PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pistons Fans...

spurschick
05-09-2006, 07:06 PM
What are you going to do with all the time off you'll have waiting for the winner of Nets/Heat? :lol I never thought the Cavs had a chance, but dayum... I didn't think these would look like scrimmage games.

J.T.
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a feeling the entire second round will be done early...in both conferences.

FreshPrince22
05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Cavs play 10X better at home. I still don't think we'll sweep. The Pistons haven't swept a series since the late 80s.

Darrin
05-09-2006, 08:13 PM
1989 NBA Finals - that's the last sweep they weren't on the wrong end of.

The Pistons are giving the Cavs way too much confidence right now.

Bloodline666
05-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Cavs play 10X better at home. I still don't think we'll sweep. The Pistons haven't swept a series since the late 80s.
Wasn't that when the "Bad Boys" swept "Showtime" in the Finals?

bdubya
05-10-2006, 12:29 AM

Yesssirrrr!!!

Darrin
05-10-2006, 07:54 AM

To hear the Lakers tell it, it was simply because Kareem was too old (Game 4 was the last of his career), Byron Scott (lost for the whole series), and Magic Johnson (hamstring pull in game 2, played in game 3) were injured.

But I remember having a 3-2 series lead the year before and there was this ankle injury that some scrub named Isiah Thomas suffered. And the Pistons had a chance on the last possession of game 6 to win the Championship, and Joe Dumars short-armed the shot...

The Pistons were on a mission that season. They improved from 54 wins to 63, established a dominant homecourt (4 losses), cruised through 3 of the 4 rounds in series sweeps (Celtics, Bucks, and Lakers). The only two losses came to the 47-win Chicago Bulls in the Conference Finals.

DarkReign
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
To hear the Lakers tell it, it was simply because Kareem was too old (Game 4 was the last of his career), Byron Scott (lost for the whole series), and Magic Johnson (hamstring pull in game 2, played in game 3) were injured.

But I remember having a 3-2 series lead the year before and there was this ankle injury that some scrub named Isiah Thomas suffered. And the Pistons had a chance on the last possession of game 6 to win the Championship, and Joe Dumars short-armed the shot...

The Pistons were on a mission that season. They improved from 54 wins to 63, established a dominant homecourt (4 losses), cruised through 3 of the 4 rounds in series sweeps (Celtics, Bucks, and Lakers). The only two losses came to the 47-win Chicago Bulls in the Conference Finals.

I remember that lovingly.

One of the most dominant marches to a Championship in any sport I have ever watched.

Darrin
05-10-2006, 11:59 AM
I remember that lovingly.

One of the most dominant marches to a Championship in any sport I have ever watched.

My favorite part of that series - James "Big Game" Worthy (and 1988 Finals MVP) missing free throws down the stretch of game 2. Then the block by Dumars on David Rivers, staying in the air to save it into Bill Laimbeer's waiting arms. Thomas throwing the ball into the air when the clock ran out in game 4.

boutons_
05-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Cavs will find it for one game @CLE, the Pistons will yawn and let them have it, then finish off 4-1.

mikejones99
05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Why does Rip say, Yes Sir so much?

DarkReign
05-10-2006, 02:27 PM

Why do birds, suddenly appear
When you are...so near

Water's wet. Sky is blue. Women have secrets. Who gives a fuck.
-Bruce Willis, Last Boy Scout.

dunno

tlongII
05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, I remember the 1990 Finals much more clearly.

DarkReign
05-10-2006, 03:55 PM

hehehe...

Darrin
05-10-2006, 04:12 PM

It began like a nickname. He would get to the end of an interview, and the last question would be like "Are you going to win your next game?" and he would say "Yesssirr."

The first time I heard him say it was in the 2003 Playoffs. People walk up to him and say "Yesssirr" now. So it became like a signature.

Darrin
05-10-2006, 04:16 PM

I actually liked that Blazers game - Buck Williams, Clyde Drexler, Jerome Kersey, Drazen Petrovic, Wayne Cooper, Kevin Duckworth, Terry Porter, Danny Young, Mark Bryant, and a nephew Cliffy.

The 1992 Finals were just tragic.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-10-2006, 09:39 PM
1989 NBA Finals - that's the last sweep they weren't on the wrong end of.

The Pistons are giving the Cavs way too much confidence right now.

2004 Lakers swept in Five. :elephant

Vizzini
05-10-2006, 10:07 PM
The 1992 Finals were just tragic

You have no idea how much I wanted the Trailblazers to win that series. I hated the Bulls, I hate (but do respect) Michael Jordan, and I so wanted them to get their asses handed to them by the Blazers and then the Suns the next year. I can't get across how much I hated the Bulls. Their first championship wins were the most painful sports memories other than the big losses of a team I directly rooted for.

Darrin
05-10-2006, 10:24 PM
You have no idea how much I wanted the Trailblazers to win that series. I hated the Bulls, I hate (but do respect) Michael Jordan, and I so wanted them to get their asses handed to them by the Blazers and then the Suns the next year. I can't get across how much I hated the Bulls. Their first championship wins were the most painful sports memories other than the big losses of a team I directly rooted for.

I outright hated the Bulls, and if they ever get seriously competitive again, that ire will return. They even got me to cheer for Karl Malone to get a ring. That's saying something.

I was devastated by that Blazer team losing to them and the Suns. I thought Charles Barkley was going to get his ring. KJ way my guy on that team. Him and Tony Dumas.

Vizzini
05-10-2006, 10:33 PM
I outright hated the Bulls, and if they ever get seriously competitive again, that ire will return. They even got me to cheer for Karl Malone to get a ring. That's saying something.

I was devastated by that Blazer team losing to them and the Suns. I thought Charles Barkley was going to get his ring. KJ way my guy on that team. Him and Tony Dumas.

Being from Michigan, I was a "Thunder" Dan Marleje fan, so it was doubly painful. I haved made my "peace" with the Bulls, ever since they totally tanked the year Jordan left. So if they become sucessful again, I won't hate them b/c of what they were. I really wanted to see Chuck get his ring as well. That Phoenix team was awesome that year.

Darrin
05-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Being from Michigan, I was a "Thunder" Dan Marleje fan, so it was doubly painful. I haved made my "peace" with the Bulls, ever since they totally tanked the year Jordan left. So if they become sucessful again, I won't hate them b/c of what they were. I really wanted to see Chuck get his ring as well. That Phoenix team was awesome that year.

The Chippeawa, eh? You must be rooting for the Clippers tonight. :)

Michigan has to be the only area in the world that doesn't kiss Jordan's feet. You have to admit, he remained a compelling figure no matter what side you were on, you chose a side. He was either a hack protected by the referees or the greatest player ever to lace them up.

As for the Bulls, there is just such a rich history between the teams. The Pistons first 50-win season was derailed in the playoffs by this 8-year-old franchise, the Bulls. The top 3 scoring nights in Pistons history came against the Bulls. And then there's the Bad Boys v. Jordan.

It's as natural to hate the Bulls as a Pistons fan as it is to hate the Bears and Packers as a Lions fans.

FreshPrince22
05-16-2006, 10:22 PM
What are you going to do with all the time off you'll have waiting for the winner of Nets/Heat? :lol I never thought the Cavs had a chance, but dayum... I didn't think these would look like scrimmage games.

So much for that... :depressed