PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Howard/Harris??

yavozerb
05-10-2006, 09:19 AM
What adjustments, if any, do the spurs need to make in order to win game 3?

yavozerb
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Sorry, jjust saw this thread after putting up this one!!!!!!

J.T.
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
New refs
Agressive
No pussy small ball
Clog the lane
Someone should powerslam Howard, Terry and Harris to let them know they ain't getting to the rim like that anymore
TP must be TP
Manu must be Manu
Feed Timmy
REBOUND, HELLO
Ball movement, no more TP trying to be the hero
Score more points than the Mavs

leemajors
05-10-2006, 09:26 AM
no one is power slamming anyone, grow up.

yavozerb
05-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Tony has been covering terry pretty well.
Manu need to cover Harris and make him shoot the ball from the outside..Do not get up close.
Bowen needs to stay on Dirk as he has played him well.
Duncan can occasionally help whoever is covering howard if he is down low cause the big men for dallas suck.
Horry/oberto/whoever are not going to be able to cover howard. This is the man we need to double with manu or duncan.

yavozerb
05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Howard and Harris are the two players who the spurs either have no answers or have not found a method to slow down on the offensive end. What to do on these guys??

lakersfan
05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
i think that the spurs can make it no more because they r so confident about the championship so thats y i think that the spurs r playing the way they r playing like game 2 was just a blow out because they werent playing right
you see im a lakers fan but i admit it lakers were playing confident too so thats y they lost.

J.T.
05-10-2006, 09:45 AM
We let them control the pace of the game yesterday. Clog the lane and that doesn't happen, but as long as Avery can bait Pop into playing small ball, they'll get away with that. Duncan and Rasho in the middle would cut down on that a little.

yavozerb
05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree J.T.!! The spurs need to make Harris shoot the ball, whoever is defending him need to lay off so he cannot drive. Howard is going to have to be double teamed, probaly by who is covering Harris or even Duncan if howard is down low..I am not sure but did the spurs play any zone last night??

leemajors
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
how about setting some fruity picks on them, a la prince's crew on the chappelle show. it would probably throw them off more than our scheme on tuesday.

A-Train
05-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Here's what you do. You force Nowitzki to defend like a 4 for the entire game. Then Bruce gets Howard and TP or Manu gets Harris. The Spurs fucked themselves from the get go by going small. You go "big" or, as was the case for the entire season, "normal" and start off with TD at the 4 and either Nazr or Rasho at the 5. Then you pound it inside and run your offense like you did all season long. You play this as a war of attrition. Maybe you put up with a couple of Mavs jumpers due to their small lineup versus your big lineup in exchange for owning the paint and wearing them out inside on the defensive end.

mabber
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Here's what you do. You force Nowitzki to defend like a 4 for the entire game. Then Bruce gets Howard and TP or Manu gets Harris. The Spurs fucked themselves from the get go by going small. You go "big" or, as was the case for the entire season, "normal" and start off with TD at the 4 and either Nazr or Rasho at the 5. Then you pound it inside and run your offense like you did all season long. You play this as a war of attrition. Maybe you put up with a couple of Mavs jumpers due to their small lineup versus your big lineup in exchange for owning the paint and wearing them out inside on the defensive end.

I'm sure Pop is debating switching Bowen on Howard, but that leaves no one that can slow down Dirk. Spurs just don't match up with the Mavs that well just like the Mavs have no one that can slow down Duncan. It's gonna be very interesting to see the adjustments made each game. The Spurs are going to have to slow the game down somehow or they won't win this series. Game 3 should be great game. As much as I'd like to give my Mavs full credit for last night's ass-kicking, the Spurs looked tired to me and they won't be for game #3. Home court doesn't mean sh@t in this series except maybe in a game #7.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 11:37 AM
If the spurs put in Rasho than Duncan would have less space to operate. There are pros and cons for each lineup change. I say the spurs keep the same lineup and put Horry on Dirk and Bowen on Howard.

sixeightmkw
05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
It's a flip flop kinda situation.
The Mavs:
If they double Duncan then they have to worry about the 3 shooters and getting killed that way. Not doubling Duncan allows him to dominate the interior.
The SPurs:
they can have Bowen guard Dirk and allow the guards to drive to the hoop, or let Bowen guard Howard and let Dirk light it up.

Both teams have alot of thinking to do before game 3.

JamStone
05-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Hope they catch the bird flu?

Kori Ellis
05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, we have to move Bowen off Dirk and have him start off guarding Howard. None of the Spurs bigs can guard Howard when Bowen is on the Mavs big (Dirk).

So the Spurs will have to have Bowen guard Howard and then Duncan/Horry take their shot at Dirk.

As for Harris, when Tony's healthy by Saturday, I think he should be able to guard him good enough.

mabber
05-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately, we have to move Bowen off Dirk and have him start off guarding Howard. None of the Spurs bigs can guard Howard when Bowen is on the Mavs big (Dirk).

So the Spurs will have to have Bowen guard Howard and then Duncan/Horry take their shot at Dirk.

As for Harris, when Tony's healthy by Saturday, I think he should be able to guard him good enough.

I agree with all of this. Harris is fast but he's not as fast as the Spurs made him look last night. At the same time, Parker really isn't that great of a defender in the first place but he'll be better after a few days rest.

A-Train
05-10-2006, 02:47 PM
I'd rather see Bowen lock down Howard and keep him from turning in a 27 point performance than keeping Dirk at 22 instead of 32. In addition, if you go "big" or "normal" as I like to call it, then you have your interior defense again and you can actually return to preventing easy drives to the rim. I'd take the trade off of a few more looks for Nowitzki in exchange for putting the clamps down on the rest of his supporting cast.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 02:49 PM

Tony can guard Harris decently if healthy but Manu seemed to have trouble guarding Terry at the beginning of the game forcing Parker to take Terry. This small ball idea was a great idea. Dallas is really big at SF, PF, and C so it's not really small ball and more teams should use the 2 PG in the lineup if they are big everywhere else.

SenorSpur
05-10-2006, 02:54 PM

Proof again that there's just not enough Bowen to go around.

SenorSpur
05-10-2006, 02:58 PM
It's frustrating to see teams constantly double off on guys who don't deserve such treatment. IMO, the only Mavs that should command a double team are Dirk and maybe Stack (when he's in the game and in the post). The rest of the guys should be played straight up.

Obviously, neither of the two Mavs centers are a threat to score. So, TD or Nazr can roam with caution.

The key is to keep Devin and Howard out of the lane and try an neutralize Dirk on the perminter and when he tried to post up.

mabber
05-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Proof again that there's just not enough Bowen to go around.

