PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Ginobili looks to regain energy, be 'more useful'

Kori Ellis
05-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Spurs' Ginobili looks to regain energy, be 'more useful'

Web Posted: 05/12/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051206.1D.BKNspurs.ginobili.21c706a6.html

The Spurs practiced long and hard Thursday, and Manu Ginobili was still standing, always cause for celebration around the team's offices.

After he had showered and dressed, Ginobili walked over to the assembled media wearing a black T-shirt with "FORCE" printed across the front in block letters. The Nike-produced slogan served not only as a reminder of Ginobili's role in last season's playoffs but also what the Spurs hope he can become again.

So far, Ginobili's postseason has looked a lot like the rest of his season. A half-dozen bruises. A couple of games where he looked to be playing in quicksand. The occasional electrifying performance.

"I'm not carrying that energy or confidence I had last year," said Ginobili, whose Spurs play the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday in Game3 of the Western Conference semifinals. "But I can't be thinking about that the whole season. I'm just not playing that well, and I'm trying to get out of it."

Ginobili improved his scoring from the regular season to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons. He averaged 20.8 points in last season's championship run and finished one vote shy of sharing the NBA Finals MVP award with Tim Duncan.

This spring has yet to bring the same success. In the eight playoff games, Ginobili is averaging 14.8 points, a slight drop from his regular-season average. He's made only 5 of 25 3-point attempts, which, with teams denying him the lane, has made it that much more difficult for him to settle into a rhythm.

Ginobili had 32 points and nine assists, both season highs, in the second game of the Spurs' first-round series against Sacramento when Ron Artest was suspended. He also scored 27 points and took nine rebounds in the Game5 victory. But in two games against Dallas, he's averaged 14 points and 3.5 rebounds while making 9 of 25 shots.

"I'm not that concerned about scoring points," Ginobili said, "but just overall being more useful."

With Tony Parker assuming a larger role, the Spurs aren't as reliant on Ginobili's scoring as they were a year ago. But they still feed off his energy and aggressiveness, which has fluctuated depending on his health.

Artest, the league's most physical perimeter defender, did his best to make Ginobili uncomfortable for much of the first-round series. Ginobili also beat himself up after his turnover at the end of Game3 led to a loss.

Though Ginobili won't use injury or fatigue as an excuse, the short turnaround between series didn't help, either. His deflection of Dirk Nowitzki's pass on Sunday's final possession secured the Spurs' victory, but Ginobili also had just missed three shots because his legs were too heavy to allow him to finish at the rim.

In Tuesday's loss, Ginobili and Parker struggled to score over the Mavericks' big men. DeSagana Diop dumped Ginobili hard on his tailbone early in the second half. Devin Harris later elbowed him in the face, causing one of Ginobili's teeth to puncture a hole below his lip.

The Spurs hope the three-day break is enough time for Ginobili to "fill his cup," as coach Gregg Popovich is fond of saying, before the series resumes in Dallas. Ginobili and Parker both said they benefited from having Wednesday off, and Popovich joked his two guards looked "fantastic" during Thursday's workout.

"There's a gleam in their eye and a rosebud in their cheeks," Popovich deadpanned. "I mean, it was a joy to just look at them."

In truth, Popovich often has winced watching Ginobili try to peel himself off the court after his countless collisions. Ginobili missed a career-high 17 games because of three injuries to his right foot and contusions to his left calf and quadriceps.

"I think Manu has been in that betwixt and between mode where he's just starting to better from bumps and bruises here and there, and then he'll get another one that he's got to come back from," Popovich said. "He's not that strong a kid; not that big, bulk-wise. When he gets an injury, it takes a while for him to get back from it."

The Spurs will need Ginobili and Parker healthy if they hope to better counter the Mavericks' athleticism. Neither has been able to use his speed as much as he would like — in the open floor or halfcourt — and the Mavericks remain focused on keeping them away from the rim.

"You know those guys aren't going to struggle forever," Dallas coach Avery Johnson said. "It's a big priority to try to slow them down and match their quickness."

Parker hopes to get Ginobili better involved, either by running more or employing more motion. Even when Parker has been able to penetrate, Dallas' defenders have stayed close to Ginobili and the rest of the Spurs' shooters.

