PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Horry adds range and room to offense

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Spurs' Horry adds range and room to offense

Web Posted: 05/09/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050906.6D.BKNspurs.horry.126fc5b6.html

It's an occurrence so arcane that the NBA insists it is beyond even the reach of the statistics mavens at the Elias Sports Bureau.

Nobody, however, seems to dispute it.

In Sunday's Game 1 against the Dallas Mavericks, the Spurs' Robert Horry very likely became the first starting center in playoff history whose shot attempts all were from 3-point range.

Horry, starting at center for the third consecutive playoff game, took four 3-pointers in the Spurs' 87-85 victory, and that he made only one was incidental. The threat of his range had a decided effect, which is precisely why he started in the first place.

"I'm not so sure about that," Horry said when it was suggested he might have established an NBA first for starting centers. "I think maybe (Arvydas) Sabonis might have done that a few years ago, too."

Sabonis, the 7-foot-3, 292-pound Lithuanian who played five seasons for the Portland Trail Blazers, had a decent perimeter shot, but he spent a lot more time around the basket than Horry has, or will, as the Spurs' starting center.

Horry, of course, is the Spurs' center in name only. Tim Duncan is the team's post presence, which is one reason Horry replaced Rasho Nesterovic, who earlier replaced Nazr Mohammed. Neither Nesterovic nor Mohammed poses a perimeter threat the way Horry does.

"I was shocked when (coach Gregg Popovich) told me," Horry said of starting Game 5 of the first-round series against the Sacramento Kings. "I was very shocked. We won the first two games (of the series) with that lineup, and went the last 20 (regular-season) games with that lineup, so I thought he was going to keep that lineup."

What Popovich determined was the need to space the floor to create more room for Duncan and for Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili to slash to the basket.

What better way to do that than to play a feared 3-point shooter and position him at, or near, the top of the key?

"I didn't understand what he was looking for at first," Horry said of Popovich. "He had to explain it to me today. I know now."

Popovich explained the move more as a function of playing time than offensive tactic.

"You want Robert to be on the floor," Popovich said. "He's one of our better players, and it's easier to get him minutes if he starts than when he comes off the bench."

Horry, one of the Spurs' stars in their 2005 championship run, is remembered most for his game-winning 3-pointer in Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the Detroit Pistons. He had not started a playoff game in three seasons with the Spurs, however, until last week.

"Last time I started a playoff game was my final season (2002-03) with the Lakers," Horry said. "They wanted some outside scoring to create some room for Kobe (Bryant) to drive and for Shaq (O'Neal) inside."

The Mavericks acknowledge the problem Horry presents.

"He spaces the floor," Dallas coach Avery Johnson said. "I think that's why we kind of knew they would probably keep him in the (starting) lineup. He gives Parker a little more room to operate in there. A lot of times when there are two centers out there you don't have as much space, so it's a good luxury to have."

In his three starts, Horry has played 80 minutes, scored 15 points and grabbed 20 rebounds. Eight of his 14 shots have been from 3-point range. He was the Spurs' top rebounder in their series-clinching Game 6 victory over Sacramento, and his nine rebounds in Sunday's Game 1 represented his best rebounding effort of the 2006 playoffs and a high for any starting Spurs center this spring.

"He's 6-10," Popovich said. "A 6-10 guy should get a rebound, here and there."

whottt
05-09-2006, 01:13 AM
I can think of one more thing he might do...If the Spurs go on to win the title this year, he will likely be the first person to ever start at C, PF and SF for an NBA champion.

SilverPlayer
05-09-2006, 01:17 AM
"He's 6-10," Popovich said. "A 6-10 guy should get a rebound, here and there."

Woahhh shit! Pop laying the smack down on
2 Nazr Mohammed 6-10
8 Rasho Nesterovic 7-0

missmyzte
05-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm amazed that he's conceding himself as a "center", in his head he's still a small forward who moonlights as a power forward.

Good article and good tactical move by Pop.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2006, 01:27 AM
if horry can play center next season, goodbye rasho+nazr

missmyzte
05-09-2006, 01:32 AM
^^^ Wrong. He's only booking big minutes in the post-season, Spurs need a regular-season fill in.

SilverPlayer
05-09-2006, 01:34 AM

Horry is really a fill in...he doesn't thaw out until after March. And if you thaw him out too early the ice running through his veins becomes regular blood.

velik_m
05-09-2006, 01:35 AM

you do realize Horry is nowhere to be found until late April?

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Didn't Phil-latio play him at center a bit to back up Schmuq? And didn't that also lessen his playoff effectiveness, expecially in the '03 semis?

ploto
05-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Popovich explained the move more as a function of playing time than offensive tactic.

"You want Robert to be on the floor," Popovich said. "He's one of our better players, and it's easier to get him minutes if he starts than when he comes off the bench."

Exactly what I posted yesterday-- it's about minutes. It is part of what frustrates me when people complain about Nazr not playing. It is Robert Horry who has been playing those minutes that Nazr played at the beginning of the playoffs. It is not like Rasho has "stolen" his minutes- his minutes are the same or even lower. Big Shot Rob getting those minutes in the play-offs is no surprise.

his (Horry's) nine rebounds in Sunday's Game 1 represented his best rebounding effort of the 2006 playoffs and a high for any starting Spurs center this spring.

This smack is actualy more on Nazr than Rasho, as he has started all those games except one. This Spring Rasho has had double digit rebounds off the bench twice. As the starter, Nazr has not hit double digits in almost 2 months.

Only problem with the floor spacing theory- both Nazr and Rasho have hit a three pointer this post-season. They are both PERFECT from the three-point line for the play-offs this year.:lol