PDA

View Full Version : Manu from the Bench...and Rasho starting?

zeleni
05-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Perhaps I shouldn't even try to make a big deal out od this...

Manu is not playing great starting and had troubles with that concept for a big part of his NBA career. He should be benched and making a way to beat the opponent from the bench. That would mean we could put Finley or Barry in the starting lineup, all hungry for big plays.

Rasho on the other hand is the missing piece to make Tim Duncan the more presentful inside threat. Yes, I am a homer, but that just make sense to me. Rasho is good shot-blocker, decent rebounder and great defender inside. He would make more shots contested and should be smart enough to understand all of the defensive schemes Pop should change during the game. Horry needs to be more of an offensive thread in the 4th.

Nazr is not the right starting pawn. Manu needs less pressure.

What do you say?

IceColdBrewski
05-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Next time, just say no to crack.

SA210
05-12-2006, 08:31 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/gwjustsayno.jpg

jn77
05-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Bring Manu off the bench. It worked last year. I would start Finley instead of Barry though. Finley played well this year as a starter. Pop needs to do something to shake things up.

pache100
05-12-2006, 09:19 AM
another pop experiment destined to fail miserably.
after all, pop needs more sleep too. he needs to clear his mind.
this is turning out to be another student-teacher clash wherein the student comes out on top.

Pop did it to LB last year. AJ will do the same to Pop

This is not a "Pop experiment". At least not yet. Right now, it's just a "Zeleni idea".

George W Bush
05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/livindeadboi/gwjustsayno.jpg

Reminds me of my college days.

DarrinS
05-12-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't think it's such a bad idea, especially considering that Avery has decided he wants his team to attack the rim.

Sometimes its good to start Brent Barry, because, if he doesn't get going early in a game, he usually doesn't get going. Last year, having Manu come off the bench was a huge spark.

I don't think the ideas in the original post are crazy. What's up with all the crazy responses?

Texas_Ranger
05-12-2006, 09:35 AM
No thanks

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Manu is not playing great starting and had troubles with that concept for a big part of his NBA career.

I'm not a big fan of the concept, frankly. But I'm stunned by the above statement.

Manu hasn't really struggled with the concept of starting for any part of his NBA career. Since the start of the 03-04 season, when he's gone to the bench, it's been because the Spurs need more punch off the bench or because some mentally soft player couldn't hack it as a reserve; Manu has struggled of late to be sure, but it's not because he's a starter.

Spurologist
05-12-2006, 10:45 AM
http://mahopa.de/bilder/funny-forum-pictures/why-did-i-click.jpg

zeleni
05-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm not a big fan of the concept, frankly. But I'm stunned by the above statement.

Manu hasn't really struggled with the concept of starting for any part of his NBA career. Since the start of the 03-04 season, when he's gone to the bench, it's been because the Spurs need more punch off the bench or because some mentally soft player couldn't hack it as a reserve; Manu has struggled of late to be sure, but it's not because he's a starter.

I blame it on my English.
Wanted to say Manu's briliant games come in greater amounts from the bench.

abelle23
05-12-2006, 12:13 PM
i dont think so...

NCaliSpurs
05-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Seemed like coming off the bench last year is what got Manu fired up to come in and contribute. Sort of got him rolling, especially with his outside touch.

Anyone remember how he would come in the game and nail back-to-back 3's?

That aggressiveness stayed with him when he went back to starting. Maybe putting him on the bench will work to get him going again?

I just want to see my Manu back. :(

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I would bring Manu off the bench.

He doesn't get going early anyway, so he could give the Spurs a kick when he comes in. In order for Manu to be effective, he's gotta get going early. He doesn't start being aggressive until the 4th quarter.

angel_luv
05-12-2006, 03:37 PM
My only concern with Gino coming off the bench is that such a transition might be ill timed since he is working to get back into rhythm.

As for Rob starting, we are 1-1 against Dallas. The first game was super close and the second we were blown out.

The above just an observation. I am not at all convinced either score spread had anything to do with Rob's role in the line up.
That said, I like Rob coming off the bench because I see him as a spark- one of the team's not so secret weapons.

Rasho is better on defensive than Nazr, which is why I would chose Sho to start.

I like Sho in the game at the beginning because I think as a rule, he improves our chances of not getting run over hard and early by most opponents.

The bottom line for me with starting everyone not named Timmy and Bruce :) is about health and match ups.

beirmeistr
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Manu has stated many times in past interviews that he needs to be in rhythm. Benching him would not help his rhythm at all. He is not the Spur that is injured right now. If anything, he needs more touches, especially at the critical first quarter of a game.

Que Gee
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
You don't know how right this thread might be... : ) hint...

Kori Ellis
05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
hint...

Interesting.

