PDA

View Full Version : Pistons fan that RESPECTS the Spurs

LoveOfTheGame
05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Hello Spurs Fans, I've just wandered over here to tell you how great of a franchise you guys in SA really have.

Yes I’ve been a Pistons fan all my life and I bleed blue and white, but what I really respect about your guys team is the professionalism that your team has, and the team-work it applies each and every game. Detroit I believe is the same way, we know too the power of team-work, and that’s why both teams are always such fierce competitors for the championship every year. These teams play not for the contracts or the Nike ads, they play to win that ultimate prize. The Spurs and Pistons may not be the flashiest teams, or may not be the teams that attracts so many bandwagon fans, but you have to admit they are a class pretty much all by themselves.

Since last years playoffs I have really come to like almost all the Spurs. During the finals they all stayed right in our local downtown suburb and I had a chance to get autographs and talk to each one. I can say 100% that all the players were really relaxed and took time to talk with fans, instead of being caught up in stardom. Robert Horry singed a bunch of autographs, and was probably one of the more classiest players I have ever met, Brent Barry took time to joke around with fans about playing his brother Jon one on one in high school, and Poppavich after his jog around the downtown took a breather and signed autographs and I asked him who he though were the best teams in the NBA, he said without a doubt that the only 2 teams that really make a hard team effort every year to go out and win a championship are the Pistons and Spurs.

In addition the Spurs are very classy and respectful on post game interviews. They always comment the other team and give a hand to their efforts, and never attribute losses to only themselves (what the heat and many many other teams do when they lose)

One more thing, I truly believe that most Detroit fans really do respect the Spurs, despite what you may think. After losing to you guys in Game 7, yes everyone was devastated, but many of us were graceful in defeat and accepted that the Spurs were a great team that truly deserved to win. Just read what famous sports and Pistons announcer George Blaha said over the Detroit radio airwaves when the buzzer sounded.

“George Blaha, WDFN-AM (1130): "Rip down the lane, outside to Tayshaun. Guns for three. Off the iron. At the horn. And the celebration will begin in San Antonio. This team's courageous fight for another title has been stopped, really, just inches short here in a Game 7 in San Antonio. This was a grudge match with no grudges. These teams truly like and respect each other, and they fought hard all night long. But the Spurs, feeding off their home crowd, like the Pistons did so many times this year, hung on to win it, 81-74. And the silver and the black and the white confetti is coming down from the heavens, it seems, here in San Antonio. It's a great feeling if you're a Spurs fan. The Pistons know all about it. They won a title on courage and guts and great, great talent and toughness and they took the Spurs all the way to Game 7 here in 2005. The first Game 7 in 11 years in the NBA, and like 12 of the first 15 Game 7's in the Finals, it's gone to the home team.”

The Spurs folks are a class act, and I really do respect your team in so many ways. Good Luck this year guys, and may we meet in the finals!

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
You lost me at "Hello..."

midgetonadonkey
05-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Too much reading.

LoveOfTheGame
05-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Come on guys, its a good read promise.

I know this a quite a change from fans coming over to talk nothing but smack talk from other teams.

midgetonadonkey
05-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I will not read it. I'm going back to the Quattro where I belong.

Dunc
05-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Pistons fans usually do pretty well over here. But nobody likes to read a long intro message.

LoveOfTheGame
05-10-2006, 08:57 PM
This isnt really an Intro Message, more of a this is what I have to say about the Spurs and Pistons, and good luck. I dont like to flood other forums, ill be heading back to the Pistons.com message board now, if any of you guys want to chat on there repectfully, come on in.

JamStone
Send the cliffnotes, and a few Spurs fans will read.

People will read long posts if they know you write good posts. You can't introduce yourself with a post that long though.

Pistons < Spurs
Solid first post. Welcome to Spurstalk. Glad to see another Piston fan! :fro

Kori Ellis
05-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't know why you all are killing this guy/girl about their post being so long .. it's not THAT long. :lol

Welcome to the forum. You are right about the respect between the Spurs and Pistons (and most of their fans). Hopefully the teams will meet in the Finals again in June.

Dunc
05-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Stick around here. It's good to have another Pistons fan here. You'll like it, I promise :D

2centsworth
05-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I read it and thought it was cool. I think most spurs fans think the same of the Detroit Pistons, especially when LB was coach.

LoveOfTheGame
05-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Stick around here. It's good to have another Pistons fan here. You'll like it, I promise :D

Maybe... ill see what kind of reception I get from this first post. :duck

jmard5
05-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Same attitude that me and my brother has in regards to each other's teams. He is a Pistons fan.

Dunc
05-10-2006, 09:05 PM
After actually reading it, I thought it was kinda cool :) In all honesty, I saw lots of news reports on how people were going to the Spurs hotel when they were in town for autographs, and I wasn't too impressed, but I can't blame anybody who did that. It's an exciting thing, no doubt. I kinda prefer the reception the Lakers got the year before (kids screaming outside their hotel all night long), but whatcha gonna do? :)

Anyway, you're right, there's no question the Spurs are classy.

