PDA

View Full Version : Nelson, Porter, Carlesimo candidate for Kings job

ducks
05-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Don Nelson leading candidate for Kings job? Porter, Carlesimo also candidates

Don Nelson was at his home in Maui when he learned Tuesday that two friends, Sacramento Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof, were suddenly looking for a new coach.

The location is important because it represents one of the obstacles Sacramento would face should it make a full-steam pitch to recruit Nelson as its Rick Adelman replacement.

Nelson was one of three names I heard most in the hours after Adelman was informed that his Kings reign was over. The others: Ex-Kings guard and assistant coach Terry Porter and San Antonio Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo.

However ...

If you believe, as I do, that choosing Adelman's replacement rests more with the Maloofs than team president Geoff Petrie -- and if you believe that the Maloofs are looking for a candidate with a more decorated résumé than Adelman's and the best shot at managing Ron Artest -- you can expect to hear more about Nelson in coming days.

Nelson is the only available coach who meets those requirements and he won't discourage the idea. The 27-year coaching veteran told ESPN.com via phone that, while still very content in X-and-O retirement and not quite ready to publicly discuss the opening, he'd listen to a Kings proposal because he's so fond of the Maloof brothers.

Nelson, though, has enjoyed what he often refers to as "the year of my life" since resigning as coach of the Dallas Mavericks in March 2005. The Kings have the financial wherewithal to offer the $5 million annual salary likely needed to lure Nellie back to the bench, but they would also have to convince the 65-year-old -- who turns 66 on Monday -- to give up the freedoms and luxuries of his new lifestyle.

ESPN.com reported in February that Nelson, according to multiple associates, has dropped hints about a possible return to coaching next season. Sacramento immediately emerged as the most obvious destination for a few reasons.

1. Nelson is sufficiently eccentric in his own right to click with Sacramento's new cornerstone player and the Kings need a coach who can reach Artest if they're committed to an Artest-centric future.

2. The Maloofs are undoubtedly willing to pay top dollar for a coach and are known to like making splashes, as evidenced by their gamble to trade for Artest in January and their not-so-secret attempts a year ago to hire Phil Jackson before Jackson returned to the Los Angeles Lakers.

3. Nelson is already working for the Maloofs. The madcap brothers own the production company that, with George Clooney as a producer, is putting together a basketball sitcom in which Nelson coaches a fictional expansion team in San Diego.

The Kings, furthermore, are not required to ask Dallas for permission to speak to Nelson. NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that Nelson, presently serving as a Mavs consultant, is a coaching free agent at season's end and thus free to entertain job offers for 2006-07.

Yet it remains to be seen if Petrie or even the Maloofs would replace Adelman with an offensive-minded coach, amid suspicions that they would rather not. Neither brother could not be reached for comment Tuesday and Petrie, who resisted the ouster of his longtime pal to the end, didn't reveal much about the search for Adelman's successor at a Tuesday news conference.

Nelson has the biggest sideline presence of any available coach and, by all accounts, has developed a close bond with the Maloofs. But Artest's arrival gave the Kings a top-shelf defensive presence for the first time in Adelman's run of eight consecutive playoff seasons. Nelson critics will say he's too free-wheeling to make the best use of Artest; Nelson backers will say that you don't have to be a defense-first coach if Artest is on your team.

If the Kings want to get closer to the San Antonio model, Carlesimo is a natural target. Porter, meanwhile, remains popular with Kings fans from his playing days, although I've also been advised by NBA coaching sources that -- after a year off following his ouster in Milwaukee -- Porter is a prime contender for Flip Saunders' staff in Detroit as the replacement for N.C. State-bound Sidney Lowe.

It also remains to be seen if Nelson can be lured back by anyone, even if he did emerge as the Kings' top target. Despite his official title, Nelson isn't consulted for much by Avery Johnson's Mavs. So he stays busy making real-estate transactions in Hawaii and on the mainland.

He recently took a vacation to New Zealand with wife Joy that he called his first-ever trip abroad for non-basketball reasons. He has also opened a new sports bar in downtown Dallas where he can be found playing shuffleboard whenever he's in Dallas.

He's enjoying it all, too.

