PDA

View Full Version : Adelman done in Sacto

J.T.
05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Adelman will be let go at afternoon news conference

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Rick Adelman is apparently out as the head coach of the Sacramento Kings.

According to sources, and also reported on the Sacramento Bee website, Adelman will be relieved of duties at a 6 p.m. ET news conference. Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie is expected to make the announcement.

Adelman was without a contract after the Kings were eliminated from the NBA Playoffs by San Antonio.

Adelman has won 752 games in his NBA career, which has included stops in Portland and Golden State as well as Sacramento.

Sacramento won 25 of their last 36 regular-season games shortly after Ron Artest was acquired in a trade for Peja Stojakovic, the last remaining player from the 1999 roster that thrilled the NBA with its wide-open, free-flowing style in the first of eight straight trips to the playoffs.

"I'm really proud of the way the guys finished this season, because people had written us off -- said we were done as a franchise," said Adelman, who didn't want to discuss his future Friday night. "We've built a great foundation for the stuff we want to be able to do. I'm very optimistic about it."

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Incredible.

Bob Weiss, come on down.

ducks
05-09-2006, 04:13 PM
not surprised rumor was that was going to happen

pj to kings
rick head assist with spurs

ahf might be happy

Brutalis
05-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, this proves the Kings are fucking stupid. That's about it.

BillsCarnage
05-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I bet they'll have a long look at the Suns' Ivaroni. He's ripe for the pickin.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Adelman will do well with another team anyway. His postseason scrimmage with the Spurs helps his case.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I'd be surprised if they can keep that group together now. Adelman has done pretty good jobs in both Portland and Sacramento and has made the playoffs every year that he's coached other than the 2 years he spent with Golden State.

He's over .500 in his playoff coaching career, which is a pretty solid accomplishment.

missmyzte
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Wow, I didn't think they'd actually do it. Adelman has done a great job with what he had there, but sometimes the most brilliant moves are those that are the riskiest. We'll see how the cookie crumbles.

SA210
05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
not surprised rumor was that was going to happen

pj to kings
rick head assist with spurs

ahf might be happy
If Rick comes, someone tell him not to forget to bring Bruce's DPOY award that Ron's been holding on to. He needs it back.

A-Train
05-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Time to ask Rick how he feels about riding shotgun with Pop for a season or two.

1Parker1
05-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Dumb move by the Kings. There aren't that many winning, proven coaches in the NBA left. He's done a pretty great job for the Kings all these years. I guess they're really trying to turn the team around fully with its new players and everything.

ducks
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Good move except for ron was against it

it was time for a fresh face with the kings

you could say resign him for one year and see what he does with that with ron their the whole year

but why would rick do that?

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 05:09 PM
RA will get a head job next year. Eight straight years in the playoffs, he's too good to ride the pine in SA.

BillsCarnage
05-09-2006, 05:12 PM
RA will get a head job next year. Eight straight years in the playoffs, he's too good to ride the pine in SA.

Toronto... Atlanta... Minney... Seattle... Maybe back to the Warriors?

If he doesn't have a job next season it'll be his choice to sit out a season.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Good move except for ron was against it

it was time for a fresh face with the kings

you could say resign him for one year and see what he does with that with ron their the whole year

but why would rick do that?
Ron's statement about Rick and Bonzi should have been a red flag for the Kings management...Chemistry goes a long way. Especially coming out from a guy of Ron Artest.. Look at the Heat 2005 vs. Heat 2006...

but I kinda agree with the "fresh face" route since Adelman hasn't delivered in a while, even this last run, "may have been flukey" just like Chris Webber's 5 year Loaded Contract, Mike Bibby's Contract Complacency...Kings are tired of the team "riding high off the Postseason glimmer of success " only to shy away when it really, really counts. Maybe a new coach will end that predisposition.

CubanMustGo
05-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Watching the press conference ... Petrie announced EVERYONE is gone, assistants too. Very awkward body language, looks like he is delivering a message he doesn't 100% agree with.

Adelman will have a press conference tomorrow afternoon.

I just hope Maloof doesn't fuck with PJ during the playoff run. Don't need that distraction.

tlongII
05-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Dumb move by the Kings. Hopefully he will move back to Portland. Rick's son-in-law is a good friend of mine.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Well, this proves the Kings are fucking stupid. That's about it.0-8 in the playoffs. Its time for a change. Your well thought out and provacative posts are what would be considered stupid.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Ron's statement about Rick and Bonzi should have been a red flag for the Kings management...Chemistry goes a long way. Especially coming out from a guy of Ron Artest.. Look at the Heat 2005 vs. Heat 2006...

but I kinda agree with the "fresh face" route since Adelman hasn't delivered in a while, even this last run, "may have been flukey" just like Chris Webber's 5 year Loaded Contract, Mike Bibby's Contract Complacency...Kings are tired of the team "riding high off the Postseason glimmer of success " only to shy away when it really, really counts. Maybe a new coach will end that predisposition.
As a King's fan, Ron's comments about Rick are the only things I'm worried about. Ron NEEDS a player's coach. Thankfully, that rules out Don Nelson.

