PDA

View Full Version : How much is lasik surgery?

SequSpur
05-08-2006, 11:02 PM
??????????

scott
05-08-2006, 11:03 PM
I paid $1500 for mine a few years ago on a one-month a year referral deal. Its normally $3k at my doc.

SequSpur
05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
what do you mean one-month referral deal? Who did it?

scott
05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
During that one month, if someone referred you you got that price. I don't know if/when he's going to do it again. PM me and I can give you the Doc's contact info.

SequSpur
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
PM me. Do they take payment plans or something? If I can't see straight, I want to be able to hold out or something :lol

T Park
05-08-2006, 11:39 PM
2 Grand An Eye

Mixability
05-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Be prepared to pay at LEAST 2k an eye, unless you want to end up jacked up. :lol I wouldn't let just ANYONE fuck with my eyes. I had mine done in 01, I wore contacts and had THICK glasses. I now see 20/15. :smokin

Vashner
05-09-2006, 02:54 AM
20/15? wow what's that like? lol

greyforest
05-09-2006, 04:05 AM
20/15? wow what's that like? lol

it just means that what a normal person can see at 15 feet he can see at 20

just like if you're 220/20 then what a normal person can see at 220 feet someone has to be 20 feet away to see.

you want the second number to be equal to 20 or lower in other words :fro

ObiwanGinobili
05-09-2006, 07:38 AM
a friend of mine got hers done @ about 1800 an eye and she used a payment plan called LasikPlus (lasikplus.com) I think she pays about $55 a month.

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 07:57 AM
There are a lot of different options for Lasik depending on what the story is with your eyes. If you have astigmatism, it's only become possible fairly recently to have Lasik, and even then it's only if the astigmatism isn't too bad.

Another thing is that if you have the age-related problem where you need bifocals (for reading and distance), Lasik may only take care of the distance issue.

DannyT
05-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Join The United States Army Its Free.....hoooooah?

ploto
05-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Getting Lasik will cause you to need reading glasses SOONER.

Jekka
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I'd take reading glasses sooner over staying with the 20/650 vision I have now.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Sequ, I can hook you up for $50 an eye.

(I've almost finished building my laser . . . )

Jimcs50
05-09-2006, 11:02 AM
I think I can do it for you, gratis...it looks pretty easy to me.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, haven't you heard of "eyetooth"?

MoSpur
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
I was interested in getting lasik too. I recently had an eye infection due to falling asleep with my contacts on. Its a hassle.

leemajors
05-09-2006, 02:14 PM
There are a lot of different options for Lasik depending on what the story is with your eyes. If you have astigmatism, it's only become possible fairly recently to have Lasik, and even then it's only if the astigmatism isn't too bad.

Another thing is that if you have the age-related problem where you need bifocals (for reading and distance), Lasik may only take care of the distance issue.

you know if there is a difference in cost if you have astigmatism?

SpursWoman
05-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I was interested in getting lasik too. I recently had an eye infection due to falling asleep with my contacts on. Its a hassle.

Just from one night sleeping in them? User wears his 6-month contacts for about 5 years and never takes them out. :lol

MoSpur
05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Just from one night sleeping in them? User wears his 6-month contacts for about 5 years and never takes them out. :lol

He is lucky! My eyes get irritated really quick and I am sick of contacts.

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
you know if there is a difference in cost if you have astigmatism?

I think it costs more, since it's a newer technique/technology. I was going to look into more it later this year if we had any money left in our flex spending account ... sadly, it's all going into dental work for my wife.

scott
05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I think it costs more, since it's a newer technique/technology. I was going to look into more it later this year if we had any money left in our flex spending account ... sadly, it's all going into dental work for my wife.

I had an astigmatism and it didn't cost anything extra...

tlongII
05-09-2006, 06:04 PM
You can get it done cheaper in Canada.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
You can get it done cheaper in Canada.

It's also cheaper than $2K an eye in Los Angeles. A lot of my friends had it done by supposedly one of the best Lasik doctors in the country there for $2800.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
$3400 in Dallas, best money I ever spent :tu

Sequ, check to see if where you work has flex spending accounts, that's how I "financed mine".

SequSpur
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
$3400 in Dallas, best money I ever spent :tu

Sequ, check to see if where you work has flex spending accounts, that's how I "financed mine".

