PDA

View Full Version : Commissioner acknowledges mistake in Spurs' schedule

picnroll
05-08-2006, 10:37 PM
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-stern-schedulingmistake&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Commissioner acknowledges mistake in Spurs' schedule

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
May 8, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- NBA commissioner David Stern acknowledged that it was a mistake to schedule the San Antonio Spurs to open the Western Conference semifinals with an early game on Sunday.

"If we had it to do over again, we wouldn't have acceded to the network's request on that one," Stern said on Monday night.

San Antonio wrapped up its first-round series in Sacramento so late on Friday night that it was after midnight in Texas. The Spurs spent the night in Sacramento and didn't arrive back in San Antonio until about 3 p.m. on Saturday.

They tipped off their series with Dallas at noon, local time, on Sunday because ABC wanted to show the Cleveland-Detroit game in the more attractive later time slot.

"We could lay it off on the network, but that's our responsibility and we have the ability to say no," Stern said. "And we should have."

Despite the short turnaround, San Antonio won the game 87-85.

Bet Stern would have kept quiet, not admitted the mistake, had the Mavs won.

SequSpur
05-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Stern is an idiot.

Kori Ellis
05-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Acknowledging a mistake after the game is funny.

It's not like he didn't know it was happening before the game. :lol

T Park
05-08-2006, 10:40 PM
No shit.

Waste of time forum.

SequSpur
What? Is he pissed that Dallas lost? I don't understand this dude anymore.

SANANTOJAMES
took the words out of my mouth sequspur

Dunc
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Easy to say that after the "JV" game was a thriller and the marquee matchup was a slaughter from the opening tip. Way to go Stern. Dumbfuck.

fyatuk
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Poor ABC. They put an exciting, come from behind, down to the last tick game in the crappy time slot to show a massive blowout in the good slot....

But it had LeBron!

timvp
05-08-2006, 10:42 PM
The San Antonio Sterns strike again.

:smokin

SequSpur
05-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Kori has no vbookie cash. :lol

mike detroit
05-08-2006, 10:43 PM
NBA messes up team's schedule, news at 11.

greyforest
05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
david stern cant keep us down!

fuck the haters!!!

Kori Ellis
05-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Kori has no vbookie cash. :lol

I bet it all on the Spurs during the Kings series.

At the end of the season, everyone is probably going back to $500 anyway so I figured it didn't really matter :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I was wondering if there was goign to be any public acknowledgment of this myself. If Dallas had won though, I think it may have caused enough backlash from the press, and certainly from the Spurs front office, that Stern would have had to say something. I think this man is a very untrustworthy person though.

picnroll
05-08-2006, 10:52 PM

May 8, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- NBA commissioner David Stern acknowledged that it was a mistake to schedule the San Antonio Spurs to open the Western Conference semifinals with an early game on Sunday.

In an effort to right the injustice Stern and ABC have come to an agreement to schedule the remaining San Antonio Dallas basketball games as back to back games beginning at 1:00 AM on May 9th, 4:00 AM May 9th and 7:00 AM May 9th. Additional games will be scheduled beginningat 1:00 AM May 10th if required.

jmard5
05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Poor ABC. They put an exciting, come from behind, down to the last tick game in the crappy time slot to show a massive blowout in the good slot....

But it had LeBron!

So much for the much overhyped Cavs game which turned out to be a borng contest.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-08-2006, 10:54 PM
WTF is right

stern is so weird
he's on pills

SpursWoman
05-08-2006, 10:55 PM

May 8, 2006

In an effort to right the injustice Stern and ABC have come to an agreement to schedule the remaining San Antonio Dallas basketball games as back to back games beginning at 1:00 AM on May 9th, 4:00 AM May 9th and 7:00 AM May 9th. Additional games will be scheduled beginningat 1:00 AM May 10th if required.

:lmao

spurs=bling
05-08-2006, 10:56 PM
i don't get this man. does he have multiple personalities?

spurs=bling
05-08-2006, 10:57 PM

May 8, 2006

and if he could he would let it happen too.

Spurologist
05-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Stern can fuck off. He shoud have fined Adelman and hammered the point home. Idiot.

