PDA

View Full Version : THAT phrase

charmie21
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
do you have that phrase during a game which makes you cringe everytime you hear it? I mean, commentators says something like that sometimes, right?

Mine's this: "over duncan..."

Everytime someone shoots over Timmy, and the commentator says that, it just irks me.. i don't know why though..

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
do you have that phrase during a game which makes you cringe everytime you hear it? I mean, commentators says something like that sometimes, right?

Mine's this: "over duncan..."

Everytime someone shoots over Timmy, and the commentator says that, it just irks me.. i don't know why though..
I like that someone thinks a guy deserves extra credit just for scoring when Timmy is the defender.

midgetonadonkey
05-08-2006, 12:07 PM
"Give it to the big fella."

A-Train
05-08-2006, 12:09 PM
This postseason? "Vulnerable".

Pistons < Spurs
05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
"seated next to me for tonights game is Bill Walton." :madrun :madrun :madrun

I can't stand him. I hate any game that he is involved with.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Referring to games three and five in tied series as "pivotal". It's not that they aren't pivotal it's just that seems to be the only word that commentators ever use. Crucial, important, momentous, etc. are all acceptable adjectives. Get a thesaurus dude.

IX_Equilibrium
05-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Steven A. Smith

DarrinS
05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
"Throoooooooow it doooooooown, big man! Throw it doooooooown!"

Bill Walton (usually said after one of Shaq's WWF moves to the rim, followed by, you guessed it, a dunk).

Sek-cMan
05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I hate the reference to "in the league". We have even adapted a drinking game from it. Everytime someone IE.. Sean Elliott says "x" is the best "in the league" "at doing y" we have to take a shot , or sip of what we are drinking...oops i said it ..got to take a shot..dammitt

Dunc
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
My new most hated phrase is "we are all witnesses".

DarkReign
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
This isnt an announcer thing, its a player thing.

They always say "aggressive". "Just wanted to come out and stay aggressive." "...just being aggressive on defense."

Just bothers me for no apparent reason. Maybe its because it is totally over-used.

nkdlunch
05-08-2006, 12:26 PM
My new most hated phrase is "we are all witnesses".

yes!!!! me too

Witnesses to what?? a 2nd round massacre of the Cavs?

SpursWoman
05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Anyone going or doing anything "backdoor" on/to anyone else.

I don't know if cringe is the right word for my reaction to it, though. :drunk

clubalien
05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
This isn't a phrase I hate. It is however the best phrase I have ever heard. It was by Rasheed Wallace, "Both teams played hard"

so what did you think about this here mav spur game, "well both teams played hard"

Phenomanul
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
For some reason after SW's post above ^^^ The only word I could think of was 'voluptuous'..... :angel

foodie2
05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
"It's time for Pop to give Timmy a blow".

"If we just come out and play our game, we should be fine".

Dunc
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
^Amazing, we seem to have thought of the same word.

thispego
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Anyone going or doing anything "backdoor" on/to anyone else.

spurswoman you are dirrrty dirty girl :tu

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't know if happy is the right word for my reaction to this post coupled with your avatar. :)

Back to the topic: Any Nike ad campaign slogan typically turns my stomach.

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2006, 12:52 PM
But that wasn't even Nowitzki's final stumble. As he left the postgame interview podium after telling everyone how he wouldn't score 35 in the series or get any open looks, he nearly tripped over a chair while exiting stage right.

It shouldn't surprise anyone if it was Bowen who put that chair there.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060508
:flag: :flag: :rollin :rollin :cheer

i read THAT PHRASE and i just had to share !!:rollin

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
"It's time for Pop to give Timmy a blow".

"If we just come out and play our game, we should be fine".
:angel

Dunc
05-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah, giving a guy a blow is another thing that bugs me when announcers say it. Are they so old that they don't realize what they're saying? Please. That's a concern. (whoa, I HAVE been listening to way too much Walton.)

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 12:57 PM
The only thing that's really annoyed me is Mark Jones repeatedly referring to the Pistons as "the champs".

JamStone
05-08-2006, 01:00 PM
"World" championship.

It's not a "World" championship, even if there are international players in the league.

It's an "NBA" championship, or if you want to get regional in the title, it's a "Continental" championship. It's just not a "World" championship.