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Manu has stated many times in past interviews that he needs to be in rhythm. Benching him would not help his rhythm at all. He is not the Spur that is injured right now. If anything, he needs more touches, especially at the critical first quarter of a game.
:tu

That's what the Spurs have to do.

Go to Manu early. That doesn't mean force shots, but look for him early, if he's hot keep giving him the ball.

It has been good for Tim to get started up early, he's averaging like 30 ppg vs. Mavs, both games he was dominating from the get go.

For Tony it really isn't a concern, that guy usually can turn it up whenever he wants. He always does a nice job of getting started early, then Tim gradually kicks in, and eventually Manu in the 4th...is usually a Spurs traditional game.

angel_luv
05-12-2006, 04:18 PM

Hey, whatever works! :)

beirmeistr
05-12-2006, 04:25 PM
If Manu were to be benched, it would be incontrovertible proof that the Little General has paid a visit to the mother of all voodoo queens in New Orleans, and has gotten his wish granted.

A-Train
05-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I will be surprised if the Spurs don't start Rasho or Nazr tomorrow. As for Manu off the bench, that might not be as bad as some think at this point.

strangeweather
05-12-2006, 05:08 PM

I'm not surprised -- it's time to make some adjustments that aren't just reactive.

ploto
05-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Does that mean Brent is going to start? :)

Dre_7
05-12-2006, 07:56 PM
If Dallas goes with Terry, Harris, Howard, Dirk, and Diop as their starters, I think SA should start Duncan, Bowen, Finley, Manu, Tony.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2006, 12:01 PM
If Dallas goes with Terry, Harris, Howard, Dirk, and Diop as their starters, I think SA should start Duncan, Bowen, Finley, Manu, Tony.

That Spurs lineup gets killed on the glass.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2006, 12:03 PM
tell that to ppppoppp

I don't mind that lineup in short stretches. But I would never start it.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:07 PM
If the Mavs went with that lineup, TP/Manu/Bowen/TD/Nazr makes plenty of sense.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2006, 12:09 PM
If the Mavs went with that lineup, TP/Manu/Bowen/TD/Nazr makes plenty of sense.

Well that was the Mavs starting lineup the last game.

I would think the Spurs would go with Rasho before Nazr because Nazr can't defend anything.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Well that was the Mavs starting lineup the last game.

I would think the Spurs would go with Rasho before Nazr because Nazr can't defend anything.

Spurs need to go with an actual center alongside TD. Nazr can understand the concept of defending the paint, rebounding and setting picks. He's preferable to Finley or Barry at the other big spot, that much is certain.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Spurs need to go with an actual center alongside TD. Nazr can understand the concept of defending the paint, rebounding and setting picks. He's preferable to Finley or Barry at the other big spot, that much is certain.

Well they don't start Finley or Barry. They have been starting Horry next to TD. I prefer an actual center too. But I just don't know if I prefer Nazr over Rasho.

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Who guards whom with Corso's proposed lineup? Bowen on Dirk? Manu on Howard? Then Harris runs the pick and roll and runs past Parker again.

There are matchup issues for the Spurs and, in most cases, the Mavs have the upper hand.

Brutalis
05-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Why not start Finley, Bowen and have Manu come off the bench?

Kori Ellis
05-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Manu guarded Harris last game but I think now that Tony is more healthy, he has to guard him.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Why not start Finley, Bowen and have Manu come off the bench?

That's what a lot of this thread is about.

Brutalis
05-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah I know but it was more like a "Why the hell not" in agreement type thing.

Kori Ellis
05-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah I know but it was more like a "Why the hell not" in agreement type thing.

I guess a lot of people think since Manu is in a funk already, he might get in more of a funk if he comes off the bench.

Brutalis
05-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah but that's exactly what fixed his funk last year wasn't it? He wasn't doing so hot starting so he came off the bench and sploded all over the Sonics.

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Though many would think that Fin would go off on his former team, I think you'll see that including him in the starting lineup would prove to be a liability.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Who guards whom with Corso's proposed lineup? Bowen on Dirk? Manu on Howard? Then Harris runs the pick and roll and runs past Parker again.

Bowen on Howard, Duncan on Dirk. Emphasis on keeping the Mavs out of the paint. Harris runs the pick and roll and either Mohammed or Nesterovic will be there. The Spurs have run that defense for years and have 3 titles to show for it.

There are matchup issues for the Spurs and, in most cases, the Mavs have the upper hand.

Not really. The lineup likely to provide favorable matchups for the Mavs is TD and 4 guards.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:30 PM
And, of course, the flip side is that Mavs lineup would have their defensive issues against the Spurs going with their normal lineup. Who does Duncan foul out first?

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I really hope we see Duncan on Dirk. Spurs have to go big and stay big. They'll get burned if they run smallball again.

