. Games where they look bad at times, but are never out of the game and manage to win it at the end.

What Mavericks fans don't understand because they've never seen it in action is how important that fourth quater was because of what it represents. Those minutes of field goal less basketball that the Spurs made the Mavs play are THE CORNERSTONE of championships. The way this game was won was very telling.

The Mavs are done. It may take 6 games, but the Mavs are done. Where are they going to pull a victory out from? What experience are they going to draw off of? What tested veteran will pull it out?

A-Train
05-08-2006, 12:47 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/pilotsoccer7/2052810-851894.jpg

Jesus Saves

Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2006, 12:49 AM

Jesus Saves

Rustyman
05-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Not having seen the game I cannot comment much except to say that the Spurs still havent done nothing yet except hold their slight advantage. While it may be fun to mock the Mavs after the game 1 win, I still expect the Mavs to win at least 2 game in this series and they still have a pretty decent chance of winning the series.

ObiwanGinobili
05-08-2006, 07:55 AM

Jesus Saves

hahahahhahaahhah hahahahah hhha hahahahhaha ha ha.

He looks like he's comforting a small child that lost his mommy.

Ginofan
05-08-2006, 08:03 AM
For some reason I'm not calling the series won yet. Yeah we got game one, but it just didn't feel like a confident win to me. The Spurs had no legs, and the Mavs had rust...we just eeked it out. Alot of us have said that we didn't really expect to win Game 1 anyway. I'll be looking to Game 2 for more of a feel as to how the series will go.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Not having seen the game I cannot comment much except to say that the Spurs still havent done nothing yet except hold their slight advantage. While it may be fun to mock the Mavs after the game 1 win, I still expect the Mavs to win at least 2 game in this series and they still have a pretty decent chance of winning the series.
This was the best chance for the Mavs to steal a game in San Antonio, which they have to do to win the series. They only have three more shots at it and the Spurs will be just as rested as they are. The Mavs missed a bunch of free throws and had two good chances to tie the game at the end. Saying the Spurs "haven't done nothing" when they defended their home court on a extremely short turnaround couldn't be more wrong.

pache100
05-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Spurs really looked tired and somewhat unprepared,

I thought Manu looked a little tired. I actually thought Tony looked a little feverish, like he might be coming down with something...it was his eyes, they were glassy and a little sunken. Hopefully it was just fatigue...or he gets over whatever it was before tomorrow night. Maybe he was just missing Eva.

kidd
05-08-2006, 08:21 AM
I only watched the fourth quarter, but it seemed that Avery didn't make the right decisions down the stretch. He seems to be bad at calling good plays after timeouts... this is a HUGE advantage for the Spurs if it continues, and I think it will. :hang

pache100
05-08-2006, 08:21 AM
You want to know the hallmark of Spurs Championship runs? Games like this. Games where they look bad at times, but are never out of the game and manage to win it at the end.

Yes. I agree 100%. Reminded me a lot of Game 7 of the finals last year.

pache100
05-08-2006, 08:23 AM
I only watched the fourth quarter, but it seemed that Avery didn't make the right decisions down the stretch. He seems to be bad at calling good plays after timeouts... this is a HUGE advantage for the Spurs if it continues, and I think it will. :hang

I don't think Avery was "bad" at calling plays at all. He was definitely outcoached, but I'm sure he expected that. He's a green coach, he'll only get better; it's amazing and miraculous that his team is where it is today - Avery and that team compliment each other perfectly right now. In comparison to just about anyone except Pop, Avery looks like a genius in that game yesterday.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't think Avery was "bad" at calling plays at all. He was definitely outcoached, but I'm sure he expected that. He's a green coach, he'll only get better; it's amazing and miraculous that his team is where it is today - Avery and that team compliment each other perfectly right now. In comparison to just about anyone except Pop, Avery looks like a genius in that game yesterday.
It seems strange that the coach of the year would be outcoached.

kidd
05-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Yah I only saw the fourth quarter, and what he has done with this team is amazing, but, for example, that final play didn't seem like a very well thought out play.

pache100
05-08-2006, 08:45 AM
It seems strange that the coach of the year would be outcoached.