"I'm not planning on coming back, but I don't know the future," Nelson said in a March radio interview with ESPN 103.3 FM in Dallas. "I just don't. I wish I did, but I don't know what's going to happen."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...marc&id=2439668

T Park
05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Carlesimo is a natural target. Porter, meanwhile, remains popular with Kings fans from his playing days, although I've also been advised by NBA coaching sources that -- after a year off following his ouster in Milwaukee -- Porter is a prime contender for Flip Saunders' staff in Detroit as the replacement for N.C. State-bound Sidney Lowe.

playing days in sacramento?

He coached there, but never played...........

SA210
05-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Maybe T Park would like PJ to take Manu with him.

CubanMustGo
05-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Cannot believe that ANYONE in their right mind would think about a 65-yo guy who has done less in the playoffs (with more resources) than Adelman. Wasn't that the reason they let Rick go, because he couldn't win the big game? And now you're going to put The Genius of Gimmick, The Dude without Defense, in charge of Sacto?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. If the Maloofs do it they deserve the results.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Cannot believe that ANYONE in their right mind would think about a 65-yo guy who has done less in the playoffs (with more resources) than Adelman. Wasn't that the reason they let Rick go, because he couldn't win the big game? And now you're going to put The Genius of Gimmick, The Dude without Defense, in charge of Sacto?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. If the Maloofs do it they deserve the results.
first of all thats not gonna happen. i can almost guarentee don nelson wont be the coach here. the maloofs got rid of adelman for a reason. why the fuck would they go after someone who is even worse at coaching defense if thats even possible. nobody said he was a top candidate for the job. that mark stein just looking for something dumnb to right. and as for pj i wouldnt mnind having him at all.

LittleGeneral
05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Ex-Kings guard and assistant coach Terry Porter . . . Porter, meanwhile, remains popular with Kings fans from his playing days . . .

Very cheap article. As T Park astutely observed, Porter never played with the Kings.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Very cheap article. As T Park astutely observed, Porter never played with the Kings.
thats because it came right out of BSPN. i dont believe anything that comes out of that crappy place. whoever thinks don nelson is going to the kings is fucking crazy.

ShoogarBear
05-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Can't believe you guys let this gem pass:

3. Nelson is already working for the Maloofs. The madcap brothers own the production company that, with George Clooney as a producer, is putting together a basketball sitcom in which Nelson coaches a fictional expansion team in San Diego.
Nellie The Thespian.

I think it'd be a horrible move for Sacto to hire somebody who, even when he was in his prime, was more interested in playing the role of Genius than winning titles.

Porter is unproven even though he got royally screwed over in Milwaukee.

PJ and Artest? Hmm, well, I guess that's really getting back up on the horse.

RON ARTEST
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Can't believe you guys let this gem pass:

Nellie The Thespian.

I think it'd be a horrible move for Sacto to hire somebody who, even when he was in his prime, was more interested in playing the role of Genius than winning titles.

Porter is unproven even though he got royally screwed over in Milwaukee.

PJ and Artest? Hmm, well, I guess that's really getting back up on the horse.
i think pj would be great here. if i was an owner of a basketball team he would be one of the first people i would call.

degenerate_gambler
05-10-2006, 03:49 PM
How bout Larry Brown?

He hasn't switched jobs in what...oh 10 mos or so??

Kori Ellis
05-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Mike Monroe: Spurs staff members are hot commodities

Web Posted: 05/11/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051106.4C.COL.BKNmonroe.spurs.1c861ed0.html

Even as the Spurs face what has become a best-of-five Western Conference semifinal series with the Dallas Mavericks minus the home-court advantage, other teams are coveting members of their staff.

Denver owner Stan Kroenke held general manager Kiki Vandeweghe responsible for bringing Kenyon Martin's negativity to the Nuggets, so he ditched the man who turned one of the NBA's worst franchises into a division champion. The move made the Spurs' bright, young assistant GM, Sam Presti, a target for Kroenke's headhunter, along with Spurs director of pro player personnel Dell Demps.

Denver's interest in Presti and Demps is no mere rumor.

The Maloof family council met after the Sacramento Kings pressed the defending champions before falling in six tough games in the first round. It was decided that Rick Adelman had taken the Kings as far as he could push them, so the family dumped a man who won 395 games in eight seasons.

Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo was immediately included among the candidates to replace Adelman. Three other former NBA head coaches — Don Nelson, Terry Porter and Eric Musselman — also are on the informed list of candidates, along with John Whisenant, who coaches the WNBA's Sacramento Monarchs.

Truth be told, if Gregg Popovich decided that living within driving distance of Northern California wine country outweighed the stability he has in San Antonio and would make himself available to the Kings, the Maloofs might be willing to pay him more than the $10 million per season Phil Jackson commands from Lakers owner Jerry Buss. Of course, Popovich is under contract to the Spurs through the 2007-08 season. An honorable man, he won't renege on a deal, let alone leave Tim Duncan.

But such is the esteem the Maloofs hold for Popovich and his defensive-minded approach to the game, which should make Carlesimo's candidacy for Adelman's job grow serious sooner than later. He is, after all, Popovich's No. 1 assistant and the man who takes over when Popovich occasionally gets ejected.

There is no real urgency for the Kings to have their new coach in place weeks before the draft because GM Geoff Petrie and his vice president of basketball operations, Wayne Cooper, are more than capable of making draft decisions any coach would be happy about. Thus, a long playoff run by the Spurs wouldn't necessarily hurt Carlesimo's chances.

After the go-go years under Adelman, when 50-win seasons were expected and defense seemed to be a dirty word to the Kings, the Maloofs appear to have seen the defensive light. They pushed Petrie to trade Peja Stojakovic for Ron Artest. Joe Maloof told the Sacramento Bee the owners now understand there is no success in the playoffs without an emphasis on defense.

That's why it is impossible to buy into the presumption that Nelson is the Maloofs' leading candidate. Hasn't anyone paid attention to the Mavericks' status as a legitimate NBA title contender because Avery Johnson got them to buy into a Popovich-like grit at the defensive end after years of relative neglect under Nelson?

Nellie is an offensive innovator and the master of manipulating matchups, but when it comes to coaching defense, he is no Chuck Daly.

Besides, why would a 66-year-old with a beautiful retirement home on Maui give up the stress-free life for an NBA hot seat?

As for the others who have been mentioned, former Spurs guard Porter did not seem to have full support of the front office in a prior stint as a Kings assistant; Musselman is highly regarded as an assistant but might have been too intense when he was head coach of the Warriors; and Whisenant's candidacy likely was doomed by Michael Cooper, who failed as the only WNBA head coach to make the jump to head coaching in the NBA.

If the Maloofs are smart, they also will ask to interview another former Spurs guard, Mario Elie. He's an assistant in Golden State and has both a commanding presence and Popovich's approach to defense that the Maloofs seem to want.

Here's the morning line on the candidates for the Kings job: Carlesimo, 5-2; Nelson, 5-1; Musselman, 10-1; Porter, 12-1; Elie, 15-1; Whisenant, 20-1.

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-11-2006, 12:46 AM
I highly doubt the Maloofs would want The Don going there seeing as they let Adelman walk and reportedly said they want a "defensive minded coach"

whottt
05-11-2006, 12:48 AM
I think the Kings were stupid to fire Adelman. It takes more than one season to turn a transition team like the Kings into a defensive powerhouse...and the Kings were actually a pretty good defensive team during one of their running years under Adelman, first or second in the league in opp FG%...the year they took LA to game 7. Adelman gave the Kings an exciting brand of ball that filled up their stadium and put Sacremento basketball on the map....

Rick Adelman has never had the personnel to win an NBA championship IMO, and the fact that he has almost done it several times has a lot more to do with his coaching ability than it does the talent level of the teams he has coached....the best player he ever had was Drexler...a poorman's Jordan...and he almost won a title with him.

Any man that can nearly bump off the Shaq Phil Kobe Lakers with 3 chokers the caliber of Peja, CWebb, and Hedo is one hell of a good coach and has my respect!

If only they'd hit their free throws in game 7...Something they were just about the best in the league at doing.

whottt
05-11-2006, 12:51 AM
I highly doubt the Maloofs would want The Don going there seeing as they let Adelman walk and reportedly said they want a "defensive minded coach"

Yep that'd be stupid...although Nellie does know how to coach D and put a defensive team together, and he's always been a master of goon defense...he just doesn't like to do it. But if he has the personnel he can do it.

angel_luv
05-11-2006, 12:51 AM
They can't have Carlesimo- even though he totally deserves the job.

