PDA

View Full Version : I cut my head... do I need stitches???

Buddy Holly
05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I cut my head at about the beginning of the hairline.

It's long and seems kinda deep (although its no longer bleeding) should I get stitches?

katyon6th
05-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Did you clean the wound? Like really really clean it?

Buddy Holly
05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, it's not bleeding, the laceration looks dark and full of blood.

LuvBones
05-10-2006, 05:03 PM
How'd you cut your head?

katyon6th
05-10-2006, 05:03 PM
What'd you cut it on?

Sounds like you need staples.

No, I'm just kidding.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2006, 05:04 PM
If you cut it on metal or something, then you might need a tetanus shot. If you didn't and it's not deep or bleeding, you probably can just superglue it shut (not joking).

Buddy Holly
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I cut it on the edge of wooden stairs.

midgetonadonkey
05-10-2006, 05:15 PM
I cut my head once when I was drunk and it was a 2 inch gash right on the top of my head. I didn't think I needed stitches but the people I was with insisted I go to the emergency room. I ended up getting 10 stitches and the doctor told me the worst place to get a cut and leave untreated is on the head. At least that's what I think he told me. I don't remember much. I was drunk.

Nbadan
05-10-2006, 05:15 PM
It's not gonna heal right unless you get stitches.

Pee-Wee Herman
05-10-2006, 05:16 PM

What kind of pictures were you taking now?

haha!!

Kori Ellis
05-10-2006, 05:28 PM

How long is the cut?

ShoogarBear
05-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Stiches might help cosmetically, depending on where the scar is.

If it's deep, it would hurt to have someone check it out. There are lots of vessels in the scalp and you can actually lose a surprising amount of blood there.

LuvBones
05-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I cut it on the edge of wooden stairs.My friend cut his head going down some stairs too... he didn't want to go anywhere at first but finally went to the hospital and it turned out he needed 10 stitches. I suggest you go.

tlongII
05-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Can you see your brain?

Buddy Holly
05-10-2006, 05:40 PM
How long is the cut?

Half an inch.

Buddy Holly
05-10-2006, 05:42 PM
My friend cut his head going down some stairs too... he didn't want to go anywhere at first but finally went to the hospital and it turned out he needed 10 stitches. I suggest you go.

I'm thinking abut just using some skin adhesive or steri-strips.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I busted my head on a doorknob about ten years ago and got a similar gash. It needed stitches then and you'll probably need stitches now.

Nbadan
05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
If he gets gang-green will they have to cut off his head?

Buddy Holly
05-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Where can I buy dermabond at?

Vashner
05-10-2006, 06:20 PM
lol.. ya dead mon?

ORION
05-10-2006, 06:30 PM
only the French get stitches

Vashner
05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Go to walmart and get the emergency stich staple kit for camping. You can staple your own head :)

Buddy Holly
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I just got done talking with two different nurses I know and both after seeing the cut say it doesn't need stitches and that some steri-tape will do the job.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I just got done talking with two different nurses I know and both after seeing the cut say it doesn't need stitches and that some steri-tape will do the job.

Well that's good.

Makes sure you clean it well so it doesn't get infected.

CharlieMac
05-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah, go to the Nix and get that shit derma-glued. You'll be there 1-2 hours as opposed to 4-12 hours in an emergency room.

RashoFan
05-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Wow you didn't call 911 for a cut on your head...just about everyone does....
Did you steri strip or what? Do you need me to look at it?

Buddy Holly
05-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Wow you didn't call 911 for a cut on your head...just about everyone does....

Nope. Should I have?

Did you steri strip or what?

Yeah.

Do you need me to look at it?

:smokin :fro

Vashner
05-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Well if you can drive yourself to a clinic or ER you can save $$$. Insurance can be stupid last time they billed me for $900 when I took a ride.

Like Kori said infection is the biggest thing. If you have a family doctor then make appt tomorrow. Just tell them what happened. Normally you can at least see a PA or RN to see if it need stitches.

Jimcs50
05-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I cut my head at about the beginning of the hairline.

It's long and seems kinda deep (although its no longer bleeding) should I get stitches?

You are not in need for stiches if you can type on the internet w/o having blood drip all over the keyboard.

Jimcs50
05-11-2006, 08:49 AM
You can use Superglue, the next time this happens.

I actually invented the use of Superglue to close a wound. About 8 yrs ago, we were at some friends' lake house and our friend ran into a glass sliding door, because one of the kids closed it, and she was walking towards the outside just looking out at the lake, and could not see that the door had been closed. Anyway, she cut her nose across the bridge about 3 mm deep, and we did not have any bandaids, so I used Superglue to close the wound and the bleeding stopped. We took her to an emergency clinic, and when the doc saw her, he asked what we did to get the bleeding to stop. I told him and he said that stitches were no longer needed and he said that I had a great idea.
Next thing I know, about one year later, there was an article in the New England Journel of Medicine about using Super Glue to close wounds, even after surgery.

I think that doc stole my idea.....I could have been a multi millionaire, had I marketed that idea...the little weasel.

:flipoff

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2006, 09:23 AM
jizz it :D

leemajors
05-11-2006, 02:58 PM

I actually invented the use of Superglue to close a wound. About 8 yrs ago, we were at some friends' lake house and our friend ran into a glass sliding door, because one of the kids closed it, and she was walking towards the outside just looking out at the lake, and could not see that the door had been closed. Anyway, she cut her nose across the bridge about 3 mm deep, and we did not have any bandaids, so I used Superglue to close the wound and the bleeding stopped. We took her to an emergency clinic, and when the doc saw her, he asked what we did to get the bleeding to stop. I told him and he said that stitches were no longer needed and he said that I had a great idea.
Next thing I know, about one year later, there was an article in the New England Journel of Medicine about using Super Glue to close wounds, even after surgery.

I think that doc stole my idea.....I could have been a multi millionaire, had I marketed that idea...the little weasel.

so all this happened before world war 2, when superglue was first used for that purpose? you saved many a soldier, jim.

Jimcs50
05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
uper
so all this happened before world war 2, when superglue was first used for that purpose? you saved many a soldier, jim.

That was not Super Glue, that was probably methyl cyanoacrylate, which was rejected due to its potential tissue toxicity or local foreign body reactions.

The article in The Journal mentions other glues that were tried and discarded over the years, but it recommended the use of Super Glue because of the inert properties and effectiveness w/o complications. Super Glue is now used in surgery in Canada and Europe quite often.

ShoogarBear
05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, I bet I can guess how Jim saves costs on putting crowns in.

Jimcs50
05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, I bet I can guess how Jim saves costs on putting crowns in.

:lol

Actually I hate it when patients recement temporaries with the stuff, it makes it impossible to get them off without grinding off the temps and then the crown might not fit afterwards.

Vashner
05-11-2006, 04:33 PM
jizz it :D

I think you hit a new low...
:idiot

Lt. Dan
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
got any pics?

ShoogarBear
05-11-2006, 07:31 PM
:lol

Actually I hate it when patients recement temporaries with the stuff, it makes it impossible to get them off without grinding off the temps and then the crown might not fit afterwards.
People actually try to recement their own temps at home? :wtf

Do they ever try to do their own drilling too?

1Parker1
05-11-2006, 08:07 PM

:lmao :lmao

2Blonde
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
People actually try to recement their own temps at home? :wtf

Do they ever try to do their own drilling too?

The temps come loose all the time. They actually make temporary cement you can buy at HEB or wherever. But there is always some dumbass who decides to use superglue instead. :rolleyes The temporary caps only come loose at night and on weekends and holidays (it's a contractual thing).