The dude can "D" up, that's for sure. He can mix in a big 3 from time to time as well. I don't think he bothers Dirk as much as he has in past years, I just think that Dirk knows that he can pass to a teammate with a much better shot than he's gonna get off Bowen. Last night was the perfect example of that as Dirk shot 7 for 11. I can't remember the last time that Dirk only took 11 shots. He didn't try to force anything vs. Bowen since Howard & co. were in a good offensive groove.

Moving Bowen to Howard would be a good move for Spurs IMO. I think Howard would get really frustrated and he tends to get in foul trouble and not play as well when that happens. I'm actually hoping that Bowen stays on Dirk.

Mavtek
05-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I think the Spurs should stop with the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAA Already, that might help, so annoying!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Texamosix/Crybaby-Pop.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Texamosix/Crybaby-Bowen.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Texamosix/Crybaby-VanExel.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Texamosix/Crybaby-Duncan.jpg

yavozerb
05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
:lol
I think the Spurs should stop with the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAA Already, that might help, so annoying!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Texamosix/Crybaby-VanExel.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Texamosix/Crybaby-Duncan.jpg

CosmicCowboy
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
^^^ that shit is just wrong!

Mavtek
05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
^^^ that shit is just wrong!

Nah it's pretty damn true!! :lol

mabber
05-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I'd guess that only about 10% of all foul calls are NOT disputed by the player called for the foul. And that includes every player on every team in the league. Any Spur fans that are under the illusion that their players don't complain most of the time are just not paying attention or are in denial. Duncan complains every friggin time. Josh Howard of Dallas complains every friggin time.

A-Train
05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Tony can guard Harris decently if healthy but Manu seemed to have trouble guarding Terry at the beginning of the game forcing Parker to take Terry. This small ball idea was a great idea. Dallas is really big at SF, PF, and C so it's not really small ball and more teams should use the 2 PG in the lineup if they are big everywhere else.

Dirk may be a 7 footer but he plays like a 2, especially in the paint. Howard's no bigger than Bowen. You better hope Pop doesn't sober up and return to the regular season lineup.

cheguevara
05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Dumbass mav fans. :rolleyes

It's part of the game to protest foul calls during the game, it's a psychological stimulation to the official. Now IF a coach or player complain about refs AFTER the game, then they're crybabies (for example Avery Johnson)

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 03:51 PM

It's part of the game to protest foul calls during the game, it's a psychological stimulation to the official. Now IF a coach or player complain about refs AFTER the game, then they're crybabies (for example Avery Johnson)
Well than I can protest all the foul calls in game 1. I don't think the refs could make a 20 point difference in the game either. Dallas was just wired up for this game thanks to Devin Harris.

mabber
05-10-2006, 04:01 PM

Same with coaches, sport. They're doing the same thing as the players are trying to do. Pop doesn't resort to it, and I give him props for that but most coaches do and it's like you said for players "a psychological stimulation to the officials".

SenorSpur
05-10-2006, 04:07 PM
The dude can "D" up, that's for sure. He can mix in a big 3 from time to time as well. I don't think he bothers Dirk as much as he has in past years, I just think that Dirk knows that he can pass to a teammate with a much better shot than he's gonna get off Bowen. Last night was the perfect example of that as Dirk shot 7 for 11. I can't remember the last time that Dirk only took 11 shots. He didn't try to force anything vs. Bowen since Howard & co. were in a good offensive groove.

Moving Bowen to Howard would be a good move for Spurs IMO. I think Howard would get really frustrated and he tends to get in foul trouble and not play as well when that happens. I'm actually hoping that Bowen stays on Dirk.

If Bowen moves over to Dirk, that would mean either Duncan or Horry will have to come out to get Dirk on the perimeter. Not a good solution.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
If Bowen moves over to Dirk, that would mean either Duncan or Horry will have to come out to get Dirk on the perimeter. Not a good solution.
There is no good solution for the spurs. If the spurs had another speedy point guard that would be the solution. They could move Parker to the 2, Ginobili to 3, and Bowen to the 4 which is similar to Phoenix except that Bowen can't rebound like Marion. The spurs might as well keep Horry in the lineup.

texbumTHElife
05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I dont think any one match up is the problem at this point. I think the fact that noone on the Spurs could stay in front of their man last night was the problem. The Mavericks attacked un deterred over and over. It is time to take the same approach to the Mavs other teams take to us. Put them on the butts a few times. If you are going to foul, foul hard. Force them to make outside shots.

Pop need do nothing more than examine what teams have used succesfully against us and employ that on the Mavericks.

In the long run there should no longer be a question of this team needing to get younger and more athletic. It is a must in the off season.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 04:25 PM
The mavs are more athletic than the spurs. It's hard to guard against athleticism. With Terry at point guard they are about equal but with Harris in addition I think the mavs are now more athletic.

Mavtek
05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Whatever the Spurs did with Sacremento it doesn't apply here, the Kings don't play defense, so you just throw that comparison out the window.

Funny how all the Mavs fans said the Spurs were going to have the same trouble with the Mavs that they are with the Kings yet we were labeled homers and basketball idiots. We went on to say those problems would be further amplified because the Mavs play defense and again we were labeled basketball idiots.........

Guess what's happening as we speak in this series?

texbumTHElife
05-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Actually the problems the Spurs had with the Kings are completely different than the issues with the Mavericks.

The Kings had too much size for us at the two and three and could take us to the post all day. The Mavericks are too athletic for us at the 2,3 and 4 and are able to essentially run right around defender (in game two at least).

Fixing the lack of post defense we had against Sac and then having to turn around and fix the match up issues in this series is a catastrophic sized task and if Pop pulls it off AJ should hand over the Coach of the year award.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Actually the problems the Spurs had with the Kings are completely different than the issues with the Mavericks.

The Kings had too much size for us at the two and three and could take us to the post all day. The Mavericks are too athletic for us at the 2,3 and 4 and are able to essentially run right around defender (in game two at least).

Fixing the lack of post defense we had against Sac and then having to turn around and fix the match up issues in this series is a catastrophic sized task and if Pop pulls it off AJ should hand over the Coach of the year award.
If the spurs find a way to win this series despite the mismatches at the positions 1-4 than Popovich should get it. At the 1-2 San Antonio can pick their poison between Terry and Harris and at the 3-4 San Antonio can pick their poison between Nowitzki and Howard. The matchups along with the speed of the game don't benefit the spurs.

J.T.
05-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Funny how all the Mavs fans said the Spurs were going to have the same trouble with the Mavs that they are with the Kings yet we were labeled homers and basketball idiots. We went on to say those problems would be further amplified because the Mavs play defense and again we were labeled basketball idiots.........

Guess what's happening as we speak in this series?

