PDA

View Full Version : A Mavs fan's thoughts on Game 1

texas84
05-08-2006, 08:58 AM
What a terrific game! If the next 5 or 6 can be this way also, we are in for a treat. I couldn't sit down the final 2 minutes of that game.

Spurs did what they're suppose to do: win at home. Mavs need (well, technically don't need to, but they need to) to win Game 2.

Duncan was out of his mind. How many freakin "and 1's" did he have?? Parker and Ginobili were relatively quiet along with the Spurs bench. SA's difference makers were TD and BB.

Dallas defense was very good. A few too many mental mistakes (stupid fouls) really hurt the outcome. Dampier was tremendous except for foul trouble. I never thought I'd see Dampier straight up block Duncan, but he did. But, doesn't matter, we lost. Dirk needs to (and will, I bet my right testicle on it) play better. Needs to establish himself like Duncan did in Game 1. Josh was our best player. Terry needs to find his rhythm.

Lookin forward to the rest of this series!

101A
05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
...Parker and Ginobili were relatively quiet along with the Spurs bench...

That fact should scare the hell out of Maverick's fan.

Rummpd
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
So is the fact the Spurs tradionally suck on ABC PM games and were probably jet lagged.

Duncan plays like this and the Spurs could sweep the Mavs!

leemajors
05-08-2006, 09:37 AM
What a terrific game! If the next 5 or 6 can be this way also, we are in for a treat. I couldn't sit down the final 2 minutes of that game.

Spurs did what they're suppose to do: win at home. Mavs need (well, technically don't need to, but they need to) to win Game 2.

Duncan was out of his mind. How many freakin "and 1's" did he have?? Parker and Ginobili were relatively quiet along with the Spurs bench. SA's difference makers were TD and BB.

Dallas defense was very good. A few too many mental mistakes (stupid fouls) really hurt the outcome. Dampier was tremendous except for foul trouble. I never thought I'd see Dampier straight up block Duncan, but he did. But, doesn't matter, we lost. Dirk needs to (and will, I bet my right testicle on it) play better. Needs to establish himself like Duncan did in Game 1. Josh was our best player. Terry needs to find his rhythm.

that was the one time duncan didn't get him up in the air first. if duncan stays that aggressive he will continue to get diop and damp in foul trouble.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 10:29 AM
I love when teams without home court advantage say "you did what you were supposed to do" after a home win. Will those people look up after game 7 and say "wait, what happened?"

pache100
05-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I love when teams without home court advantage say "you did what you were supposed to do" after a home win. Will those people look up after game 7 and say "wait, what happened?"

Yes. The fans (some, not all) will have that "Don't they know who we are?" look on their faces, too.

WalterBenitez
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Duncan plays like this and the Spurs could sweep the Mavs!

I hope so baby ... I love Cuban's face after a lost

WalterBenitez
05-08-2006, 10:59 AM

Hey... you forgot two in Spurs' formula :spin

thispego
05-08-2006, 12:04 PM

lol, no love for your top scorer yesterday? poooor stack

boutons_
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
I remember a couple years ago when I heard the Tim especially dislikes day games.

Then he went on to a near quadruple double on Sunday to close the Nets in the 03 Finals. :lol

CIA Tim

mabber
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM

Mav fans should be scared since Manu & Tony didn't have great games??? This is an ignorant statement! Should the Spur fans be scared cuz Jason Terry sucked and they still only won by 2 pts at home? Should the Spur fans be scared cuz Dirk didn't shoot that well, etc. etc. etc.

"No" is the answer to these questions! There will be adjustments made after each game and some players are going to have bad games each game. Every game is it's own entity.

Borosai
05-08-2006, 12:27 PM
I need a match real bad. Lots of wood in my pants.

thispego
05-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I remember a couple years ago when I heard the Tim especially dislikes day games.

Then he went on to a near quadruple double on Sunday to close the Nets in the 03 Finals. :lol

CIA Tim
that wasnt a day game...?

DubMcDub
05-08-2006, 12:41 PM

But I guess the fact that our PG shot under 35% shouldn't scare any Spurs fans. Or the fact that Dirk has already gone for 30 this year against SA, even with Bowen defending him, and it's bound to happen again more than once.

Some Spurs fans are so ridiculous (just like some Mavs fans). That you can claim we should be "scared" that Tony and Manu had quiet games while all the while ignoring that many of our best players did as well is quite laughable.

RON ARTEST
05-08-2006, 12:54 PM
But I guess the fact that our PG shot under 35% shouldn't scare any Spurs fans. Or the fact that Dirk has already gone for 30 this year against SA, even with Bowen defending him, and it's bound to happen again more than once.