Yes, it does...but he was. And I'm sure he knows it and is already making corrections. :spin

LB7
05-08-2006, 09:21 AM

What Mavericks fans don't understand because they've never seen it in action is how important that fourth quater was because of what it represents. Those minutes of field goal less basketball that the Spurs made the Mavs play are THE CORNERSTONE of championships. The way this game was won was very telling.

The Mavs are done. It may take 6 games, but the Mavs are done. Where are they going to pull a victory out from? What experience are they going to draw off of? What tested veteran will pull it out?

I agree that the last few minutes are very important. You also have to remember that the Spurs only had that three in the final minutes. No, we didn't score but we held the Spurs scoreless for the last 2 minutes. The spurs made one when it counted and we didn't, but very good D from both teams. Can't left Bruce Bowen get open for 3 tho.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 09:52 AM
uhhh...those of you that think Bowen is gonna lock down Dirk every game like he did yesterday are dreaming. Adjustments are what 7 game series are all about. The way to negate Bowen is to start running him off screens and Dirk only needs a fraction of space to get his shot off. I am pretty sure Avery is gonna know this.

Jimcs50
05-08-2006, 10:01 AM
The loudest arena ever was the Hemisfair Arena by far. After a really good game, my ears would still be ringing a half hour later, and that is no lie. The ATT is not that loud, really, for most of the game.(It was loud in 4th Q yesterday) Even the PA announcer has to continually say: "A little help", which is embarrassing, IMO.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Even the PA announcer has to continually say: "A little help", which is embarrassing, IMO.Just to be fair, Stan used to say that at Hemisfair, too. I never considered it embarassing until reading your post because it's been part of Spurs games since I started following the team.

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 11:09 AM
uhhh...those of you that think Bowen is gonna lock down Dirk every game like he did yesterday are dreaming. Adjustments are what 7 game series are all about. The way to negate Bowen is to start running him off screens and Dirk only needs a fraction of space to get his shot off. I am pretty sure Avery is gonna know this.

Of all the homerism in this thread, this is the most accurate.

I am NOT saying the Mavs will win, but to gauge Bowen's effectiveness on sparse regular season meetings is BS.

If AJ is worth his salt, he will adjust his plan for Dirk to get better looks. Or, God Forbid, Dirk wakes up one day and says "Hmmmmm, Im 7ft tall, maybe I should post more..."

A-Train
05-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Dirk's been asleep for the last 7 seasons. That's not gonna change.

Jimcs50
05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Just to be fair, Stan used to say that at Hemisfair, too. I never considered it embarassing until reading your post because it's been part of Spurs games since I started following the team.

I do not think he ever had to say that in the Arena in the playoffs. Can you remember your ears ringing after a great game there? I do, and they have not rang since.

:)

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I do not think he ever had to say that in the Arena in the playoffs. Can you remember your ears ringing after a great game there? I do, and they have not rang since.

:)

uhhh...they DID seriously encourage crowd noise at the Hemisfair Arena...remember that stupid "noise meter"? They would put that thing up every time the crowd started getting quiet during a pivotal part of the game...LOL...it always amazed me...The game would be going on and you would look around and everyone would be looking up at the jumbotron screaming their guts out thinking it was a REAL noise meter and trying to do their part to "peg" it...:lol

Jimcs50
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
uhhh...they DID seriously encourage crowd noise at the Hemisfair Arena...remember that stupid "noise meter"? They would put that thing up every time the crowd started getting quiet during a pivotal part of the game...LOL...it always amazed me...The game would be going on and you would look around and everyone would be looking up at the jumbotron screaming their guts out thinking it was a REAL noise meter and trying to do their part to "peg" it...:lol

Again, not in the playoffs, unless it was a blowout in either direction.

LB7
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Dirk's been asleep for the last 7 seasons. That's not gonna change.

