PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Defense in 4th Q was best of the year

Jimcs50
05-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Dallas 29 23 20 13 85
San Antonio 26 20 25 16 87

Look at Dallas' scoring in this game, it went down each quarter. The Spurs had no time to prepare for Dallas in this series, so Pop had to get his team to see what Dallas was going to do, and then adjust on the fly.

Early in the game, Dallas was getting to their sweet spots and knocking down their shot at a highpercentage, but Pop had the guys get to Dallas' spots before they had a chance to get to their comfortable positions on the court, and what happened was predictable. Dallas' shot would no longer drop and they started to press. The Spurs' defense in the 4th Q was suffocating and Dallas had zero flow to their offense.

I think Dallas' plan on their last second shot was for Dirk to draw the double team, and then hit Stack in the corner for the 3 to win. But Bruce stayed right on Dirk and Manu knew that Stack was the man to get the shot, so he stayed right in the passing lane and tipped the pass, disrupting Stacks' plan and making him try an almost impossible shot to win. WTF did Stackhouse think he had to make a 3 anyway?? After the play broke down, Stack could have had a much less diffficult shot for a 2, but once Stack backpeddled to the corner, Manu followed him with his arms straight up, and Stack had no shot at all.

I think the Spurs played the best defense of the year in this 4th Q, they totally took away Dallas' shots, and it paid huge dividends.

Dallas was 5-15 in the Q and had 5 turnovers :smokin

Now, Pop will have 2 days to really prepare, so I am looking for SA to win on Tuesday in an easier manner.

v2freak
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
In response to the title of the thread: yes it was!

DDS4
05-07-2006, 04:41 PM
If we can get the offense going like we did in the 3rd quarter of the last game in the Kings series, we're golden.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2006, 04:43 PM
The offense ain't gonna happen like it did against the Kings. Avery has these guys closing out shooters.

But I think the Spurs are starting to get The Mindset. And Timmy is morphing back into The MVP. That should be enough.

A-Train
05-07-2006, 04:47 PM
AJ might want to rethink his gameplan of letting TD get off.

boutons_
05-07-2006, 04:47 PM
The whole 4th qtr was crunch time, Spurs win 16 -13.

Both teams stepped it up.

Spurs were 7/18 FGs in 4th, 39%, and had 4 TO

As I said in another thread, I don't care how ugly or how close, just get the W.

Now the Spurs have a long Sunday evening, Monday, and Tue to rest, recuperate, heal, study Game1 tape, and get ready to go up 2-0.

timvp
05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Good thread.

I was worried there for a bit in the first half and in the third that the Spurs' defense was dead. They never played that good of defense against the Kings and the Mavs were scoring easily to start the game.

Then the fourth quarter came. That's the Spurs I know.

Welcome back.

:smokin

Das Texan
05-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Been a long time coming.

Especially after last round when the defense the Spurs played largely was total and utter garbage.

cherylsteele
05-07-2006, 05:52 PM
AJ might want to rethink his gameplan of letting TD get off.
That would suit me fine. It will open up shooters like Manu, Bruce, Mike, Brent, etc. It is pick your poison time.

boutons_
05-07-2006, 05:59 PM
"It will open up shooters "

Spurs almost died by the 3G today, 3/13, 23%.

Bruce shot 1/3, but it was the game winner.

Mavs know the Spurs need the 3G to win, that Spurs are best 3G %age team in the playoffs @43%, so I expect the Mavs will not be leaving our shooters wide open, daring us to beat them with 3Gs.

CubanMustGo
05-07-2006, 06:01 PM
One other thing about today's game is that the refs were letting a lot of contact go and keeping the whistles out of play ... especially down the stretch. If we get Dirk Bavetta to call a game, look out.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2006, 06:25 PM
One other thing about today's game is that the refs were letting a lot of contact go and keeping the whistles out of play ... especially down the stretch. If we get Dirk Bavetta to call a game, look out.
No way. If the Spurs can't play any better than they did today, they can't blame the officiating.

aaronstampler
05-07-2006, 08:36 PM
If they run at shooters, we just have to be patient and blow by them and settle for easy twos. Or if you're crafty, wait a beat and let them foul you shooting the 3 and get 3 free throws.

Jimcs50
05-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Good thread.

I was worried there for a bit in the first half and in the third that the Spurs' defense was dead. They never played that good of defense against the Kings and the Mavs were scoring easily to start the game.

Then the fourth quarter came. That's the Spurs I know.

Welcome back.

Yes, that was my thoughts exactly. This was the Spurs' defense that we have come to expect every year, especially in the playoffs. Their D was good this year, don't get me wrong, but it was not anything like today's 4th Q defense, which reminded me of their 03 playoffs, where they shut people down in the 4th Q, especially in all of their close out games.

Things are looking great for the Spurs on defense, and that bodes well for their chances of repeating.

SAGambler
05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
That would suit me fine. It will open up shooters like Manu, Bruce, Mike, Brent, etc. It is pick your poison time.

Yep...that's what AJ said....With the Spurs you just have to pick your poison.

From the lips of one who knows the Spurs....

AJ knows what he's up against....So do the players... And it showed in some of their game jitters today...

SAGambler
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
"It will open up shooters "

Spurs almost died by the 3G today, 3/13, 23%.

Bruce shot 1/3, but it was the game winner.

Mavs know the Spurs need the 3G to win, that Spurs are best 3G %age team in the playoffs @43%, so I expect the Mavs will not be leaving our shooters wide open, daring us to beat them with 3Gs.

If they double up on Tim....They have no choice but to leave the 3 open... If they guard the 3, Tim keeps giving them lessons....

Win-win situation for Spurs......Mavs....Pick your poison......

ducks
05-07-2006, 11:42 PM
when spur playes are tired the three pointers do not fail

they fail on tuesday and on saturday due to the long break

samikeyp
05-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Well said Jimbo.