PDA

View Full Version : Terry/Harris to start in Dallas backcourt tonight

Shank
05-09-2006, 03:22 PM
First time all season they've started a game with both guys in the backcourt. At times, they've both been out there in the 4th Q.

I really hope Dallas hasn't started resorting to other "options" this soon in the series.

Maybe it will pan out...

J.T.
05-09-2006, 03:23 PM
And in a stunning move the Spurs announce they will start G Beno Udrih at the center position.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 03:25 PM
This backcourt change will cause the Spurs some matchup problems defensively.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Avery has certainly learned from his mentor. Pop always seems to make some sort of playoff starting lineup tweak. It's usually been moving Manu to the second team and this year it's starting Horry.

This is probably a good move for Dallas because Harris is a handful for us to stop.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, no way Grifiin was going to start again. That guy made it so much easier for the Spurs in Game 1.

Good move by AJ. Now I expect Pop to counter with more small ball.

picnroll
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
AJ probably figures Mavs can wear out a wounded Parker and then they get more PT with NeVEr. Nick the Turnstile.

DDS4
05-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Problems will arise for the Mavs also, especially on the offensive end.

I don't see Terry guarding Manu well if he does.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure who will guard who to start the game now. Obviously Tony will have to guard Harris and I guess Manu will guard Terry. So would you put Duncan or Horry on Josh Howard?

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Now Manu really has to come ready to play. Griffin was the Manu-stopper in Game 1. Manu should be free to do whatever he wants now. No one in that starting lineup can stay with him.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure who will guard who to start the game now. Obviously Tony will have to guard Harris and I guess Manu will guard Terry. So would you put Duncan or Horry on Josh Howard?

Start with Horry on Josh Howard and then go small with Finley. Small ball sucked versus the Kings, but it'll be vital the rest of the way in this series.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:30 PM
The Mavs will probably hide Terry on Bowen to start things off.

easjer
05-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Who will be on who with this lineup? How long is Parker expected to play (if at all)? Will this mean Beno sees playing time?

picnroll
05-09-2006, 03:31 PM
They'll probably play Howard on Manu and heve Harris or Terry or alternating on Parker. Which ever guards not on Parker gets Bruce. Manu has to punish them.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Who will be on who with this lineup? How long is Parker expected to play (if at all)? Will this mean Beno sees playing time?

Parker is supposedly questionable, but I'm sure he'll play. This really shouldn't effect Beno's (lack of) playing time.

timvp
Parker -> Harris
Manu -> Terry
Bowen -> Dirk
Duncan -> Diop
Horry -> Howard

Harris -> Parker
Terry -> Bowen
Dirk -> Horry
Howard -> Manu
Diop -> Duncan

picnroll
Beno on Terry. Please no more NeVEr.

Shank
05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
How much is the success of these new matchups dependent on Parker's health?

Kori Ellis
They'll probably play Howard on Manu and heve Harris or Terry or alternating on Parker. Which ever guards not on Parker gets Bruce. Manu has to punish them.

Howard was assigned to guard Bruce last game, so I'm guessing he's their weakest defender. So Manu should be able to abuse him.

easjer
You all are too quick for this slow computer. Thanks all.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Now it's up to Manu to come out and dominate. Howard is a good help defender but not a very good one-on-one defender. And with Diop/Dampier concentrating on Duncan, the lane should be open.

DDS4
Horry on Dirk.
Bruce on Howard.

Let Dirk get his. Prevent Howard from getting 20+ points. Mavs are undefeated when Howard goes for 20 or more.

timvp
Beno on Terry. Please no more NeVEr.

You really wanna mess with 5-0?

:smokin

picnroll
05-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Hopefully Duncan can puts the Mavs bigs in foul trouble agian. That will make driving easier for Manu. Dampier is a chippy SOB and I can see him laying out Parker or Manu.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Horry on Dirk.
Bruce on Howard.

Let Dirk get his. Prevent Howard from getting 20+ points. Mavs are undefeated when Howard goes for 20 or more.

