PDA

View Full Version : DMM: Mavs sure they didn't see the real Spurs

SilverPlayer
05-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Mavs sure they didn't see the real Spurs

07:30 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 10, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks had just shown a mean streak wider than Charles Barkley's backside. It was a few minutes after Game 2 in San Antonio, and neither the sweat nor the emotional high had dried up.

The Mavericks had out-bullied the Spurs, and coach Avery Johnson was trying to keep things in perspective while others were running rampant with enthusiasm.

"Hey," Johnson cautioned as he rapid-walked through the bowels of AT&T Center, "this is just a step in the right direction. That's all."

Having tied the best-of-7 series at 1-1 with a stunning 113-91 win late Tuesday night, the Mavericks have reason to be excited. They come home to American Airlines Center for Games 3 and 4 knowing that they can hit the curve that the Spurs always seem to throw them.

They also are aware that they may have to win again in San Antonio to advance past this series.

The Spurs haven't lost three games in a row all season. So it stands to reason they are real threats to win at least one of the next two games. They didn't have the best road record in the league in the regular season by accident.

Of course, in the regular season, they didn't have to play the Mavericks three straight, either.

"We're not 20 points better than the Spurs," Johnson said. "They're the champions. One win by a team in the Western Conference semifinals doesn't mean anything's been taken away from them."

Except maybe a little of their invincibility, a little of their swaggerand a whole lot of momentum.

If the Spurs are to regain the home-court advantage, they now are the ones who will have to come out with a remarkable effort like the one the Mavericks had Tuesday night. And they are capable. This San Antonio team is not so different from the one that won all three playoff games at AAC in the 2003 Western Conference finals.

"I know they're not going to play like this in Game 3," Johnson said of the egg the Spurs laid Tuesday.

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson concurred.

"We don't think we found the key to the matrix," he said. "This is just one game. We played really well. Now we have to go from here."

Johnson gave the players the day off Wednesday. He said their style of play Tuesday night, when they showed more toughness than the Spurs, wasn't anything new.

"The times when our players don't show that mean streak, that's when I really get angry," he said. "I think we've pretty much had one. I've tried to bring it out of them more. A guy can miss a shot. That doesn't bother me as much as not really showing that meanness and that mental toughness. That's why we got guys like Stack and Damp. Those guys are pretty tough."

Johnson continues to get accolades for his decision to insert Devin Harris into the starting lineup for Game 2. But the harder edge with which the team played was every bit as crucial to the victory.

But, as Johnson was quick to add: "There's nothing rosy about this series from our point of view. I'm fully prepared to get back to practice, and hopefully our team will play well again."

DMM (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/051106dnspomavslede.1bedb8fc.html)

Brutalis
05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Avery is on repeat, "I played for them remember! They commin'!!!"

cheguevara
05-11-2006, 09:17 AM
I have a huge feeling this series is gonna be alternating between 1 bad game from Mavs to 1 bad game from Spurs and go 7 games.

A-Train
05-11-2006, 09:29 AM
When the Spurs play 4 guards and Duncan misses half of the 2nd quarter, yeah, you didn't see the real Spurs.

MadDog73
05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson concurred.

"We don't think we found the key to the matrix," he said. "This is just one game. We played really well. Now we have to go from here."

:lol

mabber
05-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I have a huge feeling this series is gonna be alternating between 1 bad game from Mavs to 1 bad game from Spurs and go 7 games.

I think the games will be mostly tight but I can definitely see the teams alternating wins and the series going 7 games. I think the Mavs need to win in 6 games cuz I just don't see the Spurs losing a game 7 at home.

mavsfan1000
05-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I think this series will be tight but even though Avery says they don't have a key I think they got an idea what it takes to beat the spurs and how to attack them. I am saying mavs in 6.

J.T.
05-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Spurs split 3&4 @ AAC, win 5 at home and win 6 at AAC. My original prediction was 5 and I'll stick with that if we get both at AAC but I ain't counting my chickens on that one. Should be good basketball.

George Gervin's Afro
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I think this series will be tight but even though Avery says they don't have a key I think they got an idea what it takes to beat the spurs and how to attack them. I am saying mavs in 6.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion

z0sa
05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
mavs in six thats a joke

phyzik
05-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Spurs = The Matrix!

Even Neo, after all his trials and tribulations, couldnt fully bring down the Matrix and finally had to succomb to the Machines!!! :flag:

4001 STEREO SPUR
05-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Apparently wolves is let out of the cage @ midnight. :blah :blah

Louie Vega
05-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Expect the same for game 3 as in game 2. Then you'll see why the No-repeat clause hinged on your precious Spurs is still in play! :rolleyes

I can't believe that a fan of the worst franchise in the NBA is talking shit. The wolves are the new Clippers !!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO !!!!!! How does it feel to take the Clippers place wolves fan? Come talk to me when Garnett opts out of his contract !!!!! You must be a Clippers fan now. Cassell is having the time of his life being out of that freezer in Minnesota and living that California life. PAY YOUR ROLE PLAYERS AND MAYBE YOU CAN HAVE A DECENT SEASON EVERY YEAR INSTEAD OF EVERY 4 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greensborohill
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Macs are all a bunch of n******

leemajors
05-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Macs are all a bunch of n******

get out of here with that crap.