FromWayDowntown
I dug the post and the sentiment. The mutual respect of those teams was evident in the first regular season game played in 2004-05 -- in San Antonio, the Pistons were introduced as the "World Champion Detroit Pistons." It was such a joy to watch teams just play the game without all the b.s. and nonsense.

Glad to hear the Spurs treated Michiganders so well during their stay.

Vinnie_Johnson
Maybe... ill see what kind of reception I get from this first post. :duck

Hit the road loser!!!

Just kidding :lol

2centsworth
05-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I dug the post and the sentiment. The mutual respect of those teams was evident in the first regular season game played in 2004-05 -- in San Antonio, the Pistons were introduced as the "World Champion Detroit Pistons." It was such a joy to watch teams just play the game without all the b.s. and nonsense.

Glad to hear the Spurs treated Michiganders so well during their stay.

when the two teams meet it's all basketball, and that's what I like too. Also, as a whole the Detroit Fans aren't douche bags like most other fans.

LoveOfTheGame
05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
After actually reading it, I thought it was kinda cool :) In all honesty, I saw lots of news reports on how people were going to the Spurs hotel when they were in town for autographs, and I wasn't too impressed, but I can't blame anybody who did that. It's an exciting thing, no doubt. I kinda prefer the reception the Lakers got the year before (kids screaming outside their hotel all night long), but whatcha gonna do? :)

Anyway, you're right, there's no question the Spurs are classy.

Yes that was much better. I was at both. Pistons fans didnt have much heart for the Lakers, and now its the Heat. Someone in 2004 came with a boombox and blasted shaq's rap album at 3am... yes it got out of control, people chanting all night long, driving by honking their horns, it was a crazy year to be a Pistons fan. People were in fact much much nicer to the spurs.

I can recall one night after game 4 I believe we went up at around 11:30 pm waiting for the Spurs bus to pull up, and when it did... no players. We got a tip from some other fan who heard that they were eating at Camerons Steak house about a 5 min walk north. There we camped out for about 1 1/2 hours waiting for them to finsh their midnight steak! :lol . Tony Parker came out at one point because the waiter spilled AI steak sauce all over his white dress shirt, and we got to say Hi. And Pop came out and he chatted with us for a bit after he finshed his cell phone call.... so yeah... we are pretty presistant on getting autographings/talking to the players.

Dunc
05-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Didn't they basically make Cameron's their post-game restaurant? Seems to me I heard that they stayed open late just for the Spurs, not for the public.

LoveOfTheGame
05-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Didn't they basically make Cameron's their post-game restaurant? Seems to me I heard that they stayed open late just for the Spurs, not for the public.

Yes, just for the spurs, it closes to the public around 11pm. Good resteraunt too, very expensive and nice. $45 steaks (but they are amazing)

LittleGeneral
05-10-2006, 09:53 PM
You lost me at "Hello..."

Lost me at "Spurs."

Brutalis
05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
" SpursFans" ... lost

who the hell are the Spurs?

ObiwanGinobili
05-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Great 1st post. Stick around, we always have room for some kickass Pistons fans. :tu

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Hello you're like the 15th one.

Dunc
05-10-2006, 10:10 PM
" SpursFans" ... lost

who the hell are the Spurs?

I'm impressed you got past the first word. Gettin better Brutalis.

Brutalis
05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm reading "Ben Wallace counts to 10, backwards."

Dunc
05-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm reading "Ben Wallace counts to 10, backwards."

It's a start, no doubt. Good going my friend :)

Brutalis
05-10-2006, 10:21 PM

Solid D
05-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Welcome to the Forum and glad you wandered over LoveOfTheGame. Don't worry about it, your post wasn't that long. Some of the folks here are quickly distracted by flashy objects. Compared with some of the "filibuster" posts and rants in here over the years, your post was nothing.

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the Forum and glad you wandered over LoveOfTheGame. Don't worry about it, your post wasn't that long. Some of the folks here are quickly distracted by flashy objects. Compared with some of the "filibuster" posts and rants in here over the years, your post was nothing.

3 words, Whott David Robinson

Solid D
05-10-2006, 10:25 PM
:lol true dat

T Park
05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Great post, and I agree, it is great to have another smart Pistons fan.

Both teams can agree both franchises have an its us against them mentality, and its well deserved.

I hope we don't see you guys in the Finals, sorry, Im lazy i like an easier route :lol

Vinnie_Johnson
05-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Great post, and I agree, it is great to have another smart Pistons fan.

Both teams can agree both franchises have an its us against them mentality, and its well deserved.

I hope we don't see you guys in the Finals, sorry, Im lazy i like an easier route :lol

Come on don't you want to beat the best us Pistons fans do that why we want The Spurs to make it. :fro

Texas_Ranger
05-11-2006, 03:13 AM
cool post and welcome

travis2
05-11-2006, 06:48 AM
:tu

DarrinS
05-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I think the Spurs and Pistsons (as well as their fans) have a mutual respect for each other.

