PDA

View Full Version : Was Stack trying to be The Hero?

Fabbs
05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
We are secure in our Spurshood, so we can talk about things like these.

After Manu deflected the pass, ball went high in the air. Stack won the "jump ball" and came down with it. Manu looks like he is still getting his balance after jumping up and trying to get the "jump ball". Manu is on the halfcourt side (right side) of Stack. Looks like Stack has a completely clear path towoards the hoop as Dampier had Duncan pinned on the other side of the key and other Spurs are occupied on D with other Mavs. Stack at the very least can move in 6-7-8 feet for the 8-10 foot jumper.

Instead he retreats to the arc by walking/dribbling backwords. Allows Manu to regain balance and smother him. Ballgame.

Was Stack having visions of being the Heroic Game Winning ThreeBall shooter?
Instead of taking the obviously much easier two?

Shank
05-08-2006, 09:45 AM
He admitted to not knowing how much time was left on the clock and didn't feel he could have made that move to the basket for the easier 2.

fyatuk
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
He admitted to not knowing how much time was left on the clock and didn't feel he could have made that move to the basket for the easier 2.

Yeah, cause taking two steps to the basket and shooting an easy two takes so much more time than taking two steps back to try a difficult 3...

Dude had a brain fart, plain and simple.

Hook Dem
05-08-2006, 09:51 AM
I call bullshit !!!!! He knew exactly what he was doing. He was trying to dethrone Dirk as hero ! Someone said he would prove to be the Spurs most valuable player. RIGHT ON !!!!!!!!! :lol

Supergirl
05-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Of course he was. He was shooting lights out, and thought he was Michael Jordan, or even Kobe or Lebron, for that matter.

Dude is a dumbass. I wouldn't trust his decisionmaking with the ball for anything - much the way I feel about NVE. Their both very talented shooters, but knuckleheads who only know how to look for their own shots.

Hook Dem
05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Of course he was. He was shooting lights out, and thought he was Michael Jordan, or even Kobe or Lebron, for that matter.

Dude is a dumbass. I wouldn't trust his decisionmaking with the ball for anything - much the way I feel about NVE. Their both very talented shooters, but knuckleheads who only know how to look for their own shots.
Tell us how you really feel ! :lol :lol :lol

Extra Stout
05-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Stack has a history of making boneheaded decisions under pressure.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Stack should just nut the hell up and say he was trying to erase the embarassment of is career in one fell swoop.

LB7
05-08-2006, 10:36 AM
We have had quite a few game winners this year and Stack hit one of them. He can shoot in the clutch, but it is obvious from that game that he let the pressure get to him and forced up a terrible shot when he should have gone for the short 2. He can make game-winners no doubt, but that was a very very bad decision on his part yesterday.

coopdogg3
05-08-2006, 10:38 AM
But give props for Manu's killer defense. Hope you noticed how Stack faked a 3, but Manu refused to leave his feet - which could have caused an easy foul with Stack shooting 3 free free throws. Instead Manu stayed right with him, on his feet, until Stack finally had to shoot that lame 3, and Manu had a hand right in his face. Just brilliant defense by Manu IMO. But yeah, Stack should have just driven right to the basket.

JamStone
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
It was not the smartest thing Stack could have done. But, it's not necessarily the dumbest either.

In the regular season, many teams down two points would rather take a 3-pointer to win the game rather than a two pointer to tie, because the hometeam has a distinct advantage in overtime.

The problem with that is that it wasn't a regular season game. Every playoff game is important to win, no matter what. And, if a team has a chance to tie, that team should try to tie, even if it means going to overtime on the road.

Stack definitely was trying to play hero. Had he made the 3-pointer, he would have been. Manu played amazing defense in order for Stack to take a near impossible shot.

Bad decision on Stack's part. But, I understand what he was thinking, even if he doesn't admit that and even if I don't agree with it.

SAGambler
05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
According to fans on the Pistons board....That was just Stack being Stack...I guess they saw enough of that when he was in Detroit....

leemajors
05-08-2006, 11:25 AM
i hope stack has the ball at the end of every game

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
We have had quite a few game winners this year and Stack hit one of them. He can shoot in the clutch, but it is obvious from that game that he let the pressure get to him and forced up a terrible shot when he should have gone for the short 2. He can make game-winners no doubt, but that was a very very bad decision on his part yesterday.

believing a girl when she says she can't get pregnant is a bad decision, this was a deliberate attempt to put some limelight on himself, and it backfired.