~Sweetmelody~
05-08-2006, 10:59 PM
What was the point of him "acknowledging the mistake" Is it supposed to make us feel better?

May 8, 2006

:lol

Sadly, I would belive it...

Leetonidas
05-08-2006, 11:07 PM
What was the point of him "acknowledging the mistake" Is it supposed to make us feel better?

:lol

Sadly, I would belive it...

I almost did. :lol

2centsworth
05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
really what does anyone expect from someone who allowed the Clipper/Grizzly fiasco.

AlamoSpursFan
05-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Nothing surprises me schedule-wise anymore. The Christmas Day roadie to Detroit as a reward for kicking their ass in Game 7 told me all I needed to know about whoever makes the schedule in the NBA orifice.

????????
05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
David Stern is a moron who has screwed up the NBA by marketing only superstars instead of teams. This is a team sport, and he only cares about big markets and superstars. No wonder a sunday NASCAR Rain-out beat the lakers and cavs (or as Stern promotes it Kobe-Lebron) in the ratings by OVER 30%!! More people wanted to watch water hit a wet track mixed with old race footage than the NBA. That fuck is ruining basketball by not promoting team ball. I hope he retires soon.

SA210
05-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Will he also acknowledge the Bruce is the REAL DPOY and that voters made a HUGE mistake?

Reggie Miller
05-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't want to rehash points I have made before, but yeah I really do...

Marketing superstars was initially a viable strategy for Stern: Bird/Magic; Jordan/Remainder of World; etc. In other words, megastars made this possible. The problem crept in when you started hyping everyone and his cousin as the "next Jordan," when they clearly weren't. (Remember when Juwan Howard had a sneaker commercial that ran 24-7?) I'm not saying that this was ever the best possible marketing strategy, but it did work at one time. The problem is that Stern and the networks won't change, despite the fact that they are killing the golden goose. The NBA doesn't understand that you can't attract casual fans when hardcore fans are (justly) running the league down for promoting a bad product.

The critical failure of the Stern regime has been its failure to transform the NBA into a league driven by television revenue. That is, the NBA relies too heavily on the gate for profits, and it has never developed a superior bargaining position with the media. The majority of "nationally televised" games are on TNT, a cable network (essentially WTBS 2). I actually enjoy the TNT coverage, but I hope you see my point.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2006, 12:06 AM
they had 36hrs, they couldve rescheduled the game, but no they didnt

JamStone
05-09-2006, 12:10 AM
If by some miracle, LeBron scored 40+ points and got a triple double in a Cavs win over the Pistons, he would not have acknowledged it as a mistake. Stern believes in the LeBron-o-mania. He is definitely a "witness."

Can't say I really blame him when LeBron really does rake in the cash for the NBA. But, yes, he's still an idiot.

Tek_XX
05-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Stern and the NBA knew exactly what they were doing and would likely do it again. This is simply Stern understading he's in a weak position PR wise and is doing whatever he can to make up for it.

PixelPusher
05-09-2006, 12:29 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/jamackey/dstern.jpg

Bloodline666
05-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Hasn't Stern gotten the message? The Cavs lose ratings when they play the Pistons, because LeBron gets stopped dead in his tracks by the Pistons, and his team gets blown out. Yep! Definitely a mistake. The casual basketball fans flip the idiot box on ABC to watch LeBron James take on the Pistons, then turn it off as soon as it becomes evident that the Cavaliers are getting blown out, all while the hardcore basketball fan knows exactly what's gonna happen to LeBron and the Cavs when they play the Pistons.

As LeBron's new Nike commercial clearly states: We are all witnesses. Yep, we are all witnesses, alright. Witnesses to the King getting his ass handed to him by the big, bad Pistons, much to the magnitude of that same franchise doing the same to Michael Jordan. I'm not even old enough to remember the Michael Jordan/Detroit Pistons (aka, "Bad Boys") rivalry, when the Pistons had "The Jordan Rules".

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Stern,
W.
Again, notice you never see those two in the same place either?!?!
Spooky, innit?

Slo spurs fan
05-09-2006, 02:30 AM
At the end of the season, everyone is probably going back to $500 anyway
:tu

Vashner
05-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Smile!! you've been S T E R N E D!