You win one game and it's matchup problems? Hokay... idiot Mav fan #20847356

Shank
05-10-2006, 07:46 PM
You win one game and it's matchup problems? Hokay... idiot Mav fan #20847356

Um...it IS matchup problems. Initially created by inserting Harris into the starting lineup alongside Terry.
:rolleyes

td4mvp21
05-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Starters:
Parker
Finley
Bowen
Duncan
Nazr

Bench: Ginobili & Horry (for sparks and energy)

Harris will most likely not have another great game like that, but I would put Parker or Finley on him (yes I know mavsfan1000, he will beat both of them off the dribble and score a career high 30) Bowen goes on Howard, which I think is good. Duncan on Nowitzki, Nazr on Diop. Let Dirk go off-give him 40, even 50. Just shut down all the other players.

mavsfan1000
05-10-2006, 07:52 PM
I would like to Finley guard either Terry or Harris. That would be entertaining.

J.T.
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Um...it IS matchup problems. Initially created by inserting Harris into the starting lineup alongside Terry.
:rolleyes

Harris is not going to average 20ppg in this series, and Howard will not consistently score like that. Spurs will make adjustments and make sure the control the game. Talk to me about matchup problems if they have similar lines in game 3 and 4.

Solid D
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Harris:
Show hard and stay attentive when the Spurs switch. Harris became the head of the snake in Game 2.

Howard:
Put a body on him and a butt into him to limit 2nd chances.

BigD1
05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I agree with all of this. Harris is fast but he's not as fast as the Spurs made him look last night. At the same time, Parker really isn't that great of a defender in the first place but he'll be better after a few days rest.After all of this, who guards Terry...Manu? Manu is a good defender but I don't think he guards Terry as well as Parker does. I know Manu was a bit banged up last night, but the times that he had to cover Terry, well, he looked a step too slow. Terry is faster than Manu but not Parker.

BigD1
05-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Starters:
Parker
Finley
Bowen
Duncan
Nazr

Harris will most likely not have another great game like that, but I would put Parker or Finley on him (yes I know mavsfan1000, he will beat both of them off the dribble and score a career high 30) Bowen goes on Howard, which I think is good. Duncan on Nowitzki, Nazr on Diop. Let Dirk go off-give him 40, even 50. Just shut down all the other players.That's the same thing u guys said about Stack...hmm! Harris may not have another 20 pt game but I say he'll avg abot 15 and 5 here on out. His penetration will draw fouls too.

Mavtek
05-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Harris is not going to average 20ppg in this series, and Howard will not consistently score like that. Spurs will make adjustments and make sure the control the game. Talk to me about matchup problems if they have similar lines in game 3 and 4.

What makes you think Howard won't score like that consistently?

In the playoffs he's averaged 18 and 7 on %47 shooting, I'd be willing to bet he's going to score 20 on you guys pretty consistantly.

orhe
05-10-2006, 10:39 PM
well for one horry was guarding him LOL lmao

A-Train
05-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Pop actually starts a center instead of Horry. TD at his natural 4 spot. Bruce at 3, Manu at 2, TP at 1. Dirk has to actually guard a big. Good luck doing that without seeing foul trouble. Bruce on Howard will cool him off. A rested Manu and TP with two bigs behind them will make life a little harder for Harris and Terry on both ends of the floor. Yes, Dirk will get some better looks, but life for Howard, Harris, Terry et al will be a little rougher, especially if they try to venture into the paint. That's the obvious adjustment Pop will make in Game 3. Another will be to post up whatever point guard is on Manu. Spurs will have bigs setting picks instead of light ass wings. The Spurs are going to be a much tougher defensive cover for the Mavs in Game 3 and will play much tougher defense. That is, if Pop sobers up and goes with an actual center up front.

J.T.
05-10-2006, 11:20 PM
What makes you think Howard won't score like that consistently?

Bruce Bowen? When Pop tosses out his pussy small ball in Game 3 I'm gonna LMAO at Howard's line of 9 and 2. He won't get 20ppg on Bowen. He's not Kobe.

Mavtek
05-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Pop actually starts a center instead of Horry. TD at his natural 4 spot. Bruce at 3, Manu at 2, TP at 1. Dirk has to actually guard a big. Good luck doing that without seeing foul trouble. Bruce on Howard will cool him off. A rested Manu and TP with two bigs behind them will make life a little harder for Harris and Terry on both ends of the floor. Yes, Dirk will get some better looks, but life for Howard, Harris, Terry et al will be a little rougher, especially if they try to venture into the paint. That's the obvious adjustment Pop will make in Game 3. Another will be to post up whatever point guard is on Manu. Spurs will have bigs setting picks instead of light ass wings. The Spurs are going to be a much tougher defensive cover for the Mavs in Game 3 and will play much tougher defense. That is, if Pop sobers up and goes with an actual center up front.

Ok so you're saying Dirk on Rasho is going to make him have to foul? Why? Is Rasho some offensive force that Dirk is going to be forced to foul?

Ok and if Bowen is on Howard who's on Dirk? Duncan? Rasho? Ok, I think we all know what's going to happen there, Dirk is going to get 50 and Duncan and Rasho will be in foul trouble all night. Lets not forget if you switch on Harris in the pick and roll you've got Parker on Dirk and Rasho or Duncan on Harris, that sure can't be good. Also I don't think we're going to see a lot of Terry on Manu, I think he'll be covered mostly by Howard, Terry will take Bowen who can't play with his back to the basket anyway.

Ultimately Pop will have to come up with something better than what's been posted here.

J.T.
05-10-2006, 11:36 PM
It's called the Amare Defense. Refer to 2005 WCF

Amare Stoudemire 42ppg
Rest of Suns team NOT ENOUGH

I could really care less if Dirk got 50 and the rest of the team got owned by Bowen & Co. If Dirk gets 50 that means they're running the O thru him too much anyway. Besides, run Dirk off the 3G line and he ain't getting 50 anyway. Duncan and Rasho can do that at least.

A-Train
05-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Ok so you're saying Dirk on Rasho is going to make him have to foul? Why? Is Rasho some offensive force that Dirk is going to be forced to foul?

Think Nowitzki can defend either Duncan or Mohammed in the post? He's gotta go with one.

Ok and if Bowen is on Howard who's on Dirk? Duncan? Rasho? Ok, I think we all know what's going to happen there, Dirk is going to get 50 and Duncan and Rasho will be in foul trouble all night.

Nope. Spurs focus on keeping Nowitzki and the rest of the Mavs out of the paint. So Nowitzki gets a few jumpers, so what? The key is interior defense. That's the bread and butter of the Spurs' D and has been for years. You switch Bowen over on Howard, which is certainly a better matchup for the Spurs than Horry on him. Howard doesn't get off.

Lets not forget if you switch on Harris in the pick and roll you've got Parker on Dirk and Rasho or Duncan on Harris, that sure can't be good.

The difference being that behind TD and TP there is another big instead of a guard posing as a 4. Again, interior D.

Also I don't think we're going to see a lot of Terry on Manu, I think he'll be covered mostly by Howard, Terry will take Bowen who can't play with his back to the basket anyway.