Some Spurs fans are so ridiculous (just like some Mavs fans). That you can claim we should be "scared" that Tony and Manu had quiet games while all the while ignoring that many of our best players did as well is quite laughable.
damn i was just thinking earlier how good the mavs would be if they kept antawn jamison. they would have won like 70 games. i know that was hella random but whatever.

Kori Ellis
05-08-2006, 01:03 PM

Well I think the difference in Spurs' fans minds is that Tony and Manu were banged up and very tired. Why did your PG shot 35% and your MVP shoot 40% after six days rest? Rust? Too much defense? Bad day? Why did Dirk only manage one basket in the 4th quarter (and it was a fastbreak dunk)?

We'll see what happens on Tuesday. But it seems much more logical for Spurs' fans to be more optimistic about Tony/Manu being subpar than Mavs' fans about Dirk/JT.

mabber
05-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Well I think the difference in Spurs' fans minds is that Tony and Manu were banged up and very tired. Why did your PG shot 35% and your MVP shoot 40% after six days rest? Rust? Too much defense? Bad day? Why did Dirk only manage one basket in the 4th quarter (and it was a fastbreak dunk)?

We'll see what happens on Tuesday. But it seems much more logical for Spurs' fans to be more optimistic about Tony/Manu being subpar than Mavs' fans about Dirk/JT.

Now there's a stretch of logic :lol Come on Kori, In my short time on this forum, I've come to expect more from you. You've always seemed to be reasonable in your basketball assessments. Why would being tired be a better excuse than being rusty (assuming one or both are even true which I doubt)? Also, Parker had a decent game in my opinion. He didn't score as much as he had been scoring vs. Dallas because Duncan picked up the slack. The Mavs made the decision to have Duncan beat them (bad idea apparently) so they could slow Manu and Parker down a bit. That's all that was and I'm sure things will change in game #2. Bottom line is that I don't think any of this matters. Game #2 will be an entirely different game and some players might play better while some might play worse than game #1.

Kori Ellis
05-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Now there's a stretch of logic :lol Come on Kori, In my short time on this forum, I've come to expect more from you. You've always seemed to be reasonable in your basketball assessments. Why would being tired be a better excuse than being rusty (assuming one or both are even true which I doubt)? Also, Parker had a decent game in my opinion. He didn't score as much as he had been scoring vs. Dallas because Duncan picked up the slack. The Mavs made the decision to have Duncan beat them (bad idea apparently) so they could slow Manu and Parker down a bit. That's all that was and I'm sure things will change in game #2. Bottom line is that I don't think any of this matters. Game #2 will be an entirely different game and some players might play better while some might play worse than game #1.

I'm not comparing "just tired" to "rusty".

I said "banged up and tired" not just tired. Tony could barely walk on Saturday. So, I was impressed with whatever he did on the court Sunday.

Supergirl
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
What should scare Mavs and Mavs fans is that the SPurs shot the ball really poorly - and it had nothing to do with defense, since they missed a lot of wide open 3's and easy dunks and layups - and still won. If the Spurs had made even half those games, it would have been a rout.

Extra Stout
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM

Good post.

zocool16
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
buddy call me when jason terry is an all-star like ginobili and parker

boutons_
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Duncan gets blocked quite a lot.

Duncan's blocks/blocked ratio is somewhat greater than 1. :)

Extra Stout
05-08-2006, 01:28 PM
buddy call me when jason terry is an all-star like ginobili and parkerJason Terry is far superior to Ginobili because of his pure scoring ability but he hasn't gotten an All-Star recognition because of the scheme the Mavericks run except when Devin Harris is on the floor he is the Mavericks second-best player and he is the key to the series because he owns Tony Parker except that the Spurs have no answer for Josh Howard who is the most underrated player in the game and besides none of the Mavericks are really that good except for Dirk Nowitzki which is why he should of won MVP.

I think that covers it.

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
^ the absence of puncuation makes me cry.

SpursWoman
05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
that wasnt a day game...?

Yes it was ... and it was raining, too. :)

zocool16
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
jason terry is far superior to Ginobili? get the fudge out of here, i think we'd have to have a vote on that, obviously my vote would go to this being untrue...

2centsworth
05-08-2006, 01:36 PM
^ the absence of puncuation makes me cry.he was being facetious. He's one of the best writers on the board.

SpursWoman
05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Jason Terry is far superior to Ginobili because of his pure scoring ability but he hasn't gotten an All-Star recognition because of the scheme the Mavericks run except when Devin Harris is on the floor he is the Mavericks second-best player and he is the key to the series because he owns Tony Parker except that the Spurs have no answer for Josh Howard who is the most underrated player in the game and besides none of the Mavericks are really that good except for Dirk Nowitzki which is why he should of won MVP.