Again, someone else that apparently does not watch the Mavs in any games other than Spurs games.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM

:)Not having been to a playoff game at HemisFair, I plead ignorance on that one. Again, I never considered it embarassing, because it's part of Spurs games to me. You would know better than I would about the origin of it or whether it wasn't done in the playoffs. It would make sense that the current crop of Spurs fans is much less rabid than the old Spurs teams, considering the difference in the sheer number of postseason games played. If you went to a first round game in the 80s or 90s, you screamed your ass off because there might only be three or four home games to go to. :)

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Not having been to a playoff game at HemisFair, I plead ignorance on that one. Again, I never considered it embarassing, because it's part of Spurs games to me. You would know better than I would about the origin of it or whether it wasn't done in the playoffs. It would make sense that the current crop of Spurs fans is much less rabid than the old Spurs teams, considering the difference in the sheer number of postseason games played. If you went to a first round game in the 80s or 90s, you screamed your ass off because there might only be three or four home games to go to. :)

:lmao

sad but true...I can remember splitting up tickets and wanting to be sure we got tickets early in the first round to make sure we actually got to see a game...:lol

A-Train
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Again, someone else that apparently does not watch the Mavs in any games other than Spurs games.

A post game does not consist of taking a turnaround J from 12 feet. I've seen Dirk plenty since he's been in the league. He does not have anything close to a post game.

leemajors
05-08-2006, 11:48 AM
i don't think AJ's plays called were the problem, it was either the execution or how well defensed they were.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
A post game does not consist of taking a turnaround J from 12 feet. I've seen Dirk plenty since he's been in the league. He does not have anything close to a post game.

True, Dirk is not a postup player but he doesn't need to be. He has his own unique and effective style...he had virtually the same shooting percentage as Duncan this year (scoring almost 10 ppg more) and usually drew the other teams bigs out of the paint to guard him...this opened up cutting lanes for the rest of his team...if you only watched the Mavericks play the Spurs you don't realize how differently the Spurs play him (having the luxury of putting Bowen on him) and the mismatches his style creates with other teams...I am in no way a "Dirk lover" but you guys are being blinded by our success against him in game one...Avery WILL start rubbing Dirk off screens and getting him open later in the series and our bigs will have to start switching if his shot is falling...

ChaCho's Nacho's
05-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Dirk is a piece of shit, Manu is the man, Timmy finally awoke, Dampier, Diop, and that other dude all are Tim's bitches, and Rasho still sucks the biggest Penis in the world

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Dirk is a piece of shit, Manu is the man, Timmy finally awoke, Dampier, Diop, and that other dude all are Tim's bitches, and Rasho still sucks the biggest Penis in the world

http://www.cinoche.com/images/actualites/2005/drphil.jpg

Son, you seem to have some anger issues....

ChaCho's Nacho's
05-08-2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.cinoche.com/images/actualites/2005/drphil.jpg

Son, you seem to have some anger issues....
I only speak in facts, I mean I am after all just a plate of nachos

MannyIsGod
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
We've never seen Bruce shut down stars for entire series, so I don't know why would expect it now. Must be complete homerism.

http://www.flatstanley.com/images/phoenix-marion.jpg
http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/ray0522.jpg

MannyIsGod
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
For the record, I expect Dirk to go off at times this series. But I also expect more repeats of yesterday's 2nd half.

pache100
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Sean Marion always looks like he's about half-drunk to me.

samikeyp
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
^^^:lmao

Sasha
05-08-2006, 03:16 PM

I agree. Nothing pisses off the NBA - and everyone else, apparently - as much as the Spurs. Especially when they're on a roll.

The commentators were particularly irritating - we finally turned off the TV sound and turned up WOAI, even though the delay was horrible. It wasn't that we give a sh*t whether they say anything 'nice' about the Spurs, but we would have appreciated it if they had shown a little respect for the Champs instead of talking like the almighty Mavs weren't playing anything but a pitiful little team from BFE. If a Mav did anything - and I do mean anything -these guys roared. Whenever a Spur pulled a slick one they just changed the subject. I think Timmy's performance must have made them physically ill. I don't think I've ever been so mad in my life...

Another thing is this Dallas attitude that they 'let' us win this game - what game were they watching? Dallas fought as hard as I've seen them fight in a long, long time and they came up short. So be it. Nobody 'let' anybody do anything.