Then you just moved one of your better rebounders farther away from the basket. I'm sure Bowen won't mind shooting over Terry as opposed to Howard. You also have Howard guarded by Bowen and guarding Manu. No matter how much energy the kid has that will wear his ass out.

Ultimately Pop will have to come up with something better than what's been posted here.

Wait and see.

A-Train
05-10-2006, 11:53 PM
In addition to improving the interior D and cutting down on the easy trips to the rim, going with the regular rotation will cut down on the second chance opportunities given up and should improve the # of ones enjoyed.

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 12:03 AM
It's called the Amare Defense. Refer to 2005 WCF

Amare Stoudemire 42ppg
Rest of Suns team NOT ENOUGH

I could really care less if Dirk got 50 and the rest of the team got owned by Bowen & Co. If Dirk gets 50 that means they're running the O thru him too much anyway. Besides, run Dirk off the 3G line and he ain't getting 50 anyway. Duncan and Rasho can do that at least.

The difference in that series is that while Amare did go off he can't pass, and he can't shoot from long distance, lets also not forget that he can't for the life of him create his own shot. All things Dirk is quite good at, and lets also not forget that the Suns can't or won't play defense.

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Think Nowitzki can defend either Duncan or Mohammed in the post? He's gotta go with one.

Yea he'll take Nazr and he'll be just fine, you may think he can't play interior D, but I'd be willing to take him on Nazr anyday.

Nope. Spurs focus on keeping Nowitzki and the rest of the Mavs out of the paint. So Nowitzki gets a few jumpers, so what?

You can't be serious with that statement? Nowitzki is to Jumpers as Barkley is to Pie.

The key is interior defense. That's the bread and butter of the Spurs' D and has been for years. You switch Bowen over on Howard, which is certainly a better matchup for the Spurs than Horry on him. Howard doesn't get off.

So who guards Terry or Harris? Manu? Fin? Barry? Sorry that doesn't sound great for you guys either.

The difference being that behind TD and TP there is another big instead of a guard posing as a 4. Again, interior D.

Duncan was often in the post when the guards drove to the hole, Harris, Terry, and Howard still seemed to finish.

Then you just moved one of your better rebounders farther away from the basket. I'm sure Bowen won't mind shooting over Terry as opposed to Howard. You also have Howard guarded by Bowen and guarding Manu. No matter how much energy the kid has that will wear his ass out.

So Howard is one of our better rebounders? I guess he's our best rebounding swingman, but Dirk, Damp, and Diop are our best rebounders and they'll still get their 20-30 a game.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Yea he'll take Nazr and he'll be just fine, you may think he can't play interior D, but I'd be willing to take him on Nazr anyday.

Sure. It's not like guarding who he had in Game 2.

You can't be serious with that statement? Nowitzki is to Jumpers as Barkley is to Pie.

I certainly am. The Spurs didn't lose due to Nowitzki's Js, they lost due to poor interior D and way too many easy trips to the rim.

So who guards Terry or Harris? Manu? Fin? Barry? Sorry that doesn't sound great for you guys either.

Parker and Manu. Much like every other Spur, the defense tends to be a little better when there are two shotblockers behind them.

Duncan was often in the post when the guards drove to the hole, Harris, Terry, and Howard still seemed to finish.

Now add another shotblocker instead of a guard rotating. Duncan was moving back to the rim often to protect instead of being there in the first place.

So Howard is one of our better rebounders?

He has been in this series.

I guess he's our best rebounding swingman, but Dirk, Damp, and Diop are our best rebounders and they'll still get their 20-30 a game.

Not if the Spurs' starting center is someone other than Robert Horry.

Anyways, when the Spurs' centers have seen more than 30 minutes the Spurs are undefeated this season against the Mavs.

J.T.
05-11-2006, 12:43 AM
This lineup will beat the Mavs:

PG Parker
SG Barry
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Nesterovic

Keep Manu's "I left my game at the Alamodome celebration, have you seen it?" ass on the pine and bring him in for some bench explosiveness. We rolled Denver with that, why not try again.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 11:12 AM

PG Parker
SG Barry
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Nesterovic

Keep Manu's "I left my game at the Alamodome celebration, have you seen it?" ass on the pine and bring him in for some bench explosiveness. We rolled Denver with that, why not try again.
How about the lineup of
PG Parker
SG Beno
SF Bowen
PF Finley
C Duncan
with PG Parker guarding -> Harris
SG Beno -> guarding Terry
SF Bowen -> Howard
PF Finley -> Nowitkzi
C Duncan -> Diop

Ginobili, Finley, and Horry come off the bench as 6th men.

mabber
05-11-2006, 11:31 AM

Now here's someone that knows what they're talking about. Good post! I have no doubt that Pop will come up with something. There will be adjustments after each game by both teams. This will be a great series.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Same with coaches, sport. They're doing the same thing as the players are trying to do. Pop doesn't resort to it, and I give him props for that but most coaches do and it's like you said for players "a psychological stimulation to the officials".

I think coaches mostly only pull this crap because they don't believe their players are good enough to win without help from the officials.

spurster
05-11-2006, 11:48 AM
I think the Spurs need to punish the Mavs for a small lineup. Post up whoever Harris or Terry is guarding. Post up Dirk.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Starters:
Parker
Finley
Bowen
Duncan
Nazr

Harris will most likely not have another great game like that, but I would put Parker or Finley on him (yes I know mavsfan1000, he will beat both of them off the dribble and score a career high 30) Bowen goes on Howard, which I think is good. Duncan on Nowitzki, Nazr on Diop. Let Dirk go off-give him 40, even 50. Just shut down all the other players.

There are 2 problems with putting Duncan on Dirk for most of the game:

1. It will be easy for the Mavs to get Tim in foul trouble.

2. When Dirk moves out to the 3-point line, Tim isn't inside to provide help on penetration from the Mavs guards. This is the same reason Wells and Artest could post up all day long -- the Kings "post players" were really outside shooters who dragged the interior defenders outside with them.

If you stay with that lineup but switch defenders, there's no way Nazr can stay with Dirk or Howard. That's why we've seen so much of Horry, and it's why we even saw Oberto for a while in Game 2.

J.T.
05-11-2006, 11:52 AM
How about the lineup of
PG Parker
SG Beno
SF Bowen
PF Finley
C Duncan
SF Bowen -> Howard
PF Finley -> Nowitkzi
C Duncan -> Diop

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but that's a small lineup and Spurs need to protect the rim to beat the Mavs. No more pussy layup drill by Howard and Harris. And BENO as a starter? You shitting me? :lmao

mabber
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I think coaches mostly only pull this crap because they don't believe their players are good enough to win without help from the officials.

Phil Jackson did it all the time when he coached the Bulls & Lakers (1st time). I'm fairly certain he thought his players were good enough.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Phil Jackson did it all the time when he coached the Bulls & Lakers (1st time). I'm fairly certain he thought his players were good enough.

