PDA

View Full Version : Does this team have a physical mentality?

SenorSpur
05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
There's no question that the Spurs are a team of championship pedigree.

While watching the game last night, I was wondering whether this team has a physical mentality? They absorb a lot of blows and punishment (Harris' blow to Manu), but rarely dish any out.

It's also distressing to see the Spurs commit "soft" fouls. Allowing opponents occasional "and-1" situations. I'd like to see to them issue a good, hard, playoff foul whenever warranted.

They do, however, expend a lot of energy questioning the officials - which is reminiscient of what the Mavs used to do.

I'm sure everyone would agree that rebounding is about heart, hustle and desire. The Mavs, for the first time probably ever, have that. As a result, they get a lot of second chance offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Meanwhile, the Spurs have struggled with rebounding all year. I can't put my finger on why they are being out-physicaled and outmuscled so much. This goes back to the Sac series.

I know the team is mentally tough, I just wish they'd exhibit some physical toughness.

piston priest
05-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Because they aren't a very physical team. They really are too nice most of the time, and that might cost them a championship. Even if you get past Dallas and Phoenix/Clippers, the Pistons will man-handle them if this is all the better they can play.

ace3g
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
The spurs can play like the championship caliber team that they are, when they are "allowed" to play; which means when Manu and Parker are able to attack the basket and Duncan is working downlow in the post

spurschamp2005
05-10-2006, 11:28 AM
The main problem is manu is not at himself yet...maybe onli bout 70%....we need manu 100% form to get back the chmpionship just like he did it a year ago

A-Train
05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
You can't be physical when your 2 centers are sitting on the bench for most of the game. Fairly obvious.

DarkReign
05-10-2006, 12:39 PM
You can't be physical when your 2 centers are sitting on the bench for most of the game. Fairly obvious.

:tu

Kinda hard to be physical when youre playing small ball.

A-Train
05-10-2006, 12:43 PM
It's downright pathetic. Usually there's a big to rotate over and challenge any penetrator at the rim. That killed the Spurs more than anything last night, including the worst quarter of officiated basketball I've ever seen.

Make the Mavs matchup to you. Their frontcourt can't hang inside. Pop has basically given what AJ could only dream of from the get go. One wonders if Pop isn't getting a little soft in the shorts due to his relationship with AJ. Get back to playing Spurs Basketball and pal it up in the offseason.

greensborohill
05-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Damp & Diop > Naz & Rasho any day

DarkReign
05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Damp & Diop > Naz & Rasho any day

That too. Spurs dont have a dependable center, imo. But, Big Fundamental makes up for ALOT of this teams deficencies.

They just need a guy who can block someone out, play decent defense and get defensive rebounds. A bonus would be some offensvie rebounds.

Are Rasho and Nazr not able to do this or something? Serious question.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2006, 01:10 PM
The main problem is manu is not at himself yet...maybe onli bout 70%....we need manu 100% form to get back the chmpionship just like he did it a year ago

70% from what?

What's wrong with him?

What was his injury?

Or is he just "tired"?

BigVee
05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Looks tired to me. If I recall he played most of the fourth quarter in game one and was really out of gas. Don't think he recovered yet.

A-Train
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Both he and TP have a lot of mileage on them this season. Just as TD was rounding into form now the Spurs have TP beat up. Manu's hurt...bad. I think he's too much of a competitor to admit it, but he hasn't been himself for the past month.

boutons_
05-10-2006, 01:31 PM
I hope nobody's expecting Nazr and Rasho to add "physical" to the Spurs game.

ALL the starters for playoff teams have a lot mileage on them.
Pistons and Mavs don't seem very bothered by it.

austinfan
05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
The Spurs are going to have to get a hell of a lot more physical if they want to have a chance of beating the Pistons, because Detroit is playing clamp-down defense right now. Not just one or two players playing that way, but all 5 of them, and on every play, it seems like. This Mavs series will be crucial to us in getting into that kind of mindset.

ShoogarBear
05-10-2006, 01:46 PM
The Spurs don't have young legs in the front court. When they've looked bad, it's usually been an energy issue traceable to that.

Four days of rest should help. It would also help if Pop made Dallas have to match up to the Spurs instead of the other way around.

abelle23
05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
i just think the dallas are hungrier than spurs and thats baaad!!!
imo dallas is where spurs were years ago when they are being beaten by lakers....
dallas wants to prove themselves...