The last thing is AJ's whining about Bowen's 'bearhug' defense. Puleeze!! What's Bowen doing that's so damn different? Nothing that I can see. Didn't AJ play with Bowen? Wasn't Bowen's defense fine then? Maybe I'm wrong - I'm not a basketball expert by any stretch of the imagination. But these crocodile tears from the Little General are kinda turning my stomach.

Enough said. I feel better now.
:madrun

T Park
05-08-2006, 04:18 PM

When Dirk shows a slight hint of being a guy, then I'll be worried.

Dirk is not faster than Bowen, therefore Bowen doesn't have to worry about his speed.

T Park
05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Dirk gets his.

Fine.

You put Horry on him to put a longer body on him if Bowen aint workin, and stick him on Howard.

IMO, tommarow, if they start Horry, put him on Dirk, and put Bowen on Howard to keep him from starting off hot like yesterday.

That would aid in getting a good lead at the outset.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Dirk gets his.

Fine.

You put Horry on him to put a longer body on him if Bowen aint workin, and stick him on Howard.

IMO, tommarow, if they start Horry, put him on Dirk, and put Bowen on Howard to keep him from starting off hot like yesterday.

That would aid in getting a good lead at the outset.

I don't know that I'd agree with that philosophy as a starting point for tomorrow's game. But I would think that at various points during this series, we'll see both Horry and Duncan on Dirk for some stretches.

LB7
05-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Then, again, you do not watch. Its ok, just admit it.

A-Train
05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Fadeaway jumpers from 20 feet do not qualify as a post game, 'cept for Mav Fan.

Seriously, this has to be the worst take I've seen yet in this forum. Dirk Nowitzki does not have a lot post game. None. Did you even watch Game 1? When did he back someone down in the post and go to the rim? That means from within 5 feet of the rim, not 20 feet out with the turnaround fadeaway.

There are plenty of guards in this league who have a better post game than Nowitzki.

LB7
05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Fadeaway jumpers from 20 feet do not qualify as a post game, 'cept for Mav Fan.

Seriously, this has to be the worst take I've seen yet in this forum. Dirk Nowitzki does not have a lot post game. None. Did you even watch Game 1? When did he back someone down in the post and go to the rim? That means from within 5 feet of the rim, not 20 feet out with the turnaround fadeaway.

There are plenty of guards in this league who have a better post game than Nowitzki.
You're right. He backed no one down in Game 1. Doesn't mean he hasn't before. He has. He will have to do it more in this series to get us some wins. His post game is not anywhere near Tim's but it doesn't need to be. He has a much better outside game than Duncan. Duncan can kill people inside and Dirk cannot, not arguing that fact. The thing that gets me is someone who claims to have any basketball knowledge at all can't admit that Dirk is any kind of threat. The lack of respect for him in this entire forum is ridiculous. I'm glad the actual spurs players respect him, because if they took any kind of lesson from some of you, it would be sad.

A-Train
Seriously. Google "nowitzki posting up" and what does one find?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12373937/

Much has changed. Even without attending college, Nowitzki caught the eye of NBA scouts and was the ninth pick in the 1998 draft. He has become one of the NBA's best players, the first legitimate MVP candidate in Mavericks history and the team's only All-NBA first-team player. Yet the scouting report on Nowitzki remains remarkably similar to the mental notes Van Eman made nearly a decade ago: Excellent shooter. Great size. Runs the floor. Handles the ball. Lacks a back-to-the-basket post-up game.

Continue to embarass yourself all you want.

A-Train
You're right. He backed no one down in Game 1. Doesn't mean he hasn't before. He has. His post game is not anywhere near Tim's but it doesn't need to be. He has a much better outside game than Duncan. Duncan can kill people inside and Dirk cannot, not arguing that fact. The thing that gets me is someone who claims to have any basketball knowledge at all can't admit that Dirk is any kind of threat. The lack of respect from him in this entire forum is ridiculous. I'm glad the actual spurs players respect him, because if they took any kind of lesson from some of you, it would be sad.

Did I say that Nowitzki wasn't a threat? Nope. I said he didn't have a post game. Pay attention.