No, you have to keep Bowen on Dirk. Bowen owned him in Game 1. If you are worried about Howard going off, go small and switch Manu onto him.

Shank
Horry on Dirk.
Bruce on Howard.

In theory, it sounds good, but would be risky for San Antonio to just let Dirk "get his".

Kori Ellis
Horry on Dirk.
Bruce on Howard.

No, I think you have to leave Bruce on Dirk and let Horry/Finley guard Howard. During the season when the Spurs moved Bruce off of Dirk in the 2nd half of a game (because Howard was going wild) then Dirk went off completely.

I think you have to stick with Bruce on Dirk.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Dirk is one of the top ten most talented scorers ever. You let him "get his" and he drops 50 on you without breaking a sweat.

picnroll
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
In theory, it sounds good, but would be risky for San Antonio to just let Dirk "get his".
Tha's one of the Spurs ploys. Did it with Amre. Did it with Kobe. Did it with Nash this year.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Shank - where did you hear that the Mavs were going with Harris/Terry?

Shank
05-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Shank - where did you hear that the Mavs were going with Harris/Terry?

People close to the team.

Trainwreck2100
Manu will own them tonight

timvp
Tha's one of the Spurs ploys. Did it with Amre. Did it with Kobe. Did it with Nash this year.

The Spurs do that when the team has explosive offensive talent around their main guy. Outside of Dirk, there aren't many players on the Mavs that can blow up. Terry, Howard and Stackhouse can have big games but you can recover and still guard them even when rotating after sending a double team.

BigVee
05-09-2006, 03:40 PM
I hope Terry guards Bowen, that will leave him stuck in the corner a lot and may just slow down the break long enough for everyone to get back.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Hopefully AJ starts Griffin again. The matchups are so much better that way :)

ShoogarBear
05-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Can Manu stay with Terry on D, though? Or does he take Harris?

Does Dallas try to gamble with Howard on Manu?

It would be nice if we had some post-up plays for Ginobili.

Shank
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Hopefully AJ starts Griffin again. The matchups are so much better that way :)

Is he's healthy, Griff has been starting for most of the season. But I'm not sure where he would fit with Harris starting. You'd have to bump Howard out of the lineup if so.

Not sure what I think of this move. Seems a little too soon to be trying new things.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
One of the things that drives me nuts about Pop is that sometimes he overdoes trying to match up with the other team instead of exploiting that THEY have to match up against HIS team.

picnroll
05-09-2006, 03:51 PM
With Bowen on Dirk that leaves Horry on Howard which is not so hot. That puts Duncan at risk for foul problems covering the basket on penetration.

mabber
05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Howard was assigned to guard Bruce last game, so I'm guessing he's their weakest defender. So Manu should be able to abuse him.

Howard is one of their 2 best defenders but he tends to get in foul trouble easily. I'm guessing Howard will draw Manu, Terry will be on Bowen and Harris on Parker. The key will be if Howard can stay out of foul trouble guarding Manu. This is assuming this switch is true. I'm here in Dallas and haven't heard about it yet.

timvp
05-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Can Manu stay with Terry on D, though? Or does he take Harris?

Does Dallas try to gamble with Howard on Manu?

It would be nice if we had some post-up plays for Ginobili.

Harris is too fast for Manu. Even though Terry's nickname is "Jet" or whatever, he's not really that fast. Manu should be able to stick with him as he's more of a spot shooter.

I'd say Dallas has to put Howard on Manu if they start that lineup. If they try Terry on him, Manu might go for 30 in the first half. Howard poses some problems with his length, but there's a reason he started off on Bowen in Game 1.

Shank
05-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Howard is one of their 2 best defenders but he tends to get in foul trouble easily. I'm guessing Howard will draw Manu, Terry will be on Bowen and Harris on Parker. The key will be if Howard can stay out of foul trouble guarding Manu. This is assuming this switch is true. I'm here in Dallas and haven't heard about it yet.

If you're listening to the Ticket, you'll never get it. ESPN broke it about 50 minutes ago.

picnroll
05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Why would Dallas let it be known before game time that they were making a lineup change?