He's great and I want us to keep him.
:)

efrem1
05-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Adelman had good coaching sense. He did a lot with what he had this year. The fact that Bonzi Wells was out for 30 games and that Artest did not come aboard until midway through the season speaks a lot for the man who actually got them to the playoffs. The Maloofs were impatient and got rid of him in order to make a fresh start. I forsee them making a bonehead move for coach and will live to regret it.

Darrin
05-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Larry Brown would love coaching that team. He has former relationships with Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas, and Corliss Williamson. They should've done this last season.

timvp
05-11-2006, 02:47 AM
Spurs need new coaching blood so hopefully someone hires PJ this summer. It's always good to get new ideas into the fold every couple years.

timvp
05-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Oh and Adelman deserved to get fired after his coaching job in Game 6. That was one the worst coach game I've ever seen. The Spurs couldn't stop Wells and Artest so what do he do?

Runs play after play to get Mike Bibby going :lol

Yeah, thanks for playing right into the Spurs' hands. Pop couldn't have drawn up a better gameplan to give to the Kings.

Texas_Ranger
05-11-2006, 02:54 AM
They can't have Carlesimo- even though he totally deserves the job.

He's great and I want us to keep him.
:)

Me too, I don`t want to see PJ in SAC

AFE7FATMAN
05-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Spurs need new coaching blood so hopefully someone hires PJ this summer. It's always good to get new ideas into the fold every couple years.

New coaching blood will not help. Pop knows it all. :rolleyes

KingsFanWithoutName
05-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Larry Brown would love coaching that team. He has former relationships with Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas, and Corliss Williamson. They should've done this last season.
Brian Skinner isn't on the Kings. Kenny Thomas and his nasty contract can join Brown in New York. He'd be a perfect PF in the east, small and able to rebound.

WalterBenitez
05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Carlessimo deserves a chance!

George W Bush
05-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd be a good candidate to run an organization :tu

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 03:42 PM
if i had to guess i would say carlesimo would be the coach of the kinmgs pretty soon. i cant wait to find out who its gonna be.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I think the Kings were stupid to fire Adelman. It takes more than one season to turn a transition team like the Kings into a defensive powerhouse...and the Kings were actually a pretty good defensive team during one of their running years under Adelman, first or second in the league in opp FG%...the year they took LA to game 7. Adelman gave the Kings an exciting brand of ball that filled up their stadium and put Sacremento basketball on the map....

Rick Adelman has never had the personnel to win an NBA championship IMO, and the fact that he has almost done it several times has a lot more to do with his coaching ability than it does the talent level of the teams he has coached....the best player he ever had was Drexler...a poorman's Jordan...and he almost won a title with him.

Any man that can nearly bump off the Shaq Phil Kobe Lakers with 3 chokers the caliber of Peja, CWebb, and Hedo is one hell of a good coach and has my respect!

If only they'd hit their free throws in game 7...Something they were just about the best in the league at doing.
i dont give a fuck what he nearly did. i want a coach who is gonna do it period. and i think PJ is the guy who can take us over the hump.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Carlessimo deserves a chance!
and hes gonna get it. i hope

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Me too, I don`t want to see PJ in SAC
well to bad.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh and Adelman deserved to get fired after his coaching job in Game 6. That was one the worst coach game I've ever seen. The Spurs couldn't stop Wells and Artest so what do he do?

Runs play after play to get Mike Bibby going :lol

Yeah, thanks for playing right into the Spurs' hands. Pop couldn't have drawn up a better gameplan to give to the Kings.
thats what i have been trying to tell all of these idiots who think he should have another chance.

JohnMcClane
05-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Look at Flip Saunders with the Pistons... I think Nellie would be great with the defensive personnel the Kings have. Nellie is a great coach. The longer he coaches the greater his chances of winning a championship... which means he should hit any second now. Him and Cuban were just like oil and water. Nellie would have been just as successful as Avery this season if not more so. I believe more so.

tlongII
05-11-2006, 04:04 PM
PJ would get choked out by Artest.

ducks
05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
who says ron would play another game as a king
he said he wanted rick back

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
ron thanked rick adelmnan yesterday at the practice facility and said that no matter who the coach is he just wants to win a chamnpionmship. so get that idea out of your head right now buddy. ron will be a king for a while. that comnmenmt he made about his salary was just ron being ron. he doesnt care who the coach is. he also said he wants bonzi back which i agree with.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
is that what your hoping? :lol

ducks
05-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I want wells gone not ron

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
PJ would get choked out by Artest.
you should know all about players who choke out people. your teamn is known for that kind of shit. :lol but anyway are you guys gonna actually trade randolph for fucking kenyon martin?