Phil just likes messing with people's heads.

But I figure Avery thinks that with his team depending on a 7-foot German power forward that can't post people up and has a history of choking in big games, he needs all the help he can get.

mabber
05-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Phil just likes messing with people's heads.

But I figure Avery thinks that with his team depending on a 7-foot German power forward that can't post people up and has a history of choking in big games, he needs all the help he can get.

I hope he gets all the help he can get!

A-Train
05-11-2006, 12:14 PM
How about the lineup of
PG Parker
SG Beno
SF Bowen
PF Finley
C Duncan
SF Bowen -> Howard
PF Finley -> Nowitkzi
C Duncan -> Diop

No, for the reasons mentioned above. That lineup would give you poor interior defense and limited rebounding. AJ's wet dream.

leemajors
05-11-2006, 12:17 PM
That's word,we pray(pray,pray)
We got to pray
Just to make it today
I said we pray(pray) ah,yeah,pray(pray)
We got to pray
Just to make it to pray
That's word,we pray

All my life I wanted to make it to the top
(That's word,we pray)
Some said I wouldn't
They told me no,but I didn't stop
(That's word,we pray)
Working hard,making those movies everyday
(That's word,we pray)
And on my knees every night,you know I pray

That's word,we pray(pray)
Ah,yeah,pray(pray) we got to pray
Just to make it today
We got to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

Now I just think that you
Can do what ever you want
(That's word,we pray)
I'm bustin' these rhymes
Making this money and I won't
(That's word,we pray)
Forget my people or may town or my ways
(That's word,we pray)
And on my knees.every night I'm still gonna pray

Just to make it today
We got to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

Time and time and time and time again
(That's word,we pray)
I kept on knocking,but
These people wouldn't let me in
(That's word,we pray)
I tried and tried and tried and tried to make a way
(That's word,we pray)
But nothing happened till that day I prayed

Just to make it today
We got to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

Childrem dying,oh,so fast from this or that
(That's word,we pray)
Needing that money
Smoking that dope and doing that crack
(That's word,we pray)
Ten years old stand outside
Better look out
(That's word ,we pray)
Dead and gone,necer had a chance
What's it all about?

That's word,we pray(pray) ah,yeah,pray
We need to pray
Just to make it today
I need to pray(pray),ah,yeah,pray
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

That's word,we pray( x3)

We need to pray
Just to make it today
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

On a mission start to doubt.here we go
(That's word,we pray)
Kicking back,read these words we need to know
(That's word,we pray)
Living high,living good,living long
(That's word,we pray)
Take a minute,bust a prayer
And you're good to go

We need to pray
Just to make it today
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

We're sending this one out to the Lord
(That's word,we pray)
And we thank you and we know we need to pray
(That's word,we pray)
Cause all the blessings that are good they come from above
(That's word,we pray)
And once again we want
To say "thank you" to the Lord with all our love

We need to pray
Just to make it today
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

That's word,we pray(pray,pray) (x4)
That's word,we pray

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Parker look-alike makes difference in Mavs' lineup

By RANDY GALLOWAY
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - The General had a new plan for Game 2, which even included a new lineup.

Enter the kid, Devin Harris, the Mavericks' version of a Tony Parker starter kit.

"Devin is not the guy to win this series for us, but what he brings can give us even a better chance," explained Avery Johnson before the opening tipoff.

It was a bold move by a coach whose team had narrowly lost the first game of the series Sunday.

Bold became gold Tuesday night.

Pace, penentration, and defensive confusion -- yes, plenty of confusion by the Spurs -- were all a product of what Harris helped deliver in a blowout 113-91 victory for the Mavs.

Don't elevate the General to genius status just yet.

But this thing with Harris was the kind of brainstorm that can be labeled PDS (Pretty Damn Smart), and it's also worthy of Coach-of-the-Year status, which, of course, Johnson already has won.

And with the long wait to Game 3 back up north Saturday afternoon, you can bet Devin Harris, and not any bear-hug defense on Dirk, will send Spurs coach Gregg Popovich deep into his bunker, looking for answers.

Simply put, Harris' speed and quickness broke down Pop's defense. Even his half-court defense. And if anything can worry the Spurs, it's definitely that.

At the same time, Harris' defense on Parker prevented the French flash from doing to the Mavs what Devin was doing to the Spurs.

Harris out-Parkered Parker.

And not even with Steve Nash could that ever be said.

The box score line on Devin was impressive:

Twenty points on 7-of-12 shooting, with three assists and no turnovers from the point in more than 32 minutes.

But even that doesn't begin to tell the full story, particularly the meager assists total.

Consider this:

The Mavs had nine fast-break points in 48 minutes of a muddled half-court mess in Game 1.

In the first quarter alone Tuesday night, the Mavs had seven fast-break points, 13 by halftime (to four for the Spurs), and 19 for the game.

Pace and penetration and foul problems for Tim Duncan all combined in the second quarter for the Mavericks to double the Spurs in points (32-16) for a 20-point halftime lead.

The Spurs had no answer for Harris in the first half, so they did a lot of yapping at referee Steve Javie and his crew.

Mark Cuban is, by far, the bigger whiner in the NBA when it comes to the refs. But Duncan and the Spurs are second, and moving up with a bullet.

Foul problems will occur when you can't stop offensive penetration. And the Spurs' defense couldn't stop Harris. Hacking happened, even by Duncan, although he would never admit it.

But you haven't been paying attention if you think the General pulled this Devin Harris move out of the San Antonio sky. Or that it was a panic move from Johnson after a tough defeat in Game 1.

For weeks, and months, the Mavericks have been plotting how to survive a playoff series against the Spurs.

And the key to that was Harris, who watched in street clothes because of injury most of the season's second half.

"We played pretty much our style and our pace this time, as opposed to Game 1," Johnson afterward said. "A lot of that had to do with Devin being out there.

"We were saving him for this round. We had our eyes on this round with Devin."

Harris played limited minutes during the Memphis series, partly because he wasn't needed, but mainly because Johnson didn't want to push it with the thigh injury.

Popovich claimed he wasn't surprised by the impact Harris had on the game. "He's done it to us before," said Pop, referring to Devin's 22-point outburst against the Spurs way back in November.

But, sure, Pop had to be surprised. Even shocked at what he saw Tuesday night.

It is not often that he watches a Parker performance against Parker, and against the Spurs.

"I think Avery made a great move by putting Devin in the game," noted Duncan, who also added, "Tony is down half a step right now with the contusion on his leg. But Harris was good, real good. It's another adjustment we will have to make for the next game."