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Why would San Antonio say their starting PG isn't 100%?

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
If you're listening to the Ticket, you'll never get it. ESPN broke it about 50 minutes ago.

The Ticket is usually on top of stuff like this...had it on all day and haven't heard anything about it...

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:07 PM
The Ticket is usually on top of stuff like this...had it on all day and haven't heard anything about it...

They always get scooped.

This news once again proves it.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
They always get scooped.

This news once again proves it.

Hahahaha, give me a break. The Ticket breaks in at any time with big news. Not that this is really "huge" news but I would've thought they'd have mentioned it if it was verified with the Mavs...

Who reported it on ESPN Radio?

Mavtek
05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Now Manu really has to come ready to play. Griffin was the Manu-stopper in Game 1. Manu should be free to do whatever he wants now. No one in that starting lineup can stay with him.

Uh just so you know, Josh Howard can stop Manu pretty easily, he's done it everytime he's played him this season.

Supergirl
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM

You really think they consider Howard to be their weakest defender? I thought he was better than Terry, who seems to be about as good a defender as Nash.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Howard is one of the Mavs best defenders...

picnroll
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Howard is a gambling defender and gambling on a healthy Manu can get you in trouble real quick.

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Hahahaha, give me a break. The Ticket breaks in at any time with big news. Not that this is really "huge" news but I would've thought they'd have mentioned it if it was verified with the Mavs...

Who reported it on ESPN Radio?

The afternoon show on ESPN did.

The Ticket may break in with big news, but they're hardly ever the first. But who knows - we have 4 hours before tipoff. They might get it by then.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
You really think they consider Howard to be their weakest defender? I thought he was better than Terry, who seems to be about as good a defender as Nash.

Then why did the Mavs start Howard on Bowen last game? If he's so good, why would he start on the Spurs weakest wing player?

leemajors
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Uh just so you know, Josh Howard can stop Manu pretty easily, he's done it everytime he's played him this season.

ginobili can get his against anyone.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
The afternoon show on ESPN did.

The Ticket may break in with big news, but they're hardly ever the first. But who knows - we have 4 hours before tipoff. They might get it by then.

Did they have a guest on that broke it?

You've proven it...

103.3 >>>>>>>> 1310

:hat lol

Supergirl
05-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Then why did the Mavs start Howard on Bowen last game? If he's so good, why would he start on the Spurs weakest wing player?

That is a good question. Perhaps because they thought Terry could keep up with Parker better, and Griffin being their best defender should guard Manu in an attempt to shut him down. But neither one really happened.

I think the Spurs and the Mavs pose all sorts of match up problems for each other, and the winner of the series will be the team/coach that can best exploit their advantages.

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Did they have a guest on that broke it?

You've proven it...

103.3 >>>>>>>> 1310

:hat lol

Idiot. They're sitting in the ATT Center today. They've been around the team and the following media for 3 days now. They've heard everything that's gone on.

If you think the story isn't true, then say so. Don't be all pissy because your little frat-boy friends on the Ticket can't play "reporter" for an afternoon.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Since Griffin started, it was just the way the matchups worked. Howard isn't a weak defender. There wasn't anyone else for him to guard.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 04:35 PM

I'd guess it was because the Mavs played Griffin, who is supposedly a defensive stopper, on Manu, and that left Howard with only Bowen to guard. That lineup has the added advantage of likely keeping Howard out of foul trouble.

I wonder, if the Mavs do go to that lineup, how long they can actually stay with it. If you start Terry and Harris together, at some point, you have to start rotating them, I'd think -- or you have to play without a true point (unless you count Marquis Daniels as a point guard, which is marginally true). That decision basically sends Griffin to the end of the bench and promotes Daniels from 6 minutes to much more time on the floor.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Since Griffin started, it was just the way the matchups worked. Howard isn't a weak defender.

From what I have seen of him, he's a good help defender.

As timvp said earlier, I don't think he's a good one-on-one defender. As a Mavs fan said in this thread, he gets in foul trouble easily when trying to defend 1-on-1.

I guess we'll find out when he tries to guard Manu (if this starting lineup change is actually true).

