PDA

View Full Version : Plays off penetration

ShoogarBear
05-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Can somebody explain why, when TP gets into the lane, the Spurs almost never send secondary cutters in his wake. It seems when Parker comes down the lane he has one of two options: take it to the rack, or kick out to the perimeter. Occasionally he has a shot to get it back to whoever's setting the pick.

Since he always has at least one or two collapsing on him, that seems like the perfect opportunity to send a cutter in behind . Yeah, it may screw with the spacing somewhat, but Steve Nash makes a living doing this.

I'm the first to admit Parker gets tunnel vision and isn't in the same league as Nash or Kidd in passing, but it seems like the Spurs sometimes don't make maximum use of the havoc he wreaks in the lane.

DarrinS
05-12-2006, 10:55 AM
He also has a third option -- that floater shot.

Speaking of floater, I think I drank too much coffee. :coffee

Spurologist
05-12-2006, 11:09 AM
That's a good point. It always happens. When he gets in the paint three things happen:

1. floater
2. kicks it out to the perimeter where good time off of the clock was just wasted.
3. stops, looks, waits = 3 sec violation/travel

#3 is what gets most people angry at him. Pop needs to open up his play book and start drawing plays using back-cuts. This could get manu/FIN/brent going because tp is always going to draw multiple big men in the there.

DarrinS
05-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Also, the bigs need to get better position when TP gets all the way to the rack. I noticed in the last game, that TP would get there, only to be surrounded by a bunch of blue jerseys.

If TP keeps his eyes open and his head straight, he'd probably notice a wide open 3pt shooter in the corner, abiet this is a more difficult pass to make.

travis2
05-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Because while TP may not be the jealous type, that doesn't mean he doesn't care about people following behind his penetrations...

Oh wait...we're talking basketball...my bad...:oops

DarrinS
05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Because while TP may not be the jealous type, that doesn't mean he doesn't care about people following behind his penetrations...

:lol :lmao

travis2
05-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Can somebody explain why, when TP gets into the lane, the Spurs almost never send secondary cutters in his wake. It seems when Parker comes down the lane he has one of two options: take it to the rack, or kick out to the perimeter. Occasionally he has a shot to get it back to whoever's setting the pick.

Since he always has at least one or two collapsing on him, that seems like the perfect opportunity to send a cutter in behind . Yeah, it may screw with the spacing somewhat, but Steve Nash makes a living doing this.

I'm the first to admit Parker gets tunnel vision and isn't in the same league as Nash or Kidd in passing, but it seems like the Spurs sometimes don't make maximum use of the havoc he wreaks in the lane.

Wouldn't this put a kink in setting up the transition defense?

Spurologist
05-12-2006, 12:10 PM

the whole team doesn't cut to the basket

travis2
05-12-2006, 12:13 PM
the whole team doesn't cut to the basket

No, it doesn't...but the cutter would more than likely be one of the speedier players...who would normally be headed back on defense at that time...

ploto
05-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Also, the bigs need to get better position when TP gets all the way to the rack. I noticed in the last game, that TP would get there, only to be surrounded by a bunch of blue jerseys.

(cough) play Rasho (cough)

For all his faults, Rasho does this better than any of the bigs.

ShoogarBear
05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
That's an interesting thought. Maybe the Spurs end up standing around on the perimeter a lot because Pop thinks that's better for transition D? I guess that's theoretically true, but how much could it really hurt to send Manu or Finley or one of the better finishers in on occasion?

It would also help the Spurs less reliant on living by the 3, IMO.

mcornelio
05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
im i the only one who thought this thread was Tips on sex?

ShoogarBear
05-12-2006, 12:28 PM
It is if you have the decoder ring.

mcornelio
05-12-2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.radioarchives.org/annie/ring.gif

travis2
05-12-2006, 12:40 PM

no...

beirmeistr
05-12-2006, 04:04 PM

I'm still laughing. That is hilarious.

Kori Ellis
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM

Well Parker was saying that he wanted the Spurs to run a little more motion. So part of that motion will probably be having some cutters on the move. I hope so. Because the Mavs are staying pretty tight on the Spurs perimeter players and the offense is pretty stagnant lately.

timvp
05-12-2006, 09:03 PM
The Spurs just don't have the personnel to run cutters in behind Parker. Parker is the best finisher on the team. Whoever he dumps it off to would have a tough time scoring since the Spurs don't have any powerful finishers around the rim like Kidd and Nash always have around them.

The best option would be Manu but you'd then have horrible spacing with your three best players right around each other. Plus, Manu operates best in open space ... not in a crowd like that'd be.

If the Spurs would ever invest at an athlete at the 3/4 position, I think you'd see more Nash/Kidd type plays in the offense.

picnroll
05-12-2006, 09:13 PM
The Spurs just don't have the personnel to run cutters in behind Parker. Parker is the best finisher on the team. Whoever he dumps it off to would have a tough time scoring since the Spurs don't have any powerful finishers around the rim like Kidd and Nash always have around them.

What I ws thinking as I was reading down the thread. Good example would be Finley with Dallas. Last few years he was never the one cutting for Nash feeds. This will all change likely someday with Mahinmi who is made for those kinds of plays much like DRob was. I expect Parker to Mahinmi to be a frequent refrain on dives and oops in the future. Maybe Sankidize too. He's long and reportedly very athletic. We can hope.