A-Train
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
There are 2 problems with putting Duncan on Dirk for most of the game:

1. It will be easy for the Mavs to get Tim in foul trouble.

Right, but that's why you want to force Nowitzki to guard a big. I think you want Bowen on Howard instead of Nowitzki. You also want the Spurs to run a bigger lineup. That means you want Mohammed on their 5 and TD on their 4. Otherwise, you have to go with Bowen or another guard on Nowitzki and then you have TD at center with 4 guards. I think you stick with size on Nowitzki and focus on keeping him out of the lane. With a shotblocker behind TD I wouldn't mind the tradeoff.

2. When Dirk moves out to the 3-point line, Tim isn't inside to provide help on penetration from the Mavs guards. This is the same reason Wells and Artest could post up all day long -- the Kings "post players" were really outside shooters who dragged the interior defenders outside with them.

The reason that didn't work is that the Kings' could credibly lift their 5, thereby drawing the other shotblocker away from the basket. The Mavs triumverate at center doesn't pose that threat. So the prospect of another Mavs' layup drill is over.

If you stay with that lineup but switch defenders, there's no way Nazr can stay with Dirk or Howard. That's why we've seen so much of Horry, and it's why we even saw Oberto for a while in Game 2.

...and that's why the Spurs lost Game 2. Horry at the 4 worked to beat the Kings, but that's because the Kings could force the Spurs to play their game. In this instance, the Spurs can force the Mavs' to play theirs. Go with the regular lineup, get your interior defense back, force Nowitzki to play post defense and get Bowen to hound Howard.

leemajors
05-11-2006, 12:31 PM
if we start going to nazr in the post frequently this series is over. he has no post game. he can get offensive rebounds but has horrible hands, and gets blocked constantly. putting him in the game won't make nowitzki play post defense.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 12:40 PM
if we start going to nazr in the post frequently this series is over. he has no post game. he can get offensive rebounds but has horrible hands, and gets blocked constantly. putting him in the game won't make nowitzki play post defense.

This series is over if Robert Horry or Michael Finley is your last line of interior defense. Whatever Mohammed's limitations, you want his shotblocking, rebounding and presence in the paint. On offense, it's not about going to him in the post, it is about him being there on the glass and setting picks. You don't need to go to him in the post to force Nowitzki to put a body on him. Nowitzki can't body him up that low and will be susceptible to fouls. The only other choice for Nowitzki would be to guard TD. The Spurs have made life easy for Dirk by matching him up with guards so far in this series. The way the Spurs have beaten the Mavs in the past has been by forcing Nowitzki to play like a big.

rr2418
05-11-2006, 01:22 PM

:lol But you forgot to include Avery Johnson. That "bearhug" complaint is a big WAAAAA WAAAAAA, IN MY OPINION!!! I thought for sure AJ learned how to be a professional from Pop. :rolleyes

pache100
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
:lol But you forgot to include Avery Johnson. That "bearhug" complaint is a big WAAAAA WAAAAAA, IN MY OPINION!!! I thought for sure AJ learned how to be a professional from Pop. :rolleyes

You forgot that ten-trick clown Don Nelson was between Pop's influence and Avery actually coaching.

rr2418
05-11-2006, 01:29 PM

PG Parker
SG Barry
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Nesterovic

J.T., I agree with you! I think either Finley or Barry would be a good start for the Spurs. Spurs need Horry to come off the bench to add that 3pt punch.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
So long as the Spurs are actually starting a 5 at the 5 spot, all is good.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Right, but that's why you want to force Nowitzki to guard a big. I think you want Bowen on Howard instead of Nowitzki. You also want the Spurs to run a bigger lineup. That means you want Mohammed on their 5 and TD on their 4.

I agree with Bowen on Howard, but I don't think "forcing" Dirk to guard Nazr is going to do much except give him the night off on defense.

Otherwise, you have to go with Bowen or another guard on Nowitzki and then you have TD at center with 4 guards.

Or Horry on Dirk, and Tim inside on the current stiff so that he can provide interior help.

I'm sure you disagree, but I don't think we lost game 2 because starting Horry isn't good enough. I think we lost game 2 because Tony and Manu sucked and we didn't keep Howard under control.

I think you stick with size on Nowitzki and focus on keeping him out of the lane. With a shotblocker behind TD I wouldn't mind the tradeoff.

I understand your point, but Nazr isn't nearly as good a help defender inside as Tim. Sending Tim out to the perimeter to chase Dirk weakens the scheme.

It might lead to better rebounding, but even then, it leaves Tim out of position to grab the boards, and puts Nazr there instead.

Honestly, I'm not wild about Nazr defending Dirk, but if I were going to start him, I would try that before I would give up the advantage of having Tim in the paint.

Anakin Skywalker
05-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I just think we had one bad game, every team does, look at how Miami played really bad at home in game one, came back in game 2 and slaughtered the nets. One game at a time, The spurs will still win in 5

A-Train
05-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I agree with Bowen on Howard, but I don't think "forcing" Dirk to guard Nazr is going to do much except give him the night off on defense.

Nowitzki can't stop a wet paper bag in the post. Bodying up on a big all night will wear him out.

Or Horry on Dirk, and Tim inside on the current stiff so that he can provide interior help.

The problem is when Tim is pulled away from the basket and you are counting on Horry or, ugh, a guard to protect the rim. The Spurs need to focus on shutting down the paint first and foremost. That's where Spurs Basketball started at the dawn of time. Next you worry about matchups.

I'm sure you disagree, but I don't think we lost game 2 because starting Horry isn't good enough. I think we lost game 2 because Tony and Manu sucked and we didn't keep Howard under control.

The Spurs lost Game 2 primarily because the rim was not protected. The Mavs had I don't know how many points in the paint, a number on easy layups. Of course, TD sitting for the last half of the 2nd quarter had something to do with this, but even when he was back in the game the interior D was poor. Why? Because it was either TD and Horry or TD and a guard up front. That is not Spurs Basketball.

I understand your point, but Nazr isn't nearly as good a help defender inside as Tim. Sending Tim out to the perimeter to chase Dirk weakens the scheme.

Having Michael Finley at the rim as the last line of defense weakens the scheme.

It might lead to better rebounding, but even then, it leaves Tim out of position to grab the boards, and puts Nazr there instead.

It's all about protecting the paint. Every Spurs championship was won based on that principle. Working out from that, you focus on challenging every shot and limiting the opponent to one and done. What matters is that it's Nazr there and not Finley or Barry. Go with Rasho if you like. I don't care. All I want to see is a shotblocker alongside TD instead of a guard.

Honestly, I'm not wild about Nazr defending Dirk, but if I were going to start him, I would try that before I would give up the advantage of having Tim in the paint.

In Game 2 TD was pulled away from the paint on any number of plays. You need the other big there, not a guard.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Nowitzki can't stop a wet paper bag in the post. Bodying up on a big all night will wear him out.

My complaint is that Nazr is a wet paper bag on offense.