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I'd guess it was because the Mavs played Griffin, who is supposedly a defensive stopper, on Manu, and that left Howard with only Bowen to guard. That lineup has the added advantage of likely keeping Howard out of foul trouble.

I wonder, if the Mavs do go to that lineup, how long they can actually stay with it. If you start Terry and Harris together, at some point, you have to start rotating them, I'd think -- or you have to play without a true point (unless you count Marquis Daniels as a point guard, which is marginally true). That decision basically sends Griffin to the end of the bench and promotes Daniels from 6 minutes to much more time on the floor.
Daniels is currently in AJ's doghouse. He can't do anything without looking over at the bench.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Daniels is currently in AJ's doghouse. He can't do anything without looking over at the bench.

Why is he in the doghouse? He averaged over 10ppg during the season. What happened? Is he actually in the dog house or just a victim of a shortened playoff rotation?

mabber
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM

Cuz they wanted Griffin to guard Manu. Not only is Griffin a better defender than Howard but it would keep Howard out of potentially getting in foul trouble. They need Howard's offense and don't want him getting tired out guarding Manu. I guess he'll have to suck it up tonight if he's to guard Manu as I think he will in this scenario. Stackhouse will take his turn on Manu when he comes off the bench.

picnroll
05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Idiot. They're sitting in the ATT Center today. They've been around the team and the following media for 3 days now. They've heard everything that's gone on.

If you think the story isn't true, then say so. Don't be all pissy because your little frat-boy friends on the Ticket can't play "reporter" for an afternoon.
Mavs' fans calling each other names. Isn't that our job? :lol

mabber
05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Why is he in the doghouse? He averaged over 10ppg during the season. What happened? Is he actually in the dog house or just a victim of a shortened playoff rotation?

He's not really in the doghouse. Avery just doesn't trust him enough yet. If he makes a mistake or two he'll get yanked. Remember that ridiculous high pass he tried to make that went soaring out of bounds? He got immediately yanked. He'll get playing time in this series.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM

All I was asking is WHO said it!! I know who the guys on ESPN are, all you had to say was XXXX reported it...

I'll give this one to 103.3...

1. It's not THAT big of a story.
2. They're the voice of the Mavs so they're onsite for the broadcast.

But using this to draw a conclusion about the 2 stations is rediculous. The Ticket is the home of the Cowboys, and even before they were they had Mickey Spagnola from dallascowboys.com on the air several times a day. They had the Cowboys draft picsk a couple minutes before ESPN TV showed them, and they aired the convo's between Jerry / Parcells and their picks...

The Ticket >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ESPN Radio

ESPN Radio's ass is chapped over the Cowboys going to The Ticket. Jerry knows what's up though...

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't know it for a fact, but that's sure the way it looks. He got yanked immediately after throwing that pass away in the first game, and you could see he knew it was coming. I think he's a good player. Maybe it's just his hamstring and rust.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't know it for a fact, but that's sure the way it looks. He got yanked immediately after throwing that pass away in the first game, and you could see he knew it was coming. I think he's a good player. Maybe it's just his hamstring and rust.

He is somewhat in the doghouse...AJ just doesn't tolerate mistakes from him. He was a big help at times during the season, but I don't expect to see him much in this series. TO's are magnified way too much...

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:46 PM
ESPN Radio's ass is chapped over the Cowboys going to The Ticket. Jerry knows what's up though...

My, aren't we sensitive. Do you actually know anyone that works over there? You sound as though someone badmouthed your best friend. It's ok - they got scooped today and will again in the future. :king

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
He is somewhat in the doghouse...AJ just doesn't tolerate mistakes from him. He was a big help at times during the season, but I don't expect to see him much in this series. TO's are magnified way too much...
He played pretty well in the first game against Memphis, and then the big squadoosh. Just given the lineups, I'll be surprised if he doesn't play more.

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM

'Quis had a good few games against the Kings a couple years ago and got paid for it (he makes more than Howard right now, I believe). Since then, he's done little to show that he's worth that amount.

