PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Reform Needed

Pistons < Spurs
05-08-2006, 12:21 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_goaltending/84/20060507/playoff_reform_needed/

The NBA playoffs are beginning to become as much of a joke as college football’s BCS system. They changed their playoff policy a few years ago, making the three division winners from each conference the top three seeds automatically. It seemed like a good idea at first, awarding teams for finishing first in their division, but it has challenged the legitimacy of the league’s postseason.

This year Dallas, who had the second-best record in the Western Conference, entered the playoffs as a number four seed because they shared the Southwest division with the 63-19 Spurs. This gave Memphis, the West’s fifth seed, a match-up with the second-best team in their conference and an early ticket home.

The division-winner seeding gave Denver the third seed, even though they tied with Sacramento for the conference’s seventh best record. A loss to Memphis on the second-to-last night of the season assured the Clippers of the sixth spot and a date with the third-seeded Nuggets.

The Clippers, a better team by record, easily disposed of the Nuggets, the better team in regards to seeding. In last years playoffs the Pacers, the Eastern Conference’s sixth seed, eliminated the Celtics, the third seed by virtue of winning the dismal Atlantic division.

That gives the third-seed a fifty percent success rate over the last two seasons.

Another problem with the playoffs is their length. The playoffs began in mid-April and won’t conclude mid-June. That’s two whole months of playoff basketball in relation to a regular season that lasts a little more than five months. That’s much longer postseason than either the NFL or MLB.

Not only are the playoffs long in comparison to the regular season, but they stretch the entire season out to almost eight months. Including training camp and preseason, a team that is lucky enough to make it to the Finals gets only a little more than two months off.

I’m not complaining, I’ll take all the NBA basketball Commissioner Stern will give me, but something has to be done.

I’m proposing that the league allow twelve, not sixteen teams, to qualify for the postseason. This will do wonders, but for starters it will increase the quality of basketball played in prime time.

Some critics of the NBA’s playoff bracket want to do away with separating the East and West until the Finals, but I’m not one of them. Twelve playoff teams would mean six in each conference.

The winners of each division would still be awarded by making the playoffs, but they will not automatically be given the top three seeds. That allows for three ‘wild card’ teams to make it from each conference. In order for both the bracket to work, and to award teams for finishing with the best record in their conference, the two teams with the best regular season records will receive a free pass into the second round.

The remaining four teams in each conference would be the three through six seeds. As in the current bracket set-up, the third seed would play the sixth seed and the fourth seed would play the fifth seed.

The first overall seed in the conference would await the winner of the four-five match-up, which leaves the winner of the three-six series for the second overall seed. That would assure that the top two teams in each conference couldn’t meet until the Conference Finals.

I would also change the first round back to the best-of-five format, and make the same change with the second round as well. That would shorten the playoffs by a few weeks, and add to the excitement by giving the underdog teams more of a chance to upend a title contender.

I know my suggestions could be confusing so here’s how this postseason would have looked if my playoff bracket had been used:

Eastern Conference – (1) Detroit and (2) Miami have byes. (3) Cleveland would play (6) Indiana, while (4) New Jersey would battle (5) Washington.

As you can see New Jersey may have won their division, but Cleveland had the better record so they get the third seed. That’s the only difference from the actual playoff seeding, aside from the fact that the Pistons and Heat receive byes.

Western Conference – (1) San Antonio and (2) Dallas have byes. (3) Phoenix would play (6) Denver, while (4) Memphis would battle the (5) Los Angeles Clippers .

The West was affected a great deal more than the East using my format. Dallas, rather than entering as the fourth seed, earns a bye for having the second-best record in their conference. Meanwhile, Denver the winner of their division falls all the way to the sixth seed, and wouldn’t have even qualified for my bracket had they not finished atop their division.

It’s not without fault, but it favors the better teams a little more, and doesn’t reward teams for winning their division despite how mediocre it can be. It’s not that I haven’t enjoyed this years’ first round, which some are calling the best ever, but I’ve felt these changes have been needed for quite some time.

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2006, 12:26 AM
nobody in their right mind would accept a bye system, there's too much money to be made, fucking moron

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-08-2006, 12:35 AM
^^Yeah, what he said so eloquently...

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2006, 12:43 PM
^^Yeah, what he said so eloquently...
:lol :lol

something needs to give......top 12 teams.........(bye bye pretenders of the BIG EAST!!!!!)

Bloodline666
05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
:lol :lol

something needs to give......top 12 teams.........(bye bye pretenders of the BIG EAST!!!!!)
Actually, the NBA used to have a 12-team playoff format, very similar to the NFL's playoff format. Remember, in 83, Moses Malone predicted "fo' fo' fo'" when it actually turned out to be "fo' fi' fo'", because the Sixers had a bye in the First Round. Otherwise, he would've predicted "fo' fo' fo' fo'", or at the time, "to' fo' fo' fo'" (because the first round didn't get the best-of-seven format until 2003).