I think that covers it.

Got it in one. Sentence. :tu :lol

zocool16
05-08-2006, 01:39 PM
AND also i dont think terry owns parker, what the hell? and josh howard might be underrated but ...the most underrated playier in the game?... and i voted for dirk, lol. i seriously would have.

Mavtek
05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
jason terry is far superior to Ginobili? get the fudge out of here, i think we'd have to have a vote on that, obviously my vote would go to this being untrue...

That's wrong!! Ginobli is a far superior flopper!! That man flops all over the court, I watched Dan Crawford laugh when Dirk touched the man with his forearm and he went flying across the floor. Then Dirk in shock took a wide open jumper that he missed..........

Ginobli is the best flopper in the freaking league, Divac would be proud. If they ever wanted to bring back the 3 stooges Ginobli could easily be the best "Moe" ever.

mabber
05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Terry is a better shooter than Ginobli and that's about it. I'd take Manu in every other category. Ginobli does seem to turn the ball over quite a bit but that assessment is from someone who doesn't see all their games.

Josh Howard is easily the most under-rated player in series as far as what most fans know. The players & coaches certainly don't under-rate him.

pache100
05-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Ginobli does seem to turn the ball over quite a bit but that assessment is from someone who doesn't see all their games.

Not normally. That's a fairly recent development. Until the last 20 or so games of the season and into the playoffs, it usually takes an act of Congress to get the ball out of Ginobili's hands until he aims it for the basket.

J.T.
05-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Mavs fans thinking Game 2 will be entirely different is one of the smartest observations I've seen any of them make. It will be entirely different in that the Spurs will dominate the entire game instead of the 4th quarter. Spurs by 12.

mabber
05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Mavs fans thinking Game 2 will be entirely different is one of the smartest observations I've seen any of them make. It will be entirely different in that the Spurs will dominate the entire game instead of the 4th quarter. Spurs by 12.

That might be the case. My point is that each playoff game is usually totally different than the last one. Coaches will make adjustments to slow down one area/player which usually opens up opportunities for other areas/players.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
That's wrong!! Ginobli is a far superior flopper!! That man flops all over the court, I watched Dan Crawford laugh when Dirk touched the man with his forearm and he went flying across the floor. Then Dirk in shock took a wide open jumper that he missed..........

Ginobli is the best flopper in the freaking league, Divac would be proud. If they ever wanted to bring back the 3 stooges Ginobli could easily be the best "Moe" ever.

I don't really want to get into the whole flopping thing, because I think it's a cop-out. But I will say that if Manu has won the Oscar for flopping, Dirk is among those nominated every year. Breathe on Dirk and the dude starts flailing his arms.

easjer
05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I thought the Spurs played quite poorly, up until the end of the third, and even when they got their shit together in the fourth, they were shooting poorly and unable to convert off of the stops, and their rebounding was shit (no reason for three guys in white to get beat out for a rebound by one guy in blue - too many second chance points allowed). Not having watched lots of Dallas games, I'm unsure whether their poor play in the fourth was our defense kicking in, unlucky shots or just general suckiness/failure to execute in crunch time.

However, Dallas dominated three quarters of the game, rebounded better, converted better. Our starting guards did not play well (for them, anyway) and we had no answer for Stackhouse.

All in all, I don't see much room for improvement by Dallas, but plenty of room for improvement by San Antonio. They change two things - say, better shot selection and rebounding (defensive boards especially), while keeping Tim at a high level (or barring that, substituting more production from either Tony or Manu), and I think we control the entire game and Mavs collapse in the third. I'm not even saying that San Antonio needs to play a perfect game, mind you, just keep high production from one of the top three, with mediocre production from the other two, and fix two of the five or six problems we had and it's a totally different game in the Spurs favor. I honestly don't know where the Mavs can improve (clearly, Dirk can get more involved, but that is predicated on a drop in Bowen's production, which I think somewhat unlikely, but sure it could happen), short of getting more shots to go in, which . . . you don't always control.

I'd be scared if I was a Mavs fan. . . That game was the one I thought they'd win. The Spurs were tired, clearly, ill prepared (outside of their general knowledge of the divison opponet they played four times), and coming off a hard fought series. That was the Mavs game for the taking, and they had it for three quarters. What happened in the fourth, Mavs fans? Was our defense suddenly THAT much better? Were our shots just happening to fall? Did we suddenly want it more? It's clear that in the last two, the Spurs played it cool, while at least two of the Mavs panicked on the floor. Yeah, I'd be at least a little worried as a Mavs fan. I don't see how you can expect that the Spurs will get any worse than that game 1.