If he plays, he's out there on a very short leash. It's a shame, though - the guys has shown flashes at times.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
'Quis had a good few games against the Kings a couple years ago and got paid for it (he makes more than Howard right now, I believe). Since then, he's done little to show that he's worth that amount.

If he plays, he's out there on a very short leash. It's a shame, though - the guys has shown flashes at times.

My point is that if you start Harris and Terry you face two choices. You either: (1) play them together for long minutes and trust Daniels to run your offense for extended periods of time as well; or (2) play them together to start the game, and then intersperse them to give each guy rest at different points in time during the game, but losing whatever benefit you get from the Harris/Terry lineup for large portions of the game. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Quis got paid because he wasn't drafted -- like a 2nd round pick who didn't have a guaranteed contract. It's the same deal that got Boozer, Arenas, and Ginobili paid earlier than some of their teammates who were first rounders.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Daniels makes $5.4M
Howard makes $875k

$5.9, $6.4, $6.9 (next 3 yrs for Daniels)

Daniels was better off not being drafted and having the Mavs commit to him after 1 season...

Howard will get his eventually...for now, he's probably the best bargain in the league...

picnroll
05-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Wasn't Daniels a FA rookie signing?

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Wasn't Daniels a FA rookie signing?

That was my bad; I forgot that. It's fixed.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
My point is that if you start Harris and Terry you face two choices. You either: (1) play them together for long minutes and trust Daniels to run your offense for extended periods of time as well; or (2) play them together to start the game, and then intersperse them to give each guy rest at different points in time during the game, but losing whatever benefit you get from the Harris/Terry lineup for large portions of the game. It will be interesting to see how it works.
I've been thinking the same thing. I'm not sure that lineup will do much for the Mavs. I think they risk having their second team really get eaten up. Maybe they are going to put in Armstrong and Griffin for defense and just let Stack jack it up.

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Quis got paid because he wasn't drafted -- like a 2nd round pick who didn't have a guaranteed contract. It's the same deal that got Boozer, Arenas, and Ginobili paid earlier than some of their teammates who were first rounders.

He was actually undrafted, but that's not a big deal. The guys simply isn't living up to his contract here in Dallas. Hell, maybe Cuban can "Nash" him and he'll become the next MVP somewhere else.

Shank
05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Maybe they are going to put in Armstrong and Griffin for defense and just let Stack jack it up.

I will shit my pants if Stack is given the greenlight to jack it up. Even in the first game, I was yelling at the TV anytime he threw it up.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I guess Armstrong is another possibility to run the point when either Harris or Terry is out of the game. And, I suppose, Game 1 might suggest that Dallas isn't terribly reliant on a traditional point (or any other position, for that matter) initiating offense in any usual sense.

Maybe AJ just goes with a shorter rotation by dropping Griffin back to the end of the bench and playing Dampier, Stackhouse, maybe Daniels, with Mbenga for foul-based emergencies.

????????
05-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Stackhouse - take all of the shots you want. All Mavs - keep dribbling and taking fade away jump shots. Copy your, cough, leader Dirk.

leemajors
05-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Daniels makes $5.4M
Howard makes $875k

$5.9, $6.4, $6.9 (next 3 yrs for Daniels)

Daniels was better off not being drafted and having the Mavs commit to him after 1 season...

Howard will get his eventually...for now, he's probably the best bargain in the league...

i wonder what they will offer him extension-wise this summer, supposedly talks will begin. he can command a good sum if he wishes.

JLH Fans
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Logical move.
Josh on Gino, AJ rely on hid team's defense,with this change he try strengten the offense and ouscore the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
I guess Armstrong is another possibility to run the point when either Harris or Terry is out of the game. And, I suppose, Game 1 might suggest that Dallas isn't terribly reliant on a traditional point (or any other position, for that matter) initiating offense in any usual sense.

Which may be why the big shake up. Having single digit assists in a game would be cause for concern.

Shank
I used to make pizzas for Vinny and his hot-ass wife when I was in high school in San Antonio. Good times.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Stackhouse - take all of the shots you want. All Mavs - keep dribbling and taking fade away jump shots. Copy your, cough, leader Dirk.

