PDA

View Full Version : Ellis: Spurs Get A Day Off

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Spurs Get A Day Off

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

The San Antonio Spurs will get a day off from training camp on Saturday. Then on Sunday afternoon, the team will have an open scrimmage at the SBC Center. They completed their fourth day of training camp on Friday -- having just one midday practice.

Sunday's scrimmage is open to the public, parking is free, and the doors open at 1:30pm. Seating will be first come, first serve. The Coyote and Silver Dancers will greet fans as they enter the building. The Spurs will continue training camp all through next week with their first preseason game coming against the Knicks in New York on October 16.

Rookie point guard Beno Udrih went through full practice including contact drills for the second day in a row Friday, as he continues to nurse a bruised knee.

Tony Parker's agent and the Spurs continue working toward a contract extension. Though head coach Gregg Popovich indicated the contract would get settled this week or they would wait until next summer, Parker thinks the negotiations may go on until the deadline (October 31).

"I don't want to try to get involved too much," said Parker. "I want to get focused in on training camp, get to know the new guys, the plays, all that."

Parker and Udrih, both 22-years-old, played against each other through the ranks in Europe from the time they were 15-years-old.

"I know what he can do and think he'll be a great addition to our team," said Parker. " He's very smart. He knows how to play basketball and he's a very good shooter."

Audio attached. (http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=ABAEDA1E-D8F3-4057-A7AF-78202E8FC1B8)

Video will be added later.

Marcus Bryant
10-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Parker and Udrih, both 22-years-old, played against each other through the ranks in Europe from the time they were 15-years-old.

"I know what he can do and think he'll be a great addition to our team," said Parker. " He's very smart. He knows how to play basketball and he's a very good shooter."

"I've been knowing Beno Udrih since Derrick Dial told me" ?

timvp
10-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Rookie point guard Beno Udrih went through full practice including contact drills for the second day in a row Friday, as he continues to nurse a bruised knee.

That's a good sign. If he can stay healthy, the Spurs should be in awesome shape.

However, the last couple years Marcus Camby looks like AC Green compared to Beno.

SequSpur
10-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Pop is stupid. He better get this done. His record of obtaining point guards since the lucky ass draft of Tony Parker has been terrible. He better STFU and get it done.

Solid D
10-08-2004, 05:26 PM
:rollin Too funny, Sequ.

"I've been knowing Beno Udrih since Derrick Dial told me" ?
:rollin :rollin Boy, that goes back a ways, bringin' out the old trunk from the attick on that one Marque Bryant. (Marque, in honor of the Spurs new 4th PG).

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Video of the whole Parker interview.

http://video.woai.com/launcher/45724,565/

He talks about the camp, the extension and Beno.

ducks
10-08-2004, 05:32 PM
they need to work with netscape or firefox!

works with exployer though which is got holes :(

E20
10-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Damn Kori have you met everybody on the team?

picnroll
10-08-2004, 05:46 PM
In that video who does Parker compare Udrih's style to? I couldn't catch it.

timvp
10-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Dejan Bodiroga.

http://www.sportskacentrala.co.yu/sidnej2000/kosarka/yu-aus02-bodiroga.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1031115998076_2002/09/09/spt_basketball020910,0.jpg

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Damn Kori have you met everybody on the team?

Yes. I cover the Spurs for SpursZONE.com, so fortunately I've met them all.

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 05:56 PM
There's also a video of the interview with Beno from today. I didn't put it up online, but I'm sure you'll see it on the news. He's still sporting his man purse. :)

Nikos
10-08-2004, 06:06 PM
What about Dejan timvp?

He is a pretty good player, I woulda taken him anyday as a Spur a few years back.

Or were you just making a comparison with Beno (regarding the man purse style? ) :lol

Kori Ellis
10-08-2004, 06:09 PM
No Nikos -- in the video of Parker, he compares Beno to Bodiroga.

timvp
10-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Nikos, read picnroll's post.

T Park
10-08-2004, 06:26 PM
from what I saw in the RMR if this guy stays healthy and continues developing.

Sequ will be on his jock faster than you can say

Stephen Jackson should just be a soda seller in the stands at SBC.

Beno, LJ3, Devin Brown.

The young bench looks promising.

1Parker1
10-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Kori, i am very jealous of you. I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I say that you have our dream job !! Keep up the good work :)

P.S And if you happen to have Tony Parker's home #...I'll pay you for it :) LOL

Nikos
10-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Nikos, read picnroll's post.

My bad, I just saw the TP video today comparing Beno's herky jerky style to Bodiroga.

The audio didn't quite get to that part of the TP interview.

Out of curiosity timvp, did you say Beno kind of reminds you of a younger Sam Cassell with less range? Is it his herky jerky style or more a function of his mid-range game and overall confidence?

timvp
10-09-2004, 03:07 PM
It's more his body style and that he prefers the mid-range game. He also doesn't have the blazing speed but has size and is crafty with the ball, much like Cassell.

But that comparision isn't fair at the moment. Cassell is a proven playoff warrior while Beno hasn't proven he can stay healthy for more than a couple weeks.

Nikos
10-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Oh I know Udrih can't expected to be like Cassell in terms of clutch and playoff ability etc....

But Cassell since entering the league was known as a crafty, herky jerky type of guy who plays the game with a confident demeanor and isn't afriad to take and make a big shot. He wasn't even a particularly good 3pt shooter either at the beggining of his career, more of a midrange guy who had a lot of crafty spin and fake moves to get off tough shots etc....

Does that kind of fit Beno's decription? Obviously we don't know if he can be clutch against the NBA elite or anything -- but in terms of style?

timvp
10-09-2004, 03:22 PM
It's tough to say whether he has a confident demeanor. He isn't hesitant about anything, though.