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I want wells gone not ron
if wells leaves im gonna cry. he said if he leaves it would be because the maloofs dont want him. he also said hes tired of moving and he wants to finish his career here. do you think pj wants to coach again? i hope he comes here.

ducks
05-11-2006, 04:49 PM
he could make in the millions to coach or make in the hundred of thousands to be head assist coach
what do you think?

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 06:57 PM
he could make in the millions to coach or make in the hundred of thousands to be head assist coach
what do you think?
good point. :lol

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 07:08 PM
if wells leaves im gonna cry. he said if he leaves it would be because the maloofs dont want him. he also said hes tired of moving and he wants to finish his career here. do you think pj wants to coach again? i hope he comes here.

After dogging it for years and turning it on for a two week contract drive, you want Wells back? Really?

Don't you think he'll start mailing it in again as soon as he gets paid?

You could probably get Jamal Crawford and a couple of #1s from the Knicks. :lol

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 07:15 PM
After dogging it for years and turning it on for a two week contract drive, you want Wells back? Really?

he didnt just play well in the playoffs he has been our most consistent player. jamal crawford sucks. petrie is like ten times smarter then thomas. doing a trade with them is like taking candy from a baby im sure. thomas would probably trade channing frye for rasho.

KingsFanWithoutName
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM

He turned it on because his injury had healed.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 07:23 PM
thers no point in even talking to some of these spurs fans.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM

If you say so. But he's bounced around the league an awful lot over the years, and I can't remember many times people were saying "Wow, Wells is unstoppable out there" at his previous stops.

I mean, I understand why you guys like him, but his history would hang a pretty buyer beware" sign on the guy.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
If you say so. But he's bounced around the league an awful lot over the years, and I can't remember many times people were saying "Wow, Wells is unstoppable out there" at his previous stops.

I mean, I understand why you guys like him, but his history would hang a pretty buyer beware" sign on the guy.
bounced around? this is his third team. plus his problems in memphis were playing time. he will get plenty here.

ponky
05-11-2006, 08:22 PM
HAHA!!!!! Go ahead Nelly take up the reins and make the Kings run run run like they used to a couple of years ago. That way we insure that they won't get far. I like Nelly but he didn't have any fire the last two season with the Mavs, it was kind of depressing to see the Mavs losing and Nelly sitting there not even getting out of his seat or revving up the team.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 08:45 PM
HAHA!!!!! Go ahead Nelly take up the reins and make the Kings run run run like they used to a couple of years ago. That way we insure that they won't get far. I like Nelly but he didn't have any fire the last two season with the Mavs, it was kind of depressing to see the Mavs losing and Nelly sitting there not even getting out of his seat or revving up the team.
thats why nelly aint coming to the kings.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 08:46 PM
bounced around? this is his third team.

My mistake. I had forgotten that Portland was his first stop and that he'd been there that long. I thought he'd had a couple of other teams in his first few years.

plus his problems in memphis were playing time. he will get plenty here.

Maybe so. And maybe with good coaching, you can keep him on track. I wish you luck on that one.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Maybe so. And maybe with good coaching, you can keep him on track. I wish you luck on that one.
thanks. were gonna need it.

CubanMustGo
05-11-2006, 08:59 PM
ESPN interviewed Joe Maloof, sounds like he doesn't want Nellie (duh!):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2440697

Sacramento Kings co-owner Joe Maloof has not ruled out Don Nelson as a candidate to replace the deposed Rick Adelman, but Maloof makes Nelson sound more like a long shot than a favorite to take over as Kings coach.

In a phone interview Wednesday with ESPN.com, Maloof confirmed that Nelson's reputation for free-wheeling offense -- as opposed to the defensive mind-set Joe and brother Gavin Maloof crave -- gives the Kings some hesitation.