Also, the phrase, "GOING AFTER LOOSE BALLS" is somewhat disturbing, especially in light of the Reggie Evans incident.

LilMissSPURfect
05-08-2006, 01:01 PM
The only thing that's really annoyed me is Mark Jones repeatedly referring to the Pistons as "the champs".
it didn't bother me till now....all this time i thought he was saying something else.......... :spin :oops :lol :lol :angel :madrun

Dunc
05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
^That's another one that bugs me. I think I heard the Spurs actually had their banners redesigned to say NBA champions instead of world champs. That was pretty classy, I thought.

JamStone
05-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I forgot where I read this, but someone on some messageboard made a really good point about Dwyane Wade's "fall seven times, get up eight" campaign. If you fall down seven times, THE ABSOLUTE MOST times you could get up is SEVEN TIMES. In order to get up eight times, you would have to fall down EIGHT TIMES. Logically, the phrase doesn't make any sense.

pache100
Except for that ol' Walton standard, "HOOOOORRRRRRIBLE!"?

I'd have to say "dynasty". I am so frickin' tired of hearing about how this team had a dynasty and that one had a dynasty, but the Spurs are not a dynasty because they have not repeated. Give me a frickin' break already! That is a term SOMEBODY MADE UP. We don't need a dynasty by anyone else's definition. DRob has two rings. Timmy has three. Tony, Manu, and Bruce all have two. All with the Spurs. If that's not enough to be a "dynasty", we sure as hell don't need to be one. Repeat schmepeat.

Dunc
How true. And have you ever noticed how he never lands on his feet when he goes up for a dunk?

Kori Ellis
05-08-2006, 01:05 PM
I forgot where I read this, but someone on some messageboard made a really good point about Dwyane Wade's "fall seven times, get up eight" campaign. If you fall down seven times, THE ABSOLUTE MOST times you could get up is SEVEN TIMES. In order to get up eight times, you would have to fall down EIGHT TIMES. Logically, the phrase doesn't make any sense.

What if you start out already on the ground? :angel

pache100
05-08-2006, 01:06 PM
What if you start out already on the ground? :angel

That's what I was thinking. :oops

JamStone
05-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Kori, I want to respond to your point, but the boobs got me hypnotized. I try to avoid it from happening, but the changing bras are too hypnotic.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
That's what I was thinking. :oopsMaybe they are talking about when he gets up in the morning. "Go to bed seven times, get up eight" would then be very confusing.

Despot
05-08-2006, 01:10 PM
"Tim is on the floor holding his ankle"

"Timmy just got poked in the eye"

"Spurs give up the offensive board"

"NVE misses the 30ft shot with 21 seconds left on the clock"

Technically I know they are not phrases, but I have gotten so used to hearing them they qualify as phrases to me.

Kori Ellis
05-08-2006, 01:12 PM
As for the topic, I don't really have any phrases that bug me in broadcasts. I can somehow tune out the announcers just like I tune out commercials. I don't hear them at all. I only pay attention to what the announcers are saying if I'm trying to get clarification on something that happened.

Despot
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM

I thought about that too, maybe he was stretching before he fell down the first time? Or maybe they are counting him getting up out of bed?

pache100
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM
As for the topic, I don't really have any phrases that bug me in broadcasts. I can somehow tune out the announcers just like I tune out commercials. I don't hear them at all. I only pay attention to what the announcers are saying if I'm trying to get clarification on something that happened.

I wish I could do that with Walton.

Darrin
05-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Also, the phrase, "GOING AFTER LOOSE BALLS" is somewhat disturbing, especially in light of the Reggie Evans incident.

"Backdoor cut" is the one that gets me. Ouch.

zocool16
05-08-2006, 01:28 PM
i like it when that guy that called the lakers-suns game 4 says 'bang!!!' when a big shot is hit. but it does get annoyin sometimes when he says it too much in just one game. like it loses that special effect. but overall i love it when he says BANG!. mmm then i dislike whatever the hell gregg anthony has to say about the spurs cuz its usually something on the verge of negativity

foodie2
05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Ooh, I just thought of another one. I hate the Miami Heat announcer: "Dwyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn ne Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd ddde." He does it with all the other players too, but for some reason that one just pisses me off.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
^That's another one that bugs me. I think I heard the Spurs actually had their banners redesigned to say NBA champions instead of world champs. That was pretty classy, I thought.