I could be wrong, but if both Cleveland and New Jersey advance to the Eastern Conference Finals this year, the Cavaliers would get homecourt advantage over the Nets, despite the Cavs' 4 seed and the Nets' 3 seed, because I think the Cavs finished with a better record than the Nets, but the Cavs got the 4 seed for the same reason the Mavs did; they're in the same division as the 1 seed. Also note that if Phoenix and Dallas get to the Western Conference Finals, Dallas would also have homecourt against Phoenix. This year's playoffs has proven the playoff seeding to be very fucked up.

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Actually, the NBA used to have a 12-team playoff format, very similar to the NFL's playoff format. Remember, in 83, Moses Malone predicted "fo' fo' fo'" when it actually turned out to be "fo' fi' fo'", because the Sixers had a bye in the First Round. Otherwise, he would've predicted "fo' fo' fo' fo'", or at the time, "three fo' fo' fo'" (because the first round didn't get the best-of-seven format until 2003).

What the hell are you talking about?

Bloodline666
05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
What the hell are you talking about?
The 16-team format didn't start until the 1983-1984 season. Not only that, but under the 12-team format they had before the start of the 16-team format, the first round of the playoffs was best-of-3 (meaning you had to win two games to advance to the next round), and the rest of the playoffs was best-of-7. When the 16-team format was introduced, the first round was also changed to best-of-five. Moses Malone's "fo' fo' fo'" prediction was also the last season under the 12-team playoffs format.

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
The 16-team format didn't start until the 1983-1984 season. Not only that, but under the 12-team format they had before the start of the 16-team format, the first round of the playoffs was best-of-3 (meaning you had to win two games to advance to the next round), and the rest of the playoffs was best-of-7. When the 16-team format was introduced, the first round was also changed to best-of-five. Moses Malone's "fo' fo' fo'" prediction was also the last season under the 12-team playoffs format.

So 'fo, fo, fo' means "four, four, four'. Meaning it used to take 12 wins to get a championship?

I get it now. Thank you.

Bloodline666
05-09-2006, 01:19 AM
So 'fo, fo, fo' means "four, four, four'. Meaning it used to take 12 wins to get a championship?

I get it now. Thank you.
If you had a bye in those days, yes. Otherwise, it would take 14 wins.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2006, 01:25 AM
i think there should not be a east west parody playoff seedin bs, why dont they just take the top 16 teams record standing and rank them highest to lowest and play out in the playoff format, instead of the seeding and shit. I dont like the idea of prentenders with barely over .500% in the playoffs.

velik_m
05-09-2006, 02:35 AM
this is one of the stupidest playoff formats anyone proposed.

greyforest
05-09-2006, 03:50 AM
nobody in their right mind would accept a bye system, there's too much money to be made, fucking moron

agreed.

the solution is simple and very close to what happens now: 16 teams, 8 for east and west. seperate east and west until finals.

in each conference, there is no division bullshit, everyone goes in with their league record and:

1st plays 8th seed
2nd plays 7th seed
3rd plays 6th seed
4th plays 5th seed

winner of 1st/8th then plays winner of 3rd/6th
winner of 2nd/7th then plays winner of 4th/5th

finally, two remaining teams play each other for conference final (which will most of the time be 1st and 2nd).

home court advantage determined as it is now, league record.

anyone have a problem with that scenario? didnt think so. so why do we have this retarded "division" crap that no one gives a rats ass about?

personally i wont be surprised if this exact setup is used next season. enough people have complained about how retarded it is currently that it will happen.

velik_m
05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
winner of 1st/8th then plays winner of 3rd/6th
winner of 2nd/7th then plays winner of 4th/5th

you sure?

otherwise i agree - seeding based on record and only record

Wallace ²
05-09-2006, 08:49 AM
All that needs to be said is keep the format like it is now, but rank them from 1-8 depending on their records, not their division.

greyforest
05-09-2006, 01:28 PM
you sure?

well someone has to play the 3rd seed. 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th makes sense doesnt it? 1st already has it pretty cushy having home court and playing 8th seed.

velik_m
05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
well someone has to play the 3rd seed. 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th makes sense doesnt it? 1st already has it pretty cushy having home court and playing 8th seed.

no it doesn't make sense. 1st should play the 4th - otherwise the 3rd seed is penalized for being better than 3rd by having to play the best team in the second round instead of second seed. (besides 2nd vs. 7th isn't cushy?)