Darrin
05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I think he's lying. More than that, I hope he's lying. To not know the amount of time on the clock is an unforgivable offense.

Erase the embarassment of his career? I think he was a guy who was trying to win a game. Was it a low-percentage shot? Yes. But I think that's more about the Spurs defense rather than Stack's offense.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Wasn't the three that Stack tried what the play was designed to create? He was standing in that spot waiting for the pass when Manu tipped the ball. After watching the replay I don't think he was thinking "I'm going to be a hero" as much as he was thinking "This is what we drew up in the huddle."

Dunc
05-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Can't imagine they drew up a play involving a cross-court pass. He was so well tied up I couldn't believe he didn't at least try to find the second option (and they had enough time before the play started to have another option, right? i think the ball was inbounded with like 10 seconds or something on the clock). Just trying to be a hero, I suspect.

Darrin
05-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Wasn't the three that Stack tried what the play was designed to create? He was standing in that spot waiting for the pass when Manu tipped the ball. After watching the replay I don't think he was thinking "I'm going to be a hero" as much as he was thinking "This is what we drew up in the huddle."

That's why he's a second-tier talent. It has nothing to do with his 'immaturity.' The play broke down, and he didn't play great recognition basketball.

boutons_
05-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I wonder if Manu was having visions of 0.4 secs again? :lol

Stack was killing us with his mid-range jumper.

Why not try one more, go for the tie, avoid the loss, and be a hero?

Thanks for trying 3G for the W, and being the goat.

Not courage, not clutch, but boneheadedness.

travis2
05-08-2006, 11:45 AM

No, Avery said the play was not to go for 3...

I thought I read somewhere that Stackhouse was supposed to be the second option...and was supposed to break towards the basket before the pass...but that Dirk passed out early...

Jimcs50
05-08-2006, 11:48 AM

I thought I read somewhere that Stackhouse was supposed to be the second option...and was supposed to break towards the basket before the pass...but that Dirk passed out early...

The play was for a 3 pointer, do not let AJ pull the wool over your eyes.

He is just trying to sell the Spurs a bill of goods, so the Spurs will play for the 2 next time, while they hit a 3 to beat us, unexpectedly.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-08-2006, 11:49 AM

Cool. I didn't catch any of AJ interviews on the matter yet. I'll believe the Mavs coach ahead of my thoughts on a replay. In that case, Stack made a dumb decision.

travis2
05-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Cool. I didn't catch any of AJ interviews on the matter yet. I'll believe the Mavs coach ahead of my thoughts on a replay. In that case, Stack made a dumb decision.

Or the Mavs coach ahead of Jim...:D

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I think he's lying. More than that, I hope he's lying. To not know the amount of time on the clock is an unforgivable offense.

Erase the embarassment of his career? I think he was a guy who was trying to win a game. Was it a low-percentage shot? Yes. But I think that's more about the Spurs defense rather than Stack's offense.
The only reason it was about the Spurs defense is because Stack dribbled right into the teeth of it instead of pressing his advantage. Were you a fan of the Pistons when he was there?

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Or the Mavs coach ahead of Jim...:D

Well, I think I was typing my response while Jim posted his. I believe that AJ didn't draw it up looking for a three but probably should have. The Spurs are deadly in OT playoff games the last two years.

SAGambler
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Wasn't the three that Stack tried what the play was designed to create

Not according to AJ...

Taco
05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I think is was a called play.

If you look the mav's were trying to suck the D to the middle, Stack was standing @ the 3 pt line all along.

To me it almost worked, if not for a great tip from Manu. After Stack gets the ball he goes back to the 3 pt line

it was a called play, if you recorded the game check it out.

Hook Dem
05-08-2006, 07:04 PM
I think it was a designed play for Dirk to shoot the jumper, but he got locked down and passed it to Stack. Stack had a path to the basket for a 2 and possibly a foul. He definitely wanted to be the hero and sink the 3. Nuff said!

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I think it was a designed play for Dirk to shoot the jumper, but he got locked down and passed it to Stack. Stack had a path to the basket for a 2 and possibly a foul. He definitely wanted to be the hero and sink the 3. Nuff said!

No doubt about it.