PDA

View Full Version : Has an official ever been called out like

2centsworth
05-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Javey was today? The league can't possibly like that.

BTW, Javey does suck.

T-Pain
05-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Javey was today? The league can't possibly like that.

BTW, Javey does suck.
yeah, i dont think hes popular with the laker fans at the staples center either. i can barely remember him gettin that same chant over there awhile back.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-10-2006, 02:06 AM
I think "Javey Sucks" is a pretty standard chant. I know I've heard it before somewhere...

ponky
05-10-2006, 02:20 AM
The league doesn't care about a bunch of whining fans whose team lost because they didn't come out to play, except for Duncan. It happens all the time. Cheryl Miller asked Stern if all the foul calling in this years playoffs are maybe a bad thing because it turns off the fans. He said maybe it was but that he didn't care. The fouls were about even for both teams, the Spurs didn't play well.

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2006, 02:22 AM
The league doesn't care about a bunch of whining fans whose team lost because they didn't come out to play, except for Duncan. It happens all the time. Cheryl Miller asked Stern if all the foul calling in this years playoffs are maybe a bad thing because it turns off the fans. He said maybe it was but that he didn't care. The fouls were about even for both teams, the Spurs didn't play well.

Well Duncan tried to come and play but the refs put him on the bench.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2006, 02:22 AM
People have been chanting at Javie for years. This isn't a new thing.

2centsworth
05-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Spurs didn't come out to play I give you that. However, a ref being singled out by an entire areana can't be good.

Tek_XX
05-10-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm sure Javie's heard it before but this is probably the most intense in a long time.

ponky
05-10-2006, 02:30 AM
Spurs didn't come out to play I give you that. However, a ref being singled out by an entire areana can't be good.

Maybe so but I've seen it happen to a couple of other refs, usually senior officials like Bavetta, the two Crawfords, Javie and Salvatore. I still don't think it makes too much of a difference for the league, they have basically put this year's playoff in a lockdown, it's ridiculous. A lot of Mavs fans like to point out that the Mavs are 0-10 with Danny Crawford officiating (like Sunday) but it's not like we lost because of him on Sunday. I still think the officiating was consistent in this game, the Spurs got lots of calls in the first quarter but things were even as they were in the last game with the officiating.

2centsworth
05-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Maybe so but I've seen it happen to a couple of other refs, usually senior officials like Bavetta, the two Crawfords, Javie and Salvatore. I still don't think it makes too much of a difference for the league, they have basically put this year's playoff in a lockdown, it's ridiculous. A lot of Mavs fans like to point out that the Mavs are 0-10 with Danny Crawford officiating (like Sunday) but it's not like we lost because of him on Sunday. I still think the officiating was consistent in this game, the Spurs got lots of calls in the first quarter but things were even as they were in the last game with the officiating.
IMO officiating is the least of our worries.

whottt
05-10-2006, 02:58 AM
Hey...I got a question..

It seems some people remember that night when Javie went off on the Lakers and teed up half the team...it was very similar to tonights 10 fouls in 45 seconds debacle...

How many of you remember who the Lakers were playing that night?

whottt
05-10-2006, 03:01 AM
A comment from a known Spur hater at LG.net:

Anyone else enjoying watching the Spurs get hosed by the refs?

milkyway21
05-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Hey...I got a question..

It seems some people remember that night when Javie went off on the Lakers and teed up half the team...it was very similar to tonights 10 fouls in 45 seconds debacle...

How many of you remember who the Lakers were playing that night?how about a prior NVE-Javie feud or the Express News called "history if Ill will" when NVE played w/ the Nuggets before?

Van Exel's ejection follows prior trouble with referee

Web Posted: 05/10/2006 12:51 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

When referee Steve Javie tossed Spurs backup point guard Nick Van Exel on Tuesday night, it resumed a history of ill will between the two.

The low point in their relationship came in 2001. Then playing for the Denver Nuggets, Van Exel claimed that Javie called him a "miserable person" during a game in Milwaukee. He also claimed Javie cursed at him, using an expression unprintable in a family newspaper.

Van Exel made it relatively easy for Javie to eject him with 7:30 remaining in the second quarter Tuesday, throwing a towel after leaving the game and taking a seat on the bench. That brought a technical foul from Javie, Van Exel's second of the game.

Two technicals in a game automatically results in ejection, and Van Exel was on his feet and on his way to the Spurs' locker room before Javie finished making his "T" motion.

Van Exel's first technical came from complaining to Javie about a foul called on Tim Duncan, who was whistled for making what Van Exel believed was minimal contact on Mavericks forward Josh Howard.

The Duncan foul that earned Van Exel his first technical came with 8:35 left in the quarter.

It was clear Van Exel was still seething on the next two trips downcourt.

When Spurs coach Gregg Popovich removed him with 7:30 left, Van Exel expressed his outrage by throwing the towel. He did not throw the towel onto the court; rather, he tossed it to the baseline, with play taking place at the time at the far end of the court.

Javie had been eyeing Van Exel as he made his way to the bench, and when he threw the towel, the technical was immediate.:wtf

Van Exel was dressed and gone from the Spurs' locker room by the time the media was allowed inside.