Ginobili is optimistic he and his teammates will play better this weekend. He insists he doesn't feel any worse than he did a year ago. He'll also be coming off the team's longest layoff since the All-Star break.

"I've been very irregular this season," Ginobili said. "But we still have a chance, a good chance. I just want to improve, help the team and try to get a win there."

Kori Ellis
05-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Looks like Manu is just in a funk from being banged up all the time and can't get in rhythm.

Hopefully Parker is right and they run some more motion and get him freed up and going early.

Pistons < Spurs
05-12-2006, 01:25 AM
"I've been very irregular this season," Ginobili said.

He needs more fiber. Someone get him some Metamucil.

J.T.
05-12-2006, 01:31 AM
They sound ready to bounce back in Game 3. Hopefully Manu gets out of this funk he's in. Good stuff otherwise.

Kori Ellis
05-12-2006, 01:33 AM
They sound ready to bounce back in Game 3. Hopefully Manu gets out of this funk he's in. Good stuff otherwise.

Yeah in the other article I posted (Notebook) Tony says he thinks he'll be close to 100% -- that's very good.

Condemned 2 HelLA
05-12-2006, 01:34 AM
It's GOT to be completely frustrating for him to not be able to contribute at the level he's accustomed to in years past.
He's bound to break out of it and have a monster game. Hopefully this stretch of consecutive days off will be just what he needed, and he'll be ready to carve up the Mavs like an ice sculptor with a chainsaw.

Deb
05-12-2006, 09:21 AM
It's GOT to be completely frustrating for him to not be able to contribute at the level he's accustomed to in years past.
He's bound to break out of it and have a monster game. Hopefully this stretch of consecutive days off will be just what he needed, and he'll be ready to carve up the Mavs like an ice sculptor with a chainsaw.
I think we all know that Manu is ready to bust it wide open and have a monster game. Hope its Saturday night.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
employing more motion.

Where's Tpark? Time for him to start hating on Parker for calling for more motion in our offense. :lol

ducks
05-12-2006, 09:53 AM
aj is trying to take manu away
he was also injured smart move on aj's part

tp haters also could like the quote they are trying to get manu involved more

Rick Von Braun
05-12-2006, 09:54 AM
He needs more fiber. Someone get him some Metamucil.

:lol

cheguevara
05-12-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't understand. I remember going into the offseason last year, Manu said he was gonna rest and try to gain some weight. Next thing, when season starts, he's actually LOST weight.

I blame this on his wife. She needs to feed this poor SOB

ducks
05-12-2006, 09:57 AM
he could also take steriods like bonds
LOL

WalterBenitez
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
POP needs to do sth, TD isplaying great this series, so our offense should go thru him ... try to stablish his offense later go with TP, the kid just took his nigth off ... Manu, Manu is getting old too fast, he need to change his game to survive; he's not a surprise anymore.

ShoogarBear
05-12-2006, 10:06 AM
F'ing ball-hogging inconsiderate asshole Parker.

Oh, Gee!!
05-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I bet my "Trade Manu" thread scared him into shape.

ObiwanGinobili
05-12-2006, 10:20 AM
MY voodoo Manu doll is o nthe treadmill right now. after that I'm putting him thru some moves on my voodoo doll sized spurs court mockup.

Islymore
05-12-2006, 10:24 AM
I hope Manu has a better game Saturday. I was disappointed in his play so far in this series bc I know he's better than what he has been showing. I think his injuries are playing a bigger role in his play than he would like, but I hope the 3 days off gave him and Tony time to get some better strength and get better. I would like to see two healthy teams competing and I would be disappointed if either team lost due to injuries occuring or reoccuring.

austinfan
05-12-2006, 10:30 AM
The Spurs front office needs to hire a top physical therapist just for Ginobili to make sure he stays in the best shape possible--just like they how got Chip Engelland so that he could help Tony with his shot. To include weights, diet, alternative therapies, endurance training, the works.

I think part of Manu's problem--besides the injuries, which are very real--is that he seems like a perfectionist, and like most perfectionists, is probably too hard on himself whenever he has a subpar game.

This season was all about other teams adjusting to Manu after the breakout year he had last year. But, as he's shown throughout his career, he has a very quick learning curve, and I expect him to adjust accordingly for next season. I'm glad Pop has decided to run more plays through him.