You're right about that:

Spurs Change Banners (http://www.woai.com/news/news_commentary/story.aspx?content_id=4C21F9C2-526F-4912-9F7A-DBF64D35B984)

pache100
05-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh, hell! I just thought of the one I hope I have to dread in the near future...."DEEEEEEEEEEETROIT BAAAASKET-BAAAALLLL!" I didn't hear that once while I was watching the game yesterday (although, I admit, I did not see the whole game)...ai-yi-yi! Not looking forward to that at all.

cheguevara
05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Anything coming out of Walton's mouth.

Sasha
05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
But that wasn't even Nowitzki's final stumble. As he left the postgame interview podium after telling everyone how he wouldn't score 35 in the series or get any open looks, he nearly tripped over a chair while exiting stage right.

It shouldn't surprise anyone if it was Bowen who put that chair there.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060508
:flag: :flag: :rollin :rollin :cheer

i read THAT PHRASE and i just had to share !!:rollin

That's perfect. :elephant

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Ooh, I just thought of another one. I hate the Miami Heat announcer: "Dwyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn ne Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd ddde." He does it with all the other players too, but for some reason that one just pisses me off.
I think he used to be with Orlando back when Shaq was there. Whenever there was a dunk he'd go SLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM. and when there was a three he'd go THHHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. It was really annoying when the all-star game was in Orlando, because he'd do that shit on one end and there'd be a dunk or a three on the other end before he was finished.

On a related note but different sport, I hate when a pitcher hits a home run and somebody says he's "helping his own cause". Who, when hitting a home run, doesn't help his own cause?

J.T.
05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I hate the Pistons retarded ass arena announcer Mason and his ridiculous player intros. Don't quit your day job.

M-M-M-M-M-MASON!

SHUT THE F-F-F-F-F-F-FUCK UP!

degenerate_gambler
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
"Step up", "stepped up" or "stepping up"...or any other variation of this tired ass cliche.

phyzik
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
mine?

"And the referees for tonight.... Bennett Salvatore, Dick Bavetta and Violet Palmer"

Kamnik
05-08-2006, 05:34 PM
This isnt an announcer thing, its a player thing.

They always say "aggressive". "Just wanted to come out and stay aggressive." "...just being aggressive on defense."

Just bothers me for no apparent reason. Maybe its because it is totally over-used.

+1

ShoogarBear
05-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I can't believe nobody has said anything about Marv Albert and "He served up a facial!"

zocool16
05-08-2006, 05:54 PM
deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettrrooooooooit basket baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll...

Obstructed_View
05-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I can't believe nobody has said anything about Marv Albert and "He served up a facial!"
It's Marv. He actually means what it sounds like.

aaronstampler
05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Back when the Warriors were decent in the early 90s and I really hated them, their announcer always said this one annoying thing that made me cringe..."He stops, he pops, it drops!" This was usually in the middle of a 20-4 run against the Spurs or something.

Nowadays, I don't hate much... the Detroit PA guy is a complete ass. Just an embarrassment to humanity. And Walton is pretty annoying. I particularly didn't care for his 45 minute straight Manu rip in the first half.

greyforest
05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
someone posted it before, but what i dont like is that when a team wins the NBA championship they are "world champions".

WTF?

how can someone winning the NATIONAL basketball association championship be considered a world champion? is it because there is one canadian team? wow woopty freakin do, why isn't it the international basketball association then?

spurs are NATIONAL champions. our NATIONAL basketball league is the most prestigious in the world, certainly, but it is still NATIONAL nontheless.

tw05baller
05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
i hate it when Bill Land on the local broadcast goes "OHH MAMMA!" and corny phrases like that after a dunk

and also when sean elliot says "he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar." i mean wtf?

Reggie Miller
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
"He's playing within himself."

First, it sounds vaguely vulgar, like maybe we shouldn't be watching him play within himself. Second, this is a contact sport; wouldn't he want to play "without" occasionally? Third, it says absolutely nothing (e.g. "tremendous upside potential").

