PDA

View Full Version : Spurs guards Parker and Ginobili need every bit of three days off

TMTTRIO
05-11-2006, 12:31 AM
At last, a lengthy break: Spurs guards Parker and Ginobili need every bit of three days off

Web Posted: 05/11/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051106.1C.BKNspurs.mavs.1c9fca33.html

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker shuffled between the massage table and the whirlpool Wednesday afternoon, each doing well enough to remember what hurts where.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich took a break from watching film to check on their health, and then he delivered the same status report for El and Le Contusión with a simple, "They're fine."

For more than a week — even with Parker's bruises having bruises and Ginobili needing a bandage to cover a gash above his chin — Popovich has declared his two guards "fine." But while the everybody-plays-hurt, no-excuses mantra is noble, there is a difference between feeling "fine" and "good," and as fine as Ginobili and Parker may be, they most certainly aren't good.

Despite wearing enough protective padding between them to outfit the average NFL lineman, Parker and Ginobili left Tuesday's 113-91 loss to Dallas with far more than their egos battered. With the Western Conference semifinal series tied 1-1 and not resuming until Saturday at American Airlines Center, the Spurs can only hope the extended break gives their starting backcourt time to recover.

"That," Parker said of the layoff, "is going to be huge."

Parker played Tuesday with a deep bruise to his right thigh, a right hip strain and a left quadriceps contusion. He also banged his right elbow.

Ginobili began the game wearing a protective sleeve over his left calf, which soon became the least of his worries. On the first possession of the second half, Mavericks center De- Sagana Diop cracked him hard to the court. Ginobili landed with a thud on his tailbone and hip and needed help to get to the free-throw line.

Less than four minutes later, Devin Harris caught Ginobili in the face with an elbow. Called for a foul, Ginobili looked up in disbelief with blood dripping from his mouth. The force of the collision made one of Ginobili's teeth puncture a hole below his bottom lip.

Popovich, who gave the team Wednesday off, said the short turnaround after the first-round series against the Kings might have mentally worn on the Spurs more Tuesday than in the opening game. But he also downplayed the team's injuries.

"Sure, we have some guys banged up," he said. "But I'm sure they do, too."

In truth, the Mavericks seem to be regaining their health at the right time. Josh Howard and Harris, who each missed significant time late in the season with injuries, combined to score 47 points Tuesday. The Spurs had no answer for their speed and athleticism, in part, because their two most athletic players — Parker and Ginobili — lacked their usual explosiveness.

Harris, who started and helped energize Dallas' offense, repeatedly broke down the Spurs' defense off middle pick-and-rolls. Parker, whom Tim Duncan described as "down a half-step," struggled to stay in front of Harris.

"We were not counting on him that much," Ginobili said. "He was amazing, taking it to the basket, drawing fouls."

The loss was the Spurs' second-worst at home in the playoffs. Only a 23-point defeat to Philadelphia in Game 5 of the 1979 Eastern Conference semifinals was more decisive.

The Mavericks used the same defense as the Spurs, even calling some of the same switches, with one difference: They played it better. Of the Spurs' 66 shots, only 21 were uncontested — that's about a third less than they usually average.

The length and athleticism of Dallas' players, whether it was Howard and Harris or Jerry Stackhouse and Marquis Daniels, frustrated the Spurs. Even when Parker and Ginobili did get into the lane, they lacked the lift to shoot over the Mavericks' centers.

Parker and Ginobili finished with a combined 28 points on 10-of-25 shooting.

"Dallas' defense was excellent," Popovich said. "We have to figure out, offensively, how we're going to score against them."

That probably means relying even more on Duncan, who has 59 points in the two games. In both games, Dallas seemed to let one of its big men take Duncan alone in the first half before doubling him in the final two quarters. On Tuesday, he made 8 of 10 shots and 12 of 14 free throws.

Duncan went to the bench with 6:21 left in the first half after picking up his third foul on a charge call.

Popovich called Duncan's exit "monstrous": The Spurs didn't make another shot the rest of the quarter and went into halftime trailing 58-38.

"This is the most active and most dynamic he's been in a long time," Popovich said. "'Playoff Timmy' is certainly there. Now we need to get more help from more people."

Unfortunately for the Spurs, Duncan hasn't become only their most productive player.

He also might be their healthiest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

boutons_
05-11-2006, 12:39 AM
"offensively, how we're going to score against them."

FIRST: Present major obstacles Mavs' scoring.

Where is the Spurs defense, AWOL again?

Spurologist
05-11-2006, 12:53 AM
No shit thread.

I don't care what anybody says, but Tony looked slow out there. He didn't have the same burst to the basket. layups that normally fall down for him were short. It was almost saddening to see him get an offensive foul early in the game in the open court. Tony beats anyone in the open floor 90% of the time.

With Manu, I don't know what's up with him. Maybe his bruise/injury is psychological. hypochondriac?? He looks disinterested in taking the ball to the basket. He's throwing up too many jumpshots out there. Working inside out is an idea. The thing that bothered my the most about his play is he didn't provide his usual energy. Where is the hustle, passion, steals, that has come to be expected? I have yet to see the manu from last year. I look for him to bounce back. Game 3: Manu = 30pts.

greyforest
05-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker shuffled between the massage table and the whirlpool Wednesday afternoon, each doing well enough to remember what hurts where.

this is BULLSHIT!

Pop needs to get out the WHIPS AND CHAINS, and make shit happen!

George Gervin's Afro
05-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Well I'm glad for the rest because Tony and Manu need it.

Hook Dem
05-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Bruce Bowen would be the first to pull out "it is what it is" card. This team was worn out by a tough series in SAC and this little rest period is just what they needed. Not only that but there was a two time zone change in that series. If the Spurs lose this series, I will be the first to admit they don't have it anymore, but pardon me if I'm not ready to play that card just yet. They have proven to everyone time and time again that they are the best and are dissed by the media and now their fans! Either be a true fan or not at all. Do you get up every morning and claim the sky is falling? Go watch the "Rocky" movies till they get this thing done! We will admit you back on the bandwagon after they prove you wrong!!!!!! Have a little faith and quit acting so spoiled! :elephant

abelle23
05-11-2006, 09:17 AM
hope the rest will do them good...hoping to see them dominate in game 3!!! go spuuuurrrrs!!!

cheguevara
05-11-2006, 09:24 AM
thank god the Spurs organization invested in a couple of these for these situations:

http://www.cryogenicsinternational.com/CI-System-web2.jpg

manu and tony will be coming out of these on sat

DarrinS
05-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Tony will be fine. He's got youth on his side.

Who I'm really worried about is Manu. Landing on your tailbone on hardwood is NOT GOOD. He's probably extremely sore today. That shot he took to the chops is not really an issue. Let's hope that Manu gets healthy, because, without his contributions, I don't see the Spurs advancing.

MadDog73
05-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Tony will be fine. He's got youth on his side.

Who I'm really worried about is Manu. Landing on your tailbone on hardwood is NOT GOOD. He's probably extremely sore today. That shot he took to the chops is not really an issue. Let's hope that Manu gets healthy, because, without his contributions, I don't see the Spurs advancing.

Agreed. Which is why the "trade Manu" thread is ridiculous...

wildbill2u
05-11-2006, 10:06 AM
I think everyone will agree that this Mavs club that won 60 games is so good that we need everyone to play at 100%....and if injuries drop that figure to 85% for two of our stars, we are in trouble.

1Parker1
05-11-2006, 10:14 AM
It is pretty ironic that before the playoffs started...everyone was talking on and on about Tim Duncan's health as being the X-Factor......and now he seems to be the healthiest. Let's hope Manu and Tony get better by Saturday. I want to see another 20+ points each from our big 3.