The problem is when Tim is pulled away from the basket and you are counting on Horry or, ugh, a guard to protect the rim. The Spurs need to focus on shutting down the paint first and foremost. That's where Spurs Basketball started at the dawn of time. Next you worry about matchups.

Point taken.

In Game 2 TD was pulled away from the paint on any number of plays. You need the other big there, not a guard.

You're right that Tim gets pulled away from the paint a lot. And you're right that it would be nice to have a Plan B back there that was better than Horry.

But I still have a lot of trouble with the idea of pulling Tim out of the paint entirely. Because if Tim is on Dirk all night, Dirk never even tries to cross the 3-point line, and Nazr is our only line of defense in the paint.

mabber
05-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I just think we had one bad game, every team does, look at how Miami played really bad at home in game one, came back in game 2 and slaughtered the nets. One game at a time, The spurs will still win in 5

Spurs in 5??? Step away from the crack pipe :lol

Spurs might win the series but it's not gonna be in 5 games.

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 03:00 PM

You just had 1 bad game? Well in that case we had 2 bad games....

J.T.
05-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Don't say I didn't warn you when the Mavs come back to SA down 3-1. Starting with Game 3, no more Mr. Nice Pop.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Nazr vs. Dirk? I would love that as a mavs fan. Nazr is as slow of a defender on the perimeter as you get. Dirk would go for 50.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
My complaint is that Nazr is a wet paper bag on offense.

His offensive rebounding is solid. The Mavs have to box him out.

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Don't say I didn't warn you when the Mavs come back to SA down 3-1. Starting with Game 3, no more Mr. Nice Pop.

What happens if the Spurs are the ones who are down 3-1? Right now that looks likely, afterall we have home court and you guys don't have Keith Van Horn!

A-Train
05-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Nazr vs. Dirk? I would love that as a mavs fan. Nazr is as slow of a defender on the perimeter as you get. Dirk would go for 50.

We were discussing the Mavs' defense. Is Dirk going to guard TD instead?

A-Train
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
What happens if the Spurs are the ones who are down 3-1? Right now that looks likely, afterall we have home court and you guys don't have Keith Van Horn!

*shudder*

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 03:51 PM

Why would Dirk guard TD? I mean he can if that's what you're asking, but why would he? That's not his job.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Dirk would guard Nazr. Dirk guards centers just fine as long as they aren't dominant.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
The point was that when you don't follow the flow of the thread then you end up posting an irrelevant point.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Dirk would guard Nazr. Dirk guards centers just fine as long as they aren't dominant.

Good. Then Dirk will spend most of the game playing interior defense and trying to box out a real big, as opposed to being matched up with a guard.

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Hell actually he does a great job on alot of centers who are considered scorers, Brad Miller, Kaman, Mihm, Diaw, granted not dominant, but more offense than Nazr.............

J.T.
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM

I don't get Mavs fans thinking their team is in the drivers seat after a 20pt blowout when the Spurs played like shit, something they do not do consistently and certainly won't do again in this series given the results, and the game was obviously hosed by questionable officiating. If you win another game in this series, it will not be by 20 points. I suggest you shut the fuck up and let your team do the talking, at least the Spurs have a history of responding well to losses. The last team that blew us out in the playoffs was Sacramento, and they're at Bibby's lakehouse right now baiting their lines.

It's 1-1 right now, talk to me when your team has an actual fucking lead in this series.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Hell actually he does a great job on alot of centers who are considered scorers, Brad Miller, Kaman, Mihm, Diaw, granted not dominant, but more offense than Nazr.............

Right, finesse guys who tend to play outside of the paint.

J.T.
05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Oh yeah,

# of Spurs 3 game losing streaks this season: 0

Mavs have no chance at winning 3 in a row on us. Too bad their idiot fans can't see that. I'll just let the boxscore do the talking.

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Good. Then Dirk will spend most of the game playing interior defense and trying to box out a real big, as opposed to being matched up with a guard.

When was he outside the paint on defense in this series matched up with a guard? When you guys went' small he guarded TD, when you were big he guarded Nazr or Horry, he was in the paint as he is most often on defense. Memphis tried the same shit in round 1 going at Dirk in the post with that Euro Sakeledis guy, it didn't work and he has more game than Nazr.........

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Oh yeah,

Mavs have no chance at winning 3 in a row on us. Too bad their idiot fans can't see that. I'll just let the boxscore do the talking.

Well 1st I'll bring up what you guys say all the time "this isn't the regular season" 2nd you aren't playing Detroit one night, then the Bobcats the next 3rd if you're just going to let the boxscore do the talking than why are you talking trash?

Wu banga
05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Oh yeah,

But the spurs have never played the mavs 3 times in a row have they.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
When was he outside the paint on defense in this series matched up with a guard? When you guys went' small he guarded TD, when you were big he guarded Nazr or Horry, he was in the paint as he is most often on defense.

When the Spurs went small Dampier or Diop stayed on TD and Dirk guarded a guard.

Memphis tried the same shit in round 1 going at Dirk in the post with that Euro Sakeledis guy, it didn't work and he has more game than Nazr.........

Spurs aren't going to post up Nazr often, it's that playing a full game in the post on defense takes its toll. Nazr's a better player than Tsakalidis.

leemajors
05-11-2006, 04:22 PM
But the spurs have never played the mavs 3 times in a row have they.

you are correct sir. but i still don't think the mavs will win 3 in a row in this particular series, especially since that third game is at the sbc center. i am taking into account that dallas has won on our home floor already this season, but we are just as capable of stealing one on the mavs floor. this promises to be a very back and forth series, not one team winning 2-3 games in a row.

leemajors
05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Spurs aren't going to post up Nazr often, it's that playing a full game in the post on defense takes its toll. Nazr's a better player than Tsakalidis.

nazr is a better rebounder than tsakalidis, and probably a better free throw shooter. that's about it.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 04:29 PM
nazr is a better rebounder than tsakalidis, and probably a better free throw shooter. that's about it.

That's exactly what the Spurs need on the offensive end from the other big. He's also a better jumpshooter than whatshisname.

Mavtek
05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=A-Train]When the Spurs went small Dampier or Diop stayed on TD and Dirk guarded a guard.
/QUOTE]

That was rare, very rare, when the Spurs went small we countered by going small, Dirk played TD and it got him in foul trouble.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
If Nazr is guarding Dirk than there will be less opportunities for Mohammad to box out on rebounding which will still hurt the spurs rebounding. At least with Bowen you don't expect him to get rebounds anyways.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:02 PM
?

Nazr would not guard Dirk. Dirk would guard Nazr and Dampier would guard TD. On the other side, Nazr would draw Dampier and TD would get Dirk.

RIF.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I already said the flaw of the spurs going big. Duncan would have to guard Dirk or Howard or Mohammad would have to guard Howard or Dirk.
With Bowen guarding Dirk
Parker guards Harris
Ginobili guards Terry
Bowen guards Dirk
Duncan guards Howard
Mohammad guards Diop.