"We love Nellie," Maloof said. "But we do feel like defense has to be the priority. We've seen it with the Kings and we've seen it with our WNBA team -- defense wins championships."

Nelson already works for the Maloofs as one of the stars in a television project that could wind up on HBO. George Clooney is producing a show for the Maloofs' entertainment arm in which Nelson serves as the coach of a fictional expansion team, along with former NBA stars Vlade Divac, Norm Nixon and Marques Johnson.

The friendship they now share from the TV connection has linked Nelson to the Sacramento job for months, with Adelman's departure anticipated in NBA coaching circles all season after the Maloofs' brief flirtation last summer with Phil Jackson and with Adelman coaching on the final year of his contract. But there are basketball reasons to link Nelson with the opening as well.

Nelson is one of the few available coaches with a résumé that compares favorably to Adelman's, after Sacramento reached the postseason in each of his eight seasons. Nelson's sideline presence and considerable experience also hold appeal, with the Kings needing a successor who can reach Ron Artest. Finding someone to click with the enigmatic swingman is a primary consideration, since the Maloofs are committed to building around Artest after he headlined Sacramento's transformation from a 17-24 straggler into a playoff team.

Artest told ESPN.com in early April that he wasn't expecting to get a vote from his new bosses but that he hoped Adelman would receive a contract extension for his role in getting Sacramento's revival. "Hopefully we can stay together," Artest said at the time.

He then repeated his preference in even stronger terms after the Kings were eliminated by San Antonio in the first round. Although league rules preclude such gestures, Artest said he would forfeit next season's $7.5 million salary if Adelman and free agent-to-be Bonzi Wells were re-signed.

NBA coaching sources say Sacramento is not required to ask Dallas for permission to speak to Nelson, who remains on the Mavericks' payroll as a team consultant. Nelson, who turns 66 on Monday, is a coaching free agent at season's end and thus free to entertain job offers for 2006-07.

Joe Maloof, though, said the Kings' coaching search is only just starting. Maloof anticipates team president Geoff Petrie assembling a list of candidates by week's end that is quickly whittled to four or five finalists who will be interviewed.

"We haven't talked to anyone yet," Maloof said.

Yet he did stress that the final decision on Adelman's replacement will be ownership's as much as Petrie's, in spite of Petrie's reputation as one of league's most accomplished team builders.

"We have to be heavily involved, because this decision is so important for the future of the franchise," Maloof said. "We want to do this as quickly as possible and then leave Geoff and [the new coach] alone."

ESPN.com on Tuesday identified San Antonio Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo and former Kings assistant Terry Porter, both former NBA head coaches, as likely names for Petrie's list.

Carlesimo is a natural candidate if the Kings elect to model themselves after San Antonio, as the Cleveland Cavaliers did last offseason by hiring Spurs alumni Danny Ferry and Mike Brown as their new GM-coach tandem.

Porter has been out of the league for a year after coaching the Milwaukee Bucks for two seasons and has also surfaced as a possible replacement on Flip Saunders' staff in Detroit for N.C. State-bound Sidney Lowe.

It should be noted that Nelson, fond as he is of the Maloofs, has his own reservations about a return to coaching. The Kings would have to lure him out of X-and-O retirement if they do want Nelson to come to Sacramento for an interview, after the 27-year bench veteran enjoyed what he often refers to as "the year of my life" since resigning as coach of the Mavericks in March 2005.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
ESPN interviewed Joe Maloof, sounds like he doesn't want Nellie (duh!):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2440697

Sacramento Kings co-owner Joe Maloof has not ruled out Don Nelson as a candidate to replace the deposed Rick Adelman, but Maloof makes Nelson sound more like a long shot than a favorite to take over as Kings coach.

In a phone interview Wednesday with ESPN.com, Maloof confirmed that Nelson's reputation for free-wheeling offense -- as opposed to the defensive mind-set Joe and brother Gavin Maloof crave -- gives the Kings some hesitation.

"We love Nellie," Maloof said. "But we do feel like defense has to be the priority. We've seen it with the Kings and we've seen it with our WNBA team -- defense wins championships."

Nelson already works for the Maloofs as one of the stars in a television project that could wind up on HBO. George Clooney is producing a show for the Maloofs' entertainment arm in which Nelson serves as the coach of a fictional expansion team, along with former NBA stars Vlade Divac, Norm Nixon and Marques Johnson.