What about the benches? Who comes in when Duncan and Parker sit? Mavs can keep the 2 guards in or have a combination with Daniels and Stack covering the 2. The way I see it (and not just being a homer), the Mavs have the better matchup solutions between the 2 teams.

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:33 PM
And, of course, the flip side is that Mavs lineup would have their defensive issues against the Spurs going with their normal lineup. Who does Duncan foul out first?

That's easy. Diop is the starter.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I really hope we see Duncan on Dirk. Spurs have to go big and stay big. They'll get burned if they run smallball again.

Ok, you seem to be getting it.

What about the benches? Who comes in when Duncan and Parker sit? Mavs can keep the 2 guards in or have a combination with Daniels and Stack covering the 2. The way I see it (and not just being a homer), the Mavs have the better matchup solutions between the 2 teams.

Horry at the 4, Mohammed or Nesterovic at the 5. Spurs go with a center for most, if not all of the entire game. Focus on defending the paint and keeping the supporting cast in check. The Spurs lost Game 2 due to penetration against a small lineup that could not protect the basket. Two bigs on the court rectifies that.

As for the bench, you have Horry back to coming off the bench along with Barry, NVE or Udrih, Finley and the center that doesn't start.

If the Spurs play big for the entire game, it doesn't matter how many guards Dallas can bring off the bench.

And yes, you are being a homer.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:39 PM
That's easy. Diop is the starter.

Good. Spurs have the matchups at the 4 and 5 if they go big.

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:39 PM
But how much confidence does Pop have in his centers? They haven't seemed to be in good favor in the first 2 games.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:40 PM
But how much confidence does Pop have in his centers? They haven't seemed to be in good favor in the first 2 games.

Perhaps more than you think. Pop is stubborn sometimes. Keeping the lineup that closed out the series with the Kings made sense considering the short turnaround. The obvious call now is to play the centers.

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:44 PM
So, let's say that Rasho and Nazr don't perform to Pop's liking early in the game and get pulled. Are we already back to Game 2 status? And would this put too much of a burden on Duncan's shoulders?

I really think we'll see matchups and assignments that we haven't thought of yet. Some of the things that have been proposed by the fans and the media seem too obvious for these two coaches.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:46 PM
So, let's say that Rasho and Nazr don't perform to Pop's liking early in the game and get pulled. Are we already back to Game 2 status? And would this put too much of a burden on Duncan's shoulders?

So now we're counting on both getting pulled early?

I really think we'll see matchups and assignments that we haven't thought of yet. Some of the things that have been proposed by the fans and the media seem too obvious for these two coaches.

Sometimes, the obvious is the best.

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:48 PM
So what has been the consensus obvious starting lineup?

And not saying that both would get pulled. I just think it's hard to get into the rhythm of the game if you haven't been playing much this series.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 12:49 PM
"Consensus"? Start a center next to TD.

Shank
05-13-2006, 12:54 PM
So you're saying = Parker, Bowen, Ginobili?, Duncan and Nazr/Rasho?

Matching up against (if Mavs keep starting lineup from last game) Terry, Harris, Howard, Dirk and Diop. I think, even with that matchup, that one of the Mavs first 4 gets the chance to get his early.

It's going to be interesting to see the rotations in the first half, to say the least. Almost feels like the 2nd half could be a whole new game with the adjustments both of these coaches can make to counter the other.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 01:01 PM
So you're saying = Parker, Bowen, Ginobili?, Duncan and Nazr/Rasho?

Matching up against (if Mavs keep starting lineup from last game) Terry, Harris, Howard, Dirk and Diop. I think, even with that matchup, that one of the Mavs first 4 gets the chance to get his early.

Howard's out since Bowen's on him. Out of the backcourt, they won't be able to count on the penetration opportunities they saw in Game 2.

It's going to be interesting to see the rotations in the first half, to say the least. Almost feels like the 2nd half could be a whole new game with the adjustments both of these coaches can make to counter the other.

That's likely. I suspect the Mavs will try lifting their centers to draw out the Spurs' center from the rim.

Shank
05-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Though we haven't seen much of it this year, Dirk can play the 5 if the Mavs want to go really small. Terry, Harris, Howard, Stack and Dirk would be a small, quick lineup if it was deemed necessary to really mix things up. Actually, that would scare the shit out of me.

A-Train
05-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Though we haven't seen much of it this year, Dirk can play the 5 if the Mavs want to go really small. Terry, Harris, Howard, Stack and Dirk would be a small, quick lineup if it was deemed necessary to really mix things up. Actually, that would scare the shit out of me.

It should. That lineup would be awful defensively.

Shank
05-13-2006, 01:39 PM
It should. That lineup would be awful defensively.

Sadly, it's pretty much how the Mavs would roll when Bradley was still on the roster. He likes playing the 5 about as much as Amare does.

ploto
05-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Does that mean Brent is going to start? :)
;)