PDA

View Full Version : next spurs coach

Metroplex Spur
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Since I don't live in SA any more, I was wondering if there is ever any talk of who will eventually succeed Pop on the bench? I think he is almost 60 now and probably won't be coaching forever.

I can't see Budenholzer being given the reins; is there ever any speculation of Avery returning? After all now he has some coaching skins on the wall to go with his playing credentials, and of course he owns San Antonio from a fans perspective. I hope it happens whenever Pop is ready to step down

By the way, was surfing for some Spurs gear and stumbled across the attached. I would have bought but already have one of the black ones...thought some other Spurs fans might be interested...

GO SPURS GO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8808325071&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8808327885&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Ocotillo
05-09-2006, 08:07 AM
I don't think he is close to retiring. Maybe when Duncan is ready to hang 'em up.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2006, 08:18 AM
PJ carlesimo will probaly take over if he can troll with pop for another few more seasons...

Hook Dem
05-09-2006, 08:20 AM
P.J. would be a better choice IMO.

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
I still cannot believe that PJ has not been offered another head coaching opportunity. You look at some of the losers and boneheads that keep coming up (Bob Weiss, heLLO?) while PJ patiently sits here and you wonder about the people making the hiring decisions in this league.

Happy to have PJ here, just surprised to still have the luxury.

boutons_
05-09-2006, 08:40 AM
PJ seems to be as blackballed eternally as Jabbar.

pache100
05-09-2006, 08:45 AM
I still cannot believe that PJ has not been offered another head coaching opportunity. You look at some of the losers and boneheads that keep coming up (Bob Weiss, heLLO?) while PJ patiently sits here and you wonder about the people making the hiring decisions in this league.

Happy to have PJ here, just surprised to still have the luxury.

PJ would probably be in Minnesota if not for Spre and KG. And what did that little underhanded move get for Spre?

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Avery Johnson.

Jimcs50
05-09-2006, 08:50 AM
I think AHF would be the best coach....at least AFH thinks so.

:lol

ducks
05-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Avery Johnson.

there is no way aj will coach the spurs unless cuban gets ticked at him
he would offer way more money then what holt would be willing to pay

heck is not aj making 6 million a year
what did pop make his first few years

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
there is no way aj will coach the spurs unless cuban gets ticked at him
he would offer way more money then what holt would be willing to pay

heck is not aj making 6 million a year
what did pop make his first few years

:down:

Melmart1
05-09-2006, 10:18 AM
This person is from the metroplex, and the item location of the ebay auctions he put up are in Dallas. They only posted once. Coincidence? I think not!

:spam:

50 cent
05-09-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't think I want Avery. He tries to bring too much preaching to his team.

SpursWoman
05-09-2006, 10:59 AM
This person is from the metroplex, and the item location of the ebay auctions he put up are in Dallas. They only posted once. Coincidence? I think not!

That's exactly what I figured. :lol

Tigole Bitties
05-09-2006, 11:18 AM

DUHLEET!

FoxMulder
05-09-2006, 11:19 AM
I guess it could be the kiwi

Sean Marks

:elephant :smokin

reydawg
05-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I think he is almost 60 now and probably won't be coaching forever.

You sure about that?

Extra Stout
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Avery Johnson : Mavericks : Spurs
::
Bear Bryant : Texas A&M : Alabama

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-09-2006, 11:27 AM
I can see Pop coaching the Spurs for another 5 or 6 years. . .at least.

Who knows what coaches will be available then. It could end up being someone like Mike Brown.

reydawg
05-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I can see Pop coaching the Spurs for another 5 or 6 years. . .at least.

Who knows what coaches will be available then. It could end up being someone like Mike Brown.

Based on his performance in Cleveland so far, I hope not.

texasqb2
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Based on his performance in Cleveland so far, I hope not.

How can you say he has done a bad job in Cleveland?

whottt
05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
It's classic that Spurfans think AJ would coach in SA. Like he'd take a paycut to coach in SA.

Sportman
05-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Pop said in the "pop show" (answering to Bill Simmons´s statements), he hadnt never thought that yet. :rolleyes

reydawg
05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
How can you say he has done a bad job in Cleveland?

I think he needs to get after Lebron more. For a guy that talented, his defense leaves much to be desired. And Mike's X's & O's out of timeouts especially...eh.

Does Cleveland strike you as a well coached team? If you subscribe to the theory that its good coaching to let Lebron's talent dominate, then they are well coached, I suppose. But in that case, he's hardly qualified to take over for Pop if the Spurs job opens up - which is what I'm referring to here.

I think Brown needs to do a better job of integrating the talent he has into a more cohesive unit.

However, it does need to be said that Ferry hasn't exactly given him the greatest line-up in the world. And those big contracts aren't going to give the Cavs too much flexibility in the next few years.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Bruce Bowen.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Bearhugs all around!

pache100
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Bruce Bowen.