The friendship they now share from the TV connection has linked Nelson to the Sacramento job for months, with Adelman's departure anticipated in NBA coaching circles all season after the Maloofs' brief flirtation last summer with Phil Jackson and with Adelman coaching on the final year of his contract. But there are basketball reasons to link Nelson with the opening as well.

Nelson is one of the few available coaches with a résumé that compares favorably to Adelman's, after Sacramento reached the postseason in each of his eight seasons. Nelson's sideline presence and considerable experience also hold appeal, with the Kings needing a successor who can reach Ron Artest. Finding someone to click with the enigmatic swingman is a primary consideration, since the Maloofs are committed to building around Artest after he headlined Sacramento's transformation from a 17-24 straggler into a playoff team.

Artest told ESPN.com in early April that he wasn't expecting to get a vote from his new bosses but that he hoped Adelman would receive a contract extension for his role in getting Sacramento's revival. "Hopefully we can stay together," Artest said at the time.

He then repeated his preference in even stronger terms after the Kings were eliminated by San Antonio in the first round. Although league rules preclude such gestures, Artest said he would forfeit next season's $7.5 million salary if Adelman and free agent-to-be Bonzi Wells were re-signed.

NBA coaching sources say Sacramento is not required to ask Dallas for permission to speak to Nelson, who remains on the Mavericks' payroll as a team consultant. Nelson, who turns 66 on Monday, is a coaching free agent at season's end and thus free to entertain job offers for 2006-07.

Joe Maloof, though, said the Kings' coaching search is only just starting. Maloof anticipates team president Geoff Petrie assembling a list of candidates by week's end that is quickly whittled to four or five finalists who will be interviewed.

"We haven't talked to anyone yet," Maloof said.

Yet he did stress that the final decision on Adelman's replacement will be ownership's as much as Petrie's, in spite of Petrie's reputation as one of league's most accomplished team builders.

"We have to be heavily involved, because this decision is so important for the future of the franchise," Maloof said. "We want to do this as quickly as possible and then leave Geoff and [the new coach] alone."

ESPN.com on Tuesday identified San Antonio Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo and former Kings assistant Terry Porter, both former NBA head coaches, as likely names for Petrie's list.

Carlesimo is a natural candidate if the Kings elect to model themselves after San Antonio, as the Cleveland Cavaliers did last offseason by hiring Spurs alumni Danny Ferry and Mike Brown as their new GM-coach tandem.

Porter has been out of the league for a year after coaching the Milwaukee Bucks for two seasons and has also surfaced as a possible replacement on Flip Saunders' staff in Detroit for N.C. State-bound Sidney Lowe.

It should be noted that Nelson, fond as he is of the Maloofs, has his own reservations about a return to coaching. The Kings would have to lure him out of X-and-O retirement if they do want Nelson to come to Sacramento for an interview, after the 27-year bench veteran enjoyed what he often refers to as "the year of my life" since resigning as coach of the Mavericks in March 2005.so i guess that shuts up all of the idiots who thought nellie would be our coach huh?

trueD
05-11-2006, 10:42 PM
First I'd like to thank Kori Ellis, or whomever has kept this thread on your main page, kudos! Nice gesture on someone's part.

Look at Flip Saunders with the Pistons... I think Nellie would be great with the defensive personnel the Kings have. Nellie is a great coach. The longer he coaches the greater his chances of winning a championship... which means he should hit any second now. Him and Cuban were just like oil and water. Nellie would have been just as successful as Avery this season if not more so. I believe more so.Your comparison of Nellie to a slot machine cracks me up. :lol

Flip came along when the Pistons were already defensively orientated, they didn't need any help from a coach to understand the importance of playing defense.

Also, Kings don't really have any "defensive personnel", save Artest and of course the rooks Martin and Cisco, who both just arrived from defensive backgrounds, have a lot of young energy and need to show themselves. Some have taken on more responsibility defensively since Artest arrived, but there is a LOT of work to do :lol Nellie doesn't have the track record of proven defensive coaching ability. All the signs say he isn't a real candidate.