DubMcDub
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
But it seems much more logical for Spurs' fans to be more optimistic about Tony/Manu being subpar than Mavs' fans about Dirk/JT.

To you, because you're a Spurs fan.

Probably the most hilarious thing about sports is when people don't/won't even recognize their own biases.

FoxMulder
05-08-2006, 02:09 PM

Maybe a Flopper but also a winner... post anything when Dirk or Jason Terry won something... oh! and Dirk isnīt an angel too... look out for his elbows... Karl Malone can be proud too...

samikeyp
05-08-2006, 02:10 PM

Probably the most hilarious thing about sports is when people don't/won't even recognize their own biases.

and you feel that way because you are a Mavs fan. Bias works both ways.

pache100
05-08-2006, 02:10 PM

The people here, for the most part, give serious props to the Mavs in general and Dirk in particular. I see who is not recognizing their own biases.

DubMcDub
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
and you feel that way because you are a Mavs fan. Bias works both ways.

Thank you for reiterating my own point?

I don't claim to not have biases. Of course I do. But this isn't about that.

This is simply me calling bullshit on someone saying it's "more logical to think that the Spurs players will play better next game". The word "logic" implies objectivity and sound thinking, and her use of it implicates that she believes her opinion, which is no more factually-grounded than mine or any Mavs fan's, is closer to truth. It's not. They're both equally subjective.

leemajors
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM

two words: reggie evans. he drew a flagrant after grabbing someone's nuts.

mabber
05-08-2006, 02:26 PM
I thought the Spurs played quite poorly, up until the end of the third, and even when they got their shit together in the fourth, they were shooting poorly and unable to convert off of the stops, and their rebounding was shit (no reason for three guys in white to get beat out for a rebound by one guy in blue - too many second chance points allowed). Not having watched lots of Dallas games, I'm unsure whether their poor play in the fourth was our defense kicking in, unlucky shots or just general suckiness/failure to execute in crunch time.

However, Dallas dominated three quarters of the game, rebounded better, converted better. Our starting guards did not play well (for them, anyway) and we had no answer for Stackhouse.

All in all, I don't see much room for improvement by Dallas, but plenty of room for improvement by San Antonio. They change two things - say, better shot selection and rebounding (defensive boards especially), while keeping Tim at a high level (or barring that, substituting more production from either Tony or Manu), and I think we control the entire game and Mavs collapse in the third. I'm not even saying that San Antonio needs to play a perfect game, mind you, just keep high production from one of the top three, with mediocre production from the other two, and fix two of the five or six problems we had and it's a totally different game in the Spurs favor. I honestly don't know where the Mavs can improve (clearly, Dirk can get more involved, but that is predicated on a drop in Bowen's production, which I think somewhat unlikely, but sure it could happen), short of getting more shots to go in, which . . . you don't always control.

I'd be scared if I was a Mavs fan. . . That game was the one I thought they'd win. The Spurs were tired, clearly, ill prepared (outside of their general knowledge of the divison opponet they played four times), and coming off a hard fought series. That was the Mavs game for the taking, and they had it for three quarters. What happened in the fourth, Mavs fans? Was our defense suddenly THAT much better? Were our shots just happening to fall? Did we suddenly want it more? It's clear that in the last two, the Spurs played it cool, while at least two of the Mavs panicked on the floor. Yeah, I'd be at least a little worried as a Mavs fan. I don't see how you can expect that the Spurs will get any worse than that game 1.

I thought both teams played well defensively and a couple of Spurs players along with a couple Mavs players didn't have good offensive games. I think the teams are about as equal as two teams can be in regards to talent but that the Spurs have that intangible advantage of having, not only been in tight playoff situations many more times, but having success in those situations. In the end, 1-2 of the Mav players are going to have to be very clutch at the end of a couple of these games for them to win the series. The Spurs aren't going to give it away...that's for sure. I'd be shocked if this series doesn't go at least 6 games although anything can happen.

LakerHater0823
05-08-2006, 02:28 PM
If I was a Mavs fan I would be pissed at Stackhouse for not taking the ball to the basket in the last few seconds of the game. He had the lane wide open and decides to go back to the 3 pt line to take the shot. It could have gone to OT and then who knows what happens. Oh well we now have the lead and I hope the Spurs really start to push it. I would be worried if I was a mavs fan b/c my PG was off for an entire week, resting and watching game tape of nothing but the Spurs, and he couldn't shoot better then 35%. Same for Dirk you know.

mabber
05-08-2006, 02:34 PM
If I was a Mavs fan I would be pissed at Stackhouse for not taking the ball to the basket in the last few seconds of the game. He had the lane wide open and decides to go back to the 3 pt line to take the shot. It could have gone to OT and then who knows what happens. Oh well we now have the lead and I hope the Spurs really start to push it. I would be worried if I was a mavs fan b/c my PG was off for an entire week, resting and watching game tape of nothing but the Spurs, and he couldn't shoot better then 35%. Same for Dirk you know.