Dirk, cough, led them to 60 wins and was huge in the 4th quarter of games all season long and in the 1st round of the playoffs. I don't think you can really find fault in his style can you?

I don't want Stackhouse shooting either...

J.T.
05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Dirk, cough, led them to 60 wins and was huge in the 4th quarter of games all season long and in the 1st round of the playoffs. I don't think you can really find fault in his style can you?

I don't want Stackhouse shooting either...

And Dirk will lead them to yet another playoff exit.

LEONARD
05-09-2006, 05:20 PM

You're entitled to your opinion...

Dirk is still young and so is most of the Mavs team. If it doesn't work out this year, they'll be right back in it next year.

There are lots of HoF caliber players that missed out on titles due to Jordan's run (and others)...that doesn't mean they weren't great players and leaders. The Spurs / Lakers / Pistons haven't left much room for other teams to win a title in the last 6+ years....

JLH Fans
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=LEONARD]You're entitled to your opinion...

Dirk is still young and so is most of the Mavs team. If it doesn't work out this year, they'll be right back in it next year.

So does the Spurs.Not to mention Pistons as well.
I

ShoogarBear
05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
I will shit my pants if Stack is given the greenlight to jack it up. Even in the first game, I was yelling at the TV anytime he threw it up.

The best part about Game 1 is that now Stack will feel he's got it going on and will be firing it up for at least the next two games, hit or miss.

Stack = Spurs $$$

1Parker1
05-09-2006, 05:36 PM
The best part about Game 1 is that now Stack will feel he's got it going on and will be firing it up for at least the next two games, hit or miss.

Stack = Spurs $$$

Now all we need is KVH to come back...:smokin

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm simply guessing, but I'm thinking that if this happens, it's all about AJ just shortening his rotation. He'll ironman some of these guys if he can tonight with three days of rest coming up.

It still seems like an awfully abrupt change to make after one playoff loss on the road by a team that won 60 games and swept its first round series.

ducks
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
good I wanted to bet on manu's output

SAGambler
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Horry on Dirk.
Bruce on Howard.

But I suspect you will probably find on those same nights that Dirk is also hitting at a high rate.

20 points from Howard don't win nothing, if there is no other help...

mavsfan1000
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm assuming Terry and Howard will alternate defending Ginobili and Harris will stay on Parker. This might allow DA to guard Parker a little bit also. Dallas is more worried about Parker than Manu imo. Terry shouldn't be guarding Parker because those are the type of players that give Terry problems. Ones that penetrate a lot with their speed. Harris is better equipped for that challenge.

leemajors
05-09-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm assuming Terry and Howard will alternate defending Ginobili and Harris will stay on Parker. This might allow DA to guard Parker a little bit also. Dallas is more worried about Parker than Manu imo. Terry shouldn't be guarding Parker because those are the type of players that give Terry problems. Ones that penetrate a lot with their speed. Harris is better equipped for that challenge.

but will he be up to playing the minutes? i always thought harris was a nice gear shift from starter to bench - shooter to slasher to mix up the playing style. i don't really understand this move.

mavsfan1000
05-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Armstrong and Daniels can play point guard as well. Terry can go to point guard when Van Exel comes into the game but Parker is a lineup altering type of player. Dallas is forced to adjust to it.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Armstrong and Daniels can play point guard as well. Terry can go to point guard when Van Exel comes into the game but Parker is a lineup altering type of player. Dallas is forced to adjust to it.
Not intended to offend, but did someone steal your password? That's a very good observation.

T Park
05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Uh just so you know, Josh Howard can stop Manu pretty easily, he's done it everytime he's played him this season

:lmao

ducks
05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
why did aj announce this so early?
how early do they have to tell the other team?

mavsfan1000
05-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah AJ shouldn't have announced it. Popovich didn't announce Horry starting that I noticed. Bad move by AJ.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 06:36 PM
:lmao

Well just as a side note, on the season Manu only shot 30% against the Mavs in 3 games.

He needs to come up big today.