I agree completely with your last paragraph and I think a lot of Sac fans feel the same way.

JLH Fans
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I wish he would be the coach in Minny instead of the damned Casey....
I would accept a Wells (S&T) for Davis trade as well.

Vashner
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
They hired... for millions of dollars.. one of biggest troublemakers and WORST rapper in NBA history and EXPECTED that to carry them?

Yea.. I am sure it's the coaches fault and not Artest and the team.

NaS
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Watching the press conference ... Petrie announced EVERYONE is gone, assistants too. Very awkward body language, looks like he is delivering a message he doesn't 100% agree with.

I just hope Maloof doesn't fuck with PJ during the playoff run. Don't need that distraction.

Petrie and Adelman have a VERY strong relationship. This is a tough one for Geoff.

PixelPusher
05-09-2006, 09:42 PM

Uh, yeah I don't think P.J. is a RonRon and Bonzi kinda guy. :rolleyes

If the Maloofs are dumb enough to hire Don Nelson, switch to the Weather Channel on TV and watch the skies over Sacramento turn black with the smoke of thousands of burning hats and jerseys.

Reggie Miller
05-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Since I don't follow the Kings, I don't feel qualified to discuss team dynamics and the stuff that really counts. However, I have to ask the Maloofs, "who are you going to get?" Seriously. Do you think that they actually have a specific plan here, or was this a knee-jerk reaction to a contract year? I don't see an obvious candidate.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Since I don't follow the Kings, I don't feel qualified to discuss team dynamics and the stuff that really counts. However, I have to ask the Maloofs, "who are you going to get?" Seriously. Do you think that they actually have a specific plan here, or was this a knee-jerk reaction to a contract year? I don't see an obvious candidate.
the maloofs and petrie are to smart. in my opinion this was decided long before they were even in the playoffs. i think they have a plan in the works. i just wish i knew what it is.

caŽlo
05-10-2006, 12:28 AM
i wonder what artest have to say about this. hmm

ALVAREZ6
05-10-2006, 05:39 AM
Get rid of Pop, bring in Rick

jochhejaam
05-10-2006, 06:16 AM
I agree, I thought he did a good job coaching in the series against the Spurs, go figure.

So much for Artest offering to forego his salary next year to keep Adelman.

themvp
05-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Wrong move for Sacramento. They should keep Rick.

sickdsm
05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Decent isn't good enough. Adelman has been there too long and not had enough success.

Fans would rather see a up and coming team with potential than a slightly better decent team.

This is exactly why i've been advocating the firing of Flip for nearly half a decade from the wolves.

Rick had had some severly loaded teams and has failed to deliver.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Decent isn't good enough. Adelman has been there too long and not had enough success.

Fans would rather see a up and coming team with potential than a slightly better decent team.

This is exactly why i've been advocating the firing of Flip for nearly half a decade from the wolves.

Rick had had some severly loaded teams and has failed to deliver.
i agree. its time to move onm. anyone who thinks this is a bad move is smoking crack. his rotations suck, he doesnt call timeouts at the right fucking timne and he lets the players play however the hell they want. whoever comes in to coach will be good. im sure petrie and the maloofs have some people in mind.dont get me wrong i love what rick did for us when he was here for 8 years but the way i look at it is he never took us over the hump. every single big game or close game it seems like we lost while he was here. from what i hear game 2 sealed his fate.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 03:24 PM
nope. its time to move on. this team doesnt need a passive coach. either way this teamn is gonna be scary good next year.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Get rid of Pop, bring in Rick
how bout mike bibby for beno udrih.

Texas_Ranger
05-10-2006, 03:54 PM
how bout mike bibby for beno udrih.

OK FOR ME, BRING HIM, but he will pay from the bench, I like TP more than MB

Texas_Ranger
05-10-2006, 03:55 PM

I agree, Rick was good.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 10:23 PM
OK FOR ME, BRING HIM, but he will pay from the bench, I like TP more than MB
right now i agree. but i think mike tuned out rick. i will bet you that mike will play awesome next year. hes better then TP and he will play like it next season trust me. he just needed someone new to coach him. thank god the maloofs realized that.