That would be awesome. Bruce has said he wants to teach, though. He has also said he is not interested in coaching unless it's kids.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 02:34 PM
That would be awesome. Bruce has said he wants to teach, though. He has also said he is not interested in coaching unless it's kids.

I know he's said all that. But I think he has a place in the organization when he's done and he'd be an awesome assistant to Pop. I don't know if he'd ever want a head coaching job.

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Bruce Bowen.

SPURS HOLD OFF CAVS TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIP
James held to 17 on 6-24 shooting
Posted Jun 17, 2009, 2:15 AM EST

CLEVELAND (AP) - The San Antonio Spurs won their fifth National Basketball Association championship today, outlasting the game Cleveland Cavaliers in a 69-67 defensive struggle that was not decided until Finals MVP Tony Parker hit a 32-foot three pointer with 6.7 seconds left. LeBron James' layup that would have tied the game was blocked with under a second left.

A total of six players, three on each side, fouled out in the scrum which saw tempers flare due to physical play. Spurs coach Bruce Bowen, who added his first coaching championship to three earned as a player, usually had a smile on his face as the Spurs controlled the high-flying Cavalier offense throughout. "Bear hug," said Bowen, adding "that's the way I always played, and the guys have really adopted that defensive mentality as their own."

SpursWoman
05-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Finals MVP Tony Parker hit a 32-foot three pointer with 6.7 seconds left

I thought there was < 4 seconds left? :wtf

pache100
05-09-2006, 02:47 PM
I know he's said all that. But I think he has a place in the organization when he's done and he'd be an awesome assistant to Pop. I don't know if he'd ever want a head coaching job.

I hope like everything you are right. I'd love to see him with the Spurs in some capacity when he is ready to retire from playing. But...he's putting an awful lot of time and effort into elementary education to not be planning on doing something with it.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 02:58 PM
How can you say he has done a bad job in Cleveland?Right off the top of my head, playing his franchise player deep into garbage time so that he gets hurt less than 48 hours after procliaming that he was going to "rest" said player, I'd say he's not showing signs of being a great head coach.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I hope like everything you are right. I'd love to see him with the Spurs in some capacity when he is ready to retire from playing. But...he's putting an awful lot of time and effort into elementary education to not be planning on doing something with it.

The NBA drafts a lot of guys out of high school, and some of them can barely read or write, so my guess is that Bruce would have plenty of opportunities to utilize his elementary education degree in the NBA.

Despot
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't think he is close to retiring. Maybe when Duncan is ready to hang 'em up.

When Pop made the comment that he would retire about 10 seconds after Duncan did, I took it as him saying it in passing, just like he makes all his quirky statements to get his point across. Alot of people took that comment seriously though. And he may feel like he will have nothing to stay for once Duncan is gone and he doesn't have a special connection with a player anymore like he does with Duncan. But that could all change with new players coming in, Mahinmi? I've also noticed a better realationship with Parker this year.
At any rate, I feel that Pops time as a COACH may end when the team needs to rebuild, I'm not so sure he wants to go through that again, knowing that we were extremely lucky to get Duncan in the first place. I also don't think Pop is worried about his legacy.

/rant

????????
05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Since I don't live in SA any more, I was wondering if there is ever any talk of who will eventually succeed Pop on the bench? I think he is almost 60 now and probably won't be coaching forever.

I can't see Budenholzer being given the reins; is there ever any speculation of Avery returning? After all now he has some coaching skins on the wall to go with his playing credentials, and of course he owns San Antonio from a fans perspective. I hope it happens whenever Pop is ready to step down

By the way, was surfing for some Spurs gear and stumbled across the attached. I would have bought but already have one of the black ones...thought some other Spurs fans might be interested...

GO SPURS GO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8808325071&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8808327885&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Yep, we all got suckered on that one. I doubt THAT was a bot.

SequSpur
05-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Man... Fuck Avery Johnson.

Nbadan
05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I was just mentioning to a friend yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised to see POP head back to the front office this summer if the Spurs repeat.

j-6
05-09-2006, 07:39 PM
SPURS HOLD OFF CAVS TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIP
James held to 17 on 6-24 shooting
Posted Jun 17, 2009, 2:15 AM EST

CLEVELAND (AP) - The San Antonio Spurs won their seventh National Basketball Association championship today, outlasting the game Cleveland Cavaliers in a 69-67 defensive struggle that was not decided until Finals MVP Tony Parker hit a 32-foot three pointer with 6.7 seconds left. LeBron James' layup that would have tied the game was blocked with under a second left.

A total of six players, three on each side, fouled out in the scrum which saw tempers flare due to physical play. Spurs coach Bruce Bowen, who added his first coaching championship to three earned as a player, usually had a smile on his face as the Spurs controlled the high-flying Cavalier offense throughout. "Bear hug," said Bowen, adding "that's the way I always played, and the guys have really adopted that defensive mentality as their own."

Fixed that for ya, since we all know that PJ coached the team to two titles before he retired.