LB7
05-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Did I say that Nowitzki wasn't a threat? Nope. I said he didn't have a post game. Pay attention.
Nope you said he hasn't woken up for 7 years. That is a total lack of respect for one of the top 10 players in the league. And, alot has changed since he came into the NBA. He has improved at least one area every year. He has improved passing, passing out of double teams, defense, and is working on continuing to strengthen his post game. Once again, he doesn't need it a lot of the time. But we sure need it against Bowen, because I think it will help a lot.

BTW, you don't embarrass yourself defending one of the best players in the NBA. You embarrass yourself trying to diss him.

J.T.
05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
The lack of respect Mavs have for the entire Spurs team is ridiculous. Robert Horry's only game being the 3 pointer, NVE and Finley being washed up, Barry being a liability. It's seriously a last-ditch effort to lay some smack.

Even more ridiculous is Mavs fans faith their team will take this series.

LB7
05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I respect the Spurs as I have said repeatedly on this board. I know there are alot who do not but its not me. You can read my posts and all of them have respect for the spurs and what they have done.

And what kind of fan doesn't have faith their team can take a series. What a ridiculous statement on your part JT.

J.T.
05-08-2006, 04:51 PM
And what kind of fan doesn't have faith their team can take a series. What a ridiculous statement on your part JT.

Saying Mavs take this series is about as smart as saying gas will be under a dollar any time in the distant future. Faith in your team is fine, nothing wrong with that, but I wipe my ass with all the "Spurs are going down, blah blah blah Mavs are god's gift to basketball" comments. There is a line between faith and delusion and it is seriously blurred when it comes to Mavs fans.

LB7
05-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Saying Mavs take this series is about as smart as saying gas will be under a dollar any time in the distant future. Faith in your team is fine, nothing wrong with that, but I wipe my ass with all the "Spurs are going down, blah blah blah Mavs are god's gift to basketball" comments. There is a line between faith and delusion and it is seriously blurred when it comes to Mavs fans.

Totally agreed. Any Mavs or Spurs fans who think this will be a cake walk for either team has problems. I have faith that the Mavs can win it because they can. It will be the toughest challenge but they can. It should be a lot of fun to watch.

A-Train
05-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Nope you said he hasn't woken up for 7 years. That is a total lack of respect for one of the top 10 players in the league. And, alot has changed since he came into the NBA. He has improved at least one area every year. He has improved passing, passing out of double teams, defense, and is working on continuing to strengthen his post game. Once again, he doesn't need it a lot of the time. But we sure need it against Bowen, because I think it will help a lot.

BTW, you don't embarrass yourself defending one of the best players in the NBA. You embarrass yourself trying to diss him.

I said he hasn't woken up if you expect him to post up.

LB7
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I said he hasn't woken up if you expect him to post up.

I apologize.

timvp
05-08-2006, 05:59 PM
This series is far from over. Spurs fans like to get excited early in series. You couldn't find a Spurs fan outside of a handful of us who wasn't looking past the Lakers in 2004 when the Spurs went up 2-0. Spurs fans were also overconfident when the Spurs came back to San Antonio 2-2 against Houston in 1995.

The Spurs squeeked out one game. All the Mavs have to do is win Tuesday and then they have control of the series.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-08-2006, 06:05 PM
I think this entire series will be a dogfight too. I thought Avery and the mavs were well prepared for us for game 1. Sure duncan dominated, but we didnt even pull away until the very end. If duncan had a performance like last night and we lose, we get a bajillion parker sucks manu sucks threads.

Duncan's aggressiveness, Bowen's D, and our outside shots are the most promising things I saw from game 1. If we keep that up, we'll be close, but its gonna take even more effort on those boards and better decision making by the guards to make this series a winner.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-08-2006, 06:20 PM
yeah but if we had Duncan Dominating and we had made at least 4 more of our 3 - 12 Three Point shooting, we would have had our way with the Mavs Defense.

Duncan was one of the only players that showed up yesterday and all of our shooters were off their game, and Duncan stated that the other guy's are gonna show up tomorrow.

T Park
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Duncan's aggressiveness, Bowen's D, and our outside shots are the most promising things I saw from game 1. If we keep that up, we'll be close, but its gonna take even more effort on those boards and better decision making by the guards to make this series a winner

I thought the encouraging thing was, at times, how easily Ginobili could get open.