My personal pipe dream is P-jax. Maybe he's thru with Kobe? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Carlisemo deserves a second chance, and working under your coveted coach can't be a bad thing.

Hopefully Kings are considered a commodity to coach; a good showing in our playoff round (gotta admit, 4 out of 6 games could have gone either way and one blowout each deserves some attention) a challenge with personnel--not naming names here--and some real work to do teaching D.

Maybe this is a dream job for someone with something to prove?

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 11:02 PM
First I'd like to thank Kori Ellis, or whomever has kept this thread on your main page, kudos! Nice gesture on someone's part.

Your comparison of Nellie to a slot machine cracks me up. :lol

Flip came along when the Pistons were already defensively orientated, they didn't need any help from a coach to understand the importance of playing defense.

Also, Kings don't really have any "defensive personnel", save Artest and of course the rooks Martin and Cisco, who both just arrived from defensive backgrounds, have a lot of young energy and need to show themselves. Some have taken on more responsibility defensively since Artest arrived, but there is a LOT of work to do :lol Nellie doesn't have the track record of proven defensive coaching ability. All the signs say he isn't a real candidate.

My personal pipe dream is P-jax. Maybe he's thru with Kobe? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Carlisemo deserves a second chance, and working under your coveted coach can't be a bad thing.

Hopefully Kings are considered a commodity to coach; a good showing in our playoff round (gotta admit, 4 out of 6 games could have gone either way and one blowout each deserves some attention) a challenge with personnel--not naming names here--and some real work to do teaching D.

Maybe this is a dream job for someone with something to prove?
any coach available right now would love to coach this team.

RON ARTEST
05-11-2006, 11:03 PM
im glad don nelson isnt a real candidate. he would probably play bibby at center.

trueD
05-11-2006, 11:07 PM
im glad don nelson isnt a real candidate. he would probably play bibby at center.Yeah, something like that. Nellie does like to switch it up with rotations.

Plus Nellie is very excitable, probably give all our guys heart attacks before he ever gets his. :smokin

Here is Rick's best impression of being pissed:

http://www.basket-plus.com/images/NBA/NBA%202004-05/Adelman_ocaj.jpg

hatam90
05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Nelson and Carlesimo are good candidate's for the Kings job, but Potter not a good vocal and discipline maintaing coach anyways, esspecially a place like sacremento. But any way Potter is trying to buy Portaland TrailBlazers, he is interested in owning a team rather than coaching one.

trueD
05-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Nelson and Carlesimo are good candidate's for the Kings job, but Potter not a good vocal and discipline maintaing coach anyways, esspecially a place like sacremento. But any way Potter is trying to buy Portaland TrailBlazers, he is interested in owning a team rather than coaching one.It's PORTER. Terry Porter is a very good friend of Rick's, Terry played under him in Portland and was Rick's assistant in Sac 2003-2004. Could be Rick returns to coach for Porter if he is successful buying the JailBlazers franchise. Now there's a challenging and interesting position, lmao.

SequSpur
05-12-2006, 12:55 AM
it was time for a change....

RON ARTEST
05-12-2006, 01:02 AM
it was time for a change....
hell yeah. hes also allergic to calling timeouts. something that always ticked me off.

MikeSchafer
05-12-2006, 01:07 AM
I'm a little suprised he was fired. However, i'd be even more suprised if Don Nelson got the coaching job (not exactly a defensive minded coach), especially after the owners talked about how they thought the defense needed to improve.

RON ARTEST
05-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I'm a little suprised he was fired. However, i'd be even more suprised if Don Nelson got the coaching job (not exactly a defensive minded coach), especially after the owners talked about how they thought the defense needed to improve.
they already cmmented on nelson saying that they looked him and the mavs teams he coached in the past and it reminded him of the kings in the past. he said they arent looking his way.

strangeweather
05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Yeah, Nellie was always a bizarre-sounding choice for an upgrade.

My only worry about Carlesimo is that he, umm, doesn't necessarily have the best track record for coaching combustible players.

Yeah that was a long time ago, and I know Artest is the man now there... I'm just sayin', is all.

pache100
05-12-2006, 09:21 AM
and hes gonna get it. i hope

OMG! If Spre almost choked him to death...imagine what ol' Artest will do to PJ if he gets pissed off (is Artest ever NOT pissed off?) at him.