The Pistons fans that post here usually have something intersting to say. Can't say the same thing for other teams' fans.

Welcome.

MadDog73
05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
As a Laker Hater, I'll always like the Pistons.

Glad to see the feeling is somewhat mutual, as well!

Tanya
05-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Yes! One more pistons fan. ^^
The pistons and the spurs respect each other. They want to play each other in the finals, I am sure about that. :hat
However, not many people want that to happen. I went to the espn message board, someone started a thread named:"if the spurs and the pistons play the final this year again, will you watch?" Guess what, more than half replies were "NO, THEY ARE BORING." I can't believe no one want to watch the best play the best.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Welcome aboard. My experience last year was that the relationship between the fans of the Spurs and Pistons on this board was much like it was between the two teams. During the regular season and leading up to the finals it was a regular love fest in here, but once the series actually began the shit started flying. And then once it was over things snapped back to the way they were pretty quickly. Pistons fans set the standard for non-Spurs fans who post here.

4001 STEREO SPUR
05-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Come on don't you want to beat the best us Pistons fans do that why we want The Spurs to make it. :fro

Yeah, that would make another championship that much better.

CubanMustGo
05-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Welcome, great first post. :tu I just hope you'll continue to have a reason to post here after the next couple of weeks. :depressed

NoMoneyDown
05-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes! One more pistons fan. ^^
The pistons and the spurs respect each other. They want to play each other in the finals, I am sure about that. :hat
However, not many people want that to happen. I went to the espn message board, someone started a thread named:"if the spurs and the pistons play the final this year again, will you watch?" Guess what, more than half replies were "NO, THEY ARE BORING." I can't believe no one want to watch the best play the best.

What's so funny this year (thus far) is this:

Offense PPG (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?cat1=Total&cat2=team&sort=232&conferenc e=NBA&year=postseason_2005)
#2 Detroit, 106.6 PPG
#4 San Antonio, 102.4 PPG
#8 Dallas, 98.5 PPG
#13 New Jersey, 93.4 PPG

Defense PPG (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?cat1=Total&cat2=opponent&sort=332&confe rence=NBA&year=postseason_2005)
#1 Dallas, 85.8 PPG
#2 New Jersey, 91.2 PPG
#6 Detroit, 95.0 PPG
#8 San Antonio, 97.8 PPG

2centsworth
05-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Pistons fans set the standard for non-Spurs fans who post here.

yup.

abelle23
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
great first post!! piston fans rocks!!!

pache100
05-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I'll tell you this...I think the Pistons and the Spurs are the two most evenly matched (in just about every aspect) teams to come along in a very long time. And, I'll also say...if the Spurs make it to the finals and lose (god forbid)...there isn't another team I'd rather see them lose to than the Pistons; to me, there is no more worthy opponent.

Welcome to spurstalk. Mutual respect is rare and especially hard to find on message boards, where people tend to freak out and lose touch with reality at times.

TimFan
05-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Nice post. Many Piston fans on this forum are pretty smart and cool. I respect your team very much.

tlongII
05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I am SICK about reading about respect between the Spurs and Pistons. These franchises can take their "holier than thou" attitudes and STICK IT!

The Spurs won't even make it to the Finals this year.

SpursWoman
05-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Pistons fans set the standard for non-Spurs fans who post here.

And most of them set the standard for Spurs fans who post here. :fro

The Cougar
05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I am SICK about reading about respect between the Spurs and Pistons. These franchises can take their "holier than thou" attitudes and STICK IT!

The Spurs won't even make it to the Finals this year.

DAMN RIGHT!!! minus the whole Spurs not making it thing.

bdubya
05-11-2006, 12:58 PM

Respect is earned, not bought. All Paul Allen's cash didn't buy it, and 21-61 sure as hell won't earn it, lottery boy.

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Cool comments.

I didn't think it was that long. Besides when you have worthwhile things to say, then it is a pleasure to read. You did have worthwhile things to say.

If Spurs don't make it (and I still think they will) to the Finals, I will be cheering for the Pistons. I could make several large if I could find mouse or another mavsfan to bet for the Mavericks against the Pistons (if the Mavs get past the Spurs- still don't see that happening).

It's interesting, prior to postering here, I wasn't crazy about the Pistons and could stand the Mavs. After being here about a year or so, my three favorite teams are (1) Spurs, (2) Pistons and (3) anybody playing the Spurs. That change occurred because (1) mouse is such a rude obnoxious Mavs poster
and (2) the Pistons fans, by and large, have shown real knowledge of the game and respect for the Spurs.

The Pistons only have to beat the Nets to get into the finals. Pistons will beat the Cavs in 5. Pistons are favorites to get past Nets. You all have made it look so easy thus far. Will the Nets be a challenge or will all the teams look like scrubs compared to you guys?

Great post. Most welcome.