Dirk will have no problem with Mohammad.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Again, Nazr would not guard Nowitzki. RIF.

Bowen on Howard makes plenty of sense from the Spurs' perspective. If you put Duncan on Howard then that is a worse matchup than Duncan guarding Nowitzki. The key is for the Spurs to have two bigs on the court and prevent the penetration to the rim. That, with Bowen on Howard, reduces the likelihood that the rest of the Mavs save for Nowitzki have a big game. I'd rather give up a big game to Dirk that consists of him playing 20 feet from the rim than have Howard, Terry, Harris and Stackhouse get off.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Who will Nazr guard than? Duncan will be on Diop/Dampier so Nazr will have to guard Dirk or Howard.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Who will Nazr guard than? Duncan will be on Diop/Dampier so Nazr will have to guard Dirk or Howard.

Sheesh. Duncan gets Nowitzki. Nazr gets Dampier/Diop and Bowen gets Howard.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM

Bowen on Howard makes plenty of sense from the Spurs' perspective. If you put Duncan on Howard then that is a worse matchup than Duncan guarding Nowitzki. The key is for the Spurs to have two bigs on the court and prevent the penetration to the rim. That, with Bowen on Howard, reduces the likelihood that the rest of the Mavs save for Nowitzki have a big game. I'd rather give up a big game to Dirk that consists of him playing 20 feet from the rim than have Howard, Terry, Harris and Stackhouse get off.

Taking Duncan away from the basket by guarding Dirk will hurt San Antonio's interior defense. That is where putting Harris in the game forces one of the spurs bigs to guard the perimeter and that opens driving lanes.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Taking Duncan away from the basket by guarding Dirk will hurt San Antonio's interior defense. That is where putting Harris in the game forces one of the spurs bigs to guard the perimeter and that opens driving lanes.

...and putting Duncan on Howard is better? Duncan on Dirk makes much more sense. You have Bowen to put on Howard. Then, and this is key, instead of Horry or Barry or Finley protecting the paint you have an actual center.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Also, putting Harris in the lineup does nothing to weaken the interior defense. That is self-inflicted when Pop goes with Horry/Barry/Finley at a big spot.

v2000
05-11-2006, 06:41 PM
...and putting Duncan on Howard is better? Duncan on Dirk makes much more sense. You have Bowen to put on Howard. Then, and this is key, instead of Horry or Barry or Finley protecting the paint you have an actual center.
actually, putting Duncan on Dirk is probably the worst thing they could do. Dirk is too good of a shooter to leave open in order to guard the inside. and if Duncan played up on him, it will leave the middle wide open for lots of easy baskets by Howard, Harris, Daniels, and Stack... all of whom love to drive and cut inside. Dirk is also faster than Duncan, and would be able to drive past him, and draw some double and triple teams, leaving someone open. If they put Duncan on Dirk, it will be a short series for the Spurs.

mavsfan1000
Btw Mohammad was the center on a pretty pitiful Knicks defense. He can't guard the paint and neither can Horry. Duncan chasing Dirk around picks is tougher than Dirk guarding Mohammad. Dirk already had some big games with Duncan guarding him. Taking Duncan out of the paint will hurt the spurs rebounding, shot blocking, and will wear him out. Duncan has to guard Diop if you want him to play like he did in the first 2 games.

A-Train
actually, putting Duncan on Dirk is probably the worst thing they could do. Dirk is too good of a shooter to leave open in order to guard the inside. and if Duncan played up on him, it will leave the middle wide open for lots of easy baskets by Howard, Harris, Daniels, and Stack... all of whom love to drive and cut inside. Dirk is also faster than Duncan, and would be able to drive past him, and draw some double and triple teams, leaving someone open. If they put Duncan on Dirk, it will be a short series for the Spurs.

Again, the Spurs would have two bigs on the floor. RIF.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Btw Mohammad was the center on a pretty pitiful Knicks defense. He can't guard the paint and neither can Horry. Duncan chasing Dirk around picks is tougher than Dirk guarding Mohammad. Dirk already had some big games with Duncan guarding him. Taking Duncan out of the paint will hurt the spurs rebounding, shot blocking, and will wear him out. Duncan has to guard Diop if you want him to play like he did in the first 2 games.

And Duncan chasing Howard is supposed to be easier? Fine, Dirk can try to have his big game from 20 feet. Meanwhile, the Spurs have their interior defense again. On the offensive side of the ball, the Spurs have their 2nd big to help crash the offensive glass and set picks. All in all, it's a much better scenario for the Spurs and it is the way the Spurs have won championships. So life becomes easier for Nowitzki from 20 feet, while it just got a lot tougher for the supporting cast that won Game 2 for the Mavs.

v2000
05-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Again, the Spurs would have two bigs on the floor. RIF.
no way in hell Rasho or Nazr would be able to stop Harris or Howard's penetration ability.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Once again Mohammad can't guard the paint and Duncan will not be able to help out on defense like he usually does because he is out of position unless he leaves Dirk wide open. Howard likes to shoot around the basket anyways and Bowen is better at guarding the perimeter.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:54 PM
no way in hell Rasho or Nazr would be able to stop Harris or Howard's penetration ability.

All that matters is that there's a shotblocker waiting there to challenge them. That certainly will have an impact, regardless of how homerific you believe those two to be. Lest we forget that Howard will have Bowen draped all over him.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Once again Mohammad can't guard the paint and Duncan will not be able to help out on defense like he usually does because he is out of position unless he leaves Dirk wide open. Howard likes to shoot around the basket anyways and Bowen is better at guarding the perimeter.

Once again, Mohammed is superior at interior defense compared to Horry/Barry/Finley. Howard's game will be severely curtailed with Bowen on him.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 07:00 PM
You're substituting Duncan for Mohammad in interior defense because Duncan will be guarding the perimeter instead of the interior if he guards Dirk. Howard will score on Bowen as well. Harris would have even an easier time penetrating with Duncan on the perimeter.

strangeweather
05-11-2006, 07:03 PM

I think you're right. If they play Nazr or Rasho, Duncan on Howard is probably the best option, and it still gives them two help defenders inside. That helps the Spurs perimeter defenders edge up on the guys they're covering more effectively, which is one of the basic premises of the Spurs defense.

And you're right, covering Nazr is nothing Dirk has to get worried about, exactly. But that's okay. It's not a lineup designed to create mismatches. It's designed to allow the Spurs to play solid defense and do what they do. If they're good enough, they can win -- and in the past, they've generally proven to be good enough.

Trainwreck2100
05-11-2006, 07:04 PM

http://i2.cashmoneyuploads.com/img/owl_i_seeaa2.jpg

J.T.
05-11-2006, 07:07 PM
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/6494/yoda3oe.jpg
:idiot