PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Duncan officially shrinks an inch

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Duncan officially shrinks an inch
Web Posted: 10/08/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs already knew they had lost one 7-footer from their roster when they didn't re-sign Kevin Willis.

They're now missing one more.

Tim Duncan will be listed officially as 6-foot-11 for the first time in his NBA career. The Spurs listed Duncan as 7-0 for his first seven seasons in the league, even though it was always apparent he didn't measure that tall.

Duncan, who might even be closer to 6-10, has always preferred to be listed at 6-11. This season, the Spurs — who evidently thought it would be easier to market Duncan and David Robinson if both of them stood 7-0 — finally made the change.

"That's just so when he dunks on people, it looks better because he's not a true 7-footer," Malik Rose said jokingly of the change. "All I know is I measure 6-6 in my bare feet and 6-7 in my shoes."

"Tim wants to be 6-11. Jermaine O'Neal wants to be a power forward. It's like, 'Just play the damn game.' That's what I say."

Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, who looks close to 7-1, also prefers to be listed as 6-11.

Still talking: The Spurs continue to speak with Tony Parker's agent, Marc Fleisher, about a possible contract extension, but the two sides were still far apart Thursday afternoon on what they think Parker should be paid.

The Spurs have indicated they would like to complete negotiations by Sunday or suspend them until after the season when Parker will be a restricted free agent.

Injury update: Rookie point guard Beno Udrih went through contact drills for the first time Thursday.

Forward Linton Johnson III only participated in limited portions of the workout for the third-straight day because of a sore left ankle.

The Spurs practiced only once Thursday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100804.6D.BKNSpursNotebook.f9a496e8.html

timvp
10-08-2004, 01:01 AM
The Spurs playing hardball with Tony Parker is just stupid. Dragging it out until the 31st hurts nobody. The Spurs need to get this done.

xcoriate
10-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Tony will get his its just a matter of when, Tony obviously wants it out of the way. Management should just work it out already.

polandprzem
10-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Damn , Tim isn't 7 footer and Tony leave the town next summer. Got more good info? hmmm.
If you were watching the Olimpics, you could see the difference in hight between Gasol and Duncan.

Well I hope in 5 years from now Duncan wouldn't be listed at 6 foot 5.

TwoHandJam
10-08-2004, 08:22 AM
The more I read about Fleisher, the more it seems like he's an asshole. I saw this blurb on another site

Don Harris- who you all know I love so much- reported on the news that supposedly Parker is asking for 6 years and around $65 million (I think that was the # he said, give or take a million), and that a deal could be signed by Monday. He also said that RC won't comment until an agreement is actually reached, so he got a "no comment" from RC.

Don't know if this is true but if it is, I would be surprised if the Spurs wouldn't do the deal. I think Fleisher is possibly holding out for more without letting Tony know. He seems to be screwing over AK47 in much the same way. I fucking hate agents. They only have their own interests at heart.

tlongII
10-08-2004, 08:50 AM
This is TERRIBLE news for the Spurs! Their froncourt is getting SMALLER!

spurster
10-08-2004, 11:16 AM
For 6 years, $65M, the Spurs should do it (of course, that report is a big if). TP's price will be much higher next off-season. Do the Spurs want to wait for another team to offer TP the max?

Iron Giant
10-08-2004, 11:33 AM
They're gambling that the next bargaining agreement will be more to their liking (or perhaps they want to see how TP responds in a contract year?). If he responds well, it'll prove to have been a stupid move. At 6/65, they should sign him now....I'm betting he's asking for more money, though.

exstatic
10-08-2004, 12:23 PM
That could blow up in their faces. To get the shorter contracts, they will have to give up something. Maybe the MAX deal goes up. Maybe UFA will come sooner, and they will have to face Tony being unrestricted next summer.

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm betting he's asking for more money, though.

I think you'd be betting wrong.

genghisrex
10-08-2004, 12:48 PM
I think you'd be betting wrong.

A few weeks ago I said the Spurs should try to sign Tony for $60 million and I still think that's about right if he wants long term security now. $65 million doesn't look that unreasonable, though. If Tony is asking for $65 million and the Spurs' offer is "far off," I wonder how low their target is?

ShoogarBear
10-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Duncan officially shrinks an inch
. . . and Amy is pissed!

Marcus Bryant
10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Dammit SB beat me to it.

6 years in the $60 to 70 mil range is reasonable for him.

ShoogarBear
10-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Dammit SB beat me to it.

Meaning, I'm a bit quicker with the tasteless sophomoric comments than you are . . . WHOO-HOOOO!

:elephant

(Hey, where's the :rockon emoticon?)

timvp
10-08-2004, 03:55 PM
That could blow up in their faces. To get the shorter contracts, they will have to give up something. Maybe the MAX deal goes up. Maybe UFA will come sooner, and they will have to face Tony being unrestricted next summer.

Exactly. Pop and and the front office are trying to play it sly, but this could become ugly. They've already tried to screw over Parker once by looking to sign Kidd ... if they wait for a new CBA to save a few dollars, I wouldn't blame Parker for leaving the Spurs.

I would.

Brodels
10-08-2004, 04:19 PM
The Spurs playing hardball with Tony Parker is just stupid. Dragging it out until the 31st hurts nobody. The Spurs need to get this done.

How do you know they aren't offering something very fair? It's hard to put blame on either side unless you're certain of the numbers being discussed.

Dammit SB beat me to it.

6 years in the $60 to 70 mil range is reasonable for him.

Yes.

. . and Amy is pissed!

:lol

Iron Giant
10-08-2004, 07:50 PM
I think Tony has significant upside--I'd be asking more if I were him (which he's likely to get it if they don't sign him and he has a good year). Regardless, I hope my feeling is wrong. At the moment, I've got a sick feeling they won't get it done and we'll have to weather the restricted crap after the year.