PDA

View Full Version : In Basketball, "Intangible" Means "Good at Basketball"

Reggie Miller
05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
This was so hilarious that I had to share.

From http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/

“Real quick:

ESPN GameNight, tonight, a little after 7:00. Freddy Coleman and some other guy, maybe Steve Czaban (though I thought he went to Fox) are saying that the thing that makes the Pistons so good is that they are maybe not the best individual players, but they work well together as a team. They have a lot of "intangibles," like not being ball hogs and stuff. So, okay. Then they say that they tried to put together a starting five from among all the players in the league, who would be the perfect "Team," the ultimate five-man Team, comprised of unselfish, smart players who would just work well together -- maybe not the best players, they keep saying, but the best TEAM. Loaded with intangibles.

Each host drew one up. Here's the first one:

G Steve Nash
G LeBron James
C Tim Duncan
F Ben Wallace
F Vince Carter

So, the Ultimate Team-with-a-Capital-T of Maybe Not the Best Guys But the Best Teammates contains: the reigning two-time league MVP, the widely-thought-of Next Jordan who finished second in the MVP voting this year, one of the best centers ever and a guy who not only seemingly always wins championships but also Finals MVPs, the like thirty-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award winner and rebounding champion, and a fifth guy who is awesome at basketball.

I did not hear the second starting five of Intangibly Good Teammates, but I assume it was Magic, Cousy, Shaq, Bird, and Jordan, with Dr. J, Kareem, Wilt, Teen Wolf, and Jesus Christ coming off the bench.”

posted by Ken Tremendous # 10:31 PM

DarkReign
05-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Vinsanity on the All-Team Team.

Laughable.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
This was so hilarious that I had to share.

From http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/

“Real quick:

ESPN GameNight, tonight, a little after 7:00. Freddy Coleman and some other guy, maybe Steve Czaban (though I thought he went to Fox) are saying that the thing that makes the Pistons so good is that they are maybe not the best individual players, but they work well together as a team. They have a lot of "intangibles," like not being ball hogs and stuff. So, okay. Then they say that they tried to put together a starting five from among all the players in the league, who would be the perfect "Team," the ultimate five-man Team, comprised of unselfish, smart players who would just work well together -- maybe not the best players, they keep saying, but the best TEAM. Loaded with intangibles.

Each host drew one up. Here's the first one:

G Steve Nash
G LeBron James
C Tim Duncan
F Ben Wallace
F Vince Carter

So, the Ultimate Team-with-a-Capital-T of Maybe Not the Best Guys But the Best Teammates contains: the reigning two-time league MVP, the widely-thought-of Next Jordan who finished second in the MVP voting this year, one of the best centers ever and a guy who not only seemingly always wins championships but also Finals MVPs, the like thirty-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award winner and rebounding champion, and a fifth guy who is awesome at basketball.

I did not hear the second starting five of Intangibly Good Teammates, but I assume it was Magic, Cousy, Shaq, Bird, and Jordan, with Dr. J, Kareem, Wilt, Teen Wolf, and Jesus Christ coming off the bench.”

posted by Ken Tremendous # 10:31 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

PM5K
05-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Teen Wolf and Jesus Christ coming off the bench, lol....

Everyone knows you start Teen Wolf...

kidd
05-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Vinsanity on the All-Team Team.

Laughable.

Peculiar, but not laughable. He's very unselfish. He only shot a lot in that ONE game because the coach told him to. He's also #2 in efficiency so far in the playoffs, and is really putting a mark on the defensive end by causing millions of turnovers. What other SG would you put there? Rip hamilton maybe.. can't think of any other candidate.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
These must be the guys assembling the olympic team.

aaronstampler
05-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Jesus has good length and tremendous upside potential, especially with his getbyyouability.

Air Jesus.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Jesus has good length and tremendous upside potential, especially with his getbyyouability.

Air Jesus.
Just don't make any jokes about his post-up game. That pisses him off.

Darrin
05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
:lmao

If I had to assemble guys that are a little under the radar, but get the job done, this is my team (12-man roster):

PG - Mike James / Chris Duhon
SG - Joe Johnson / Leandro Barbosa
SF - Caron Butler / Matt Harpring / Kevin Martin
PF - PJ Brown / Joe Smith / Anderson Varejo
C - Chris Kaman / Nazr Mohammad

Reggie Miller
05-10-2006, 11:02 PM
"Ya know, David, Jesus hates you because he has to play behind you..."

I'm waiting to be struck by lightning...

It took me nearly a day to finally get Obstructed View's joke, but it was worth it. THAT'S funny!

We have tornado warnings out, and I'm going to stop now just in case...

Reggie Miller
05-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Teen Wolf is listed as a bench player because he can only start 2-3 nights a month.