Spurologist
05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
"I'm not carrying that energy or confidence I had last year," said Ginobili

This has been his M.O for most the playoffs. When his shots didn't fall, he kept shooting long jumpers and had no energy for steals, rebounds etc.. He needs to start dunking on people. "More useful" should be to changed "dominant" It's not like the mavs have any defensive stopper out there.

Drive the lane and if Diop/Damp comes over, throw one down in their face or dish it to TD for a dunk. I don't TD has received any easy passes in the paint for a layup. He has had to work for almost every basket down low. TP needs to do this more too.

Does anyone realize that when TD has had a good game the past month or so, we have lost almost all those games. When TP/Manu are playing well, we are all the games and have a great chance of winning. The point is all of the big three needs to play well at the same time period.

Game 3: Manu 30 pts. TP 22 pts TD 24 pts

1Parker1
05-12-2006, 10:42 AM
F'ing ball-hogging inconsiderate asshole Parker.

:lol I'd love to see Manu and Tony running the floor more, with a give and go offense/play. We haven't seen much of that this season. Parker and Manu are our counter-threats to the Mavs athleticism. So, if they get it going, that makes the Mavs have to work even harder at the other end.

ploto
05-12-2006, 11:03 AM
The Spurs front office needs to hire a top physical therapist just for Ginobili to make sure he stays in the best shape possible--just like they how got Chip Engelland so that he could help Tony with his shot. To include weights, diet, alternative therapies, endurance training, the works.

The Spurs have a great strength and conditioning coach- have consulted top athletic nutritionists- even Tim wears those body patches.

Hopefully Parker is right and they run some more motion and get him freed up and going early.
If they really are going to run more motion, I hope it's with more Rasho than we saw in game 2.

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Manu should take weight gainer and lift a lot of weights in the offseason.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't understand. I remember going into the offseason last year, Manu said he was gonna rest and try to gain some weight. Next thing, when season starts, he's actually LOST weight.

I blame this on his wife. She needs to feed this poor SOB

He needs to take a couple of protein shakes during the day in addition to what he's already eating. He's way too skinny.

angel_luv
05-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Ginobili is optimistic he and his teammates will play better this weekend.
"I've been very irregular this season," Ginobili said. "But we still have a chance, a good chance. I just want to improve, help the team and try to get a win there."

I believe, Gino! For two wins there, even :D

WalterBenitez
05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
The Spurs front office needs to hire a top physical therapist just for Ginobili to make sure he stays in the best shape possible

Ask Bruce's wife what she add on their food :rolleyes

WalterBenitez
05-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Manu should take weight gainer and lift a lot of weights in the offseason.

Nah ... he'll be playin for ARG and Manu's wife was asking for a baby :oops
(you know those cheap stupid magazines we have here in ARG reported that)

angel_luv
05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Ahhh! A baby Manu! That'll be awesome when it happens. :)

Sportman
05-12-2006, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhMrtfuEHI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmundotonycba%2Ewebcindario%2Ecom %2F

cherylsteele
05-12-2006, 06:49 PM
He needs to take a couple of protein shakes during the day in addition to what he's already eating. He's way too skinny.
I remember Iceman being skinny too.....Manu's size is not the problem so to speak. The reason he seems to always be banged up is the way he plays....his size does compound his knack for getting bruises.

I am not saying a little bulk isn't a good thing though.
To be honest, Timmy needs to bulk up a little...at least it couldn't hurt.

WalterBenitez
05-12-2006, 07:30 PM
THE REAL REASON why Manu is playing poorly is his hair style, THAT'S IT

Spurologist
05-12-2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhMrtfuEHI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmundotonycba%2Ewebcindario%2Ecom %2F

ole ole ole ole ole

orhe
05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
THE REAL REASON why Manu is playing poorly is his hair style, THAT'S IT

no shit i think its about time we give manu some fast hair growth product... he's like samson he needs his hair long to be dominant

TDfan2007
05-12-2006, 11:19 PM
We've already gotten the old Timmy back. Now we need the old Manu.

T Park
05-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Where's Tpark? Time for him to start hating on Parker for calling for more motion in our offense

But yet Bowen says they need to run more 4 down.

So is Bowen a moron too?

TMTTRIO
05-13-2006, 01:08 AM
awesome. It was neat to see Manu's childhood pictures and his other personal pics. I have faith that he'll come around.