Thank God even sports announcers figured it out and don't use it much these days...

I have bigger pet peeves, but others got there first.

SANANTOJAMES
05-08-2006, 09:42 PM
"throw It Dooown Big Man"

-bill Walton

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-08-2006, 11:13 PM
I hate the Pistons retarded ass arena announcer Mason and his ridiculous player intros. Don't quit your day job.

M-M-M-M-M-MASON!

SHUT THE F-F-F-F-F-F-FUCK UP!

Something tells me this guy isnt smart enough to hold any other job.

Dunc
05-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Lol, I absolutely fucking love Mason. The man rocks. Another thing I hate is what the Raptors TV guy Chuck Swersky (whom I personally enjoy, except for this saying of his) whenever the Raps have a game won, he says "break out the salami and cheese, mama, this baby's over!" I don't get it, and it bugs me, and I wish he would stop it.

J.T.
05-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Mason is cool until Detroit makes the Finals two years in a row and it takes 20 minutes to introduce their starting 5 each game.

Dunc
05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Just wait til 9:20 to turn on the tv then :)

Reggie Miller
05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Another thing I hate is what the Raptors TV guy Chuck Swersky (whom I personally enjoy, except for this saying of his) whenever the Raps have a game won, he says "break out the salami and cheese, mama, this baby's over!" I don't get it, and it bugs me, and I wish he would stop it.

Maybe he's thinking, "I get to say this so rarely, no one will ever even ask what it means...HAHAHAHA (diabolical laughter)."

If I announced for the Raptors, I would be desparate for ways to amuse myself. I'd probably try some deeply weird stuff on the air, or start playing "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" with the crowd...

Dunc
05-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Which reminds me, what's the name of that guy who does the Spurs PA? I swear to God his voice drives me insane. He's just about the only thing I don't like about the Spurs, in all honesty.

J.T.
05-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Which reminds me, what's the name of that guy who does the Spurs PA? I swear to God his voice drives me insane. He's just about the only thing I don't like about the Spurs, in all honesty.

Stan Kelley? Don't worry I hate him too, but he's infinitely more interesting than some other loser announcers. Mason's announcing during the game is ok, but its the player intros that drive me nuts. So does the Deeeeeeeeeeetroit Basketbaaaaaaaaaall.

Dunc
05-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Cleveland's guy is horrible too. He is trying to be a rip-off on Mason, but he does it horribly. Lol, I remember a game the Pistons played against Bobcats in like Feb where the Pistons turned it over and the Bobcats PA guy was like "say it with me fans: Bobcats Basketball!" I just about pissed myself laughing. It was awesome.

zocool16
05-09-2006, 02:03 AM
i love the spurs PA announcer.

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-09-2006, 02:11 AM
mine?

"And the referees for tonight.... Bennett Salvatore, Dick Bavetta and Violet Palmer"

Don't forget about Steve Javie.

Dre_7
05-09-2006, 02:37 AM
I personally like Mason. Hope I dont have to hear him in the finals, but like him none the less. :lol

kidd
05-09-2006, 06:16 AM
"Throoooooooow it doooooooown, big man! Throw it doooooooown!"

Bill Walton (usually said after one of Shaq's WWF moves to the rim, followed by, you guessed it, a dunk).

:lol

kidd
05-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Any phrase by the Net's Coach, Lawrence Frank. I swear to God, he can single handedly kill a press conference. You see Pat Riley go up, and he whines and bitches about the refs... thats entertainment. Shaq goes up and acts like his dumbass self... Iverson goes up and does his "practice" standup routine... ugh. I wish Lawrence wasn't so boring :(

kidd
05-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Oh yeah and "the best team in the league" when referring to the Pistons. The are what, 1 win above the Spurs? And they aren't the defending champs. I don't know why, but that reallllly annoys me.

kidd
05-09-2006, 06:22 AM

"Fall down 7 times, get 7 whistles" would make more sense.

foodie2
05-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Here's a little piece of esoterica that bothers me no end, and it seems like it has been adopted across the board by sports announcers:

"If I'm Popovich, I take out Bowen while Nowitzski is out."

"If I'm Manu, I take it to the hole."