Hey that's a damn good pretax idea.

exstatic
05-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Getting Lasik will cause you to need reading glasses SOONER.
Horseshit. My doc (Ed Rashid), who actually is the eye doc for the Spurs, says that it puts it OFF. It will happen eventually, though.

They are working to get the lense replacement operation for cataracts approved for presbyopia (reading glasses disease :lol) treatment. You need reading glasses because your lense hardens, loses flexability and no longer focuses close. That operation replaces your lense with a fluid sac of the same refraction, and that will never harden. I'm thinking about getting one eye done for reading when it's approved. I'm such an oto-hedonist.

Sequ, don't go cheap. It's your eyes, brah. Pay on time, or use a medical FSA if your work provides it.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
My sisters had theirs done by Michael Dell's brother, but they got a deal since they work for Mike.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey that's a damn good pretax idea.

Yep, tax free, and it's basically a 12 month interest free loan. Got mine done on January 20, basically got the entire year to pay it off and it's not being taxed a dime by the government.

missmyzte
05-09-2006, 07:44 PM
He is lucky! My eyes get irritated really quick and I am sick of contacts.
Dude, I always sleep with my contacts in. My optometrist got tired of lecturing me about it and finally got me contacts that are meant to be slept in (more oxygen to the eyes, blah blah blah). I forget that I even wear contacts half the time.

Melmart1
05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Dude, I always sleep with my contacts in. My optometrist got tired of lecturing me about it and finally got me contacts that are meant to be slept in (more oxygen to the eyes, blah blah blah). I forget that I even wear contacts half the time.

Same thing here. I wear disposables, but I swear I won't put a new pair in until one of them falls out or something. I sleep, bathe, nap and do everything with them in. My doctor lectured me, cus I am so cheap that if my prescription changes, I take in the unopened packages for credit. He got mad I had so many, so I lied and told him that I wear my glasses a lot, which I don't. I hate my glasses, I will never go back.

ShoogarBear
05-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Be careful with that. It can only take one infection to almost ruin your eyes for life.

Jimcs50
05-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Be careful with that. It can only take one infection to almost ruin your eyes for life.

Yes, there are quite a few cases where people have lost their sight because of eye infections from now properly wearing those lenses, or not taking them out often enough. Ask your doc to give you literature on the subject. There was an article in the Houston Chronicle yesterday or day before about the dangers.

ploto
05-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Horseshit. My doc (Ed Rashid), who actually is the eye doc for the Spurs, says that it puts it OFF.
Every single doctor I know- one in the family- many who are personal friends and one who has been doing Lasik for years and years -has told me the TRUTH is most will need reading glasses sooner.

If someone is at the age where they actually can read up close better without their distance glasses on, they will probably need reading glasses after they get LASIK.

Read about it sometime:
Someone who is myopic has a lens with a normal shape that focuses on things close. To see something close, accommodation is not necessary; the lens is already set to focus on things close. Even with lenses to correct the myopia, the natural lens is not required to accommodate to see things close the same as without glasses.

As we mature, the natural lens in our eye expands, firms, and loses its ability to accommodate. This normal condition is known as presbyopia and develops in most people in between 40 and 60 years of age. Presbyopia may not be noticed in a myopic person because the need for accommodation is diminished by the myopia. Presbyopia can be masked by myopia. The lens may be unable to accommodate, but since the lens is already focused for close vision and the corrective lenses take care of the myopia, the lack of accommodation is not so well noticed.

When a person has refractive surgery to remove all of the myopia, suddenly the lens is expected to accommodate. Since accommodation has not been as much of an issue before refractive surgery, the muscles may be weak. The stiffness of the lens was not an issue before, but now this stiffness reduces the amount of accommodation possible to change from distant to close vision. This is what is often called "Sudden Presbyopia".
http://www.globallaservision.com/blog/index.php?/archives/39-Sudden-Need-For-Reading-Glasses-After-Lasik.html

AND HERE:
LASIK patients in their 30s who have a relatively weak prescription, such as two diopters, are making a tradeoff. For 10 or 15 years, they can have perfect vision because of LASIK, but when presbyopia sets in, they will need reading glasses. If they do not undergo LASIK, they will not need reading glasses when they are older, but they will still need a light pair of glasses for everyday activities.
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/28067/25816.html

Vashner
05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Talk about a cream job... if I could go to school again. Opto's..

Look into this.. writes down numbers... goes to lunch in brand new porche for 3 hours. Tell another person to read some lines or press EXECUTE on the lasik machine lol.