T Park
05-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah I agree, Ginobili needs to nut up and show up.

Tired of this pansy bullshit like he was pulling the other day.

FromWayDowntown
Yeah AJ shouldn't have announced it. Popovich didn't announce Horry starting that I noticed. Bad move by AJ.

Popovich did, though, in a sense -- Horry started both Game 5 and Game 6 against Sacramento. If the Mavs weren't prepared for him to start -- or if Mavs' fans were expecting something different -- they weren't watching very closely.

v2000
Even though Terry's nickname is "Jet" or whatever, he's not really that fast.
His nickname is JET because those are his initials.

ducks
this is not manu's early but it is all tp's fault
played bad against mavs
church of manu to small sample
played bad on the road this year in playoffs
to small of sample
church of manu

I EXPECT a 30 point outing from manu tonight
tp is hurt STEP UP
you step up tonight like tp has all season you might get more plays called for you

mavsfan1000
05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I also heard that Mohammad would be starting again from somewhere which ended up being false. I say Dallas should be deceptive on their plans or not mention anything. The worst thing to do is be predictable and give the other coach time to adjust to that strategy.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 06:41 PM

Did AJ announce it or it was leaked by someone near the team?

ducks
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
espn radio

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Did AJ announce it or it was leaked by someone near the team?

I suspect the latter is true. I guess AJ could have told the media of his plans during the Mavs shoot around or something like that, but that would surprise me.

I don't think an announcement early in the day is much different than an announcement when the starters are introduced. If Pop wanted to change his lineup, he could do it -- and even if he didn't do it before tip, he could make a change at the first dead ball without any real difference to his team.

Kori Ellis
05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
espn radio

I know it was on espn radio. But AJ didn't announce it on ESPN radio.

ducks
05-09-2006, 06:47 PM
I know there are rules that you have to tell the other team who starts and who can play

I thought it was like 2 hours before game time now 7

manustarting2gd
05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Howard is a tough matchup for Manu. He is a little quirky but damn.. Dude is big, long armed and relatively fast. Kind of a TAYSHAUN PRINCE-like player. I think the reason Howard started on Bruce in Game 1 was AJ's plan to let him rest on D so he could have energy and try to get going on the offensive end. The spotlight is on JOSH HOWARD to step it up on both ends of the court. All i know is Manu can out-think and has the anticipation of a clarivoyant at times and will have to do it tonight.

AJ is a POP Clone so we will see changes throughout the series from both sides. Devin Harris is about as fast as Tony when healthy..so I hope that rest in practice did TP some good, cause he may end up in foul trouble himself if Harris really attacks him.

On a side note:Lets do it again TIMMY! Before Game 1 , I hadnt seen the REAL TIM DUNCAN since Game 7 of last years finals...

LEONARD
05-10-2006, 09:15 AM

:lol

Dirk and HIS Mavs are feeling pretty good right now...

So does the Spurs.

Spurs are OLD...

I EXPECT a 30 point outing from manu tonight

Close :fro

leemajors
05-10-2006, 09:19 AM
but will he be up to playing the minutes? i always thought harris was a nice gear shift from starter to bench - shooter to slasher to mix up the playing style. i don't really understand this move.

it makes sense now. i don't think harris ended up playing too many minutes either. nice move by aj.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Well this substitution of Avery's made me look brilliant. I posted on mavtalk a couple months ago that the Harris/Terry combo is the best way to go against the spurs. It helps the mavs offensively by having Terry play off the ball and it forces a couple bad matchups for the spurs. Also Harris can guard Parker a lot better than Terry. Manu is not the Manu of last year and so Dallas can get away with Terry on Manu. The main thing though is it speeded up the tempo to where the mavs like it.

SA Gunslinger
05-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I hope the layup drill ends Saturday. Does Devin Harris even have a jumper?

LEONARD
05-10-2006, 10:50 AM

Not much of one...

mabber
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM

Harris is about where Parker was 2 years ago in regards to his jumper (i.e. he has a lot of room for improvement). If he works hard on it like Parker did he will have the chance to be as good or better than Parker.