Anyone who has ever studied the language (any language) knows that they are completely dropping the subjunctive tense from their speech. "If I'm Popovich" implies that you might be Popovich, and of course it should be "If I were Popovich". Etc.

Since I noticed this the first time (Sean Elliott is particularly bad about saying this) I have noticed it everywhere--and it seems to only be sports announcers.

pache100
05-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Here's a little piece of esoterica that bothers me no end, and it seems like it has been adopted across the board by sports announcers:

"If I'm Popovich, I take out Bowen while Nowitzski is out."

"If I'm Manu, I take it to the hole."

Anyone who has ever studied the language (any language) knows that they are completely dropping the subjunctive tense from their speech. "If I'm Popovich" implies that you might be Popovich, and of course it should be "If I were Popovich". Etc.

Since I noticed this the first time (Sean Elliott is particularly bad about saying this) I have noticed it everywhere--and it seems to only be sports announcers.

Poetic license.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 08:29 AM
"Fall down 7 times, get 7 whistles" would make more sense.
How about "Fall down seven times, whine for 8 whistles."

kidd
05-09-2006, 10:26 AM
How about "Fall down seven times, whine for 8 whistles."

Yah. You guys are lucky that you don't have to play against a team that bitches after every play. Its really pissing me off now... first it was the Pacers, who complained after every game, and constantly made innuendo at the bad officiating (not to mention that they were calling their teammates out). Now I have to put up with the Heat and Wade/Shaq/Zo/Riley whining. Wade gets 20+ fta in the game and yet he still manages to find a way to whine about calls.... its very annoying to watch these stars get whistled just because of their status. Hell, even Carter gets a bunch of bs calls and that pisses me off too. Oh well, this is way off topic :(

bull62400
05-09-2006, 10:45 AM
i really dont like the spurs theme song, its really out dated "yall ready for this?!"

SpursWoman
05-09-2006, 10:53 AM
i love the spurs PA announcer.

I'll never understand the hate people have for Stan Kelly...especially their vehemence about it ... I've heard so many other seriously terrible announcers. He's fine.

pache100
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I'll never understand the hate people have for Stan Kelly...especially their vehemence about it ... I've heard so many other seriously terrible announcers. He's fine.

:tu

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-09-2006, 11:01 AM
and also when sean elliot says "he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar." i mean wtf?

That sounds like something Sean might've "borrowed" from Chick Hearn.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Yah. You guys are lucky that you don't have to play against a team that bitches after every play. Its really pissing me off now... first it was the Pacers, who complained after every game, and constantly made innuendo at the bad officiating (not to mention that they were calling their teammates out). Now I have to put up with the Heat and Wade/Shaq/Zo/Riley whining. Wade gets 20+ fta in the game and yet he still manages to find a way to whine about calls.... its very annoying to watch these stars get whistled just because of their status. Hell, even Carter gets a bunch of bs calls and that pisses me off too. Oh well, this is way off topic :(
Timmy's been whining a lot more this year, and I think he's actually paid the price for it. Sunday was the first time he's gotten some calls in a while. The Spurs had to play Denver, Seattle and Phoenix in a row last year. Until you play those teams, you have no idea how good the Nets have it.

san antonio spurs
05-09-2006, 01:51 PM
the raptors commentators saying: "bring out the umbrellas fellas, it's raining 3's " after every 3pointer.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

zocool16
05-09-2006, 02:24 PM

the kings were whiny

Mrs.Tlong
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
"Honey, I'm working late tonight." :(

Dunc
05-09-2006, 02:34 PM

I think it's his voice. He might do a great job, but his voice makes me cringe.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I think it's his voice. He might do a great job, but his voice makes me cringe.
I thought he had parkinson's. He sounds like Katherine Hepburn.

DarkReign
05-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I dont care one way or the other about team announcers. Never noticed anyone before Mason.

If he is pissing of the opposing teams fanbase, must be doing something right. Because folks in Auburn Hills love that shit.

Spurs announcer....he reminds me of Bud Lynch here in Detroit. Too old and outdated. Sorry Bud.

Dunc
05-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I thought he had parkinson's. He sounds like Katherine Hepburn.

Maybe that's it. You can't just sound like that without a good reason.