He had, however, expressed previous frustration with Javie. After the incident in Milwaukee in 2001, Van Exel told the Denver Post that Javie "has been on me since I came into the league, basically."

"(Javie) has a grudge," Van Exel said then. "It's not fair that you pretty much know that before the game starts.

"You get into a situation where an official says something like that to me, and if I was saying something like that to him, I would be in trouble. I would get a technical. I would get thrown out of the game. But he comes up to me and tells me that 'You're a miserable person' and basically laughs in your face, and with a smirk, like 'You can't do anything about it.'"

Michael Finley, a teammate of Van Exel's for parts of two seasons in Dallas, said he did not know what it was that got Van Exel ejected.

"I don't even know how anything went down, to be honest with you," Finley said. "I turned around and he was walking out of the gym."

Finley said Van Exel had not mentioned past problems with Javie, either when the two played together in Dallas or at any point this season.

The loss of Van Exel likely had no impact on the game's outcome.

He missed his only shot in the five minutes he played and had one assist. He has made only 4 of 23 shots in the Spurs' eight playoff games.

MannyIsGod
05-10-2006, 03:12 AM
So he fucking ejected him for throwing a towel at the bench? Thats ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-10-2006, 03:14 AM
So he fucking ejected him for throwing a towel at the bench? Thats ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really. It's the same thing as in baseball. You don't show up the refs (umps).

Although it's pretty certain Javie knew what was coming based on what NVE was saying and probably did watch him since (IIRC, they were lining up for a FT attempt).

SpursWoman
05-10-2006, 06:40 AM

He threw the towel from the bench to the court. :fro

Spurs Dynasty
05-10-2006, 07:05 AM

Another blind idiot. Hold on while i puke ! The officiating was SOOO bad, it was the 3rd question asked of coach Pop in the post game interview. Even Reggie Miller called out 3 plays (that I saw before turning off the TV in disgust) that were OBVIOUSLY horrible calls... Reggie Miller !!

For you to say it was even is a crock, and you know it. Our fans know it, Spurs fans are good natured, sportsman like fans. For them to chant like that.. .at that volume, something was amiss.

It is critical that two teams that are so closely matched have a well officated game as any bias can tip the scales. Now, truthfully, most SPurs didnt show up, but that DOES NOT in any way excuse that pathetic show by the refs.

fyatuk
05-10-2006, 07:35 AM

You do realize that foul calls being even has nothing to do with the quality of officiating. Even the TNT announcers in the 3rd quarter were thinking the Spurs were getting screwed.

But that has nothing to do with the Spurs losing. The played 2 horrid games in a row, you can't expect to win ugly twice in a row in the playoffs.

George Gervin's Afro
05-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Javei is horrible. I was at game 2 in 2000 against Phoenix and Javie royally f*cked us. I was so angry I never forgot who he was and to this day hate when this guy calls a Spurs game.

pache100
05-10-2006, 08:14 AM
When referee Steve Javie tossed Spurs backup point guard Nick Van Exel on Tuesday night, it resumed a history of ill will between the two.

No referee should be allowed to bring personal feelings or grudges against any player into an arena. When they lose objectivity, they are not effective. I think they should line up all the referees for the NBA and shoot them and start over. They are so bad, and have gotten progressively worse...and I don't see any new blood coming into the squad, either. It's the same old crew year after year. If the league doesn't do something about it, they are going to chase away what fans they have left.

themvp
05-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Javie still sucks.

sanman53
05-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I remember DRob getting ticked at Javie in the 90's. I was watching a post-game interview (after a p/o game against Utah) on BSPN and it was the first time I heard Drob say anything like this: "It (referring to the ref's that game) pisses me off!"
Guess who was a part of that game: Javie.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Wow, if Javie threw him out for throwing a towel, on the bench, 96 feet away from the play of the game, that's really pathetic on Javie's part. Get over yourself.

MoSpur
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Let's get real Spurs fans. Be real about it. The Spurs did not match the energy the Mavericks brought from the beginning. Plain and simple. The Spurs lost this game. The refs made bad calls, but it was pretty even. The Mavericks' big men were in foul trouble early as well. I can't stand the Mavericks, Cuban, and Dallas period so don't respond saying I am not a Spurs fan. Its just the truth. The Spurs stunk last night.

LEONARD
05-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Well Duncan tried to come and play but the refs put him on the bench.

So that wasn't a charge on Tim??? (3rd foul)

SA210
05-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Would you be surprised if Bennette Salvitore was a ref for game 3?

:madrun

MoSpur
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I would not be surprised. The Spurs shouldn't worry about that crap though. Go out and play ball. Tim has stepped it up when it counts and no one wants to join him. What is up with that?

yavozerb
05-10-2006, 09:10 AM
There were some bad calls, but no more than usual...We just sucked from opening tip and thats what cost us the game!!I've noticed the spurs are getting much more involved into argueing with officials, that shit has to stop and get back to playing spurs basketball!!

George Gervin's Afro
05-10-2006, 09:20 AM
There were some bad calls, but no more than usual...We just sucked from opening tip and thats what cost us the game!!I've noticed the spurs are getting much more involved into argueing with officials, that shit has to stop and get back to playing spurs basketball!!

what he said..

:soapbox: