PDA

View Full Version : Finley curious to hear reception in Dallas

Slydragon
05-12-2006, 01:09 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12746495/

Please_dont_ban_me
05-12-2006, 01:54 AM
I hope Finley doesn't pull an Horry and disappear against his former team.

RON ARTEST
05-12-2006, 01:54 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12746495/
they are gonna cheer. thats a no brainer.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-12-2006, 01:56 AM
they are gonna cheer. thats a no brainer.

I agree.

They should boo Cuban and management, if anything. They ran him out.

milkyway21
05-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave Finley no guarantees of playing time. Still, there obviously would be a plum role for someone who'd averaged 19 points for his career.

Backing up Manu Ginobili, Finley averaged 10.1 points and 26.5 minutes.

He scored 21 points the night he turned 33 and broke 20 six more times. San Antonio went 7-0 in those games. Finley also played in 77 games, his most since '01, and started 18.

Spurs 7-0 when Finley scores 20?

gee, how about another 20 for game3 Mike?:flag:

RON ARTEST
05-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Spurs 7-0 when Finley scores 20?

gee, how about another 20 for game3 Mike?:flag:
if he plays well i doubt he would contribute 20 points.

J.T.
05-12-2006, 02:27 AM
20 points from everyone that plays! Spurs 200 Mavs 85!

SA Gunslinger
05-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Finley just needs to relax and let the game come to him like he did the end of the regular season. He has plenty in the tank. Stackhouse might be a better overall player but I think Finley is a much better shooter.

It always comes down to making shots for the Spurs. I like our chances with Barry and Finley off the bench.

milkyway21
05-12-2006, 02:57 AM
20 points from everyone that plays! Spurs 200 Mavs 85!whoa are you saying Rasho/Nazr/Horry/Brent/Beno will contribute 20 at the same time too? in 48 min? :lol

when Finley made that 20-pt game was the Spurs' score was 200?

i think this is more logical :
Duncan 24
TP 20
Manu 18
Finley 20
Brent 8
Horry 6
Rasho/Nazr 8
Bowen 6

we were averaging 108 pts in the last playoffs against the Suns, we can do it again. But this time Mike has to help more in scoring bec. Manu's not playing to his full potential yet.

whottt
05-12-2006, 03:14 AM
I got a question...

Why is Stackhouse all of a sudden better than Finley? Since when?

Take a look at their career stats...Finley's better, across the board except for Stack scoring 1 more PPG and Finley's only a year older.

If Stack being able to create his own shot means he shoots 40% from the field and 30% from three...No thanks.

IMO, Stack is scarier at the end of a game(lots of guys are scarier than Finely at the end of a game), that's the one advantage he has.

T-Pain
05-12-2006, 03:19 AM
i say he'll get a nice ovation. Im sure Mavs nation still loves him, just like we love Avery.

Hook Dem
05-12-2006, 07:35 AM
i say he'll get a nice ovation. Im sure Mavs nation still loves him, just like we love Avery.
Speak for yourself when loving AJ! :spin

DFW Spurs
05-12-2006, 07:47 AM
I'll be there cheering for him and anyone in silver and black. Yeaaa!

Shank
05-12-2006, 08:31 AM
He had his chance to be applauded when the Spurs came through during the regular season. Playoffs - time to boo.

Same with Nash last season. Dallas fans showed their appreciation when it was "just a game", but the boo-birds came out when the playoffs rolled around.

LEONARD
05-12-2006, 08:48 AM
LOL...

They just played a sound bite on the radio of Dirk asking the fans to boo him...hahahaha

mabber
05-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I got a question...

Why is Stackhouse all of a sudden better than Finley? Since when?

Take a look at their career stats...Finley's better, across the board except for Stack scoring 1 more PPG and Finley's only a year older.

If Stack being able to create his own shot means he shoots 40% from the field and 30% from three...No thanks.

IMO, Stack is scarier at the end of a game(lots of guys are scarier than Finely at the end of a game), that's the one advantage he has.

Stackhouse may not be much better than Finley but he's a much better fit for this particular Maverick team. Mavs really needed his toughness and leadership. Yes, he shoots a lower % than Finley but he keeps the team aggressive by taking the ball to the hoop and getting to the foul line. Finley is just a jump shooter which is really what the Spurs needed so I think it works for both team.

leemajors
05-12-2006, 08:59 AM
if mavs fans are so confident finley will disappear in crunch time, why boo?

Oh, Gee!!
05-12-2006, 09:02 AM
They'll boo him at this point. It's war.

LEONARD
05-12-2006, 09:05 AM
if mavs fans are so confident finley will disappear in crunch time, why boo?

Because booing is supposed to make him play worse? I really doubt that Mavs fans that boo are doing it because they're afraid he won't disappear... :rolleyes

I'd think it could have the opposite effect actually...get him fired up...

CubanMustGo
05-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Dirk was quoted in today's DMN as encouraging the crowd to boo Finley:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/051206dnspomavsdate.21809b41.html

As far as Dirk Nowitzki is concerned, it's time to let the boos flow.

For the second year in a row, Nowitzki and the Mavs are playing against a former fan favorite in Dallas. Last year, it was Steve Nash and Phoenix. This time, it's Michael Finley and San Antonio.

Nowitzki said any sentimentality between him and his good friends is long gone.

"We're all over it," he said. "Hopefully, we'll win the series and move on."

Asked what kind of reception he thinks Finley deserves, Nowitzki said: "It's playoff time. I think he got his cheers in the two regular-season games. Now it's time to boo him."

What sort of reception does the former Mavericks guard expect?

"I haven't done anything wrong," Finley said. "Some will cheer me, and some will boo me.

"I left because they didn't want me, not because it was my choice."

Deb
05-12-2006, 09:10 AM
LOL...

They just played a sound bite on the radio of Dirk asking the fans to boo him...hahahaha
Really classy, Dirk. I wouldn't have expected any less from the goatman.

caŽlo
05-12-2006, 09:23 AM
dirk is a real asshole just like cuban.

thats not the first time dirk said something stupid

Oh, Gee!!
05-12-2006, 09:29 AM

It's not bad, IMO. He's calling on his fans to root for the home team and boo the away team.

Oh, Gee!!
05-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Hell, when we trade Manu's sorry ass to Miami for Dwade, I'll boo Manu too. J/K

mabber
05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Hell, when we trade Manu's sorry ass to Miami for Dwade, I'll boo Manu too. J/K

Yeah, Miami is gonna make that trade :lol :lol :lol

pache100
05-12-2006, 09:51 AM
It's not bad, IMO. He's calling on his fans to root for the home team and boo the away team.

You can root for the home team without booing anybody. That is stupid, booing Finley. It's stupid and lame for Dirk to call for it. I thought he had more class than that.

ducks
05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
hope they boo them
spurs will get ticked and run them out of the gym

Oh, Gee!!
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
You can root for the home team without booing anybody. That is stupid, booing Finley. It's stupid and lame for Dirk to call for it. I thought he had more class than that.

I'll remeber that next time Seattle comes to the AT&T center :rolleyes. Stop being such a fucking homer, pache.

Shank
05-12-2006, 10:09 AM
You're reading the quote as he said it, but the audio of him is Dirk in a kidding manner. He's playing around with Fin. It's not as serious as you think.

rascy13
05-12-2006, 10:10 AM

He has fans????

Oh, Gee!!
05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
He has fans????

No. I think people accidentally show up to the AA center expecting to see a concert.

Islymore
05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Finley was one of my fav Mavs when he was here... I still root for the guy in SA... I wont be booin' the guy, I still respect him and got nothing but love for him.

But I do think that when playoffs come around - there is no time to cheer on a rival team player, even if he was a former player of your team. So - I could understand why some ppl would boo.

I hope Dirk was kidding when he said "boo him"... but of course, you just never know. Some players get competitive like that... It would be interesting to see how it would affect him, I think Finley would get riled up by it and show out. So it may not be sooo helpful of the fans to boo.

Deb
05-12-2006, 10:16 AM
You're reading the quote as he said it, but the audio of him is Dirk in a kidding manner. He's playing around with Fin. It's not as serious as you think.
I read the article, and Dirk says something to the affect that the friendships with Nash and Finley are long over. I don't read an article where Nash and Fin are saying that about Dirk, the jerk.

Spurminator
05-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Deb, it's clearly a joke.

And it's most definitely no different than Avery being "The Enemy" for Spurs fans during the series.

Islymore
05-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I cant say I agree with the whole Nash friendship is over - because every time Nash is in town he hangs out with Dirk. Cant say the same with Finley - but I dont think his friendship with Finley was as close as his friendship with Nash was.

pache100
05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I'll remeber that next time Seattle comes to the AT&T center :rolleyes. Stop being such a fucking homer, pache.

Stop being such an ass, Oh, Gee! :madrun

SenorSpur
05-12-2006, 10:27 AM
I hope Finley drains 4 or 5 threes and gets booed in the process.

I expect him to play aggressive and play well.

pache100
05-12-2006, 10:28 AM
I hope Finley drains 4 or 5 threes and gets booed in the process.

I expect him to play aggressive and play well.

:tu

Deb
05-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Deb, it's clearly a joke.

And it's most definitely no different than Avery being "The Enemy" for Spurs fans during the series.
Have you read the article? I guess the whole thing was a stand up comedy act that Dirk did last night!

Oh, Gee!!
05-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Stop being such an ass, Oh, Gee! :madrun

Never.

Islymore
05-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Well I hope he meant it jokingly, but who knows... Besides fans are gonna boo if they want to, it doesnt require anyone asking for it. I know every team has fans that boo the away team, it shouldnt be any different for the fans to do it in Dallas.

I just dont think it needed to be asked (if he was serious), I'm sure there were fans already planning to.

pache100
05-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Never.

Yeah, I know... :depressed .

island_dude
05-12-2006, 01:58 PM
I read the article, and Dirk says something to the affect that the friendships with Nash and Finley are long over. I don't read an article where Nash and Fin are saying that about Dirk, the jerk.
You clearly don't understand the context in which he meant that. I'm sure Dirk would rather the fans not cheer for an oppsing player in the playoffs even if it is Finley, but alot of it was said tongue in cheek. He's clowning with Finley in the process.

It's time to put away all this lovey dovey stuff anyway. This is the playoffs! The Spurs fans should boo the Lil' General, and the Mavs fans should boo Fin, escpecially since both guys are still on Cuban's payroll. LOL!

Deb
05-12-2006, 02:13 PM
You clearly don't understand the context in which he meant that. I'm sure Dirk would rather the fans not cheer for an oppsing player in the playoffs even if it is Finley, but alot of it was said tongue in cheek. He's clowning with Finley in the process.

It's time to put away all this lovey dovey stuff anyway. This is the playoffs! The Spurs fans should boo the Lil' General, and the Mavs fans should boo Fin, escpecially since both guys are still on Cuban's payroll. LOL!
I guess they should have let Dirk edit the article before printing so everyone would know what context it was meant to be in.

Agreed, about the drippy stuff. This is WAR. TAKE NO PRISONERS. :madrun

LEONARD
05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
LOL...

Dirk is doing a BIT people...he's a joker...ya'll don't have a freakin' clue about Dirk!!!

The last thing Dirk is is a jerk, prick, etc...

HE'S DOING A BIT!!

Deb
05-12-2006, 02:43 PM
LOL...

Dirk is doing a BIT people...he's a joker...ya'll don't have a freakin' clue about Dirk!!!

HE'S DOING A BIT!!

A bit of what? Crap talking?

Whether he is a jerk is strictly a matter of opinion.

pache100
05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
LOL...Dirk is doing a BIT people...

He's doing one on you, that's for dang sure.

he's a joker...ya'll don't have a freakin' clue about Dirk!!!

He may or may not be a joker; in any case, he's not funny. We don't want a "freakin' clue" about him.

And the first thing? All I know is what I see. And you know what? I sorta liked him until you started posting this shit. Now, I'm wanting to hate his guts.

HE'S DOING A BIT!!

Calm down or you can expect to see the men in the little white jackets shortly.

island_dude
05-12-2006, 03:56 PM
It's obvious it doesn't take alot to get you guys stirred up. If Dirk is an a-hole for saying the Mavs fans should boo Finley, then that's your opinion. I understood that when he was doing that interview he was chuckling about it.

I seriously doubt this will have any possitve or adverse effect on the outcome of this series. LOL!

Trainwreck2100
05-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I hope they do start booing Finley, maybe then Spurs fans will stop being classy and start booing AJ.

angel_luv
05-12-2006, 04:09 PM

I don't know. It is the play offs.

I booed A.J. at game two and ignored him for game one.

Finley needs to make Dallas boo loud and often. :)

LEONARD
05-12-2006, 05:05 PM
A bit of what? Crap talking?

Whether he is a jerk is strictly a matter of opinion.

A bit = a joke = schtick

He's doing one on you, that's for dang sure.

He may or may not be a joker; in any case, he's not funny. We don't want a "freakin' clue" about him.

And the first thing? All I know is what I see. And you know what? I sorta liked him until you started posting this shit. Now, I'm wanting to hate his guts.

Calm down or you can expect to see the men in the little white jackets shortly.

I just love watching the people here over-react to things based on what they read...

Like AJ mentioning the "bearhug defense"...people here made it out like he was whining and crying about the officiating...

samikeyp
05-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Finley is the enemy now. Booing is acceptable. I don't see the problem with booing the opposition...I would rather have that than profanities and flying beer.

I just love watching the people here over-react to things based on what they read...

nice generalization...too bad its a lie.

LEONARD
05-12-2006, 05:26 PM
nice generalization...too bad its a lie.

This place flipped out and completely turned on AJ over the bearhug statement in which he just said he needed to work with Dirk on ways to beat Bowen's style of defense...

samikeyp
05-12-2006, 05:30 PM
some did...but not everyone...but yes there were quite a few who over-reacted.

Deb
05-12-2006, 05:44 PM
This place flipped out and completely turned on AJ over the bearhug statement in which he just said he needed to work with Dirk on ways to beat Bowen's style of defense...
Actually, we found the whole damn bear hug thing hilarious. It was just such a weak comment. And the photoshop from it was great! :lol :spin

samikeyp
05-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I thought it was pretty funny.......but some folks thought Avery was whining. I didn't but that was just me.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM

yeah, because here's another.

"Asked about bracing for adjustments, star Dirk Nowitzki said, ``We'll let them worry about it.''"

http://www.comcast.net/sports/nba/index.jsp?cat=BASKETBALL&fn=/2006/05/12/390580.html

1Parker1
05-12-2006, 05:49 PM
SIDENOTE: Tommorow's game is now on ABC???? I thought it was on ESPN.

milkyway21
05-12-2006, 07:48 PM
It's obvious it doesn't take alot to get you guys stirred up. If Dirk is an a-hole for saying the Mavs fans should boo Finley, then that's your opinion. I understood that when he was doing that interview he was chuckling about it.

I seriously doubt this will have any possitve or adverse effect on the outcome of this series. LOL!i guess Dirk was also chuckling when he said "Nash wearing that ugly(Suns), uniform" too? :lol

Islymore
05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Now come on... the Suns uni is not too sexy!!! lol... that orange makes me cringe!! When did Dirk say that about Nash??

If a player left the Spurs and went to the Mavs, would the Spur fans not boo him too? Just wondering. Would it be taken out of context if Parker/Ginobli/Duncan even said that in an interview?

But maybe they wouldnt say it in an interview, they would think it and leave it at that.