PDA

View Full Version : Warriors' Claxton wants to jump-start his career

ducks
10-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Warriors' Claxton wants to jump-start his career

By Marcus Thompson II, CONTRA COSTA TIMES

LA JOLLA - For the second consecutive offseason, after it appeared he was in line for a starting job with the Warriors, Speedy Claxton finds himself behind a higher-paid, more renowned point guard on the depth chart.

First it was Nick Van Exel, whom the Warriors traded for less than a month after signing Claxton to a reported three-year, $9.9 million deal in July 2003 to replace departed starter Gilbert Arenas.

Now it's Derek Fisher, who was signed to a reported six-year, $37 million deal in July after Claxton outplayed oft-injured Van Exel last season.

"I wanted to be the starting point," Claxton said after Tuesday's evening practice at the Recreation IntraMural Athletic Complex on the campus of UC San Diego, where the Warriors are holding training camp through Saturday. "I'm not going to lie about it. I did. But it didn't work out like that. I will still continue to play as hard as I can. I got to start a lot of games last year, and I think I proved I can be a starter."

Chris Mullin, the Warriors' first-year executive vice president of basketball operations, said the signing of Fisher was more about adding talent than it was a lack of faith in Claxton. The move was consistent with his pattern of creating depth and versatility at every position.

"(Acquiring) talent is a good thing," Mullin said. "There's nothing wrong with competition."

Despite being only 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, Claxton has shown he can be a force with starter's minutes.

Starting in place of Allen Iverson, who missed the final 14 games of the 2001-02 season with a broken left hand, Claxton averaged 14 points over the final four regular-season games as the Philadelphia 76ers clinched the sixth seed -- and a playoff spot -- in the Eastern Conference.

He started 19 consecutive games last season in place of an injured Van Exel. His averages in that span: 34.3 minutes, 15.6 points, 5.9 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 2.32 steals.

"I know what I'm capable of doing," Claxton said. "I've got the utmost confidence in myself. I've just got to get that chance. Once I get on the court, I'm going to be productive."

Claxton said he harbors no ill will toward the Warriors, in part because he is so used to having to prove himself. He also said he understands the Warriors' signing of Fisher (Van Exel was traded to Portland four days after Fisher signed with the Warriors).

First off, Claxton said the Warriors "can use all the good players we can get." Second, he said his history of injuries made it necessary to add depth.

Claxton has missed significant time since being a first-round draft choice out of Hofstra in 2000. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a 76ers preseason game and missed the entire 2000-01 season. He dislocated his right shoulder scrambling for a loose ball early in the 2002-03 season, forcing him to miss 48 games for the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs. He missed 20 games last season after a fracturing a bone in his right hand in late February.

"One of my goals is definitely to stay healthy, to play 82 games this year," Claxton, 26, said. "I've had some bad luck since I've got in the league. Given my past, you almost have to have somebody that's capable of playing a lot of minutes in case I do get hurt."

Mullin said not to be lost in the equation is that Fisher and Claxton both can play shooting guard, something Mullin said factored into his decision to sign Fisher.

Coach Mike Montgomery also has said he can envision Fisher and Claxton sharing the backcourt at times.

Claxton said however the arrangement works out, it doesn't matter. All he needs is the minutes.

QUALITY WITH QUANTITY

Warriors point guard Speedy Claxton has proved the last three seasons that the more he's on the floor, the more he produces.

Averages Pts Ast Reb Stl TO

Per game (22.9 min. avg.) 8.2 3.4 2.4 1.36 1.5

QUALITY WITH QUANTITY

Per start (32.8 min. avg.) 13.2 4.9 2.9 1.94 2.0
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knight-warriorsclaxtonwantstojum&prov=knight&type=lgns

T Park
10-10-2004, 12:29 PM
If Claxton wouldve stayed in San Antonio, not only would had he gotten paid, hed have gotten great minutes.

Golden State they seem to jerk him around AND lose.

So how good of a situation is that? I understand he wants to start, but where is the line between starting, winning, and just plaing swallowing pride for a ring?

Obviously he has one, but, 1 is never enough.