EZ $$

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
For 10 or 15 years, they can have perfect vision because of LASIK, but when presbyopia sets in, they will need reading glasses. If they do not undergo LASIK, they will not need reading glasses when they are older, but they will still need a light pair of glasses for everyday activities.
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtI...8067/25816.html

This is such crap. I've got a doc in the family as well. EVERYONE will need reading glasses as they get older, it's human physiology.

Gee, let's see, the 'trade off' is for the rest of my most active years I have perfect vision, then when I get old like everyone else I will need reading glasses. The *horror* :rolleyes

ploto
05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
This is such crap. I've got a doc in the family as well. EVERYONE will need reading glasses as they get older, it's human physiology.

I said that you will probably need them SOONER and the other poster claimed that LASIK would actually PUT OFF the need for reading glasses. That is just not true. I even double-checked today. There are people that need reading glasses immediately after getting LASIK- yes they are older than you are- but no one warned them. Myopia "masks" the presbyopia when it sets in and puts off the need for reading glasses. When the myopia is fixed, then the reading glasses are needed SOONER.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-11-2006, 09:44 PM
i had no idea so many people had this procedure done to them

even if i had the cash, i would be kind of nervous...i have always had this fear that it'll fuck your eyes up one day
like what if in a few years thousands and thousands of people just go instantly blind all across america

ShoogarBear
05-11-2006, 10:05 PM
There is long-term followup data in the US extender out to about ten years, and even longer in Europe. There has been no evidence of any sort of catastrophic unforseen complication of the surgery. What complications have been observed have led to incremental technical improvements over the years.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Canada and Europe have been doing it for 15-20 years, and things look good so far there.

There are people that need reading glasses immediately after getting LASIK- yes they are older than you are- but no one warned them.

I feel bad for those people, they obviously had a bad doc and also didn't bother to do any research on their own. My doc was pretty up front about needing glasses down the road, and I did enough research through a doc in the family to know the risks.

BTW, for any that have had it and still need drops around for occassional dryness, check out Thera Tears. This stuff is 100 times better than the Refresh Tears stuff. :tu

scott
05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Even if I need glasses in 10 years after the procedure it would have been worth it - I would mean I got 10 years of perfect vision.

ven if i had the cash, i would be kind of nervous...i have always had this fear that it'll fuck your eyes up one day
like what if in a few years thousands and thousands of people just go instantly blind all across america

There is nothing to worry about when they cut the flap open with the razor blade... it kinda tickles!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Actually the good places don't even use a blade anymore. They use Intralasik, where they cut the flap with a laser.

And if I need glasses down the road, it was worth it in the meantime not to be dealing with contacts or glasses.

ploto
05-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Actually the good places don't even use a blade anymore. They use Intralasik, where they cut the flap with a laser.

And if I need glasses down the road, it was worth it in the meantime not to be dealing with contacts or glasses.
Don't get me wrong. I am not against people getting LASIK. The physician in the family I mentioned, he got it done and loves it. I just like for people to have all the information and was concerned with the notion that someone was being told it would postpone the need for reading glasses when I had been told the exact opposite. Unless something has changed dramatically in the past couple of months, I still see no indication that LASIK can improve this aspect of vision. But for people who are young and active, it can be wonderful. Now, I won't get into the issues ophthalmologists are dealing with now that patients who have had LASIK are reaching the age of needing cataract surgery.

Vashner
05-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Lasik is nothing compared to some of the lasers we fired up into Monkey eye at Brooks.

We where developing laser protection system for military pilots *unclassified.
http://www.brooks.af.mil/AFRL/HED/HEDO/image/hololep.gif

Mixability
05-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Lasik is nothing compared to some of the lasers we fired up into Monkey eye at Brooks.

We where developing laser protection system for military pilots *unclassified.
http://www.brooks.af.mil/AFRL/HED/HEDO/image/hololep.gif

Looks like something that Oakley would come out with. :lol

Vashner
05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I even put in the suggestion that commercial pilots have the First Officer wear the goggles during takeoff and landing. Oh well it sounds dumb but I think it would be a good idea.

I have flown the T38 sim with the goggles and you could see all the instruments no problem.

Edit: Sorry going off topic.. err ah.. Lasik should be safe. Being able to see clear kicks ass (I would never let them shoot a laser in my eye's but hey go for it lol). :blah