I just wish Stack would tell us what he was thinking. I haven't heard him talk yet. Didn't make a lot of sense that he did that but the Mavs wouldn't have even had a chance to tie or win if he hadn't had the game he had.

LakerHater0823
05-08-2006, 02:39 PM
True Stack was on fire. Duncan was being boxed out and Ginobili was out of position so Stack could have dunked it really. It happens though because Ginobili did kind of the same thing when playing SAC turning it over in the last few seconds instead of just holding the ball. Well on to tues.

J.T.
05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
That shot will probably fuck Stack up for the rest of the series like the TO did to Manu in the Kings series.

SpursWoman
05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Thank you for reiterating my own point?

I don't claim to not have biases. Of course I do. But this isn't about that.

This is simply me calling bullshit on someone saying it's "more logical to think that the Spurs players will play better next game". The word "logic" implies objectivity and sound thinking, and her use of it implicates that she believes her opinion, which is no more factually-grounded than mine or any Mavs fan's, is closer to truth. It's not. They're both equally subjective.

You know Tony Parker shot 54.8% over an 82 game season, right? That he's carried this Spurs team to 63 wins this season?

I'd say it's pretty logical to assume that he's not going to be stuck at 39% shooting once he actually has some rest and time for his hip & leg to recover. You're not thinking logically if you don't think the same way...unless you also believe Diop >= Ben Wallace.

I'm pretty sure Dallas' coaching staff hasn't written him off yet. :lol

CubanMustGo
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I just wish Stack would tell us what he was thinking. I haven't heard him talk yet. Didn't make a lot of sense that he did that but the Mavs wouldn't have even had a chance to tie or win if he hadn't had the game he had.

Stack kept the Mavs in the game and figured he had to take charge since Dirk was puckerboy the entire second half. He got caught looking at Ginobili after the two Gino tips and didn't see the open lane to his left. Between the disruption of Dirk stumbling and Gino tipping the ball he lost track of time. So he backed away to try and get some space, was hounded, and threw up a desperation shot. And it wasn't all THAT far off from being the game winner all things considered.

Shit happens, Bowen and Gino made some plays and Stackhouse just panicked a bit. Gino threw away game 3 against the Kings and we all jumped all over his ass that day, too.

mabber
05-08-2006, 03:03 PM
You know Tony Parker shot 54.8% over an 82 game season, right? That he's carried this Spurs team to 63 wins this season?

I'd say it's pretty logical to assume that he's not going to be stuck at 39% shooting once he actually has some rest and time for his hip & leg to recover. You're not thinking logically if you don't think the same way...unless you also believe Diop >= Ben Wallace.

I'm pretty sure Dallas' coaching staff hasn't written him off yet. :lol

I'm pretty sure you missed the poster's point, but no worries as I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter.

mabber
05-08-2006, 03:07 PM
That shot will probably fuck Stack up for the rest of the series like the TO did to Manu in the Kings series.

Fortunately, Stackhouse has already forgotten about it. He has that shooter's mentality. He's a tough dude. The Mavs are SOOO much better in a number of different ways with him replacing Finley in the lineup. And that statement is coming from a huge Finley fan.

island_dude
05-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Ginobili is obviously a far superior flopper!

SpursWoman
05-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you missed the poster's point, but no worries as I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter.

No, I understood it precisely. I just don't think it's illogical at all to assume that the Spurs will play better when they have some rest and are actually able to prepare for their opponent, as opposed to a well rested, prepared Mavs team playing better by finding their nuts. Because history has shown that they have, as of yet, been unable to do so when it matters.

:spin

leemajors
05-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Fortunately, Stackhouse has already forgotten about it. He has that shooter's mentality. He's a tough dude. The Mavs are SOOO much better in a number of different ways with him replacing Finley in the lineup. And that statement is coming from a huge Finley fan.

stack comes off the bench, finley started. i thought howard or griffin had replaced him as a starter, or christie at the beginning of the year.

mabber
05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
stack comes off the bench, finley started. i thought howard or griffin had replaced him as a starter, or christie at the beginning of the year.

Yeah, you're right but Stack replaced the scoring role that Finley had. That's what I meant.

leemajors
05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
aight.