If he is fresh, he knocks those shots down, and its a bigger margain of victory.

I fully expect the old Manu to bust out tuesday night.

J.T.
05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I fully expect the old Manu to bust out tuesday night.

:king

Cant_Be_Faded
05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I think manu could have played better but his shot was not one of the biggest problems out there on the court. I wouild have liked to see Parker stop being Kobe, and learn how to just be constantly aware, and dish that ball or shoot it, instead of already knowing he's gonna shoot it or pass it before he drives the lane.

The last 4 or 5 possessions in the half, only parker and nazr touched the ball. I think Ginobili touched it once off a broken play, received a quick pick, then made a basket.

But other htan that, you saw parker getting well defended and being exploited for his lack of true on the fly decision making

5ToolMan
05-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Sorry Duncan does not equal team. I still feel like the Mavs played the better game up until the end. Yes this is the time that counts most and the Mavs blew it. Good game by Duncan but I stand by what I have already said.

Saying Duncan killed us does not disprove to me that the Mavs didn't still play the better game. Sorry, don't really see your point there. He single handedly kept the Spurs in the game til the final quarter and we crumbled. I agree, he was awesome.

Duncan's excellence was because the Mavs "were forced" (chose) to guard him one on one. Even if the other threats on a TEAM are not scoring, the TEAM still gets credit for bringing enough of a threat to allow other players to get single coverage.

It is great that you give Tim credit for understanding the situation and steping up to deliver. But, you might want to check your view of the game and understand his team also gets credit for being enough of a threat to draw defenders, AND for using the best option of taking what is given as a team.

As a fan who has watched the Spurs since the ABA AND has been front and center for the entire Duncan era, I never had any doubt that the Spurs were in controll of this game from bell to bell, dispite what the unknowing felt.

Because they recognize the game is 48 minutes AND know the Spurs history in these type of games in playoff hoops, I doubt few Spurs fans were worried about the final outcome after the first few minutes of Duncan's abuse of the Mavs front line.

LB7
05-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Duncan's excellence was because the Mavs "were forced" (chose) to guard him one on one. Even if the other threats on a TEAM are not scoring, the TEAM still gets credit for bringing enough of a threat to allow other players to get single coverage.

It is great that you give Tim credit for understanding the situation and steping up to deliver. But, you might want to check your view of the game and understand his team also gets credit for being enough of a threat to draw defenders, AND for using the best option of taking what is given as a team.

As a fan who has watched the Spurs since the ABA AND has been front and center for the entire Duncan era, I never had any doubt that the Spurs were in controll of this game from bell to bell, dispite what the unknowing felt.

Because they recognize the game is 48 minutes AND know the Spurs history in these type of games in playoff hoops, I doubt few Spurs fans were worried about the final outcome after the first few minutes of Duncan's abuse of the Mavs front line.

I don't know what else to say. I continually try to show my respect for the spurs and how great a series this will be, and some spurs fan always finds a way to find something negative in my comments. I'm not a basketball expert. I played all through school and thats it. Well, I'm a 5'0" chick so what do ya expect. Anyway, I respect both these teams. Should be a dogfight. Good luck to all.

T Park
05-08-2006, 07:18 PM
I wouild have liked to see Parker stop being Kobe, and learn how to just be constantly aware, and dish that ball or shoot it, instead of already knowing he's gonna shoot it or pass it before he drives the lane

so, uh, then, don't run set plays?

you saw parker getting well defended and being exploited for his lack of true on the fly decision making

Ginobili's shot was off, look at the last possessions of the 4th quarter when it was all Ginobili and Duncan pick and rolls.

But, that was Parker's fault too I suppose.

Shank
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Mavs win the next 3.

Shank
05-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Typical loser Mavs fan mentality. MOST playoff games after the first round are close. It's what separates the winners (us) from the losers (you). Deep playoff series are often decided on the basis of 1-3 shots over the course of a series.

The man's a prophet.

Melmart1
05-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Mavs won the next 3. Congrats, Shanks. That still leaves your team 1 short of a series win.

Spurs in 7

jstackmvp
05-16-2006, 04:18 PM

:lol yes they do!!! bitch!!